Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite Picross style game on the iPhone is ColorCross. I haven't picked up the animals or iPad versions yet, but it's pretty awesome doing puzzles in up to 6-7 colors. The interface is pretty good too, much better than some of the other ones I've tried for free.

[quote name='JP']So whoever posted PixelCraft, I both hate and love you. Great game, but I've been quite addicted.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. :razz: It really doesn't compare to Picross though. The pictures are just weird on PixelCraft. And it's also REALLY tough compared to Picross because of the time limit that seems to count down uber quick. Strangely, I prefer regular Picross much more than Picross 3D. But enough of DS talk, trying to get back to iPhone talk:

The puzzle game Tangle is free once again, I enjoyed it for those short quick game bursts.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/tangle/id328614791?mt=8

Blubble is also currently free.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/blubble/id330470831?mt=8

Blubble is a new and innovative puzzle game created from a concept hatched over ten years ago.

Take control of your bounding blue blob and hop over spiky Murtles, bounce off of mushrooms, fly over dragon's eggs and teleport your way to the goal across water, ice, fire, and more!

* Smooth 3D graphics
* 60 mind bending puzzles
* 5 colorful themes
* Win trophies for finding the best solution!

And lastly for those who own a droid device and still haven't heard the news, Angry Birds full version is now currently free on the droid marketplace. Although it's ad supported, I must say, playing it on my wife's Droid X screen makes the game seem all new again compared to the iPhone 4 screen. haha :razz:

Free App Calendar is featuring Paper Fish right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id353939506?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4).

"No more old school fishing! NOW we do fish attracting!

Have you ever dreamt about what the fishing would be if the ocean has become paper folding? Now we proudly present you the whole new paper world! You can have a blast by fishing around the sea world, catching various kinds of paper fish, hiring paper boats from the shop and sailing to exotic islands!

Try the easiest finishing method “Magnetic Fishing”, the only thing you need to do is changing the magnetic pole, then use your fishing rod to attract the fishes.

Get on the paper boat with your magnetic fishing rod! Let’s attract some BIG fishes!"

Re-live another virtual recreation of an old school arcade game with Horse Frenzy, currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/horse-frenzy/id395317832?mt=8).

"You’re off to the races in HORSE FRENZY!!! Just like you remember from your local fair or arcade, roll the ball into the holes to race your horse against the opponents…but wait there’s more!

Now you get to take your horse home and keep them in your stable! Win coins as you race to buy new horses and train them! Feed and care for your horses as you race to become the best trainer around! Climb the rankings and fill your trophy shelf!

Easy to play and ridiculously addictive, HORSE FRENZY will leave you wanting just one more race!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']Free App Calendar is featuring Paper Fish right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id353939506?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4).

"No more old school fishing! NOW we do fish attracting!

Have you ever dreamt about what the fishing would be if the ocean has become paper folding? Now we proudly present you the whole new paper world! You can have a blast by fishing around the sea world, catching various kinds of paper fish, hiring paper boats from the shop and sailing to exotic islands!

Try the easiest finishing method “Magnetic Fishing”, the only thing you need to do is changing the magnetic pole, then use your fishing rod to attract the fishes.

Get on the paper boat with your magnetic fishing rod! Let’s attract some BIG fishes!"[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dimsdale, but I had already posted this one earlier today. ;)

Jewel Craft has dropped from $2.99 for $.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jewel-craft/id391382503?mt=8) -- I'm pretty much buying this because I have become a slight Game Center whore.

It's just another match-3 game and supposedly pretty good. And, it's been updated to utilize the almighty power of what we know as... THE RETINA DISPLAY! Yippee? Sorry, I don't know why I'm getting all sarcastic and ornery at the moment.

Just got around to playing bit trip beat some more. I played it when I bought it on sale and was put off by it's difficulty. Now it's my current go-to game if I have some time and headphones on me. Has anyone tried finding people to play mutliplayer with through game center? I haven't had any luck yet. It can't seem to find anyone.

Cut the Rope was fun for a couple days - now I beat it and have no more levels to play... I got 3 stars on all but probably 10 or so. It was worth the .99 but I'd say that's about it.

[quote name='bordjon']Cut the Rope was fun for a couple days - now I beat it and have no more levels to play... I got 3 stars on all but probably 10 or so. It was worth the .99 but I'd say that's about it.[/QUOTE]

It's well priced and a fun game. That's more than I can say for a lot of games on any platform.

Cut the Rope does have less replay value than Angry Bird due to the fact that cut the rope is mostly just finding the right formula for getting all 3 stars and Angry Birds is about luck and formula to get all 3 stars. I really enjoyed Cut the Rope but it was over fairly quick and I got 3 stars in all but 15-20 levels on the first try.

Zombwich is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/zombwich/id372754616?mt=8).

"Zombwich is a modern member of the tafl family of board games, which hail from ancient viking times, and were played across the world, by peasant and king alike for hundreds of years.

Take to the streets in Zombwich, and discover a new realm of strategy and tactics with amazing depth, yet simple elegance.

Play as the police in their quest to ensure the safe escape of the Mayor, or as the fearsome zombies driven by an everlasting hunger for flesh.

Refine your skills against the computer, or challenge your friends to a game locally."

Plant Link describes itself as the best matching type game in the App Store. Find out for yourself if that's true while the game is FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/plant-link/id395193014?mt=8#).

"The best matching type game in app store. The only rule is finding out paired patterns and link them up with no more then 2 turns. It's so easy to play and also so easy to lose. What? you don't believe that? Then try this one!

Tips: Continuous elimination of the same type of plants will increase your score and time limit!

Features:
* 3 kind of game mode
Standard mode
Beeline mode
Endless mode
* 50+ well designed Levels
* Lovely collection of 20 species of plants, planting to your garden."

[quote name='bordjon']Cut the Rope was fun for a couple days - now I beat it and have no more levels to play... I got 3 stars on all but probably 10 or so. It was worth the .99 but I'd say that's about it.[/QUOTE]

You got 100 levels with hours of game time for under a buck and you're lukewarm about its value?! Maybe video games aren't for you. Buy a deck of cards and some LEGOs and you'll have nothing to complain about. Endless fun!

[quote name='ViolentLee']You got 100 levels with hours of game time for under a buck and you're lukewarm about its value?! Maybe video games aren't for you. Buy a deck of cards and some LEGOs and you'll have nothing to complain about. Endless fun![/QUOTE]

We are getting used to outstanding $1 games that sometimes $1 is too much for some games. I played the lite version and thought that it was probably not worth paying $1 for it when I compare it to Angry Birds, GeoDefence or Peggle to name a few.

Can I get some people to add me to game center? I really like seeing if I am on top of the leader boards for some of the games.
I am eliter1 on there as well.

[quote name='eliter1']We are getting used to outstanding $1 games that sometimes $1 is too much for some games. I played the lite version and thought that it was probably not worth paying $1 for it when I compare it to Angry Birds, GeoDefence or Peggle to name a few.
[/QUOTE]

I used to pay $1 get to play 2-4 video games at an arcade growing up. How anyone can say $1 isn't worth it is crazy. Angry Birds/ Cut the Rope/etc also get updates with new levels from time to time that allow you to revisit the game at NO ADDITIONAL COST. These games are well produced and well worth $1. If you don't find the game play enjoyable then that is your fault for not researching or playing the often FREE DEMO.

I know that the site is called Cheap Ass Gamer and all that jazz, but I can't see how someone can complain about $1 being too much for a solid game. Are you expecting unlimited playtime for your dollar? If this is the case... I can only assume you don't own a console/play any "real" games. There seems to be this assumption that mobile games need to be endless, but I don't find anything wrong with a game that is really good, but is over after a few days of play; I pay a lot more for console games that do the same thing.

Also, Cartoon Wars 2: Heroes (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cartoon-wars-2-heroes/id396837225?mt=8) just came out with an introductory price of $.99 (regular price will be $2.99)

"Limited Time SALE! 66% OFF! Get it now and don’t miss out!

Introduction:
Cartoon Wars 2 is an arcade war game that has been adopted from two previous successful games: Cartoon Wars and Cartoon Wars: Gunner. This new game is simple and enjoyable.

Features:
-80 different kinds of units
-20 different skills
-Stronger strategy with the new addition of aircraft units
- 6 heroes
-Create and develop your hero through the hero mode
- Choice of various missions before battle
- Various upgrading systems

Battle Mode Control:
-Left controller for aiming arrows
-Right button at the bottom for shooting arrows
-Double tap the statues to upgrade mana boost
-Tap the icons at the bottom to activate and produce unit and skills

Hero Mode Control:
-Left bottom controller for moving characters
-Right button at the bottom for shooting weapon"

[quote name='ViolentLee']You got 100 levels with hours of game time for under a buck and you're lukewarm about its value?! Maybe video games aren't for you. Buy a deck of cards and some LEGOs and you'll have nothing to complain about. Endless fun![/QUOTE]

LOL agreed. I've dropped $20-40 on some console games only to not put as much time in them as I should've/could've. If I can get 1hr out of each $1 spent I'm happy. I look for deals but I have an understanding of "value" for myself and I cannot complain at many $1 games on the app store.

The latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day is Doodle Fall Down: Episode 1 – Legend of the Great Fall (http://itunes.apple.com/app/doodle-fall-down-episode-1/id383336501?mt=8).

"Gravity is your friend as you, a gutsy little blob, twirl between ledges to escape being made sheesh kebab by approaching spikes. Sail down on an umbrella, hitch a ride on a drill or burst through obstacles with dynamite. Enjoy the scenic backgrounds and jazzy tunes, but never stop to take a breather or it's game over.

A fast and furious game requiring awesome reflexes. Can you fall down longer and faster than anyone else?"

FAAD is featuring Low Grav Racer 2 for its latest featured game (http://itunes.apple.com/app/low-grav-racer-2/id341773746?mt=8).

"Low Grav Racer 2 combines intense high speed racing and shoot-em-up action to create a unique handheld experience, only on the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Designed specifically for iPhone and iPod Touch, Low Grav Racer 2 perfectly combines the Touch, Tilt and Accelerometer features of the iPhone with stunning visuals and heart pounding action to give you one of the finest all round racing and action experiences on the iPhone."

wow - so much defense for this game. I think you guys forgot to actually read my post. I said, and I quote, "It was worth the .99"

I just don't quite think it is worthy of all the raving that's going on - but I didn't really get that with minigore either...

Goodbye iOS game thread.

Dimsdale can you post all free deals on just one post? Instead of just 1 post for each game? I mean I can understand if the sales are several hours apart but its more convenient if all the free game deals are put together in one post.

PenguFlip is the new Great App a Day feature (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/penguflip/id349733798?mt=8).

"Granted, you have already seen other jumping games in the AppStore. But this game takes the genre to another level - with the help of the most cute and charming penguins you can imagine!

• Launch up to three penguins from their small sheet of ice and flip them upwards!
• Collect boosts and use them to let the guys rocket into space!
• Take care that they do not fall below the screen, or the journey will be over quickly.
• Use the boosts wisely to rescue your penguins from dangerous situations.
• Find hidden secrets on your way up!
• Pros will reach more than 1000m!"

CHU is permanently free. He released a Pro version with all his crappy DLC.

CHU is a pretty lousy mindless button masher anyway.

Cut The Rope really doesn't pass the flash game test but it's decent.

Commandogs is a pretty fun mindless side-scroller that's currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/commandogs/id376972218?mt=8).

"Commandogs is a tank-action game, which is fun and addicting.
Cats corp intruded into the territory in the peaceful animal kingdom. Your friend bulldog is taken to by the cats, and the peace is being threatened. You are supposed and required to rescue your friend from danger, defeat the viciousness and keep the peace."

[quote name='Hostile']Also looking for more GameCenter friends. Add: Hostile.[/QUOTE]
I added you =P GC: Quicksilver86

I think theres a thread somewhere with a list of ppl...

I added the people that posted here on gamecenter.

My username is SaraAB87

I also just sent a text message using text now and it worked perfectly and so did the replyl! I am happy now.

You can also find a big list of gamecenter users on gamefaqs, I got like over 50 friends from there, those people will add you right away.

[quote name='Unstopabull']I used to pay $1 get to play 2-4 video games at an arcade growing up. How anyone can say $1 isn't worth it is crazy. Angry Birds/ Cut the Rope/etc also get updates with new levels from time to time that allow you to revisit the game at NO ADDITIONAL COST. These games are well produced and well worth $1. If you don't find the game play enjoyable then that is your fault for not researching or playing the often FREE DEMO.[/QUOTE]

You're right, we USED to. You're right about the demo tho. I have been playing a lot of lite version lately because I am hesitant to spend $1 on iPhone games. Only thing I've ever spent more than $1 on was Beejive and Plants vs Zombies.

[quote name='eliter1']You're right, we USED to. You're right about the demo tho. I have been playing a lot of lite version lately because I am hesitant to spend $1 on iPhone games. Only thing I've ever spent more than $1 on was Beejive and Plants vs Zombies.[/QUOTE]

Yeah used to, now we're paying $60 for 8-10 hours of gameplay.. that doesn't seem any better than $1 iphone games where we hit it and quit it. Anyway, I'm getting off topic, so I'll stop with the value thing, everyone's different.

Ubisoft Fall Sale for one week only! Games include:

932575.png

Assassin's Creed 2 Discovery ($5.99 -> $0.99)

http://itunes.apple.com/app/assassins-creed-ii-discovery/id345932575?mt=8

765669.png

Dawn of Discovery - Harbor ($2.99 -> $0.99)

http://itunes.apple.com/app/dawn-of-discovery-harbor/id352765669?mt=8

483643.png

Silent Hinter Mobile ($4.99 -> $0.99)

http://itunes.apple.com/app/silent-hunter-mobile/id362483643?mt=8

761251.png

Voodoo Dice ($2.99 -> $0.99)

http://itunes.apple.com/app/voodoo-dice/id375761251?mt=8

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonzai Bounce just dropped to free: Bonzai Bounce is a 2D platformer with a unique graphical style. Your mission is to control the ball and collect orbs that are spread throughout the 6 levels. Clear the levels as fast as you can with as many orbs as possible to get the highest possible score. At your disposal is the environment, use bridges as slingshots and platforms to reach new heights.

This game runs smoothly on an iPhone 3Gs and we will update the game soon to run smoothly on older devices.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/bonzai-bounce/id377270785?mt=8

4Towers: Episode 2 "Evolution" is a tower defense game that just dropped to free. Listed as FAAD Gold's free app today.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/4towers-episode-2-evolution/id366758940?mt=8

Showstoppa your links are not working in the US appstore. Your Itunes set to a different region by chance? The sales are all valid, you just have to Gasp! search manually :)

[quote name='eliter1']You're right, we USED to. You're right about the demo tho. I have been playing a lot of lite version lately because I am hesitant to spend $1 on iPhone games. Only thing I've ever spent more than $1 on was Beejive and Plants vs Zombies.[/QUOTE]
In my opinion, if someone was clever enough to arouse my interest with a game, it's worth $1. I also see it as helping to support the game industry -- especially the independent developer.

There are so many worse things you can do with $1 than buy an interesting looking game you end up not liking after a few minutes. Not that every single iPhone game is worth the dollar, mind you. We all know that's not the case.

[quote name='bigrozz']Showstoppa your links are not working in the US appstore. Your Itunes set to a different region by chance? The sales are all valid, you just have to Gasp! search manually :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, the links should work now.

They were definately from the U.S. Store, I must have copied them wrong when I looked them up on AppShopper.

[quote name='Malik112099']what is CHU?[/QUOTE]

CHU = Cut Him Up!

A free game that RollingSkull was explaining, which jjz203 mentioned two posts previously as being free. He just abbreviated it.

(at least this is what I though it was)

You saw the movie, now play the game. Kick-Ass: The Game is currently on sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/kick-a-s-the-game/id365520480?mt=8).

"How come nobody’s ever tried to be a superhero?” When Dave Lizewski – ordinary New York teenager and rabid comic-book geek dons a green-and-yellow internet-bought wetsuit to become the no-nonsense vigilante, Kick-A*s, he soon finds an answer to his own question: because it hurts.

• 3 playable characters (Kick-A*s, Big Daddy and Hit Girl)
• Twin Stick Shooter Action
• Weapon Upgrades
• 12 missions with multiple environments, bosses and mini-bosses
• Frantic superhero action!
• Finishers
• Sub-missions and mini-games in the form of Arena Mode."

Halloween Sale for Castlevania!

180748.png

Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night ($4.99 -> $0.99)

http://itunes.apple.com/app/castlevania-puzzle-encore/id380180748?mt=8

"Take control of Alucard, son of Dracula, and experience Castlevania in a whole new way on the iPhone/

iPod Touch with Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night! Konami brings you a truly innovative Puzzle-RPG system

Developed exclusively for the iPhone/iPod Touch, an exciting first for the Castlevania series!

Featured and Highlights:

Play as and against characters from Symphony of the Night

Share your achievements with friends on Facebook!

Play songs from your own music library during battles
Over 20 hours of gameplay in Story Mode
Dozens of unique enemies to fight and over one hundred items to collect
Over 20 honors to earn"

[quote name='Showstoppa42']Halloween Sale for Castlevania!

180748.png

"Take control of Alucard, son of Dracula, and experience Castlevania in a whole new way on the iPhone/

iPod Touch with Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night! Konami brings you a truly innovative Puzzle-RPG system

Developed exclusively for the iPhone/iPod Touch, an exciting first for the Castlevania series!

Featured and Highlights:

Over 20 honors to earn"[/QUOTE]

I resisted at $1.99... but may finally give in at this price :(

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I resisted at $1.99... but may finally give in at this price :([/QUOTE]

Yup. I held off at $1.99 -- I'm spoiled now and I won't pay more than a buck -- but this is the perfect price. I'm grabbin' it. Just hope it doesn't go free soon! :lol:

180748.png

Featured and Highlights:

Awesome, I am going to add some more money to my account tomorrow and pick it up. I would have paid full price for this one eventually.

180748.png

Featured and Highlights:

*Facepalm*
bought it when it was 1.99:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back