Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sandaz93']Hey guys, I just ordered an ipod touch (32gb) from Amazon and was wondering if anyone knows some "must-have games" Im have about 15 bucks to spend on apps at the moment, until next friday.I saw HAWX for .99cents, anyone know if that is any good?[/QUOTE]Espgaluda II

Just finished Doom II RPG this morning. That was a fun game, but much easier that Wolfenstein RPG. Certainly worth the $3 if you're into that sort of thing.

I wish someone would take that turn based adventure RPG formula, but actually make it look good.

Has anyone tried the new Stars Wars TD game? Graphics look below average on the screen shots but I was wondering how well it played.

TRON By Disney ------ FREE!!!

432246.png

http://itunes.apple.com/app/tron/id381432246?mt=8

When are we supposed to get Game Center?

Also, a Sword of Fargoal update was just released that added Retina Display support and other stuff.

I've been enjoying Wheel of Fortune in spite of the fact that it's a horrid buggy mess. I hope they get cracking on the bug fixes, which they are promising, as it would be a bargain at 99 cents, with offline and online play, if it weren't for the bugs.

[quote name='porieux']Thanks! Anyone know if this is available in-store?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure the $15 off works in-store as well as online. If I had an extra $85 laying around, I'd let you know for sure. IF . . .

[quote name='spsummers']Has anyone tried the new Stars Wars TD game? Graphics look below average on the screen shots but I was wondering how well it played.[/QUOTE]

It's a decent tower defense game (there definitely are better). If you are a Star Wars fan, it's probably one of the better Star Wars games in the app store right now.

The new OpenFeint free game feature for Monday is BomberDove (http://itunes.apple.com/app/bomberdove/id326179984?mt=8).

"BomberDove is a fun and addicting shooting game with a comic touch! Have you ever been bombed by a dove? Now's your chance to get your revenge. Shoot the doves to score points, unlock achivementes and compare your score online with OpenFeint. Play Timed mode to score as many point as you can within the time limit, Endless mode for maximum score and Dodge mode to see how long can you last without dying."

[quote name='spsummers']Has anyone tried the new Stars Wars TD game? Graphics look below average on the screen shots but I was wondering how well it played.[/QUOTE]

save your money. its easy and boring.

For those who just don't have enough jumping games, the newly released (ad supported) Jumpbot is available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jumpbot/id380878818?mt=8).

"Looking for a game to pass the time? Jump your way to the top with Jumpbot! Brave fast-moving platforms, escape from the dreaded spikes, grab the bonus transmitters, change your look or even turn into the invincible "Iron-man"! Play and compete with your friends online via OpenFeint's Leaderboards and Achievements. Grab a copy now--its FREE!"

Another OpenFeint free game is now available. Flubby Physics (http://itunes.apple.com/app/flubby-physics/id351334556?mt=8) is described thusly:

"Baby Flubbies have wandered into a haunted mansion guarded by evil ghosts. Save the Flubbies before these ghosts haunt them to their end.

The devious ghosts have trapped the Flubbies within puzzles governed by the laws of physics. Think fast, tap away and bust these ghosts to crack these puzzles before its too late for the Flubbies."

Not to derail the thread, but if I have rRootage and Baron Red Elite, is Espgaluda worth the money? I mean, I get a bullet fix from those two, and they're free, so is Espgaluda so much better that it deserves money?

Also, Digital Heist is free today.

Downloaded Appzilla 90-in-1 after seeing it on The Big App Show, and it's a lot of app for $0.99. Some really handy/fun programs like a drum pad, metronome, 4-clock grill timer, and rhyme dictionary. You can find a lot of these individually for free, but I can't imagine someone not getting their money's worth out of this.

http://appshopper.com/utilities/50-in-1-appzilla
(not sure why the appshopper page calls it 50-in-1; maybe that was an earlier version?)

[quote name='Relysis']Not to derail the thread, but if I have rRootage and Baron Red Elite, is Espgaluda worth the money? I mean, I get a bullet fix from those two, and they're free, so is Espgaluda so much better that it deserves money?

Also, Digital Heist is free today.[/QUOTE]

rRootage is quite good but it's a pretty dull boss rush at heart. Espgaluda will remind you why some people actually PAY for shmups. It's just great.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I bought Appzilla months ago, it's a great app.[/QUOTE]

I bought this just now. Hope you're not trolling Fire_Thief.

I loved the light version of Espgaluda II, but the only app I paid that much for was Human Japanese (an excellent Japan language course app). How many levels are there, anyway?

Instead, I bought Sky Thunder and Sky Force Reloaded -- both $1.99 -- and downloaded the free Space Deadbeef and Dragonforce Light.

Are there any good shooters (multiplayer online or offline single player) that are good? I already have NOVA. Also what are the best racing games and flight sim games?

iQuarters
Universal

846955.png

"The FreeAppADay App introduced iQuarters as Today's Featured Free App".

Corner pubs and frat houses rejoice – the game of quarters has come to the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch! From the makers of Golden Tee® Golf, Incredible Technologies iQuarters shines a new light of challenge and skill on the tavern table game we’ve all grown to love. So step away from that beer soaked table, my friends – quarters has gone 2.0...

http://appshopper.com/games/iquarters

Doodle Sky has been released for FREE (with in-app DLC). Get it here if you're interested: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/doodle-sky/id375932972?mt=8

"There are different missions in different stages. For example, you can destroy the enemies, protect the VIP, and take part in the decapitation strike and so on. You will feel enjoyable and excited about different missions.

There are eight aircrafts with different attributes for the players to control. You will find it easy to play if you can take advantages of the different attributes and abilities.

Besides the gorgeous and exciting battle, the game system will give corresponding scores based on the players’ performance. There are also medal of honors and titles for you to take!"

Archetype is strictly team deathmatch from what I've read, so be aware of that. There's also Eliminate but it has that freemium thing going on. I'm waiting until I get my 4 to buy archetype.

http://appshopper.com/games/steam-pirates

On Sale Now!
Steam Pirates, the latest creation from the mind of Luc Bernard, is a zany, colorful, casual RPG/Adventure game featuring a loaded cast of pirates, pugs, cats, and rockstars!

"The combat is a blast, but the real star here is the world Bernard has created... Steam Pirates is really shaping up to be something special. In a world with a thousand movie tie-in games and old franchises chugging along, it's refreshing to play something so original." - SlideToPlay.com

Espgaluda II is definitely worth the money. Consider that import copies of Cave's other shmups on consoles routinely run people $100+, and you're getting a portable version that legitimately compares with its big brothers, paired with a great control scheme, for a fraction of the cost. It's one of my most-played games on iPhone.

Just a note: Archetype is REALLY COOL- especially on an iphone 4 / retina display.

It has a few loose ends to tie up, but even as-is, it's the best multiplayer game I have, and my favorite FPS on the iphone.

After reading the comments, I've decided to buy Espgaluda 2. Even as a SHMUP fan, I have a hard time buying games at "full price". I know as soon as I buy it, they will have a sale.

[quote name='tenchim86']There's a small gameloft sale for $0.99 from $4.99.

Dungeon Hunter
http://appshopper.com/games/dungeon-hunter

Modern Combat: Sandstorm
http://appshopper.com/games/modern-combat-sandstorm-2

Skater Nation
http://appshopper.com/games/skater-nation

I definitely recommend dungeon hunter if you like diablo-esque games. I've heard good things about modern combat if you're into FPS.[/QUOTE]

Score! I've been waiting for Dungeon Hunter to drop since I missed the sale last time.

Edit: Snagged Modern Combat as well, since it's never been this low, and I don't think it'll ever go free. Here's hoping it's worth $.99.

Foster your inner calculator with the math racing game Mindracer Duel, currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/mindracer-duel/id318847713?mt=8).

"Release your inner geek in this intense math racing game. The goal is to finish the race as fast as possible by solving math problems - and thereby earn infinite glory, hot babes and an akward award for the best looking math geek. You can play alone against the time and train you ridiculously underdeveloped mental arithmetic skills until exhaution. This will reward you with the speed and accuracy of a mighty math demigod (or your head will explode). OR you can humiliate your vicinity in the two player mode."

Grabbed Dungeon Hunters and Modern Combat. I was waiting for the iPad versions to go on sale but they never do, and I'm not going to pay 5x or more for better graphics.

Another shmup promising plenty of bullet-hell fun, Goku Flight is FREE for 24 hours (http://itunes.apple.com/app/goku-flight/id374557510?mt=8).

"This exciting game offers real bullet hell for real shooting fans. Developed by two veteran gamers and 4 months in the works, this game will provide gamers with endless hours of fun. With superb graphics, colourfully detailed backgrounds, fast action, 1 game modes and 3 difficult levels settings for all types of shooting fans."

A couple questions. First, can some one please tell me what the appeal of espgaluda is? I played the demo and it seemed fairly standard shooter fare. Is it just because the controls work well? I just don't really see it as worth 10 dollars, when I could get chinatown wars, or chaos rings for right around the same price. Also is modern combat worth 99 cents?

[quote name='shiftdeleted']Just a note: Archetype is REALLY COOL- especially on an iphone 4 / retina display.

It has a few loose ends to tie up, but even as-is, it's the best multiplayer game I have, and my favorite FPS on the iphone.

After reading the comments, I've decided to buy Espgaluda 2. Even as a SHMUP fan, I have a hard time buying games at "full price". I know as soon as I buy it, they will have a sale.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be so sure. Apparently the only time Espgaluda 2 went on sale was the first week it came out, so I'd say buying it at full price is a pretty safe move, unless you turn out to hate it obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back