Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far my experience with the iPhone 4 4.0.1 jailbreak hasn't exactly been phenomenal. I have yet to find anything in the Cydia store that works, and the Cydia store itself is barely working. Is anyone else experiencing this? I think the Cydia store issue is just due to the server being overloaded, but I don't know for certain. The stuff I've installed not working at all (such as AdBlock), that is a different issue. Does anything work in 4.0.1?

[quote name='Malik112099']haha! You need to add sources/repositories.....[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll bite. WHAT sources/repositories should be added, and why?

[quote name='crunchewy']So far my experience with the iPhone 4 4.0.1 jailbreak hasn't exactly been phenomenal. I have yet to find anything in the Cydia store that works, and the Cydia store itself is barely working. Is anyone else experiencing this? I think the Cydia store issue is just due to the server being overloaded, but I don't know for certain. The stuff I've installed not working at all (such as AdBlock), that is a different issue. Does anything work in 4.0.1?

Ok, I'll bite. WHAT sources/repositories should be added, and why?[/QUOTE]

I'm very happy with my Jailbreak on my iP4 4.0.1. I missed SBSettings. Also OpenSSH for customizing SMS tones, which is something u can't customize on an unjailbroken phone. I have the zelda secret tune as my text message sound. :) Also, the Activator settings are really nice.

As far as I've tried, only MobileTerminal is not working for me at the moment. Crashes when I try to boot it.

[quote name='crunchewy']So far my experience with the iPhone 4 4.0.1 jailbreak hasn't exactly been phenomenal. I have yet to find anything in the Cydia store that works, and the Cydia store itself is barely working. Is anyone else experiencing this? I think the Cydia store issue is just due to the server being overloaded, but I don't know for certain. The stuff I've installed not working at all (such as AdBlock), that is a different issue. Does anything work in 4.0.1?

Ok, I'll bite. WHAT sources/repositories should be added, and why?[/QUOTE]

ios4 compatibility list which is updated frequently: https://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?key=tz1lkTAAwtDi_7HJxef0Vgg&f=true&gid=1

do a google search for cydia repos. There are a lot. The why should be obvious...more repos = more apps

Damnit, I lost another iPod Touch. It appears to have been stolen this time. Does anyone know any way to locate an iPod Touch through Wi-Fi or something?

[quote name='CONMAN999']Damnit, I lost another iPod Touch. It appears to have been stolen this time. Does anyone know any way to locate an iPod Touch through Wi-Fi or something?[/QUOTE]

I doubt there is a way to do that, but more importantly you're going to want to change all of your account passwords. If they can get into your email they may be able to access far worst things than your ipod touch (i.e. your credit and bank accounts). If I were you I'd spend my afternoon changing passwords.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']I doubt there is a way to do that, but more importantly you're going to want to change all of your account passwords. If they can get into your email they may be able to access far worst things than your ipod touch (i.e. your credit and bank accounts). If I were you I'd spend my afternoon changing passwords.[/QUOTE]
Well, I'm 16 so I don't have stuff like a bank account, but I have an Amazon account and the likes. It may seriously suck if they can access my email. I'm not a 100% sure it was stolen but fuck me anyway.

Anyone bought Hero of Sparta 2 yet? I've got another $15 credit to use and after i buy the last 3 Dexter episodes i need, the other $9 is freebie money to spend :D

im pissed my laptop is broken...i've been having to direct download stuff through the iStore app and App Store app and can't upgrade to 4.0 :(

Just want to give a second thumbs up to Nimble Strong, even if you have little interest in real bartending, it's a fun game. Give the demo a shot.

The cooking games? Pretty awful.

WHY WONT THE GAMEBOOK ADVENTURES TITLES GO ON SALE?!

Sentinel 2 is free. It's regarded by many as one of the top TD games on the iPhone so get it if you haven't. I believe it's part of OpenFeint's best freebies.

/recovered iPod :)

You might notice that the iPhone thread icon has been changed to an Apple icon. We're going to be adding Apps to the CAG db, giving users the same price tracking, email alerts and collection/wish list options as other games. There will be some new stuff coming too. I think it makes more sense to use the Apple icon since it would be pretty hard to differentiate an iPad from an iPhone at 15x15 pixels. Stay tuned!

[quote name='CONMAN999']Damnit, I lost another iPod Touch. It appears to have been stolen this time. Does anyone know any way to locate an iPod Touch through Wi-Fi or something?[/QUOTE]

You can do it if you have mobileme...But I'm assuming you don't.

[quote name='CheapyD']You might notice that the iPhone thread icon has been changed to an Apple icon. We're going to be adding Apps to the CAG db, giving users the same price tracking, email alerts and collection/wish list options as other games. There will be some new stuff coming too. I think it makes more sense to use the Apple icon since it would be pretty hard to differentiate an iPad from an iPhone at 15x15 pixels. Stay tuned![/QUOTE]

Awesome
headbang.gif

The time management game Mystic Emporium is FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/mystic-emporium/id356828783?mt=8).

"ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE!
That is how it works in Mystic Emporium! Take over a musty old magic shop located in the enchanting world of wizardry! This is no ordinary shop, for you’ll meet witches, vampires, wizards and ogres, all in a day’s work. Give them what they need and you’ll be generously rewarded!

Join Lilly, a charming young witch as she fulfills her lifelong dream of running a magic shop. Do all you can to keep her in business!

FEATURES:
- Play through 24 magical levels
- Buy upgrades to improve the shop
- Earn trophies and magic charms as rewards
- Manage 7 different kinds of customers
- Unlock 12 unique Magic items for use and sale
- Interesting mini-games to earn charms"

[quote name='CheapyD']You might notice that the iPhone thread icon has been changed to an Apple icon. We're going to be adding Apps to the CAG db, giving users the same price tracking, email alerts and collection/wish list options as other games. There will be some new stuff coming too. I think it makes more sense to use the Apple icon since it would be pretty hard to differentiate an iPad from an iPhone at 15x15 pixels. Stay tuned![/QUOTE]

And this is why his name is CheapyD. :whee:

Monster RPG has dropped to FREE for the first time (http://appshopper.com/games/monster-rpg-2). Pick it up soon if you're interested.

"Monster RPG 2 is a fantasy quest that spans continents and worlds and lets you take a simple villager and develop her into a hero with the power to save her world. The next instalment in the classic Monster RPG series, Monster RPG 2 is a turn-based role-playing game with enough variety, plot twists, secrets, and scenery to keep even the old school players coming back for more. If you loved the 16 bit classics on systems like SNES, you'll love this game. If you've never heard of those games, you're in for a real treat!"

The OpenFeint Free Game of the Day rerun today is the match-3 title Babo Crash HD (http://itunes.apple.com/app/babo-crash-hd/id355348182?mt=8).

"Note - this game contains both iPhone and iPad HD versions of the game - for one low price!!!

Match 3 with a *twist* !

The heroes and villians of the Babo universe unite to duke it out for high scores in a Match 3 game!

Collect gems and fight the Chompii infestation!

Features include:
- Addictive, high tempo match 3 action
- Gorgeous graphics with over-the-top special effects + HD!
- Strategically rotate your iphone to control collapses
- Unleash heroic abilities to destroy tons of gems
- Combo/multiplier system - the faster you match, the higher you score
- 21 levels of madness!
- Leaderboards and Achievements via OpenFeint
- Game save/restore [automatically invoked when you hit *Home* button]"

[quote name='jcp42877']I will ask again...anyone played Hero of Sparta 2 yet on a 3g iTouch?[/QUOTE]

i have it on my iphone 4 but havent played it yet

Yeah, I highly recommend Babo Crash HD. I grabbed it last time it was out, and I'm generally not a huge match 3 fan, but I find this to be a lot of fun. The addition of the Babo characters with their abilities make it a much more exciting game to me, and can't go wrong with a free universal app - it looks great on the iPad.

[quote name='Thrakker']Yeah, I highly recommend Babo Crash HD. I grabbed it last time it was out, and I'm generally not a huge match 3 fan, but I find this to be a lot of fun. The addition of the Babo characters with their abilities make it a much more exciting game to me, and can't go wrong with a free universal app - it looks great on the iPad.[/QUOTE]

While we're on the topic of match 3... Bejeweled 2 + Blitz just got updated to allow use of coins for boosts, which was previously only available on the facebook version. That's another reason why I play Bejeweled 2 a lot... I compete scores with my facebook friends--even those without iphones. :)

[quote name='jcp42877']I will ask again...anyone played Hero of Sparta 2 yet on a 3g iTouch?[/QUOTE]

i'd like to know also, but am hoping for an ipad version

Free App a Day is now showing a Lemmings(!)-inspired game called Chicks for its new feature (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=295).

"one day, a group of chicks was exploring a meadow when they discovered a mysterious hole in the ground. being curious and innocent little creatures, they decided to poke their heads in for a look.
little did they know it was a portal to another dimension!
now the chicks have fallen into a strange world of obstacles, deserts, and glaciers, and they need your help to escape!
use the tools at the bottom of the screen to guide these chicks back to the meadow before time runs out and the portal closes!"

EDIT: I was all excited until I realized this is authored by Triniti Interactive. Yep, it's just another excerpt from their 35-app All-in-1 Gamebox. Dangit.

Not to derail so much, but given all these apps I've been downloading lately... most have this thing call Open Feint integration... Is it safe? Or is it some marketing ploy?

[quote name='Thrakker']Yeah, I highly recommend Babo Crash HD. I grabbed it last time it was out, and I'm generally not a huge match 3 fan, but I find this to be a lot of fun. The addition of the Babo characters with their abilities make it a much more exciting game to me, and can't go wrong with a free universal app - it looks great on the iPad.[/QUOTE]

I just downloaded it - it's certainly a step up from most match-three games.

Thanks all for the notice on this one.

[quote name='javeryh']I don't know about safety but getting achievements in these games is kind of fun.[/QUOTE]

Apple needs to hurry up with Gamecenter.

It's not free, but Asphalt 5 has dropped to only .99 for the first time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/asphalt-5/id336845882?mt=8).

"THERE’S A DREAM CAR FOR YOU
Take a ride in over 30 of the fastest, most prestigious cars you’ve ever dreamed, from manufacturers like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi and Ducati.

THE WORLD IS YOUR RACETRACK
Highly polished HD graphics let you see every detail and animation of the track as you speed over snow, mud, dirt and more in 12 beautiful locations around the world including St. Tropez, Aspen and Las Vegas. Discover hidden shortcuts and jump off ramps!

NEW WAYS TO PLAY
Challenge yourself to 8 different racing events including Drift Contest, Cop Chase, Time Attack, Duel Mode, Last Man Standing and Escape.

RIDE WITH THE PACK
Six-player Bluetooth and Online Multiplayer lets you compete against friends and anyone around the world in tournaments and join the Asphalt Academy on asphalt-5.com. Speed your way to the top of the online leaderboard!

THE SOUND OF SPEED
Tune your car radio to play your favorite songs stored on your iPhone/iPod touch during the race and let the music move you."

The music game Tunes Attack! is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/tunes-attack/id370132051?mt=8).

"> BEAT ALL YOUR TUNES! <
You like Rhythm Games, but you’re fed up with buying a new game to play on a new album?
Play Tunes Attack!

> UNLIMITED PLAYLIST <
Play with your Own Music! Games are Generated by Your Music in Real-Time, you can play with Any Song!

> 3 RHYTHM GAMES IN 1 <
Play the Classic Rhythm game (TAP TAP like), but also a Scooter DRIVING game, and a Space SHOOTER! Of course all in rhythm with your music!

> ONLINE SCOREBOARD <
Perform all the most popular worldwide hits and challenge the WORLD, on each song and each game!

> AMAZING STORYLINE <
Save the world from Tunes Attack in the Career Mode designed with graphic novel, and defeat the FINAL BOSS!

> 2 PLAYERS MODE <
Challenge your friends on the same device!"

In for Babo Crash HD and Luxor (which is still free today). Thanks for the heads up! Also considering buying Bejeweled Blitz now that it's got those nifty new features. I have enjoyed that on Facebook.

The online multiplayer shooting game DinoSmash Online is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/dinosmash-online/id315678214?mt=8).

"Your mission is pretty simple: you have to shoot other dinos in order to score points. To succeed you will have to be the fastest to take the most powerful weapons and use your best skills to navigate and target other internet players.

Up to 16 players from all over the world can compete in various modes including the famous capture the flag and team deathmatch

Features:
- Detailed rendered 3D world and dino characters
- Real-time Internet combat system with up to 16 players
- Advanced Multiplayer features including automatic matchmaking system
- Internet scores
- Stereo 3D sound system
- 5 balanced weapons plus the hook
- Optimized graphics engine with 30-40 fps
- Character customization: 2 Dino races, 24 different heads and 5 body clothes
- Servers in Europe, America and Asia"

[quote name='Dimsdale']The online multiplayer shooting game DinoSmash Online is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/dinosmash-online/id315678214?mt=8).

"Your mission is pretty simple: you have to shoot other dinos in order to score points. To succeed you will have to be the fastest to take the most powerful weapons and use your best skills to navigate and target other internet players.

Up to 16 players from all over the world can compete in various modes including the famous capture the flag and team deathmatch

Features:
- Detailed rendered 3D world and dino characters
- Real-time Internet combat system with up to 16 players
- Advanced Multiplayer features including automatic matchmaking system
- Internet scores
- Stereo 3D sound system
- 5 balanced weapons plus the hook
- Optimized graphics engine with 30-40 fps
- Character customization: 2 Dino races, 24 different heads and 5 body clothes
- Servers in Europe, America and Asia"[/QUOTE]

Game is complete crap ... sounds cool ... it's not. Tried it the last time it was free and the controls are terrible, don't waste your time. Just my 2 cents

Mitube - download youtube vids on Iphone free!
Previously only on Jailbroken Iphone. It got past through apple. Get it now before it gets yanked. Download youtube videos to Iphone.

http://appshopper.com/games/piyo-blocks

306853.png

In collaboration with OpenFeint's Free Game of the Day, Piyo Blocks is Free for TODAY only. Remember to download OpenFeint’s Game Spotlight App to get the Free Game of the Day every day!

http://appshopper.com/games/geometric-flyer-ultimate-addictive

935506.png

Free today
Geometric Flyer is a 3D fast-paced experience unlike any other. The game's visually stunning graphics and unique gameplay style will easily appeal to both experts and casual gamers. As you maneuver through the tunnel, you'll have to dodge an ever-increasing amount of obstacles. But it's not as simple as it sounds,so watch out!!!

http://appshopper.com/games/max-vector

923490.png

MAX VECTOR IS NOW FREE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!!!!

AS SEEN ON THE FRONT PAGE OF TOUCH ARCADE (4th AUGST 2010)!!!

"Max Vector feels like a retro game, not just a game with a retro feel."

This is 8-Bit as you've never seen or heard before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back