Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up Osmos, NHL, Baseball 2010, AC2, Spore Creatures, and CoD Zombies. I already had the iPad version of CoD Zombies but it only has 2 levels and runs sluggish; the iPhone version has 4 levels and seems to run a lot smoother (at the cost of graphic quality and non-iPad button placement, but still better than playing with lag).

I already have Peggle, Zombie Infection (both iPhone and iPad versions) and the iPad version of Mirror's Edge... I highly recommend all of these.

O_O INSANE LIST OF GAMES ON SALE.

Grabbed Mirror's Edge, Pac Man: CE, and Peggle.

I might grab Geometry Wars but wanna read up on the controls on an iPhone (4) before biting. Anyone have any input? It seems as if most of the reviews online are for the iPad version...

Thanks, CAG!

Add Star Wars: Cantina to the list of games that are on sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/star-wars-cantina/id363672887?mt=8).

"Hop in the shoes of galactic adventurer Nia Adea and try your hand at running a little cantina on Tatooine - serving refreshments on a hot desert planet can get really hectic! Featuring a colorful clientele familiar to all fans of classic Star Wars: trigger-happy Rodians, burly Gamorreans, Imperial stormtroopers and even a Hutt among others. There is never a dull moment in the Thirsty Bantha Cantina!

Star Wars: Cantina is all about trying to keep your cool when a steady stream of demanding customers all want your attention at the same time. Robb the bartender will take care of mixing the drinks but your task is to see that the right beverage finds its way to the right customer. And don’t keep them waiting, some of the customers are real troublemakers! Working towards your daily quota, accuracy and speed are essential. As a reward for a job well done, outfit your cantina with decorations and attractions to appeal to even the most difficult customers.

Familiar Star Wars characters, original and colorful visual style, a customizable cantina and casual but challenging gameplay make sure that the game feels as fresh as a cool drink on a hot Tatooine afternoon."

Home Run Derby Baseball has dropped to FREE again (http://itunes.apple.com/app/home-run-derby-baseball/id300156714?mt=8#).

"Home Run Derby brings authentic baseball action to your iPhone or iPod! Think you can hit a homerun? Swing your device and see how far you can launch the ball!

This game allows you to swing the bat in 2 different ways. You can use your fingers and flick the screen or you can grip your iPhone/iPod and swing it like a bat! The harder the swing, the further it'll fly!

Home Run Derby allows you to chose from 3 different stadiums(Chicago, New York, Boston) and 2 different game modes. Home Run Derby allows you to practice your swing using Batting Practice Mode or compete against the computer in Home Run Derby Mode."

good god, I thought I had enough games on my consoles lately but dammmmmmn... I guess this is a great time for me since im about to fly out to Jamaica in a few days. w00t Picked up Castlevania, Zenonia 2, probably buy MGS, and possibly AC2.

Just bought: Geometry Wars, Spider, Baseball 2010, and Bookworm.

Debating on: NFS: Shift, NHL 2K11, and Mirror's Edge.
(someone help push me over the edge? lol)

I am so glad I decided to bite on the "buy Energizer batteries, get free iTunes credit" deal that someone posted a while back for Sam's Club last weekend. I have $40 sitting in my iTunes waiting to have a dent taken out of it with these awesome sales...now, what to choose, what to choose...

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Just bought: Geometry Wars, Spider, Baseball 2010, and Bookworm.

Debating on: NFS: Shift, NHL 2K11, and Mirror's Edge.
(someone help push me over the edge? lol)[/QUOTE]

Definitely get Mirror's Edge. I was very skeptical on how it would control, but it controls perfectly and is incredibly fun so far. One of the best controlling iPhone / iPod games I've played so far.

Bit.Trip Beat is pretty fantastic. My only complaint is that they should have had a small area to the left of the play area so you could control the game with touch without obscuring anything. Not sure why they didn't do that. You can drag anywhere on the screen, so you can control it from the right side and only cover up a little of the right side, but that's not ideal either. Tilt control I find shaky, but it might just be my shakiness. In any case the game plays smooth as butter and basically rocks. Definitely worth picking up for $1.99!

Bought:

MYST

Peggle

Pumpkin Maker - Free (This was free but awesome, and new.)

Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor

Osmos

Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2

Bit.Trip Beat (Which is absolutely amazing.)

Picked up:

Doom II RPG
Peggle
Spider
Bookworm
Osmos
Geometry Wars Touch
Castlevania Puzzle
Doom Resurrection
Mirror's Edge
Myst

Sadly, won't be getting Pac-man CE because of reports of sloppy controls and the $4 "expansion pack" which is really just 1/4 of the actual game...

Somebody recommend me some others that are on sale, I'm on a buying spree and my iPod couldn't be happier.

I can't stop buying...

Looks like these sales might be sponsored by Apple? There's a new section in the app store called Big Games, Great Prices that I've never noticed before.

I just have to say that I may be in the minority, but I bought Pac-Man: CE a while back and I think the swipe controls actually work rather well.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Bought Zenonia and Crash Nitro Kart 2 so far. Any opinions on Zombie Infection and ACII?[/QUOTE]

Z:I is absolutely amazing.

these iphone app sales like this one is getting to be like the steam sales.. which sucks cuz I'm just buying or wanting to buy just because it's on sale.. ahh!

[quote name='aznguyen316']these iphone app sales like this one is getting to be like the steam sales.. which sucks cuz I'm just buying or wanting to buy just because it's on sale.. ahh![/QUOTE]

It's a hobby, bruh. Buyin' all this nice stuff. It's a hobby to me and it's the thrill of the hunt. And I damn sure enjoy it.

So far I'm quite impressed with Civ Rev, the graphics stink and it takes a little bit to learn what's what but it does have a lot of the same Civ concepts. Just like in the "real" versions, I'm having fun exploring, settling and building wonders.

So... I got an error when I bought Archetype "Unable to buy"
But it downloaded and installed. And when I checke the game page, it says "Installed." So did I get it for free or something?

PAC-Man CE I got a while back and IMHO it's great! Swipe controls work quite well. Yes there's an expansion but it's all worth it. Also decided to take a chance on Zenonia. So I've bought that , Bit.Trip Beat and Spider. Tried tge later two and they are both great so far.

So I made all my official purchases from this sale. Picked up Mirror's Edge, Peggle, Assassin's Creed II: Discovery, and 9 Innings Pro Baseball. So all in all, I spent $5 and got 4 games. That's awesome. I mean, some of the games are under $1.00, that's like heaven for a gamer! I would have bought more, but the wife cut me off. Dammit!

What are the controls and game like for Mirror's Edge? My device is over-stuffed now with applications from all these price drops and it was the only one I was on the fence about. I hate virtual D-pads and am kinda meh about the "go as far as you can that way" sort of games (which it seems Mirror's Edge might have one or both of).

[quote name='Smaxor']What are the controls and game like for Mirror's Edge? My device is over-stuffed now with applications from all these price drops and it was the only one I was on the fence about. I hate virtual D-pads and am kinda meh about the "go as far as you can that way" sort of games (which it seems Mirror's Edge might have one or both of).[/QUOTE]

It's all based on swipes.

Eugh, a lot of this crap I bought is crap.

Osmos and Mirror's Edge are the only real good ones from the sale I didn't already have. Doom 2 RPG is a must if you like the old school first person grid RPGs like the old Might and Magics. Spider is fantastic. Zombie Infection is not bad.

Mirror's Edge seems good so far. Swipe to run and Faith will just do the running herself. Swipe to jump and slide when you need to.

Osmos tries way too hard to be indie but it isn't bad for a Flash game.

[quote name='mightymek']So I made all my official purchases from this sale. Picked up Mirror's Edge, Peggle, Assassin's Creed II: Discovery, and 9 Innings Pro Baseball. So all in all, I spent $5 and got 4 games. That's awesome. I mean, some of the games are under $1.00, that's like heaven for a gamer! I would have bought more, but the wife cut me off. Dammit![/QUOTE]

You let her cut yer ass off at 5 bucks? Wtf.

Be a man and spend money on THEM APPS!!! I drop dozens a day on THEM APPS!!!

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I'd slap my bish if she told me no more apps after 5.00.[/QUOTE]

^^ Hahahaha I'm rollin' on the floor from laughin' so hard at this one got damn i was gonna cosign but shit you know people be watchin' n shit lol

I'm glad I didn't buy FF1 & 2, instead only 1, because I'm not going to make it far in this game. I forgot how much I hated random battles. What a great way to make you dread moving/exploring. At least I know not to get the squel nor any old school RPG.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm glad I didn't buy FF1 & 2, instead only 1, because I'm not going to make it far in this game. I forgot how much I hated random battles. What a great way to make you dread moving/exploring. At least I know not to get the squel nor any old school RPG.[/QUOTE]

I like them random battles man, shit...

is Zenonia 2 worth the extra $1 over Zenonia 1? lol I guess for the possibility of an update for Retina? how old/new is Zenonia 2? Getting annoyed at some of the apps that don't support multitasking =)

AppShopper sent me a lot of price drop e-mails. I ended up purchasing Super Monkey Ball 2, Mirror's Edge, Zenonia 2 and Peggle (which I already own on two other devices).

I really wish geoDefense/Swarm and Canabalt would drop to $1.

[quote name='Hostile']AppShopper sent me a lot of price drop e-mails. I ended up purchasing Super Monkey Ball 2, Mirror's Edge, Zenonia 2 and Peggle (which I already own on two other devices).

I really wish geoDefense/Swarm and Canabalt would drop to $1.[/QUOTE]

Damn you just had to let me know that super monkey ball 2 was on sale too didnt you? now i have to go and buy it.. thanks... haha

This huge sale couldnt have landed at a more opportune time for me.. im headed to Jamaica saturday morning.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']You let her cut yer ass off at 5 bucks? Wtf.

Be a man and spend money on THEM APPS!!! I drop dozens a day on THEM APPS!!![/QUOTE]

thats your problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back