Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Castlevania: Encore of the Night is pretty tepid. Presentation is awful, the SotN music is overplayed, the shameless nostalgia grab is grotesque, the pacing is just awful.

It's a competent puzzler but it's closer to a 99 cent buy.

[quote name='$hady']Did you buy it or just referring to screens? It looks pretty but i've never played a mobile football game seems controls would be rough.. I'll wait for a deal. ;)[/QUOTE]

I bought it. It looks amazing. I was showing people at work last night and they were really impressed with how great it looks and that it was running on a phone.

[quote name='Malik112099'] there's a way to make the ipad version work with the iphone....google it ;)[/QUOTE]

Hmm, interesting, thanks for the tip Malik, though it doesn't appear to be optimized and it looks like one attempt to circumvent the software and run it on an iphone was already disabled by Netflix.

Now I'm on the fence as to whether to go through the hassle of setting it up or simply waiting for an iphone version that doesn't drain the battery as fast or crash/ cause fragmentation ... ;)

So does anyone else have an issue when trying to put new apps on their iDevice that the list of apps in iTunes that you can check off which ones to sync suddenly stops showing icons, and shows white boxes instead? I've had this happen a few times, and if I try to sync after this, it sort of locks and I've had to restore from backup. I'm nowhere near out of hard drive space, RAM, and still have 5-6 gigs free on the phone. Quite annoying.

After those white icons pop up just respring via sbsettings and that will fix it. Happens to me here and there.

Is no one else addicted to fruit ninja?!?!?

I was gonna do the netflix workaround but decided to wait until the official iPhone app comes out. Don't feel like rebooting every time I use the app.

[quote name='Malik112099']I was gonna do the netflix workaround but decided to wait until the official iPhone app comes out. Don't feel like rebooting every time I use the app.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? I have the workaround and do not have to reboot every time I want to use it. I use it more often that I thought I would. It's great to be able to watch stuff when I am on the treadmill, on the bike or when I am on the bus, I even use it when I am in bed sometimes.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Will Dodonpachi work on a 3gs?[/QUOTE]

I would hope/assume so. iPhone 4 ain't but two months old. No one should be kicking out iPhone 4 exclusives yet.

Still, it looks pretty hot. It's so nice to save Cave step out into the world. I hope this encourages others to join them and realize that the world needs it's shmups.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Remember that Dodonpachi vid for the iPhone I posted a couple of weeks ago? It's Dodonpachi Resurrection!

I'll buy it and still won't be able to play it till I get a new iPhone! GO CAVE. I fuckING HATE MYSELF.:wall:
[/QUOTE]

HELL YES. I still play the shit out of ESPGaluda II. Can't wait!

[quote name='etcrane']
Oh ... and I need to rant ... where the fuck is my iPhone version of Netflix!?!

Wasn't that promised as a summer release? And summer is quickly coming to a close ...[/QUOTE]
Use Playon for the iphone, web app (but you have to purchase the playon server for your PC). I get hulu, netflix, abc, etc on it from anywhere. Totally worth the one time $20 I paid for it to be a founding member.

[quote name='cusoman']Use Playon for the iphone, web app (but you have to purchase the playon server for your PC). I get hulu, netflix, abc, etc on it from anywhere. Totally worth the one time $20 I paid for it to be a founding member.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately that's no good if you don't have a Windows PC. I've only got Macs. Actually I can run Windows in VMWare Fusion, but it's not always available. Also, wouldn't you need to leave your PC on all the time for this to work? For me that would be a deal killer, if so.

To any one who missed Civ Revolution while it was free, its available for .99 cents!

563544.png

http://appshopper.com/games/civilization-revolution

*Civilization Revolution will stay at $0.99 for a limited time to continue its 1 year celebration. Thank you for all the support and feedback*

Build. Discover. Conquer. Rule the World!

Lead your civilization from the dawn of man to the modern age and beyond in Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution. Go head to head with history’s greatest leaders as you wage war, conduct diplomacy, discover new technologies, inspire your nation and build the most powerful empire the world has ever known.

Doodle Cow Jump is FREE so you can satisfy all your bovine leaping desires (http://itunes.apple.com/app/doodle-cow-jump/id385537271?mt=8)

"i like to jump jump!

There is a great and crazy cow said to the whole world: i don't do milking and i just love jumping, all the time!

The cow is always jumping. Just tilt your device to move left or right and try not to fall! you need to make the milk cow avoid clouds making it drop, and you need to move the clouds while step on those enhancing your jumping altitude.
Its one of the games which turns out to be a good time killer. Easy to play and handle.

The higher you go, the higher you score, Will launch you higher when you touch it. and your score will be reckon in the globe ranking, so, move your apple device, and get the higher ranking!"

After playing Castlevania Puzzle, I definitely have mixed feelings. It's great to see Castlevania on the iPhone but the game itself controls terribly. It's hard to get your pieces positioned correctly because the design of your player screen is so small ... the game seems better suited to something like the iPad, where the space could be better utilized but it simply feels cramped and unfriendly on the iPhone. Definitely glad I didn't pay full price ... would have been very disappointed.

Dont be surprised if some good app you've paid for is free on the 21st.
From FADs Facebook/Twitter

FREE APP A DAY Great App Warning!

A popular pretty awesome app is coming live on 8/21! This one won't be $6.99 app but it was previously a top ranked $2.99 app!! Also a fan favorite is coming on deck Tomorrow!

[quote name='etcrane']After playing Castlevania Puzzle, I definitely have mixed feelings. It's great to see Castlevania on the iPhone but the game itself controls terribly. It's hard to get your pieces positioned correctly because the design of your player screen is so small ... the game seems better suited to something like the iPad, where the space could be better utilized but it simply feels cramped and unfriendly on the iPhone. Definitely glad I didn't pay full price ... would have been very disappointed.[/QUOTE]

I paid full price and absolutely loved it. One thing I would like to mention is that you don't necessarily have to tap on the block itself to move it, you can tap anywhere on the screen and drag it in the direction you want it to go, that makes things a lot easier especially on the harder battles that require you to pay full attention to your side of the screen.

[quote name='Malik112099']Is no one else addicted to fruit ninja?!?!?[/QUOTE]

I hate to tell you this, but my 2 year old loves Fruit Ninja. He knows how to turn on my wife's iPhone, unlock it, find and start playing Fruit Ninja all on his own. The boy eats stickers, but can work an iPhone. :roll:

He also likes Bird Strike.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']I just searched for it in the app store and it's still showing up as $6.99...[/QUOTE]

"Taking a cue from PC digital game retailer Steam (and certainly apps like FAAD) BRAVO Game Studios has decided to host a "free to own weekend" for Touch Racing Nitro." it starts friday last till sunday night im guessing.

[quote name='Dmonrei']I paid full price and absolutely loved it. One thing I would like to mention is that you don't necessarily have to tap on the block itself to move it, you can tap anywhere on the screen and drag it in the direction you want it to go, that makes things a lot easier especially on the harder battles that require you to pay full attention to your side of the screen.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why so many are hating on Castlevania. I've played a few dozen rounds and IMO it's really good! Haven't had control issues or screen-size issues. It'd maybe be nice to rotate both directions but that's no big deal.

So I just picked up an iPhone. Easily the coolest piece of technology I've ever owned. My buddy has Sim City Deluxe and loves it, but being a CAG I am wondering if EA is prone sales? Or, are most of the deals from indie studios?

[quote name='Idx86']So I just picked up an iPhone. Easily the coolest piece of technology I've ever owned. My buddy has Sim City Deluxe and loves it, but being a CAG I am wondering if EA is prone sales? Or, are most of the deals from indie studios?[/QUOTE]

EA will give you sales out the ass, as well as Gameloft. Especially Gameloft... always check them out. Now Konami may occasionally shower our ass with a sale, ala the Castlevania. But the two to watch out for are Square Enix and Treasure. The only times they are known to give sales is when they drop a new game. However, their sales are always weak, with the games usually surpassing $5. Gameloft will give us straight $8 apps for 99 cents all the time. That's why I love them so much.

I hope this helped.

[quote name='Idx86']So I just picked up an iPhone. Easily the coolest piece of technology I've ever owned. My buddy has Sim City Deluxe and loves it, but being a CAG I am wondering if EA is prone sales? Or, are most of the deals from indie studios?[/QUOTE]

Appshopper.com keeps a pretty good record of apps' price fluctuation and version histories.

You can find any app and see its trail of pricing since its launch. In your case, you can find all EA games and see how their pricing scheme goes and if there are any tendency for sales etc. :)

EA does have sales. The best way to judge whether an app may go on sale again is to use appshopper.com, which will give you a price history of any app. I can't access it at work. Otherwise, I would have checked Sim City for you.

Ahh, I was beat to the punch...

Thanks guys. I figured Square Enix would be a pain in the ass given that all their DS games are always $5-$10 more than everyone else's.

[quote name='Idx86']So I just picked up an iPhone. Easily the coolest piece of technology I've ever owned. My buddy has Sim City Deluxe and loves it, but being a CAG I am wondering if EA is prone sales?[/QUOTE]
They had the first iPhone version of Sim City on sale for $.99 like 2-3 months ago. EA has sales but usually not big sales on popular titles, and I've never seen a sale on a title as new as Sim City Deluxe. You'll need CAG patience to pick up EA titles at the right time.

-Edit-
Just noticed they took the first iPhone Sim City game down from the app store. Man, that's harsh, that game had tons of bug complaints, and now people who bought it will never get an update (well, they never would have got an update anyway... EA seems to be allergic allergic to patches).

[quote name='Malik112099']After those white icons pop up just respring via sbsettings and that will fix it. Happens to me here and there.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion, but the white icons happen in iTunes on the computer. I have to cancel out of syncing, or else it will just lock when I do, and then I have to restore from backup.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']I just searched for it in the app store and it's still showing up as $6.99...[/QUOTE]

Did you click the link and read the article? If you had, you could have saved yourself some time and a wasted post. I'm not going to tell you why it's not showing up free. You need to make the effort and find out yourself.

The OpenFeint Free Game of the Day is now featuring the rhythm game Drums Challenge (http://itunes.apple.com/app/drums-challenge/id317080099?mt=8).

"Drums Challenge is a music game where you'll be drawn into musical battles with the world's best drummers.

Have fun tapping on a virtual drum kit on your iPhone and iPod. Challenge drummers of different styles such as Jazz, Blues, Funk, Country, Metal, Punk Rock, Latino and Reggae!

Features:
- Styles: Jazz, Blues, Funk, Country, Metal, Punk Rock, Latin and Reggae!
- 25 drum battles
- 8 different drums kits
- Freestyle drum kit with 11 parts"

EA always has games on sale, hell they probably have games on sale right now. Sim City went from 6.99 to 4.99 within like a week and a half of it being out which was over this last weekend. Just wait, this will be .99 cents this holiday season.

Surviving High School's weekly episodes just rolled a big season finale and shipped a bunch of characters off to college. A new season is beginning so now's a good time to drop a dollar and get in if you like that sort of thing.

SHS still has the decent campaign and the weekly episodes, but all the old weekly episodes are now paid DLC. Combine that with the add-on megapacks that are worthwhile and there's probably $14 more to be spent there IF YOU WANT.

India's finest 3D racing game, The Sealink, is currently FREE . . . I don't know if that's a good or bad thing (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-sealink/id364857894?mt=8).

"NOTE: Ranked #3 in Games category and #7 Overall in Indian Appstore! Climbing charts fast worldwide..

The Sealink is First of it's kind 3D Racing game where-in the player can drive his/her favorite car on India's Bandra-Worli Mumbai Sealink!"

More jumping, more better with the FREE NinJump (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ninjump/id379471852?mt=8#).

"In this fast paced ninja climbing game, your goal is to rise as high as you can while avoiding killer squirrels, angry birds, enemy ninjas, throwing stars and exploding bombs. With a simple tap you can jump from one wall to the other, knocking obstacles from the air as you do. Take down three enemies of the same kind to trigger mega-jump bonuses. Collect shields to plow through your opponents with. Just watch out for ledges and other ninjas because they will knock you off and send you to your doom!

You will be amazed by the gorgeous graphics, rich gameplay, immersive music and the insanely addictive quality of this game."

All this talk about squeenix never having sales, and now they're having a sale to commemorate the release of chaos rings for iPad.

Whatever, bout damn time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back