Iphone Car Stereo Device

SOLDIER

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
I just got a 3GS the other day, and I'm looking for a device that will let me play my music/podcasts/etc off my car stereo. My sister uses one that hooks her iphone to her car's tape deck, but mine doesn't have one, only a CD player.

I was told an alternate method was to plug the iphone to your cigarette lighter. Does that exist, and if so what's the cheapest price for it?

Also, is there a cable that lets me hook my iphone to my PC and also charges it? The regular included one doesn't seem to do this (it warns me as such).

Did you get the 3GS new or used? Usually, the USB cable that you connect the phone to your computer should also to be able to charge your phone while connected.

I'm guessing your car does not have a auxiliary port where you can just get a 3.5mm cable and plug it in. If not, you will need to get a FM transmitter. They also have those where you can also charge your phone if you need something like that.

Hope this helps

Yeah the FM transmitter is ok... not good if you have an aftermarket stereo though as its just not the best quality.

Alternately you can get a JL Audio Cleansweep, RF360, etc to add in a true Aux input that will not have the loss or interference.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the FM transmitter might be my only option. I'm looking for something cheap, but good quality. Any recommendations?

[quote name='SOLDIER']It looks like the FM transmitter might be my only option. I'm looking for something cheap, but good quality. Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]
I've got a Belkin TuneCast or something like that. Works well enough, and I don't think I spent more than $15-20 on it.

fyi, fm transmitters suck balls. cassette adapters are even way better. check to see if your cd player has an aux port. don't know how old your system is but recently pretty much every deck has one nowadays. but yea, transmitters are complete crap.

I bought a Belkin FM transmitter from Office Depot, just to try it out. I can return it within 14 days.

It barely works, overall awful. I guess those options are out.

So basically I have three other options:

1. Buy a CD player with an aux port

2. Have a mechanic at Best Buy install an aux port

3. Buy a tape deck, and then the tape deck cable.

Which would be the best bet here?

Is your cd player from the factory. Or is it an aftermarket one (pioneer, sony, etc..).

If it is an aftermarket player. There should be two inputs on the back (red and white, exactly like the inputs on a tv). Then you just need a cable (one end has a headphone jack, other end has the red and white cable. I can't remember the name of the cable. But that is what you would need.

I use an FM transmitter. If it's a wireless one, you'll need a stable place to set it down to avoid static. Mine works fine for podcasts.

Update: Well, the Belkin transmitter was a dud, as I practically couldn't get a signal at all, so I returned it.

Someone from another forum recommended this, though: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038L495U/ref=oss_product

He claims the transmission is superior to anything else. Can anyone verify?

Also, so as not to open a new thread, I'm also looking for the best screen protector available, with a clear cover that won't darken the screen, and also allows for slick finger dragging.

[quote name='SOLDIER']Update: Well, the Belkin transmitter was a dud, as I practically couldn't get a signal at all, so I returned it.

Someone from another forum recommended this, though: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038L495U/ref=oss_product

He claims the transmission is superior to anything else. Can anyone verify?

Also, so as not to open a new thread, I'm also looking for the best screen protector available, with a clear cover that won't darken the screen, and also allows for slick finger dragging.[/QUOTE]
ALL FM TRANSMITTERS SUCK. There is no good transmitter, despite what anyone with one says. if you can get a signal they sound just horrible. go get a new deck if you can. they are rather cheap.

if you can pop off your dash, its rather easy to install a deck. you just need to get a harness and wire the color coded wires together and you can save yourself 40 bucks install.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Did you get the 3GS new or used? Usually, the USB cable that you connect the phone to your computer should also to be able to charge your phone while connected.

I'm guessing your car does not have a auxiliary port where you can just get a 3.5mm cable and plug it in. If not, you will need to get a FM transmitter. They also have those where you can also charge your phone if you need something like that.

Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

This.

My Sony head unit is pretty old and doesn't have an aux in (nor does it has a separate out for my sub), so I have a Monster FM Transmitter which works really, really well, but obviously not as clear and clean sounding.

Do you want a whole new unit? They have transmitters that'll run your iPhone through the radio and save the hassle of putting in a new one.

[quote name='Izod517']I'm pretty sure most JVC head units have a JVC specific "iPod" adapter. Google it and see if it matches your unit.[/QUOTE]

It might be too old or too low-end to even have the jack in the back that that particular device plugs into. (still worth looking into!)

I've bought all my car audio gear from Crutchfield. They may not win on price, but they've had pretty good support! At the very least, they're a good research starting point:

For Option 1: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR210/JVC-KD-R210.html?tp=5684 (A few more dollars can get you a unit with built-in iPod support via USB)

They also have items that basically hook in though your existing unit's antenna jack. I've only ever had experience with that type of setup once, and it sounded ok from what I remember.

So with those suggestions, will I need to have a mechanic install the new CD player, or can I simply remove my old JVC and simply snap in the new one?

depends, you may need to get a kit to make it fit. you should be able to find out just by talking to the sales guys at best buy or wherever if your car will need one for the particular model youre buying.

I bought a FM transmitter for $60 on sale and it sucked. Returned it and on a whim bought one off EBay for like $3 shipped since I was buying something else from that seller anyway. I honestly have used that with my 3GS and now 4 ever since. Just did a super quick glance and I see them listed still, it looks like a AA battery with a blue LED screen. I get better signal with this than I did with the $60 model... YMMV depending on strength of local radio channels near a decent transmit channel. I just have the wire along the center console on drivers side and lay my phone either in passenger seat or console.

Only downfall is Sometimes it pops up as charging not compatible so it won't charge while transmitting but hey it cost a buck.... Pick yourself up a cheap cigarette to USB charger and a extra long charge cable from Monoprice and you'll be set. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-4045-...PHHO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1285972411&sr=8-5

Yes it's a transmitter. I really think people just don't know how to use these. My wife and I have been using FM transmitters for years with no static and great sound. If you lived close by I would get it working properly for you. Apparently it's not as idiot proof as you would think. I have traveled cross country with it with no problems. I live in Nashville by the way.

I have an FM transmitter and although it may not work all the time, its still useful to me. It's a Griffin iTrip AutoPilot. I'd say it works about 70-80% of the time and the quality isn't perfect but it sounds pretty good.

I guess it also has to do with the area you live in. I live far from the city so maybe that's why it works as it should when it does. If you can afford to get a CD player with an AUX port, go for it. If not, well I've given my input on my experience with FM transmitters :)

bread's done
Back