Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sandaz93']Hey Guys. I'm trying to use GV on my ipod touch 4g and every time I try and call it says it needs a magic key. Any ideas on what's going on?[/QUOTE]

From the GV Mobile + description:
iPad/iTouch users, READ:
This is not a VoIP/SIP dialer!
This means you can NOT make calls from your device without additional services (Gizmo, etc). Google Voice, the service offered, is not a voice over IP solution.

Somebody said they were going to add a VoIP function later go GV Mobile +. Speaking of that kind of thing, when in the world are we going to get video chat in Skype? Those folks sure are slow to develop their iOS app....

[quote name='cycophuk']From the GV Mobile + description:
iPad/iTouch users, READ:
This is not a VoIP/SIP dialer!
This means you can NOT make calls from your device without additional services (Gizmo, etc). Google Voice, the service offered, is not a voice over IP solution.[/QUOTE]

Thanks...oh well

[quote name='darknight88']GV Mobile + is FREE! Tonight only I think.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gv-m...=10492644-1225267-u488349t2247099f9fp0c0s5814

(Sorry if old)[/QUOTE]

For anyone who caught this great app during the free period... You can dump Text Free and Text Now type apps for free texting without having to wait for the push notification update.

In your google voice settings you have the option to send all text messages received to your email. So you can use the GV Moblie + app to send messages and get the email notification for the replies. I am personally liking it a lot, the free apps always felt bloated and slow. The responses in GV Mobile are almost instantaneous and a very light weight app. Plus you can use a number that is more universal and better long term vs only used for texting.

edit: not to mention the ability to send and manage your texts from any PC. Really nice.

[quote name='j0dy77']For anyone who caught this great app during the free period... You can dump Text Free and Text Now type apps for free texting without having to wait for the push notification update.

In your google voice settings you have the option to send all text messages received to your email. So you can use the GV Moblie + app to send messages and get the email notification for the replies. I am personally liking it a lot, the free apps always felt bloated and slow. The responses in GV Mobile are almost instantaneous and a very light weight app. Plus you can use a number that is more universal and better long term vs only used for texting.

edit: not to mention the ability to send and manage your texts from any PC. Really nice.[/QUOTE]

Hey I have the ipod touch 4G and I downloaded the GV Mobile app for free not knowing what it was....So what exactly can I do with it using a Ipod Touch ?

Lame, Disney and the estate of Dave Stevens should sue the bastard who made that crappy 'rocketeer' game ... got my hopes up so high when I read the name, only to plummet twice as fast when I saw the app store images

[quote name='Unstopabull']how do you use a code to download?[/QUOTE]
You redeem the code either in the iTunes store or in the App Store on the iPhone/iPod Touch by going to the main page and then scrolling all the way to the bottom and tapping "Redeem".

[quote name='Unstopabull']how do you use a code to download?[/QUOTE]

on the computer there is a redeem button on the right hand side of itunes under Quick Links.

on the iphone it's at the very bottom of the Featured tab.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Hey I have the ipod touch 4G and I downloaded the GV Mobile app for free not knowing what it was....So what exactly can I do with it using a Ipod Touch ?[/QUOTE]
You can use it to send SMS via Google Voice. You can also use it to initiate a GV phone call to an actual phone.

(GV is not VoIP)

Not a sale, but texting of the bread is really, really cool.

On the toucharcade forum the one developer mentioned GameCenter support is coming for it.

[quote name='seanr1221']Not a sale, but texting of the bread is really, really cool.

On the toucharcade forum the one developer mentioned GameCenter support is coming for it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for this. I have been wanting this game for a while and had no idea it was out/coming out already.

[quote name='outphase']You can use it to send SMS via Google Voice. You can also use it to initiate a GV phone call to an actual phone.

(GV is not VoIP)[/QUOTE]

How do initiate a GV phone call...it keeps on saying i need a magic key

[quote name='sandaz93']How do initiate a GV phone call...it keeps on saying i need a magic key[/QUOTE]
That's a bug in v1.0.2 that's fixed in 1.0.3. In the mean time, you can get around the error by disabling multiple logins in Gmail.

[quote name='etcrane']Lame, Disney and the estate of Dave Stevens should sue the bastard who made that crappy 'rocketeer' game ... got my hopes up so high when I read the name, only to plummet twice as fast when I saw the app store images[/QUOTE]

Last I checked, Disney does not hold a trademark on the English language. The game would have to violate their intellectual property further than just using a word with an etymology dating back to the 19th century for them to be able to sue anyone.

[quote name='SirDiealot']Apple's remote finally gets an update!

Retina display![/QUOTE]

yeah I just downloaded it. Didn't have this app, gonna see what I can do with it haha

Can any CAG vouch for Star Wars: Trench Run? One of my buddies at work suggested it. Said the latest update made it "rock."

Call me cheap, but I'm not willing to spend $5 on a possibility of a SW game "rocking." So anyone out there played it? :whistle2:?

[quote name='seanr1221']Not a sale, but texting of the bread is really, really cool.

On the toucharcade forum the one developer mentioned GameCenter support is coming for it.[/QUOTE]

looks sweet, i might have to spend the $2 on this one.

[quote name='demonchylde']Can any CAG vouch for Star Wars: Trench Run? One of my buddies at work suggested it. Said the latest update made it "rock."

Call me cheap, but I'm not willing to spend $5 on a possibility of a SW game "rocking." So anyone out there played it? :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

If he has it, can't you get him to let you play it for a few minutes? I'd be skeptical too.

[quote name='arcane93']Last I checked, Disney does not hold a trademark on the English language. The game would have to violate their intellectual property further than just using a word with an etymology dating back to the 19th century for them to be able to sue anyone.[/QUOTE]

;-p ;)

Hellkid: hook & jump is the latest FAAD God freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/app/hellkid-hook-jump/id350273868?mt=8).

"FEATURES

- Item Shop (Various items you can use in the game)
- Valley of Soul (12 levels to clear)
- Valley of Despair (Extreme endless mode)
- Valley of Bones (Extreme hooking mode)
- Road of Perseverance (Continuous Pits)
- Road of Queerness (Continous Bone Towers)
- Global leader boards
- 50 or more Achievements to unlock
- Soccer Mode
- Submit scores to Facebook & Twitter
- Supports playing your own music
- Choose your own title to publish in the leader board
- Six different language support"

Thanks for the suggestion Arcane93 (love that menchi) but unfortunately for me, he works in an office upstate from my location.

[quote name='prayformojo']Monster Mayhem is great, not really tower defense more like touch to kill with some weapon strategy thrown in. Pick it up.[/QUOTE]
Yes, guys don't pass this one up. I've VERY surprised this went free. Great game, well worth the buck I spent for it.

[quote name='prayformojo']Monster Mayhem is great, not really tower defense more like touch to kill with some weapon strategy thrown in. Pick it up.[/QUOTE]

wanted to post and give this app some love too. Really different take on the tower defense genre.. more of just a defense game with live action.. good stuff though!

So what do you guys think the odds are of Minecraft or a rip-off showing up on the App store in the next few months? Seems like the type of game that could easily be converted to iphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back