iPhone, iPad & iOS Discussion -- White iPhone on Sale 4/28

[quote name='bordjon']That's academia! (well most of it - maybe with the exception of business schools/depts...)[/QUOTE]

Our on campus tech is great. Just not much in the way of tech in the conference rooms in the hotels we have our conferences at in my field! Most of the time just a crappy old projector with an VGA cable ran over to the podium for one of the presenters to hook a laptop up to and then we all share.

Every classroom and auditorium on our campus has a PC and a DVD (or bluray) Player, some still have VHS as well (though they're not replacing those as they break) and a document camera hooked up to a ceiling projector, along with a VGA cable at the desk for people to hook up laptops etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to get an iPad 2 this morning and it was a bust. I got there perhaps at 8:15 AM. I'm not good at judging crowds, but maybe there were 30 to 40 people in front of me? I could be way off in that. Really, I'm terrible at judging such things. I didn't see any obvious resellers, but I'm sure they were there. There was a guy in front of me who was getting one for his girlfriend, but he was going to get a Xoom for himself. Another older guy was getting one for his wife. Most others seemed to be there to get one for themselves.

Perhaps around 9 they started handing out vouchers, asking each person, starting at the front, what model they wanted. Almost immediately they announced they were out of all AT&T models. By the time they got to me the only 3G model they had was the white 64 GB Verizon. Everything was fine about that except the color. Of course I almost decided to buy it, but unsure, they let me go look at the white one again and I decided that if I'm going to spend that much money on it, I should get the color I really wanted. So I passed on it.

And now I'm waivering a bit on getting a 3G model. Maybe I don't really need that. I can share the 3G from my iPhone 4, so maybe I should just do that. Only downsides are that it uses my phones battery, but maybe that's not such a big deal, and that if I'm not around and my wife has the iPad, then there's no 3G, but I'm not sure how much that will be an issue. Perhaps on vacation. I wasn't ready to make a decision right then anyway. One other downside to sharing the 3G from my phone is probably the performance isn't as good as using built-in 3G, but I'm not sure about that.

Odds are I'll just stick with the AT&T 3G I have on order.

Yeah, if you want an AT&T model show up really early as those are the ones the hoarders are most after.

They're in highest demand since that 3G works in other countries and a lot of hoarders are exporting to Asia.

[quote name='keithp']The links in this thread here may help in locating one.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty handy. Thanks! Of course it's a sea of "Not in stock" and such. However, some of the Best Buy's not too far away have the 32 GB 3G black models (verizon and/or att&t). No 64 GB, but I'm mulling it over. Hmm....

EDIT: Best Buy somewhat near work *does* have a 64 GB AT&T model. Egad. Now the question is will they still have it when I leave work later. Fingers crossed. Also hoping that the web stock app is reliable... which I suppose isn't a given.

EDIT2: Ok, I can't stand it... I've got to go see if that BB really has a black 64 GB AT&T in stock. One bonus is I can use my rewards card and recoup some of the taxes (should be $15 in reward coupons), so that would be a small win of it's own. Heading out shortly to find out.

Well, you can probably guess the outcome. I think that's enough disappointment for the day, though at least now I know that the Best Buy online inventory thing only tells you that something was there in the morning - they did say they had gotten some in, but they were all bought early on. They did still have some 32 GB 3G models. I really should try just to be patient and wait for mine to ship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else use Zite? If so do you know how to set up an email account? I want to be able to email myself or others certain articles but when I click the button it says to set up an email account, yet I can not find it under settings and a quick google does not turn up anything.

I use Zite, Flipboard is even better.

To set up the e-mail you have to set up an e-mail account on the iPad in the settings menu, then all apps will use that default e-mail account to e-mail links etc.

gmail is really easy to set up if you have an account with them, just go in there and select it in the options.

I use that, and I have my work e-mail on my iPad as well. Though for it I can only receive it and reply through my gmail as they don't provide an off network outgoing e-mail server.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I use Zite, Flipboard is even better.

To set up the e-mail you have to set up an e-mail account on the iPad in the settings menu, then all apps will use that default e-mail account to e-mail links etc.

gmail is really easy to set up if you have an account with them, just go in there and select it in the options.

I use that, and I have my work e-mail on my iPad as well. Though for it I can only receive it and reply through my gmail as they don't provide an off network outgoing e-mail server.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Bought an air print compatible printer. Figured with 4 computers on wifi and 2 iPhones we might as well. It's pretty sweet being able to easily print from any device. I wish that air print at least a couple options, specifically the ability to choose printer quality/color options. I don't mind not being about to realize and stuff, but I I could choose to print greyscale, that'd be winning.

Here's a few off the wall questions:

I downloaded the VLC app when it was available, but didn't have an iOS device at the time. When(if? :whistle2:() i get an iPad2, will i be able to use it on there, even though it was removed from the app store?

Anyone here buy the Comic Zeal app like in 2009 and still have it? Is it now the CZ Mini app?

It'll be in your purchase history to redownload, or you may still have the app on the computer. Either way, you'll be able to get it back.

The latest batch of iPhone commercials has one dedicated iBooks.

I hope it's not to implant iBooks as the (m)asses first thought for books on the phone, in advance of a possible Kindle exodus from the app store.

One question of the 30% cut: Will it apply to physical items sold via apps? Like buying He-Man Cosmic Key replicas via the eBay app, or a blender in the Amazon app?

4G is hella fast. I've only used it when I used Clear as my ISP instead of Comcast, but things went downhill fast. I'd prefer Clear to AT&T, but no way would I prefer Clear to Comcast.

iPad 2 is going to be available for sale at 500 RadioShacks nationwide starting tomorrow, if anyone still looking to get one wants another place to check.

Hmm... maybe I'll check Radio Shack out. Wonder if this is off the radar?

I got an email from AT&T offering a free Microcell... in exchange for meeting with a "AT&T empowerment expert"... and agreeing to a new 12 month contract agreement, which runs aside my existing contract. That's no factor as my existing contract is more then 12 months. I'm mulling over it. I'd do it for sure if it weren't for the ridiculous "AT&T empowerment expert". No, really, that's what they call this person:

"MicroCell offer is nontransferable and must be used in one visit at the time of meeting with an AT&T empowerment expert."

The New York Times app went paid today.

You get the Top News, most e-mailed and videos for free, but have to subscribe at $20 a month to access the other sections. They're website is paid as well now--you get to view 20 articles a month for free, but need a subscription to see more (though there are workarounds for the website currently).

Need some advice about what to do with my ipad- I was an early adopter thanks to a gift from my dad, so my one year warranty will be ending mid April i.e. in a few weeks. It's been working ok lately, but I have had some issues over the last year where the ipad freezes up (home screen, internet, basically whatever I'm trying to do) for no good reason. Like, when I'm typing in an internet address, it will take twenty or thirty seconds just to show the letter onscreen. I have never dropped or otherwise misused the ipad. The problem usually seems to go away if I connect it to the outlet and wait a few minutes (but not always- a few times I've had to just switch it off in frustration since I'm unable to use it), so I'm thinking maybe it's something to do with the battery, or the memory.

Like I say it hasn't happened in a few weeks, but I'm wondering what to do now that the 1 year of ownership date is nearly here. Should I take it in for them to look at, given that the "issue" only sometimes shows itself (and it's unlikely that it will be happening exactly when I take it in, so they might not be able to diagnose what's wrong)? If they do look at it, should I back up all my stuff on it beforehand in case they take it in? If they find something wrong with it, would they give me a new ipad or would they take it in, fix it and return it to me?

Don't know anything about Apple products or how their ipad warranty service works, so any help would be great.

[quote name='CENNY']Need some advice about what to do with my ipad- I was an early adopter thanks to a gift from my dad, so my one year warranty will be ending mid April i.e. in a few weeks. It's been working ok lately, but I have had some issues over the last year where the ipad freezes up (home screen, internet, basically whatever I'm trying to do) for no good reason. Like, when I'm typing in an internet address, it will take twenty or thirty seconds just to show the letter onscreen. I have never dropped or otherwise misused the ipad. The problem usually seems to go away if I connect it to the outlet and wait a few minutes (but not always- a few times I've had to just switch it off in frustration since I'm unable to use it), so I'm thinking maybe it's something to do with the battery, or the memory.

Like I say it hasn't happened in a few weeks, but I'm wondering what to do now that the 1 year of ownership date is nearly here. Should I take it in for them to look at, given that the "issue" only sometimes shows itself (and it's unlikely that it will be happening exactly when I take it in, so they might not be able to diagnose what's wrong)? If they do look at it, should I back up all my stuff on it beforehand in case they take it in? If they find something wrong with it, would they give me a new ipad or would they take it in, fix it and return it to me?

Don't know anything about Apple products or how their ipad warranty service works, so any help would be great.[/QUOTE]

All of your questions can be answered by taking the time to review Apple's One Year Limited Warranty Policy for the iPad.

Exercise your brain.

If you have an Apple store nearby, set up a genius appointment and take it in and explain what's going on.

As many things as I dislike about Apple, they have outstanding customer service.

Looks like most Best Buy stores got some iPad 2's in stock tonight after close. I only checked the 16gb Black ones, but it's available at all of my Best Buy stores within a 100 mile radius or so. Check here if you're still wanting one.

I just ordered one of these iPad 2 sleeve cases:

http://www.casecrown.com/ipad2/symmetric

I got the black/white version. It's suppose to hold the iPad 2 with cover. I wanted something like this for my backpack. I took the free slow ass shipping (parcel post) seeing how my iPad 2 isn't supposed to arrive until the 14th. I'll post some impressions when I get it, but I'll probably have it before I have the iPad. They have some other sleeves including a neoprene one.

Looks like a nice sleeve.

As I think I noted before, I'm just using a 10.2" neoprene netbook sleeve made by Tuari I got from Target for $13. It works fine and is pretty well made. Holds the iPad with smart cover with room to spare and has a zippered pocked on the front that I keep a microfiber cloth in for wiping down the screen.

I still just have the $5 neoprene sleeve from five below. Other than that, the iPad is naked... No screen protector or case. It only goes from my bedroom to my living room though.

Yeah, I really like keeping it thin and sleek. It's already a bit heavy for my liking so I don't want to put it in a full case.

One option some have noted doing is just putting a skin on the back to protect the aluminum, and using the smart cover on the front and maybe putting it all in a sleeve when putting it in an bag. I don't really worry about getting some scracthes on the back myself, so I'm fine with just the cover/sleeve combo personally.

I have read a lot of reviews of third party full cases yet as they're probably aren't a ton readily available yet, but I'm sure there will be a deluge of them out soon and then some more reviews and impressions on iPad forum sites etc.

[quote name='mcdaking84']I know this is probably in here somewhere but does anyone have any instructions on how to jailbreak an ipod touch 4g?[/QUOTE]

There's a separate thread for jailbreaking. Try the forum search tool. I'd look, but I'm posting from my iPhone.

[quote name='mykevermin']Smart cover's not doing it for me. I want something more complete, that covers the aluminum back.

What covers do you all recommend?[/QUOTE]

Seconded.

Though I do love how the case can roll up and be a stand. I need something to carry it in when I go to class or wherever.

[quote name='dmaul1114']...and has a zippered pocked on the front that I keep a microfiber cloth in for wiping down the screen.[/QUOTE]

In case you didn't realize it you can fold the smart cover into the triangle stand but inside-out, and use it to wipe your screen.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']There's a separate thread for jailbreaking. Try the forum search tool. I'd look, but I'm posting from my iPhone.[/QUOTE]

There isn't any more - I had created it, but eventually I closed it. I didn't want to police it. That was just my decision. Anyone could create a new one.

My GF just got a kindle and has a ton of iTunes credit. When the kindle app starts in app purchases, she should theoretically be able to buy books with her credit then re-download them to the kindle, correct?

[quote name='seanr1221']My GF just got a kindle and has a ton of iTunes credit. When the kindle app starts in app purchases, she should theoretically be able to buy books with her credit then re-download them to the kindle, correct?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, everything you buy from the Kindle store goes into your account. I share my books with my kindle, droid, and ipad.

That's presuming that Amazon doesn't pull the Kindle app and go with a web app. I actually think a web app could work well, but it wouldn't help with using iTunes credit to buy books. Also I'm not sure how much local storage a web app can use, so that could be a factor. It may be unlimited, but I'm not sure. FYI, a web app can be saved as an icon on the springboard and it's not just a bookmark, rather it's as self-contained web app that runs separate from Safari.

[quote name='Scorch']Seconded.

Though I do love how the case can roll up and be a stand. I need something to carry it in when I go to class or wherever.[/QUOTE]

You can do what I do and get a neoprene sleeve to put it in when putting it in your bag to take to class etc.

Then you have the ipad nice and thin with just the smart cover on it when using it (and can use the typing stand etc.) and have a nice padded case to protect it on the go.

Any 10" netbook sleeve will work. They make iPad specific ones, but they're more expensive and are more or less the same thing just a tad smaller.

[quote name='keithp']In case you didn't realize it you can fold the smart cover into the triangle stand but inside-out, and use it to wipe your screen.[/QUOTE]

I tried it once, a cloth just works better. Plus it seems counter-productive to me to wipe all the finger grease etc. off the screen and onto the side of the cover that's always touching the screen...

[quote name='seanr1221']My GF just got a kindle and has a ton of iTunes credit. When the kindle app starts in app purchases, she should theoretically be able to buy books with her credit then re-download them to the kindle, correct?[/QUOTE]

No. Kindle books aren't bought in iTunes. They're only bought from Amazon directly. Currently it works by jumping you from the Kindle app into Safari to buy Kindle books from Amazon.com. So you can't use iTunes credit. Only Amazon.com credit if you have any applied to your Amazon account.

Apple is trying to change that by making them add in app purchasing as an option so they get a 30% cut. But Amazon isn't going to go for that. They'll either leave the iOS platform totally, or find some other workaround like having a web app instead of a stand alone app etc.

She could use the iTunes credits to buy books from the Apple iBooks store though. But she could only read those in iBooks on the iPad and not on her actual Kindle.

[quote name='crunchewy']That's presuming that Amazon doesn't pull the Kindle app and go with a web app. [/QUOTE]

I have a feeling that's how they'll get around it and still stay on the iOS platform. As long as one can still read e-books offline (store at least one book at a time in the cache etc.), then it will be mostly ok solution. If you have to be connected, then that's not so great for those with the wifi only models since you could only read at home or at a wifi hotspot etc.

I really don't see them pulling out of iOS. A web app would not be a great solution for iPod Touch and iPad (wifi) users.

If they pull out completely, they risk people just buying books from the iBook store. I think Amazon will just suck it up and/or give extra incentives for buying directly from them.

They'll only pull out if they can't find a work around.

They will not accept the in app purchases as giving Apple 30% of every book sold would pretty much take all their profits on e-book sales.

I'm guessing they'll do the web app as I don't think there's anyway Apple could legally block that since it wouldn't be in their App store etc.

As I've said, I don't care as I don't much like reading novels on the iPad as it's hard on my eyes and too heavy, so I'm keeping my Kindle 3 anyway. But I hope the app sticks around for those who do use it as Amazon easily has the best e-book store in terms of selection and prices.

So I recently got an iPhone and iPad. I started making purchases of games and what not and my question is how many devices can I put these games and apps on? Is there a max? And if so, how do i remove them from a certain device. For example, if was upgrading from an iPad to iPad 2 and was going to sell the original iPad.

[quote name='DomLando']So I recently got an iPhone and iPad. I started making purchases of games and what not and my question is how many devices can I put these games and apps on? Is there a max? And if so, how do i remove them from a certain device. For example, if was upgrading from an iPad to iPad 2 and was going to sell the original iPad.[/QUOTE]

You can share the apps between both devices, and I don't believe there is a limit.

When it comes time to sell the ipad you can just back it up on itunes and do a master reset. When you get the ipad 2 you will just restore the apps/settings onto that from itunes.

Anyone have a colcasac for their iPad?

I have one for my phone for when I want to just throw it my bag. It's one of the nicest sleeve type cases I've seen. Fits the phone perfectly, is all handmade, and has a nice interior fabric that wipes the screen clean when you put it in and take it out.

http://www.colcasac.com/ipad-sleeve

I carry my iPad 2 in my messenger bag now and have just been using the smart cover and a small cloth bag, but the bag is too big and very thin so it doesn't offer any protection except against scratching from other stuff in my bag.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']You can share the apps between both devices, and I don't believe there is a limit.

When it comes time to sell the ipad you can just back it up on itunes and do a master reset. When you get the ipad 2 you will just restore the apps/settings onto that from itunes.[/QUOTE]

My fiancee is getting an iPhone as well. Will I be able to share them with her iPhone to?

Only if they're on the same iTunes account I believe.

iPhone apps are mostly pretty crummy on the ipad as well since you either get an iPhone sized screen in the middle or can blow it up 2x which tends to pixelate most apps badly. So most of the time you'll want to get the iPad specific app (even if it's paid) if it's something you use often.

Though note that some apps are "universal" and run native on iPhone and iPad. Some examples of that:

Carcassonne
Reined Knizia's Samurai
Plunderland
Netflix

Etc.

I have to say, Goodreader really kicks ass for PDFs of scholarly journal articles.

Easy to crop margins and zoom in on text etc. Used it a lot today while doing some writing. Need to work more on building up my electronic library of article PDFs. Just handy has hell having them all on there and easy to find and flip through vs. needing to be in my campus office and digging through the file cabinet to find the printouts.

iAnnotate is a thousand times better than goodreader when it comes to scholarly articles.

Just finished marking up and organizing 10 articles with it.

[quote name='DomLando']my question is how many devices can I put these games and apps on?[/QUOTE]

you can authorize five devices to use your iTunes content, at least for media (music/movies). If that applies to apps as well, then, well, five.

[quote name='seanr1221']iAnnotate is a thousand times better than goodreader when it comes to scholarly articles.

Just finished marking up and organizing 10 articles with it.[/QUOTE]

I've heard of that one, but I don't do a lot of marking up anyway beyond simple highlighting.

Goodreader was half the price and seems to do all I need as it displays things great, has an awesome cropping feature, is easy to move files over from the PC in files and folders and keep them that way (make a zip file on the PC with all your folders and files in it, then drag it over in iTunes and then unzip in goodreader), and has highlight and note features if I want them that seem to work pretty well. Though I'm sure iAnnotate's are a lot more robust on that front from what I've read about it.

Spent an hour or two today organizing 100 some PDFs into folders by topic then zipped it all and moved it into Goodreader. Just need to chip away at downloading PDFs of a bunch of other articles I only have in printouts or physical journals that are central to my research area.

Anyway, what do you use in iAnnotate that makes you like it so much more?

I feel like iAnnotate is just a lot easier to use. I like the organization more, easily being able to draw, highlight in all different colors, the speed when PDFs are tabbed and easily being able to email myself the annotations. It's just very user friendly.

I havent touched Goodreader in quite some time, so maybe they added some of these things, but the professors I've shown iAnnotate to (that use Goodreader) seem to be impressed.

bread's done
Back