iPod car adaper/FM transmitter?

I was doing some research on these, yesterday.
This was what I found to be the best and will probubly be what I end up buying in the short future.

[quote name='DongHungLong']Do you own all the others to say they are crap? I have the Monster iCarPlay Wireless and it works just fine.[/QUOTE]
I can second this one. Don't go cheap, but there are probably a few models that work OK.

[quote name='DongHungLong']Do you own all the others to say they are crap? I have the Monster iCarPlay Wireless and it works just fine.[/QUOTE]
Can static still be heard with that? My iPod is directly connected to the CD player in my car, but I kinda want to get a better looking setup.

[quote name='elwood731']I can second this one. Don't go cheap, but there are probably a few models that work OK.[/QUOTE]

Monster's iCarplay is great. I tried a couple out (Circuit City takes back open packages), and this was my favorite. It may seem like a minor detail, but this one shuts the iPod off when you turn off the car.

I'd wait until Circuit City has the $15 off $100 coupons available, and just purchase something else with it.

[quote name='JohnnyDrama']Can static still be heard with that? My iPod is directly connected to the CD player in my car, but I kinda want to get a better looking setup.[/QUOTE]
If you find a clear station, then no. Of course, finding a clear station is easier in rural areas than in a big city. Still, I live in Indianapolis and can find clear stations to use it with. No static.

[quote name='DongHungLong']Do you own all the others to say they are crap? I have the Monster iCarPlay Wireless and it works just fine.[/quote]

I have one I'd sell for 60 shipped.

I actually use the monster one as well and love it. The only problem i have is i have to occasionally change stations as in the metroplex there are a lot of occupied bands. However I would have the same problem with any other transmitter.

My iPlayCar works great. You just have to find a station with no signal to get the best use of it. And I personally like the shut off feature. Its pratical for incar use so it doesn't run down your battery by leaving the ipod on.

I have an iCarplay and both channels went out on it , so now it's just a really expensive charge cable .

I think I'm going to get another one and return it . I think it was bad to begin with .

Monster Cable is so highly regarded I don't know why this $80.00 cord seems like such a POS ?

Decided to test out the Griffin Itrip (original non-led one). Quality on it is okay at best. I can get sound to come in, but the static is pretty bad unless you're holding the thing in your hand (kinda wierd). But hey, it was only $4, so i'll cut my losses.

After reading a lot of reviews i narrowed it down to the Kensington 33199 & the Monster IcarPlay. Due to the fact that FYE was OOS on the Monster IcarPlay (i pay $2 for every $6 store credit at FYE; so it'd be cheaper for me); I decided to go with the Kensington 33199; only $49.99 on Buy.com after GCO. Hopefully i made a good choice

[quote name='Bezerker']Decided to test out the Griffin Itrip (original non-led one). Quality on it is okay at best. I can get sound to come in, but the static is pretty bad unless you're holding the thing in your hand (kinda wierd). But hey, it was only $4, so i'll cut my losses.

After reading a lot of reviews i narrowed it down to the Kensington 33199 & the Monster IcarPlay. Due to the fact that FYE was OOS on the Monster IcarPlay (i pay $2 for every $6 store credit at FYE; so it'd be cheaper for me); I decided to go with the Kensington 33199; only $49.99 on Buy.com after GCO. Hopefully i made a good choice[/quote]

Let us know how it is once you get it.

Personally, I hate the radio, so all I want to listen to in my car is my iPod.

So I have an iTrip for dock connectors (black) that I use on my iPod Nano, but I took off my car's antenna to clear all stations of signal. Now I can set my iTrip to any station and get perfect signal if the iPod is within a few feet of it - which conveniently enough, there's a little space underneath the CD player where I set it to play.

The Monster ICarPay is indeed excellent. I use this one most of the time and especially when I travel in a car where it might be awkward to place a dock into it. For my own car I use the Griffin RoadTrip (probably an older model Itrip but I don't think so. I know that I have seen updated models, but all they seem to be different is the fact that they are more rounded) because it's a dock and works fantastic. Very rarely do I get static. I had static one time, but it was only due to a station that had just gotten set up and had begun conflicting with the channel I had had it set at. After finding this out I scanned around and bit and found my current channel which works anywhere I have driven.

[quote name='iowaholdem'] I took off my car's antenna to clear all stations of signal. Now I can set my iTrip to any station and get perfect signal if the iPod is within a few feet of it[/quote]

I wondered about taking the antenna off of my car, but i thought that it might ruin the ability to receive the signal from the fm transmitter. I'll try it out on my way to work and see if it sounds any better with my iTrip.

My Kensington 33199 should ship later today; with any luck ill have it by Friday

Do you guys know how well those cassette adapters work? I was wondering since I purchased a belkin fm transmitter as well but it drove me absolutely mad because just about every empty frequency gave me tons of static. The only time I had a clear signal from the ipod was when I drove through a tunnel or underpass.

So, can you guys recommend a cassette adapter or are they junk?

I went with a TransPod off of eBay for $30. It's originally listed as $100 on CC and the setup in my vehicle is pretty nice and no static!

[quote name='NineH']Do you guys know how well those cassette adapters work? I was wondering since I purchased a belkin fm transmitter as well but it drove me absolutely mad because just about every empty frequency gave me tons of static. The only time I had a clear signal from the ipod was when I drove through a tunnel or underpass.

So, can you guys recommend a cassette adapter or are they junk?[/quote]

I've got a Phillips tape adapter that came with my cd player. It works like a charm. Unfortunately my car doesnt have a tape adapter, so im forced to use a FM transmitter.

Monster Cable also makes a tape adapter, only runs around $9 so it cant hurt too much to try. Not like Monster Cable is a no-name brand.

[quote name='Swift900']I was doing some research on these, yesterday.
This was what I found to be the best and will probubly be what I end up buying in the short future.[/quote]

I have that one. Best one after I bought 3 others. One being Belkin and the other from some Hong Kong company. But so far, it's been great. There's even a trick that allows you to change the frequency to 87.7, which almost no one uses for clear listening. Not CD quality, but decent.

harman-kardon-drive-play.gif

I love my Drive + Play

It's integrated into the car's aux imput, and I can change songs/playlists without looking down.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/

[quote name='vasco']I have that one. Best one after I bought 3 others. One being Belkin and the other from some Hong Kong company. But so far, it's been great. There's even a trick that allows you to change the frequency to 87.7, which almost no one uses for clear listening. Not CD quality, but decent.[/quote]
I got my Kensington 33199 today. Thing is so much better than the Griffin iTrip. Quality of sound is almost cd. The only problem seems to be that since i cant adjust the volume with the ipod (or the transmitter) most of the heavy metal music i listen to sounds a bit distorted (gives a crackling, 'snow' noise).

I've got it set on 88.1, i bet 87.7 would probably sound even better. Vasco, any chance you can tell me how to get it to go that low?

[quote name='Bezerker']I got my Kensington 33199 today. Thing is so much better than the Griffin iTrip. Quality of sound is almost cd. The only problem seems to be that since i cant adjust the volume with the ipod (or the transmitter) most of the heavy metal music i listen to sounds a bit distorted (gives a crackling, 'snow' noise).

I've got it set on 88.1, i bet 87.7 would probably sound even better. Vasco, any chance you can tell me how to get it to go that low?[/quote]

Dude... just hold down the first and third buttons while pressing the dial downwards. The only thing that sucks is that you have to do it each time you turn your car on again.

[quote name='NineH']Do you guys know how well those cassette adapters work? I was wondering since I purchased a belkin fm transmitter as well but it drove me absolutely mad because just about every empty frequency gave me tons of static. The only time I had a clear signal from the ipod was when I drove through a tunnel or underpass.

So, can you guys recommend a cassette adapter or are they junk?[/quote]

I've had a cassette adapter for over 2 years now and have no complaints. No static, very clear and crisp sound. Just connect into your audio output (headphone jack) and your good to go, no fussy channels to tune to. I have some Sony version and for under $20 you can't go wrong. I use my PSP and listen to Podcasts and WMV files that IMO sound almost as good as a CD.

If you are lucky like me and your car still has a tape deck, go with the cassette adapter, cheap and probably better than these radio signal ones.

[quote name='aboveaveragewes']Anyone know of any good deals on one of these... perhaps cheaper than $75?[/quote]

good luck. i got my DLO for $30 on sale last year @ amazon.com, but haven't seen them cheaper than $100 since then. DLO's a good brand, mine works great. most of them out there suck...

Bump old topic.

I'm considering getting an Monster IcarPlay FM Transmitter, but Amazon has 3 different ones, all with the same pics, but different code names and prices.

I won't be using an iPod, but these will still work right?

1)http://www.amazon.com/Monster-12588...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1214796563&sr=1-9
2)http://www.amazon.com/Monster-AI-SH...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1214796563&sr=1-5
3)http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iCarP...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1214796563&sr=1-1

What's the difference here?
I want the 1st one because it's cheaper, but there is almost no info on it. The 2nd is reviewed very poorly.

bread's done
Back