Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indiana Jones and the Lost Puzzles has dropped from $3.99 to .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/indiana-jones-lost-puzzles/id330287294?mt=8)
"Follow Indiana Jones to ancient ruins to solve puzzles and uncover forgotten treasures!

Indiana Jones and the Lost Puzzles is a game that is easy to pick up, a breeze to control, and fun to play. Connect tiles of the same color to create long puzzle chains. Avoid snakes, collect power-ups, and master the challenges to make your way through the ruins and maximize the treasure."

Also, LEGO Batman: Gotham City Games dropped from $1.99 to .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/lego-batman-gotham-city-games/id299769989?mt=8)
"LEGO Batman: Gotham City Games is a companion game to LEGO Batman designed exclusively for the iPhone and iPod touch.

Take on a variety of challenges thrown at you by the Heroes and Villains of Gotham. Throughout Gotham City you will find 16 classic stylized minigames that take you from deep within the heart of Wayne Manor, through the night’s sky piloting the swift LEGO Batwing, and even solve some of The Riddler’s most mind-bending puzzles. Each challenge is linked together by a brand new story, shown through beautiful hand rendered cut scenes, backed by a full orchestral soundtrack."

A different kind of shooter called BoxBattle is available for FREE right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boxbattle-shoot-at-matchboxes/id363495257?mt=8#)

"Clever Strategy + Awesome Firepower = BoxBattle ***It’s a blast!***

40 years of war between the Quarks and Tulans have left the planet ravaged and resources scarce. You’re a Recruit Gunner just learning to use the advanced Quark artillery cannons against the elaborate barricades of the Tulans. Are you ready for the ultimate challenge?

Over 130 explosive levels of varying difficulty await. Devise strategies to batter the barricades, using the least amount of ammunition. The goal is to destroy as many green boxes as possible, while avoiding the red boxes."

[quote name='Dimsdale']Free App a Day is going to be featuring Marbles Multiball 3D -- The Castle Adventure tomorrow, but you can download it now for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/marbles-multiball-3d-the-castle/id338663277?mt=8).

"Marbles Multiball is a coordination game - but not your average one!
Dive into the mystic world of Marbles Multiball!
Tilt your device to control many marbles simultaneously through atmospheric 3D levels!

Master ramps, traps and slopes, solve puzzles and crazy labyrinths. Use the realistic physics to your need!
Find hidden shortcuts and use all your brains to solve the later levels in this unique combination of skill, puzzle and action. This game will keep you entertained for hours and hours!"[/QUOTE]

This game is pretty fun, Universal, and I really like the Escher-like graphic style. Thanks.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Indiana Jones and the Lost Puzzles has dropped from $3.99 to .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/indiana-jones-lost-puzzles/id330287294?mt=8)
"Follow Indiana Jones to ancient ruins to solve puzzles and uncover forgotten treasures!

Indiana Jones and the Lost Puzzles is a game that is easy to pick up, a breeze to control, and fun to play. Connect tiles of the same color to create long puzzle chains. Avoid snakes, collect power-ups, and master the challenges to make your way through the ruins and maximize the treasure."
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info!

I'm really getting into making my own ringtones in iTunes. Screw paying for something twice through Apple.

I made an original soundtrack ringtone from NES metroid, SNES actraiser, and Zelda Ocarina of Time.

if you can guess any of them, ill upload em :whistle2:D

[quote name='kurrptsenate']I'm really getting into making my own ringtones in iTunes. Screw paying for something twice through Apple.

I made an original soundtrack ringtone from NES metroid, SNES actraiser, and Zelda Ocarina of Time.

if you can guess any of them, ill upload em :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

You can't -- it violates copyright or whatever... I did this for a while too, before I realized no one ever voice calls me; too bad you can't have specialized ringtones for SMS and IM...

Back on target, I'm still kicking myself for not buying Sudoku 2 Pro when it was at its 4-day introductory price of $1.99. Does anyone know of good deals on iTunes cards??

Tons of freebies for the Fourth of July weekend:

• NetherWord

Rating:4.50 (17)Version:1.2 ****** FREE UNTIL THE NEXT UPDATE ******** The Next Update Will Include: • Pass and Play • "Computer finishes the word" - You asked we listen! • iPad graphics ****** FREE...

• 050282.png
    BlockUp

Rating:4.00 (29)Version:1.03 BlockUp is Free for TODAY only!!! Review by Gypsy Cruiser ★★★★★ Interesting puzzle game. Easy to learn and fun to play. Very well done developers. Looks so simple but is so challenging at...

• GodFinger

Rating:3.00 (36011)Version:2.1 - New graphics and particle effects for iPhone 4 retina display - Graphics upgraded for OS 3.0 and iOS4 - Major fixes to better support iOS4 - Faster
  • FREE

• Duck Cannon

Rating:3.50 (9)Version:1.1 ***FREE FOR THE 4th OF JULY WEEKEND*** Quapp Entertainment's Duck Cannon is quick addictive explosive cartoon action fun! Just a tilt then a tap and you're off! How to Play: launch the duck and...
  • Free
  • Save Teddy!

Rating:3.50 (10)Version:1.0 **************Warning-Addictive********** FREE for the next 24 hours! Oh no! Teddy has wandered off and finds himself dangling dangerously from a balloon. Only you can save him by getting him...

[quote name='walletandgromice']You can't -- it violates copyright or whatever... I did this for a while too, before I realized no one ever voice calls me; too bad you can't have specialized ringtones for SMS and IM...

Back on target, I'm still kicking myself for not buying Sudoku 2 Pro when it was at its 4-day introductory price of $1.99. Does anyone know of good deals on iTunes cards??[/QUOTE]

If you own a physical CD/Track, you import it through iTunes, then its a matter of making it an AAC version, then renaming it. How could that possibly violate copyright when iTunes is doing it for you lol?

I think he is saying you can't upload them to play his guessing game.
I think you are allowed if you limit it to so many seconds.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']I'm really getting into making my own ringtones in iTunes. Screw paying for something twice through Apple.

I converted some ringtone files from the web into iPhone ringtones using Garageband. If you've got a Mac, Garageband does the trick. Mine are sounds from pinball machines. Oh, and I'll guess Free Bird!

Ventones is the way to go for freebie ringtones. Upload your MP3 and select your 30 secs. It converts it for you and all you do is download the M4R.

[quote name='crunchewy']I converted some ringtone files from the web into iPhone ringtones using Garageband. If you've got a Mac, Garageband does the trick. Mine are sounds from pinball machines. Oh, and I'll guess Free Bird![/QUOTE]

haha nah. i wanted people to guess the nes and snes tracks

I would guess the got an item music from Metroid. Not sure for actraiser, and probably either getting the master sword, or getting an item in Zelda, or the main overworld theme.

I did something similar with the Final Fantasy Victory Theme from 7, 8, 9, 10, Chrono Trigger / Cross Victory Theme for ring-tones and various Mario Death sounds to use for timer expiring sounds.

i was going to pick get an item music for something non-ring tone related, but didnt get to that point yet. the LttP overworld is nice, but I prefer another.

I also made one from ocarina of time, the windmill shop theme. best part of that entire game for me

just got a game called Dungeon Hunter. Imagine a mix between diablo + untold legends (PSP). also has an in-game feature to play music off your iPod. Fantastic graphics and controls. I'd expect to sink at least 10-20 hours into it. Quite surprised its for the iPhone/Touch based on the quality

[quote name='kurrptsenate']just got a game called Dungeon Hunter. Imagine a mix between diablo + untold legends (PSP). also has an in-game feature to play music off your iPod. Fantastic graphics and controls. I'd expect to sink at least 10-20 hours into it. Quite surprised its for the iPhone/Touch based on the quality[/QUOTE]

I've been waiting for that to drop in price for a little while now. It was $.99 about 2 months back, and I just missed the sale.

[quote name='walletandgromice']Does anyone know of good deals on iTunes cards??[/QUOTE]
No idea if this is an advertised deal, local sale only, normal pricing, or something else, but when I was at Best Buy this afternoon I noticed they had iTunes cards priced at 10% off face value.

Namco is having a sale this weekend (starting tomorrow) for Pac-man's 30th birthday. I apologize if I missed this post somewhere in here, but in a quick scroll-through on several pages I didn't see anything. Either way, here's what is being discounted for the iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch:

iPhone and iPad

· Ace Combat Xi: $4.99 → $2.99

· Alpine Racer: $1.99 → $0.99

· Brain Exercise: $4.99 → $1.99

· Dig Dug REMIX: $2.99 → $0.99

· Galaga Remix: $2.99 → $0.99

Garter & Ghouls: $1.99 → $0.99

· Gator Panic: 1.99 → $0.99

· i Love Katamari: $4.99 → $2.99

· Inspector Gadget: $2.99 → $0.99

· Isaac Newton’s Gravity: $2.99 → $1.99

· Lt. Fly: Rise of the Arachnids: $1.99 → $0.99

· Mr. Driller: $1.99 → $0.99

· Ms. PAC-MAN: $4.99 → $0.99

· PAC-MAN: $4.99 → $2.99

· Pole Position: $2.99 → $0.99

· Pool Pro Online 3: $1.99 → $0.99

· Star Trigon: $1.99 → $0.99

· Tamagotchi: $4.99 → $1.99

· Time Crisis: $4.99 → $0.99

· Tinseltown Dreams: The 50's: $2.99 → $0.99

· PAC-Match Party: $1.99 → $0.99

· Isaac Newton’s Gravity: $9.99 → $6.99

· Pool Pro Online 3: $1.99 → $0.99

(Stolen from Destructoid.com)

[quote name='microcuts777']Namco is having a sale this weekend (starting tomorrow) for Pac-man's 30th birthday. I apologize if I missed this post somewhere in here, but in a quick scroll-through on several pages I didn't see anything. Either way, here's what is being discounted for the iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch:[/QUOTE]

Be warned that some of the Namco games don't work with iOS 4 yet. Of the ones that I have, Dig Dug Remix and Galaga Remix do not work (they crash on start-up), while Pac Man Remix and Pole Position Remix do work. If you're running iOS 4, you might want to check the reviews before buying.

On the other hand, I assume they'll fix them eventually. Maybe this sale means that the fixes are imminent.

Whered you get the tracks? Ive been looking for Vampire Killer from Castlevania 1 to make into a ringtone.

When the hell is infinity gene going on sale?

Also, JotNot is on sale for $1. It's an OCR doc scanner. Judging by the reviews, I think you probably need a 3gs or 4 in order for it to work best.

[quote name='microcuts777']Namco is having a sale this weekend (starting tomorrow) for Pac-man's 30th birthday.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, will probably pick up Time Crisis and Katamari.

[quote name='TheRock88']Thanks, will probably pick up Time Crisis and Katamari.[/QUOTE]

I definitely recommend Time Crisis. I bought it a while back when it was .99 and it is definitely one of my favorite iphone games that i have.

[quote name='DtotheP']When the hell is infinity gene going on sale?[/QUOTE]

I've been wondering the same thing. I know it's TAITO, but every time I see a Namco sale, I get pissed that this seems to never go on sale. I want it, but I don't want to shell out $4.99 for it. Already have Space Invaders Extreme for 360 so that's what I play if I really want a fix.

[quote name='Grecco']Whered you get the tracks? Ive been looking for Vampire Killer from Castlevania 1 to make into a ringtone.[/QUOTE]

VGMUSIC is one thats midi but not 100% accurate.

i forget the other

My friend persuaded me to download Farm Story and while I was hesitant at first it has actually become a very simplistic (in the good way), stress-free way to have fun.

It's free...but of course if you spend money you get some extra bells and whistles.

What does the little + icon on the App store buttons mean?

Also, Time Crisis Iphone is nice for $1 but you can literally start it up and beat it in the time it takes a commercial break to finish.

[quote name='RollingSkull']What does the little + icon on the App store buttons mean?

Also, Time Crisis Iphone is nice for $1 but you can literally start it up and beat it in the time it takes a commercial break to finish.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the "+" is games that are compatible with both the iPad and iPhone...but give me 3 minutes and I'll find out for sure and edit the post...

[quote name='microcuts777']I'm pretty sure the "+" is games that are compatible with both the iPad and iPhone...but give me 3 minutes and I'll find out for sure and edit the post...[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what it means.

[quote name='Grecco']Whered you get the tracks? Ive been looking for Vampire Killer from Castlevania 1 to make into a ringtone.[/QUOTE]
This is getting a little off-topic, but I usually find NSF files of NES music -- I think it's their native format -- then use another program (search NSF to MP3 converter) to convert them to MP3.

[quote name='guardkitty']Anyone try Katamari yet on the Iphone 4? I heard it was slow even on 3gs and thought it might actually be playable on the newer phone[/QUOTE]
No, but NobyNoby is buggy as fuck on iOS4. It's a drag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back