iPhone OS 3.0 & 3GS Disscussion

[quote name='jimjom']jailbroken 3.0 3G, i cant get an mms out to save my life!

ipcc 5.5, just dont work. guess ill try out 3.1 and see if by some miracle it works.

welcome to 2004! fucking lame ass apple/att bullshit![/QUOTE]

i jailbroke mine a few days ago to 3.1, after restoring with the new firmware you get the message about "new carrier settings"

I haven't had a problem with the 3.1 update, besides some battery life issues...love the mms, but to be honest sending photo's out via email were fine with me.

On the 8th I can choose an iphone and upgrade early if I desire....hrm....

No keyboard though is still a huge turnoff for me though

[quote name='strongpimphand']On the 8th I can choose an iphone and upgrade early if I desire....hrm....

No keyboard though is still a huge turnoff for me though[/QUOTE]

in landscape mode i type faster than my friends with blackberrys and G1s

you get used to the no keyboard thing. personally id like to have one as well. but once youve used it for a little bit you dont really think about it.

My mom's switching me, my sister and my dad from Verizon to AT&T (she's getting a discount of some kind through her work). I have until tomorrow to decide if I want an iPhone or not.

Some nagging questions I have:
1) Do you think 16 GB is enough? I noticed the old 3G iPhone has only 8 GB and I have a feeling twice that is still pretty damn good. I do plan on downloading games and maybe uploading a good amount of videos though.
2) Is there an app that can take the place of the messaging plan? I think my mom does not want to pay $30 for the unlimited family plan.
3) Will I be able to upgrade my current phone for a better model when they become available? Is it easy to transfer data between them?
4) Are there any accessories I should definitely buy? I really want something similar to my uncle's case/belt clip for his Blackberry, which has a magnetic snap-on/off tab.

I have probably have more but it's not coming to me at the moment.

[quote name='Hostile']My mom's switching me, my sister and my dad from Verizon to AT&T (she's getting a discount of some kind through her work). I have until tomorrow to decide if I want an iPhone or not.

Some nagging questions I have:
1) Do you think 16 GB is enough? I noticed the old 3G iPhone has only 8 GB and I have a feeling twice that is still pretty damn good. I do plan on downloading games and maybe uploading a good amount of videos though.
2) Is there an app that can take the place of the messaging plan? I think my mom does not want to pay $30 for the unlimited family plan.
3) Will I be able to upgrade my current phone for a better model when they become available? Is it easy to transfer data between them?
4) Are there any accessories I should definitely buy? I really want something similar to my uncle's case/belt clip for his Blackberry, which has a magnetic snap-on/off tab.

I have probably have more but it's not coming to me at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Your mom pays for the cell phone bill and you dont know if you want an iPhone? Walk over to the mirror, take a long hard look into your own eyes and then slap the shit out of yourself.

[quote name='Malik112099']Your mom pays for the cell phone bill and you dont know if you want an iPhone? Walk over to the mirror, take a long hard look into your own eyes and then slap the shit out of yourself.[/QUOTE]

It's more like I really want one but I just don't want to be disappointed because disappointment will cost my mom $30 extra every month for two years.

[quote name='Hostile']It's more like I really want one but I just don't want to be disappointed because disappointment will cost my mom $30 extra every month for two years.[/QUOTE]

How the fuck would you be disappointed with a free iPhone?

[quote name='Malik112099']How the fuck would you be disappointed with a free iPhone?[/QUOTE]

How the **** would I know what I might or might not be disappointed with in regards to the iPhone when I DO NOT HAVE ONE YET. I'll also repeat that it is not free.

[quote name='Malik112099']Your mom pays for the cell phone bill and you dont know if you want an iPhone? Walk over to the mirror, take a long hard look into your own eyes and then slap the shit out of yourself.[/QUOTE]

Now that sir, is funny!

No you will not be disappointed with the Iphone. I have heard no complaints(nor do I have any) for the Iphone 3gs. 16gb should be plenty of room for all you want and need to do.

Yeah..just do a lil research and you will see that you will not be let down. Currently iPhone users are the happiest of all smartphone users. Look it up, its true.

1. wow, lol

2. you could just go to an Apple store and play with them. As for storage if you're doing video you may want to get as much space as possible. I have 32gb on my Touch and it feels sufficient, unlike my old First gen 16gb touch.

[quote name='Malik112099']Yeah..just do a lil research and you will see that you will not be let down. Currently iPhone users are the happiest of all smartphone users. Look it up, its true.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='VipFREAK'] 2. you could just go to an Apple store and play with them. As for storage if you're doing video you may want to get as much space as possible. I have 32gb on my Touch and it feels sufficient, unlike my old First gen 16gb touch.[/QUOTE]

I only started using cellphones about 6 months ago so I don't particularly know if the technical specifications of the iPhone are on-par or not. I do know I'm interested in the games, in apps and being connected to the internet anywhere.

Does anyone have any opinions/answers to:
1) Is there an app that can take the place of the messaging plan?
2) Will I be able to upgrade my current phone for a better model when they become available? Is it easy to transfer data between them?
3) Are there any accessories I should definitely buy? I really want something similar to my uncle's case/belt clip for his Blackberry, which has a magnetic snap-on/off tab.
4) Recommended games and apps? (also interested in apps for keeping track of baseball and football)

[quote name='Hostile']I only started using cellphones about 6 months ago so I don't particularly know if the technical specifications of the iPhone are on-par or not. I do know I'm interested in the games, in apps and being connected to the internet anywhere.

Does anyone have any opinions/answers to:
1) Is there an app that can take the place of the messaging plan?
2) Will I be able to upgrade my current phone for a better model when they become available? Is it easy to transfer data between them?
3) Are there any accessories I should definitely buy? I really want something similar to my uncle's case/belt clip for his Blackberry, which has a magnetic snap-on/off tab.
4) Recommended games and apps? (also interested in apps for keeping track of baseball and football)[/QUOTE]

I just got a hand-me-down original iphone and I love it. I can't imagine going back to my old run of the mill phone. I don't know if there's an app that would take place of messaging but with the basic data plan that's required with the use of an iphone you get 200 text messages a month. At least that's what I get with my plan. I use yahoo and aim instant messanger apps which might help you reduce the amount of texts.
For sports apps, I only use free ones and I've been real pleased with Sports Tap.
I don't use any accessories and I don't think I can help you about transferring data between phones, I guess it depends on what the other phone would be.

[quote name='Hostile']
1) Is there an app that can take the place of the messaging plan? [/QUOTE]

Not really.

If you have a Google voice account you could use the web access, but that takes away from the immediacy of texts.

You could use AIM or Yahoo Messenger apps as well, but I know for a fact T-Mobile blocks texts sent from AIM.

I'm not sure if any of the Yahoo Messenger apps have push.

[quote name='Hostile']
2) Will I be able to upgrade my current phone for a better model when they become available? [/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='Hostile']
3) Are there any accessories I should definitely buy? I really want something similar to my uncle's case/belt clip for his Blackberry, which has a magnetic snap-on/off tab.[/QUOTE]

Screen protector

[quote name='Hostile']
4) Recommended games and apps? (also interested in apps for keeping track of baseball and football)[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196903

www.toucharcade.com

[quote name='deszaras']I just got a hand-me-down original iphone and I love it. I can't imagine going back to my old run of the mill phone. I don't know if there's an app that would take place of messaging but with the basic data plan that's required with the use of an iphone you get 200 text messages a month. [/QUOTE]

That's not part of the 3G/3GS data plans

I updated my 3GS to 3.1 today, and everything works fine, except it no longer says "T-Mobile" in the status bar. If I go to About, the Network section says "Not Available."

@deszaras
I meant data transfer from an iPhone to another iPhone.

@manthing
So there's no discount or anything if you want to change your older model for a newer one? That sucks...

[quote name='Hostile']
@manthing
So there's no discount or anything if you want to change your older model for a newer one? That sucks...[/QUOTE]

That's EVERY cell contract in America.

Why would an iPhone be any different?

[quote name='Hostile']

Sportacular, you set up push notifications for any team you like. For example I get a notification every time the gators football game has a change of score. Ever 3 innings I get an update about how much the Cubs are losing. And same...change of score for Chicago Bears game.

Very customizable. Its free so its pretty stupid not to use it. You can check scores n crap but the recent update to push notifications is baller.

[quote name='Hostile']@deszaras
I meant data transfer from an iPhone to another iPhone.[/QUOTE]

you back up your phone in itunes. When you get a new one and sync it itunes will ask if you want to set it up as whatever phone you have named...i think thats how it works at least,,,

I use my phone a lot, so I would recommend getting a case/battery pack. I love the incase one, it easily doubles my phones battery life. It is a bit thick, but I don't have a problem with that. I know the morphie (sp?) case/battery is highly recommended but haven't tried it.

Full Zagg too though took me forever to get the back one on . Like to have never got the bubbles out.

[quote name='naiku']Sportacular, you set up push notifications for any team you like. For example I get a notification every time the gators football game has a change of score. Ever 3 innings I get an update about how much the Cubs are losing. And same...change of score for Chicago Bears game.

Very customizable. Its free so its pretty stupid not to use it. You can check scores n crap but the recent update to push notifications is baller.[/QUOTE]

Ii can't get my push notifications to work. My push is turned on and I added my subscriptions in Sportstacular but have yet to receive anything, and this was a week ago. Eh who knows?

[quote name='specialk']Ii can't get my push notifications to work. My push is turned on and I added my subscriptions in Sportstacular but have yet to receive anything, and this was a week ago. Eh who knows?[/QUOTE]

Settings > Notifications (on) > sportacular > Alerts On Badges On.

I dont have the sound option on. Be sure that area is activated then also inside sportacular u have the teams n junk set up.

Finally jailbroke my 3GS (3.1 out the box) using blackra1n. Go ahead and check it out guys, it took me about 45 seconds tops. Looks like it also works with 3.1.2 FW.

the 2 big things i love w/ my jailbroken phone thats not illegal is the % of battery life next to the battery. hate looking at a half bar battery not knowing the exact amount left.
second is bosspref hiding apps like youtube, itunes, contacts..etc. it really annoys me having those apps on the phone when I will never use them or launch them natively.
there is much more you can do with a jailbroken phone like emulators, record videos, a lot of skinning (battery icons, springboard icons, carrier symbols, bars, transparency anything really) but those are the 2 things i would hate to live without tbh. not a big deal but a lot of little things make the iphone pretty badass.

My fav things about being jailbroken:

Themes
Fonts
iRealQuickSMS
pictures next to names in contacts
full power option menu (hold power button and get power off, reboot and respring options)
Cydia
5 icon dock
SBSettings
hiding unused icons

....just to name a few

[quote name='naiku']Settings > Notifications (on) > sportacular > Alerts On Badges On.

I dont have the sound option on. Be sure that area is activated then also inside sportacular u have the teams n junk set up.[/QUOTE]

many thanks.

Dont know if its the last update or what but the battery life has improved alot on my 3GS, went from about 36 hours to over 48 now. I use mine all the time too

ill have to check out blackrain. ive been stuck with normal firmware since the 3.1 upgrade.

i much prefer the jailbroken version for the customization options. skins, tweaking the menus, hiding icons, 5 item dock (LOVE THIS), etc. so much nicer than apples UI.

[quote name='Bmac1775']Dont know if its the last update or what but the battery life has improved alot on my 3GS, went from about 36 hours to over 48 now. I use mine all the time too[/QUOTE]

did you just go from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2? a lot of people had battery problems with 3.1.1

Yep was getting about 36 hrs(@10%) then went to 3.12 and now got near 60hrs. Ran it till it cut off though

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back