Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
In celebration of my hometown being overrun with ACL music lovers right now, Say What You See: Music Fest is FREE through the weekend (http://itunes.apple.com/app/say-what-you-see-music-fest/id376176418?mt=8#).

"WARNING: Say What You See™ is a crazily addictive new puzzling experience in the style of Where’s Waldo™/Where's Wally™ and Dingbats™/Whatzit?™

Once you fall under its mind-bendingly addictive spell you may never again have time to talk to friends, answer the phone or sit on the toilet for less than 30 minutes as you unravel its mysteries.

Our first release, Say What You See: Music Fest™ is an access all areas pass to puzzling pleasure. Hidden within this cryptic canvas is a whole music festival’s worth of chart-topping bands and artists. You’ll need sharp eyes and a good imagination to spot and name all 50.

Once you download it, you’ll enter the inventive imagination of internationally renowned artist Aime Bolissian, whose beautiful hand-painted canvas take you to a world where nothing is quite as it seems. This is a work of art that pleases the brain as well as the eye, as you find and solve the 50 rebus riddles it contains. If you've not seen one before, a rebus is a kind of word puzzle that uses pictures to represent words or parts of words.

A combination of Where’s Waldo: The Fantastic Journey™ and board game classic Dingbats™, you’ll need to use lateral thinking as well as your hidden-object finding skills."

For those of you who are not sure about Cut The Rope, it is an amazing game. I think it is a bit easier than angry bird but very fun.

[quote name='jason506']For those of you who are not sure about Cut The Rope, it is an amazing game. I think it is a bit easier than angry bird but very fun.[/QUOTE]

thats like saying pears are easier to eat than apples.....2 totally different games...

Yeah, Cut The Rope is really excellent. Perfectly suited for the iPhone/iPod, the control is great, the music and animation are wonderful, and it's a lot of fun. Also great for shorter play sessions. I wasn't that fond of Angry Birds, so if anyone else is also looking for a different type of game that fits the same vibe (quick, casual play with good controls and charming graphics), this is a good choice.

I'll also throw my hat in the pile for Cut the Rope. It's quite the fun little game and I don't know about everyone else, but I just enjoy seeing Angry Birds off its #1 perch... though I'm sure that won't last long.

Cut the Rope is good. I have the Lite version, but I'm going to have to think about whether or not I want to get the paid one. I'm just not really entirely feeling it, unlike Angry Birds... not that they are even similar. It's that there's really only one solution to each puzzle. You either do it right or you don't. People are complaining about randomness in Angry Birds, but I think that that element makes Angry Birds better, not worse. In Cut the Rope you do get satisfaction out of figuring out how to complete a level, but there's never any surprise to it. Nothing unexpected happens. At least not so far.

[quote name='crunchewy']Cut the Rope is good. I have the Lite version, but I'm going to have to think about whether or not I want to get the paid one. I'm just not really entirely feeling it, unlike Angry Birds... not that they are even similar. It's that there's really only one solution to each puzzle. You either do it right or you don't. People are complaining about randomness in Angry Birds, but I think that that element makes Angry Birds better, not worse. In Cut the Rope you do get satisfaction out of figuring out how to complete a level, but there's never any surprise to it. Nothing unexpected happens. At least not so far.[/QUOTE]

I had this thought myself originally, but I went ahead with the purchase and am glad I did. While there may be only one answer to the stage, the timing can become quite challenging. I've found it to be charming and entertaining. Something that compliments a game like Angry birds very well.

For some reason the complete novels of Stieg Larsson are contained in ACT The Millennium Trilogy for FREE right now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/act-the-millennium-trilogy/id388947430?mt=8). From what I can tell, it's the complete text of all three novels in a handy little e-reader. It's not the slickest interface I've ever seen (I prefer Stanza), but it's still highly usable and you get three great books in the bargain as well.

EDIT: By the way, the Millennium Trilogy is comprised of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. You may have heard of them individually without them being referenced as the Millennium Trilogy. Didn't want to assume anything.

Axiom #542 of being a new IPod touch owner. Don't be a $0.99+ game's (Bit Trop Beat) early adopter.

The expansion packs are on sale, too, for $.99. Though I don't know if any of them are worth it.

I always wonder what strategy they use to make a totally unknown game like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope suddenly explode in popularity. There are no marketing, no ads, no nothing. Then suddenly one day, it hits #1 in the chart and everyone is playing and talking about it. I wonder if it has something to do with Apple manipulating the chart as a way to recommend games.

[quote name='miriamleo']I always wonder what strategy they use to make a totally unknown game like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope suddenly explode in popularity. There are no marketing, no ads, no nothing. Then suddenly one day, it hits #1 in the chart and everyone is playing and talking about it. I wonder if it has something to do with Apple manipulating the chart as a way to recommend games.[/QUOTE]

Or it could just be that the games are fun to play and have good value for the price...

[quote name='mtxbass1']Or it could just be that the games are fun to play and have good value for the price...[/QUOTE]

Of course I know those games are good. But so are the other hundreds of other .99 cent games on the App store. Just wonder how an unknown quantity came to be #1 in a blink of the eyes when they have no ads and have so many competitions. I guess it based on pure luck?

I agree word of mouth has something to do with it. But the "word of mouth" here usually start AFTER the apps hit #1 in the store.. that's when we start to realize the game's existence.

At 99 cents, Yahtzee Adventures is decent fun.

Prism Light the Way is free. Light shining and reflecting puzzler. Was quite nice on the DS.

Nimble Strong: Bartender in Training dropped to $3 from $5 for 24 hours only. They say they will never drop it again. I really, REALLY liked this game. Fun drink making game.

EDIT: I hated Angry Birds because you pretty much had to guess where the birds would fall. It was tough as nails to figure out what distance had what firing arc in AB.

[quote name='miriamleo']I always wonder what strategy they use to make a totally unknown game like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope suddenly explode in popularity. There are no marketing, no ads, no nothing. Then suddenly one day, it hits #1 in the chart and everyone is playing and talking about it. I wonder if it has something to do with Apple manipulating the chart as a way to recommend games.[/QUOTE]Well, Cut the Rope is published by Chillingo and that company has a great reputation in the App Store. I'm not sure Chillingo actually develops any games but they're happy to publish the good ones (for a price). I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

[quote name='Dimsdale']For some reason the complete novels of Stieg Larsson are contained in ACT The Millennium Trilogy for FREE right now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/act-the-millennium-trilogy/id388947430?mt=8). From what I can tell, it's the complete text of all three novels in a handy little e-reader. It's not the slickest interface I've ever seen (I prefer Stanza), but it's still highly usable and you get three great books in the bargain as well.

EDIT: By the way, the Millennium Trilogy is comprised of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. You may have heard of them individually without them being referenced as the Millennium Trilogy. Didn't want to assume anything.[/QUOTE] Thanks I loved The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo but haven't read the others yet. I would prefer to read them on my kindle but for free I can't pass them up.

[quote name='miriamleo']I always wonder what strategy they use to make a totally unknown game like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope suddenly explode in popularity. There are no marketing, no ads, no nothing. Then suddenly one day, it hits #1 in the chart and everyone is playing and talking about it. I wonder if it has something to do with Apple manipulating the chart as a way to recommend games.[/QUOTE]

Well, at least in the case of Cut The Rope, I've known about that game for the last month or two, after seeing it previewed on a handful of App websites and seeing a trailer. If enough people had also known about it that far in advance and were eagerly awaiting its release (and spreading word of the game to their friends), it's perfectly conceivable that many people would buy it immediately upon launch.

People using social networking sites are also very likely to pass news of the game and its appeal quickly, so word-of-mouth in this case is likely more than enough to warrant the game climbing to number one so soon.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Nimble Strong: Bartender in Training dropped to $3 from $5 for 24 hours only. They say they will never drop it again. I really, REALLY liked this game. Fun drink making game.[/QUOTE]

I mentioned this a page or two ago. Shortly after, the developer himself came in and posted about it too. I'm surprised nobody has chimed in about it, considering the high praise I've heard about it. I went ahead and bought it, but still haven't had time to play it.

They claim it is a 24-hour sale, but I'm pretty sure its already been 24 hours, so jump now if interested.

Also, at the bottom of their website (http://nimblestrong.com), the dev mentions that if you email in your receipt, he'll buy you a 99 cent game of your choice.

Thanks for that info,mkernan. I was thinking about it anyway, but essentially dropping it to $1.99 is even better.

Also, I'm really enjoying Bit.Trip, but damn can it be hard. Man did they ever tank the price on that quick. Also picked up the Void IAP for some extra songs.

[quote name='SirDiealot']I would like cut the rope more if it is openfeint or gamecenter supported instead of crystal[/QUOTE]

lol it does have gamecenter support ;)

Somwhat Cool New's Straight from Triniti Games's Twitter Feed :

TRINITIgames
HUGE day for triniti! GAMEBOX 1 just got updated, http://j.mp/3yhhEP, and GAMEBOX 2 just CAME OUT http://j.mp/dtWJtv!

EDIT: GAMEBOX 2 is $2.99 apposed to the $0.99 cent GAMEBOX 1

GAMEBOX 2 includes the following games :

1. Army Lines
2. Bowman Attack
3. Coastal Super-Combat
4. Crazy John
5. Death Knight
6. Desert Slug
7. Doodle Truck
8. Pixel Ninja
9. Spartans vs Vikings

but whats weird is that in the app description it states the app has "10" games but only list "9" of them.....

Despicable Me: Minion Mania has dropped from $5 to $1.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/despicable-me-minion-mania/id374738197?mt=8

Its hard to tell, but it seems like this game is very similar to the DS game Minion Mayhem, which Shipwreck reviewed and thought was decent:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=15850

EDIT: The DS game and iPhone game are definitely different, but the basic gameplay seems almost the same.

Also, Pangea has some games on sale, each for $1

Enigmo:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/enigmo/id281736535?mt=8

Nanosaur 2:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nanosaur-2/id293519917?mt=8

Cro-Mag Rally:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cro-mag-rally/id281747159?mt=8

Last edited by a moderator:
I question the legitimacy and legality of that Millennium trilogy app. It's poorly put together, the interface is terrible and the page layout is downright awful. Almost as if someone downloaded OCR'd books and slapped them into an app...

Great App a Day is featuring Hero Wars for its latest freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hero-wars/id372918571?mt=8#).

"In 2012, Mutants and Aliens invaded the Earth. All cities are destroyed. They destroy crops, buildings, bridges and roads. They are very powerful enemies. The Co-Army just didn't have what it takes to do. Heroes must fight against the Enemies. And must retrieve the Earth.

Your Battle fields are New York, Miami, London, Cairo, New Delhi, Siberia, Mediterranean Sea, Tokyo, Caribbean Sea, Paris.."

Put me down as another fan of Cut the Rope. I played through the Lite version and was so charmed by it that I immediately sprang for the full version. Good stuff, indeed.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Great App a Day is featuring Hero Wars for its latest freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hero-wars/id372918571?mt=8#).

"In 2012, Mutants and Aliens invaded the Earth. All cities are destroyed. They destroy crops, buildings, bridges and roads. They are very powerful enemies. The Co-Army just didn't have what it takes to do. Heroes must fight against the Enemies. And must retrieve the Earth.

Your Battle fields are New York, Miami, London, Cairo, New Delhi, Siberia, Mediterranean Sea, Tokyo, Caribbean Sea, Paris.."[/QUOTE]
Damn, I accidentally bought this for .99. I guess it wasn't free anymore. Oh well.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']I question the legitimacy and legality of that Millennium trilogy app. It's poorly put together, the interface is terrible and the page layout is downright awful. Almost as if someone downloaded OCR'd books and slapped them into an app...[/QUOTE]

agreed, theres no way this would be free and legitimate especially since the last book came out so recently, and somehow I doubt the estate of a swedish writer who's had such phenomenal success would choose a guy who's got nothing but a bunch of chinese book apps to represent them on iTunes.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Great App a Day is featuring Hero Wars for its latest freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hero-wars/id372918571?mt=8#).

Your Battle fields are New York, Miami, London, Cairo, New Delhi, Siberia, Mediterranean Sea, Tokyo, Caribbean Sea, Paris.."[/QUOTE]
Unless this game had a really short sale it's still going for .99 for me.

[quote name='jason506']Unless this game had a really short sale it's still going for .99 for me.[/QUOTE]
Sorry guys. I guess Hero Wars was on sale for all of about a minute-and-a-half in the dead of night this morning. I managed to snag a copy while it was still free but it has gone back up to .99. Great App a Day pulled the reference to the app off their site, but AppShopper confirms that I wasn't just seeing things (http://appshopper.com/games/hero-wars).

Buffet Time is the newest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/buffet-time/id367475756?mt=8).
"Buffet Time is a fast-paced image matching game from our Food for Thought collection. It trains your memory and challenges your skills of recognition and memorization by displaying multiple collections of images that need to be remembered and recalled. It's great for kids and fun for all ages!

Fantastic 4 In A Row is the latest FAAD Gold feature (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fantastic-4-in-a-row/id354728621?mt=8).
"4 In A Row has never been so much fun! Our Classic Checkers theme is one that all can enjoy as you try to beat the computer or play against a friend. The Christmas Beat theme lets you stack up the ornaments while listening to upbeat Christmas music from around the world. Our Jammin' Sports theme keeps you pumped as you play basketball versus soccer."

I decided to turn on gyroscope controls in modern combat 2 and after getting used to them it makes aiming (especially sniping) 10 times easier.

For those of you that have it, add me. My gameloft ID is Malik112099

[quote name='Dimsdale']Sorry guys. I guess Hero Wars was on sale for all of about a minute-and-a-half in the dead of night this morning. I managed to snag a copy while it was still free but it has gone back up to .99. Great App a Day pulled the reference to the app off their site, but AppShopper confirms that I wasn't just seeing things (http://appshopper.com/games/hero-wars).[/QUOTE]

Thats cool, dont you ever sleep lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back