Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Add to your match-3 collection of titles with Magic Gem, currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/magic-gem/id390626914?mt=8).

"If you like swapping and matching jewels then you will love magic gem.

5 game modes, Not only the classic mode, there are more new mode.
★ Classic
- Matching as soon as possible to eliminate jewels, get more time to challenge a higher level.
★ Time Attack
- 2 minutes time limit, matching to eliminate more of the jewels, the challenges higher scores.
★ Cloning Attack
- New game mode to clone 50 different jewels patterns.
★ Task Mode
- Collect the specified number of jewels. Accomplish more tasks.
★ Challenges
- Collection of pirate coins, looking for lost treasure. More use of special jewels, speed up the collection rate."

So has anyone actually seemed to get credit from FAADVIP yet? I think I was among the first on here to sign up and do a review through here, but I'm still listed as pending. Maybe they're just overwhelmed, but they say you should be credited within 48 hours, and not to email them until 72 hours after. I'm right around 72 hours now. Guess I'll give it another day or two, but if it doesn't get credited without my having to email about it, might not be worth the hassle.

[quote name='Thrakker']So has anyone actually seemed to get credit from FAADVIP yet? I think I was among the first on here to sign up and do a review through here, but I'm still listed as pending. Maybe they're just overwhelmed, but they say you should be credited within 48 hours, and not to email them until 72 hours after. I'm right around 72 hours now. Guess I'll give it another day or two, but if it doesn't get credited without my having to email about it, might not be worth the hassle.[/QUOTE]

I've been credited.

Though it may not seem that FAADvip would be successful, they're not the first to do it. Apperang pays you for the app and an extra $.25. It's all funded by the developers. It pushes up their apps on the paid list leading to more downloads. Also, on the side it says "In partnership with appvip.com." I checked that website out and it's basically the same thing but it's all in French. But they have like 5 or 6 apps currently up so I assume that has been around for a bit. But I have not received credit yet, though I reviewed days ago.

Does anyone know the paid version of words with friends is more stable than the free version or does it just remove ads?

Mine seems to freeze frequently.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Does anyone know the paid version of words with friends is more stable than the free version or does it just remove ads?

Mine seems to freeze frequently.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played mine in a while, but it seemed pretty stable on my 3GS. Try restarting your device; that always seems clear things for me.

[quote name='Dimsdale']It's FREE because it's being promoted as OpenFeint's latest Free Game of the Day. Sweet. Thanks for the heads up.[/QUOTE]

I meant that the game was just released, getting good reviews, and already being featured in the app store. Given that, I wouldn't think they would do a free promotion so soon.

Ok so I have an 8 gb iPod to fit 20 gb of music and like 12 gb of apps... yeah. So I'm pretty sure I can select which songs I want by checking those blocks next to the song. But is there any way I can select which apps to have on my iPod.

Thanks for the help

[quote name='CONMAN999']Ok so I have an 8 gb iPod to fit 20 gb of music and like 12 gb of apps... yeah. So I'm pretty sure I can select which songs I want by checking those blocks next to the song. But is there any way I can select which apps to have on my iPod.

Thanks for the help[/QUOTE]
Check the box that says "Manually manage music and videos" so your iPod doesn't try to automatically synch everything when you attach it to your computer. From there, just select the Apps tab and check the boxes for which apps you want to install or remove. That's how I manage my absurdly large collection of stuff (over 1,600 apps and counting).

[quote name='Dimsdale']Check the box that says "Manually manage music and videos" so your iPod doesn't try to automatically synch everything when you attach it to your computer. From there, just select the Apps tab and check the boxes for which apps you want to install or remove. That's how I manage my absurdly large collection of stuff (over 1,600 apps and counting).[/QUOTE]

Manually manage is a bad idea. You can't have multiple ringtones with it and the drag-drop will have to be redone if you upgrade.

What you should do is create a playlist and choose to sync only selected songs and just use that playlist.

Apps can be checked on and off from the phone, apps screen, manually manage or not. Either disable auto-sync or plug in and cancel sync on the phone. Then check only the apps you need.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Does anyone know the paid version of words with friends is more stable than the free version or does it just remove ads?

Mine seems to freeze frequently.[/QUOTE]

I've never had any problems with the paid version. It's also ad free :D

I've not had any freezes in (paid) Words with Friends for a while now. But mainly it just removes the ads.

I'll pick up Solomon's Boneyard for free. Wasn't otherwise going to get it. I like Solomon's Keep fine, but didn't think I needed a variant.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Manually manage is a bad idea. You can't have multiple ringtones with it and the drag-drop will have to be redone if you upgrade.

What you should do is create a playlist and choose to sync only selected songs and just use that playlist.

Apps can be checked on and off from the phone, apps screen, manually manage or not. Either disable auto-sync or plug in and cancel sync on the phone. Then check only the apps you need.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but I thought he wanted to manage his stuff on an iPod. I don't recall there being any ring tones on a Pod.

Only had 1 PM but noticed multiple people requesting in the thread so here is 29 more FaadVIP invites:

qaadqjrmmb

Enjoy and hope this program is successful for them AND us.

http://faadvip.com

Good idea on downloading all the freebies in hopes of it eventually qualifying for rebates. I quit downloading everything awhile ago and just look at screens etc and only d/l what I think i'll play. I'm slow about checking stuff out and will run through a whole folder at a time sorting it into another folder of good freebies or deleting. Folders were the best thing that ever happened to the iPhone lol. :D

[quote name='Dimsdale']Sorry, but I thought he wanted to manage his stuff on an iPod. I don't recall there being any ring tones on a Pod.[/QUOTE]
;_;

another extract from the All-in-1 Gamebox, iSniper
iSniper 3D was the only part of the gamebox that wasn't a complete waste of time, effort, and iDisk space. This I think is the first one but it could be a lot worse.

Oh and the story is crap if iSniper 3D is any indication.

[quote name='DtotheP']I have my iPhone set to manually manage and I have many many ringtones. I just drag and drop them, rather than have them set to sync.[/QUOTE]
Same.

Free App Calendar is re-running the match-3 puzzler Charmed for its FREE title today (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=38).

"Charmed will captivate you with amazing gravity-twisting, Charm-matching action across 40 unique levels! Rotate your iDevice in all 4 orientations to change the direction of gravity! Play it once and you'll be hooked!

Earn over 30 achievements and enjoy bragging rights and compare scores with your friends on the global OpenFeint leaderboards."

Gameloft's Iron Man 2 has dropped from $4.99 to .99 for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/iron-man-2/id360179681?mt=8).

"PLAY WITH IRON MAN OR WAR MACHINE
Play as Iron Man for speed and agility or suit up as War Machine for maximum firepower. Both suits offer easy-to-learn controls and the ability to run, hover and fly at will. You’ll also have the chance to jump into the Mark IV, Mark VI, Stealth and underwater suits. Whether you prefer to pound your foes in melee combat with your fists or to lay down the destruction from a far with your weapons, you can upgrade your suit after each stage with improved weaponry and abilities to devastate your foes."

[quote name='CONMAN999']Has anyone picked up Pocket Frogs? It's a free game where you collect and breed frogs leading to an almost endless amount of possibilities. I thought it would suck but got it because a TA preview said it was cool. Turns out it's a lot of fun.
[/QUOTE]

Wow this is addictive. Thanks for the recommendation. It reminds me a bit of Viva Pinata.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Gameloft's Iron Man 2 has dropped from $4.99 to .99 for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/iron-man-2/id360179681?mt=8).

"PLAY WITH IRON MAN OR WAR MACHINE
Play as Iron Man for speed and agility or suit up as War Machine for maximum firepower. Both suits offer easy-to-learn controls and the ability to run, hover and fly at will. You’ll also have the chance to jump into the Mark IV, Mark VI, Stealth and underwater suits. Whether you prefer to pound your foes in melee combat with your fists or to lay down the destruction from a far with your weapons, you can upgrade your suit after each stage with improved weaponry and abilities to devastate your foes."[/QUOTE]

Bout time we got some game sales Im interested in lately. This thread was crazy with usernames for a while there. Thanks for this!

Noob question, I am getting an Ipod touch 4g soon. Can I buy something on the computer through itunes and transfer it to the ipod. I figured you could but I didn't want to go buying things and then not be able to.

[quote name='jason506']Noob question, I am getting an Ipod touch 4g soon. Can I buy something on the computer through itunes and transfer it to the ipod. I figured you could but I didn't want to go buying things and then not be able to.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Here's another stupid question. Can I install any of my many apps stored on my computer to my daugher's Touch? Thanks for the info and the quick answers!

[quote name='snakeneck']Here's another stupid question. Can I install any of my many apps stored on my computer to my daugher's Touch? Thanks for the info and the quick answers![/QUOTE]
iTunes accounts are good on multiple machines, so it shouldn't be a problem. I think you just have to authorize that device via iTunes on your computer.

[quote name='snakeneck']Here's another stupid question. Can I install any of my many apps stored on my computer to my daugher's Touch? Thanks for the info and the quick answers![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fire_Thief']^ Yeah, but you can't combine computers to add apps to one touch.[/QUOTE]
That's a good point that I think confuses people. To restate, each device can only be synced to one computer, but an iTunes account can be authorized on up to 5 computers. So you can have a single computer with multiple accounts on it and sync the apps from the various accounts to your device, but you cannot sync that device with any other computer.

For example, my dad and I each have our own laptop, iTunes account, and iDevice (he has an iPhone, I have an iPad). We each sync our iDevice with our own laptop, but we have both of our iTunes accounts activated on both laptops so that we can share apps.

[quote name='DtotheP']I have my iPhone set to manually manage and I have many many ringtones. I just drag and drop them, rather than have them set to sync.[/QUOTE]

Huh. Maybe 4.0 fixed that retarded bug.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']Bunch of Capcom games on sale for $0.99:

Resident Evil 4
1942: Joint Strike
Mega Man II
Dark Void Zero
Cash Cab
Cash Cab: Las Vegas
Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? 2010
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire 2010

Links are all on a Capcom Unity blog post.[/QUOTE]
This is awesome! I've been wanting to pick up Dark Void Zero for a while now... and RE4 isn't bad for a $1 either. Thanks

I thought dark void zero was pretty good, and it played pretty well. (better than its current gen counterpart especially) It also really reminded me of the good side scrolling shooter games on NES back in the day.

I'm getting my iPod Touch tomorrow (4G), and I'm sure it's been asked before in the thread, but could anyone recommend some apps for me?

Here are the ones I already went and got (just from browsing the App store for a bit).

Apps

Amazon Mobile
Google Earth
Movies
Netflix
Last.FM
eBay Mobile
Pandora
Twitter
Facebook
Joystiq
Weather Channel

Games

Angry Birds
Dark Void Zero
i Sniper
Iron Man 2
Mega Man II
Peggle
Resident Evil 4
Rock Band
1942: First Strike

Plants Vs. Zombies, Robot Unicorn Attack, Jet Car Stunts, The Jim and Frank Mysteries, Super Quick Hook. Those are some fun games to get you started

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back