Ipod Shuffle

If you go to a participating college or high school (?) apple offers student discounts from their online store. I'm not sure if there is a discount on shuffles but it might be worth a look.

Not to crush your hopes or anything, but I doubt it. Despite their excellent products, Apple is very tight when it comes to promos or discounts. They strong arm retailers to sell products at their prices, so you most likely won't find it anywhere under $90 at the lowest. If you do happen to find one lower than that, let me know so I can get one too!

Good luck with your search...

EDIT: Wow, I take that back. Seems Target is running a 10% off promo this week, and the offer includes iPod. From DealMac:

Target.com trims 10% off a purchase with no minimum required, even on iPods, via coupon code "TCTENMAYDAYS". Target.com currently has stock of the following models, while most others ship in "two to six weeks". All prices are after the coupon, which expires May 4. (Search for "iPod" to find the backordered models.)
iPod shuffle 512MB for $89.99 (to find it, search for "689446");
iPod shuffle 1GB for $134.99 (search for "689449");
iPod mini 6GB in blue, pink, and green for $224.99 each; and
iPod U2 Edition 20GB for $314.99.

It's only ten bucks off, but hey, it's something. It expires tomorrow, though, so you'd better get a move on!

The lowest I've seen them for in stores is about $90. I think your best bet at this point would be trying to order one online from a store that you won't have to pay tax on that still has reasonable shipping prices.

You can probably get them cheaper at a store like Sam's Club or Costco, which usually discount items by a certain %. I remember seeing an iPod for like $280 at Costco, so a Shuffle will probably be around $90.

On an off topic note, is buying a battery pack from Apple the only way to continue using your shuffle after the battery dies (not that mine has, but I want to prepare for when it does), because that's just retarded and pure greed on Apple's part if a battery pack is required, and how long does the internal battery last?

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']You can probably get them cheaper at a store like Sam's Club or Costco, which usually discount items by a certain %. I remember seeing an iPod for like $280 at Costco, so a Shuffle will probably be around $90.

On an off topic note, is buying a battery pack from Apple the only way to continue using your shuffle after the battery dies (not that mine has, but I want to prepare for when it does), because that's just retarded and pure greed on Apple's part if a battery pack is required, and how long does the internal battery last?[/QUOTE]

The shuffle uses an integrated USB Lithium-ion battery that will last about two years. By then, iPod shuffles will be available in bigger capacities and you'll probably want a new one anyway. If you really are that concerned about the battery dying, this website (http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000700034044/) shows you how to disassemble your shuffle to replace the battery.

I disagree with your "retarded and pure greed" comments, but I'll just leave that alone. No point in starting a flame war.

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']You can probably get them cheaper at a store like Sam's Club or Costco, which usually discount items by a certain %. I remember seeing an iPod for like $280 at Costco, so a Shuffle will probably be around $90.

On an off topic note, is buying a battery pack from Apple the only way to continue using your shuffle after the battery dies (not that mine has, but I want to prepare for when it does), because that's just retarded and pure greed on Apple's part if a battery pack is required, and how long does the internal battery last?[/QUOTE]
yes AFAIK the Ipod Batteries are all only apple serviceable and replaceable, and gettign a new battery costs almost as much as a new ipod.

So, not to start a flame war here, but why a shuffle? IMO they are bulky, feature poor and overpriced. Personally I think the Creative Muvo's have shuffles beat hands down. They are cheaper, have tons of features, can plug directly into the USB port on any computer with no cables or software and use AAA batteries so I never have to worry about it dying. I got a charger and 4 rechargable batteries for like 15 bucks.

[quote name='Thaaron']So, not to start a flame war here, but why a shuffle? IMO they are bulky, feature poor and overpriced. Personally I think the Creative Muvo's have shuffles beat hands down. They are cheaper, have tons of features, can plug directly into the USB port on any computer with no cables or software and use AAA batteries so I never have to worry about it dying. I got a charger and 4 rechargable batteries for like 15 bucks.[/QUOTE]

the ipod shuffle is about the size of a cheap, plastic cigarette lighter.... :lol:

EDIT: i tried to insert a picture of the shuffle next to a package of gum, but it didn't show up. look at this link: http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/

specs.html

[quote name='Thaaron']So, not to start a flame war here, but why a shuffle? IMO they are bulky, feature poor and overpriced. Personally I think the Creative Muvo's have shuffles beat hands down. They are cheaper, have tons of features, can plug directly into the USB port on any computer with no cables or software and use AAA batteries so I never have to worry about it dying. I got a charger and 4 rechargable batteries for like 15 bucks.[/QUOTE]
Just one thing, how is the ipod shuffle bulky? its not much bigger than a flash drive.

[quote name='tornadomann']Just one thing, how is the ipod shuffle bulky? its not much bigger than a flash drive.[/QUOTE]

OK, you're right on this point. For some reason I've always thought they looked bulky but I looked at the specs and they really aren't. Maybe I was thinking of the first generation shuffles. *shrug*

Thanks for the advice everyone, but I went ahead and paid full price ($108.36 after tax) to make sure that I'd have my mom's gift ready on time.

And in case you haven't seen a Shuffle, I have one and can attest to their being small enough to carry in a pocket virtually unnoticed. It makes a pretty good entry-level mp3 player if you don't mind the limitations and it isn't a calamity if ill fate falls upon it since it's relatively inexpensive.

The only thing is that I wish I could give my mom my 512mb shuffle and get the 1gb one for myself...

I'm so horrible. Tempted to pawn off second-hand stuff to my own mother.

bread's done
Back