iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

I don't think any of the Office suite apps are very good if you want to do more than simple editing of very simple documents.

I'm mostly doing long papers with lots of tables, figures, equations etc. and from playing around with Pages on my girlfriends iPad (and from what I've read about Docs to go) that stuff is hard to do and formatting tends to get screwed up going back and forth from the app to Office on the PC.

So like Caltab, I don't do anything productive on the iPad really, other than reading PDFs of scholarly journal articles in Goodreader. I'd like to be more productive on a Tablet, but the iPad just isn't ideal for much work stuff currently. I'm interested to see how the Tablet OS Microsoft is working on for late 2012 turns out as I'd think they'd have tablet versions of the Office programs along with it etc.

Anyway, I didn't have any problems doing the firmware update. I did it right away as I've had lots of problems with the video freezing in Facetime which it's supposed to fix.

[quote name='jacknicklson']I really like Office2 but as dmaul said, don't expect to edit anything complex.

I used it to modify my resume once...bad idea.[/QUOTE]

Generally if you use RTF rather than Doc the formatting is preserved better.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't think any of the Office suite apps are very good if you want to do more than simple editing of very simple documents.[/QUOTE]

Is that true of Pages, Numbers and Keynote? I though they were pretty full featured. I was considering picking up Pages and Numbers, at least.

[quote name='TheRock88']For iPad owners, what's the best word processing/office suite apps? Seems like most people prefer Pages by Apple but for $5 more, it looks like you can get a 3rd party suite with presentation and spreadsheet app included.[/QUOTE]

Depends on whether you plan on opening said document later on in office versus handing in a PDF. I got docstogo premium because it at least preserves word formatting it doesn't understand on most cases.

I've never had any problems with updates for the iPhone and not so far with my iPad 2 either (I haven't installed the current one yet. If you use TinyUmbrella, it messes with your Hosts file and makes it so you can't restore, normally, incidentally. It may also cause problems with updates, but I'm not sure. You'll get an error and it will fail. It's fixable by removing the entry it puts into the hosts file, which is what is causing the problem.

[quote name='crunchewy']I've never had any problems with updates for the iPhone and not so far with my iPad 2 either (I haven't installed the current one yet. If you use TinyUmbrella, it messes with your Hosts file and makes it so you can't restore, normally, incidentally. It may also cause problems with updates, but I'm not sure. You'll get an error and it will fail. It's fixable by removing the entry it puts into the hosts file, which is what is causing the problem.[/QUOTE]

Whoa guys...

etslay opstay allway ethay inytay umbrellaway alktay orway eway
illway oselay ourway urtletay ecksnay

[quote name='pROvIs']Whoa guys...

illway oselay ourway urtletay ecksnay[/QUOTE]

I followed you up until the turtle sex part and then you lost me

[quote name='crunchewy']Is that true of Pages, Numbers and Keynote? I though they were pretty full featured. I was considering picking up Pages and Numbers, at least.[/QUOTE]

I can only personally speak to Pages, but yes.

From using it on my girlfriend's iPad 1 it wrecked a lot of formatting going back and forth between in and word on the PC.

It's probably ok if you're just working with pure text essay's etc. But I'm writing scholarly journal articles so I have lots of tables, figures, equations etc. and it's just a nightmare with those kind of documents.

Docs to Go I haven't used, but from asking others on other forums about it, they say it's much the same--ok for simple docs but not very useful for more complex documents.

So it just depends on your needs. It doesn't work for me, but my needs are a little heavier duty than many peoples I imagine. The iPad just isn't meant to be a productivity tool really, so I've stopped trying to use it as such beyond reading PDFs and using the Calendar synched with my Google calendar etc.

One Single Life is actually pretty fun ...

Lol at the people complaining in the reviews about only having a single life ...

And actually, the name is a lie ;)

[quote name='etcrane']One Single Life is actually pretty fun ...

Lol at the people complaining in the reviews about only having a single life ...

And actually, the name is a lie ;)[/QUOTE]

How do you get another life, then, aside from reinstall?

Sonuvagun, the highly-decent shmup Icarus-X has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"Icarus-X is a Full 3D Vertical Shooter, featuring fast paced action, epic boss battles, challenging achievements, downloadable replays and the mandatory online leaderboards!"

FMX Riders, by the same developers as Icarus-X, is also currently available for FREE.
"FMX Riders is an Arcade Freestyle Motocross Racer loaded with features, the most important being it's FUN!
Swipe across your rider when in the air to do flips and spins! It's plainly intuitive!"

[quote name='WilliamG']How do you get another life, then, aside from reinstall?[/QUOTE]

It's a secret ;) ... try playing through the credits

hmm, went to download Icarus-X and it now says my account is disabled. Anyone ever have this happen? I contacted support but not sure what happened.

[quote name='pROvIs']hmm, went to download Icarus-X and it now says my account is disabled. Anyone ever have this happen? I contacted support but not sure what happened.[/QUOTE]

You may just have failed to put your "username" in correctly. I had that happen, and it turned out it was talking about some past account, or perhaps it's just a confusing error message. I had to put in my full email address as my username and that worked.

[quote name='crunchewy']You may just have failed to put your "username" in correctly. I had that happen, and it turned out it was talking about some past account, or perhaps it's just a confusing error message. I had to put in my full email address as my username and that worked.[/QUOTE]
Well I emailed them and they responded asking for verification info. My guess is this is because I changed my CC info. Seems like a really stupid reason to lock an account though. Hopefully, I don't miss any deals while they figure this out.

Important: If you bought an iPad 1 through the AT&T promotion (the one with a free month of 3G data), you may want to call soon to cancel your 3G data plan assuming you don't want to keep paying after the end of the first month.

It seems you are unable to do this from the iPad itself, nor from the website, so you'll need to call their customer service who can take care of it, but it took me 25 minutes...

[quote name='crunchewy']That really sounds pretty stupid.[/QUOTE]
It *IS* pretty stupid -- especially because the jumping control is nowhere near as tight as Canabalt or Robot Unicorn Attack. Stick to those games.
I get what they were going for with this game, but I don't think it succeeds.

A game ive been playing for a while has gone on sale to 59p/99c Silverfish. Great game a mixture between pac man, snake and a few others. Theres a free version to try out if your not sure. But the free only has one mode rather than the four in the full game. I havent got any links, can anyone help. Thanks

Last edited:
[quote name='Maklershed']Can someone point me to a good, reasonably priced golf game for the iPad?[/QUOTE]

Something more realistic than say Super Stickman Golf?

[quote name='Maklershed']Can someone point me to a good, reasonably priced golf game for the iPad?[/QUOTE]

Gameloft seemed to have a winner with real golf hd 2011 (.99) but according to the reviews on iTunes, seemed to screw it up with their latest update. Maybe a future update may fix it?

[quote name='xXFOALSXx']A game ive been playing for a while has gone on sale to 59p/99c Silverfish. Great game a mixture between pac man, snake and a few others. Theres a free version to try out if your not sure. But the free only has one mode rather than the four in the full game. I havent got any links, can anyone help. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Here are the links, I'll try out the free version, thanks

Silverfish
http://appshopper.com/games/silverfish

Free version
http://appshopper.com/games/silverfish-free

[quote name='pROvIs']Whoa guys...

illway oselay ourway urtletay ecksnay[/QUOTE]

Well, I thought it would be a good idea to back up my wifi ipad2 software with tinyumbrella. You think I'll have issues when I want to update it? Or are these issues with baseband iphone stuff?

[quote name='dallow']Something more realistic than say Super Stickman Golf?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, doesn't have to be like Tiger Woods but something a little more based in realty. Something more on the lines of Mario Golf for Gameboy. :)

How is the Super Stickman game though?

[quote name='tangamer']Great Little War Game is free this weekend for all your strategy fans. Very good reviews[/QUOTE]

Nice deal. Can't play it on my iPod Touch 2G, but downloaded it anyway if I ever can afford to upgrade!

Vector Runner is the new main FAAD game right now.
"The blockbuster hit racing game featured in the App Store's New and Noteworthy, What's Hot, What We're Playing, and Made for iOS 4 categories.
Pilot your racer at breakneck speeds while avoiding oncoming obstacles in this highly addictive retro-styled 3D racing game. Also featuring a heartrate accelerating drum & bass soundtrack, rumble effects (iPhone only), Game Center leaderboard and achievements, and high resolution graphics for Retina displays."

Bug Village
is another FAAD title.
"This is BUG VILLAGE, a tiny town where you build and nurture a colony of ACTIVE ANTS and BUSY BEES! Construct homes to attract PLAYFUL BUGS and direct them to the garden, where they can gather resources to expand your village. Feed your bugs to keep them energized and healthy. Add cute decorations and flowers to make the colony BUZZ WITH EXCITEMENT! Small is beautiful in BUG VILLAGE!"

Babel Rising
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Babel Rising is an action puzzle game offering hours of gameplay. The challenge is simple: unleash your powers to prevent the humans from building the tower."
"You have six devastating powers at your disposal, including the thunderbolt, the typhoon and earthquake!
From the simplest to the most powerful, master them, use them one after the other and combine them to increase their impact.
Divine power is at your fingertips: sweep the screen from top to bottom and left to right with one finger or more to unleash your wrath."

[quote name='Maklershed']Yeah, doesn't have to be like Tiger Woods but something a little more based in realty. Something more on the lines of Mario Golf for Gameboy. :)

How is the Super Stickman game though?[/QUOTE]

Let's Golf or Let's Golf 2? I got the first one for free last year I think and I still play it from time to time. It's a great golf game that reminds me of the Mario Golf series.

[quote name='pROvIs']hmm, went to download Icarus-X and it now says my account is disabled. Anyone ever have this happen? I contacted support but not sure what happened.[/QUOTE]

Just a word of warning, be very careful buying itunes gift cards second hand. I bought two from a guy a few weeks ago and both redeemed, no problem. Turns out they were purchased with a stolen cc and this is why my iTunes account is disabled. To make things worse iTunes only offers email support and ask for confidential things like last 4 of your cc over email. Right now I'm sitting in limbo in an investigation unable to purchase even free apps until it is resolved. I gave them an eBay user ID, paypal transaction ID, correspondence where they sent the codes, etc., etc. All I'm told is it will take at least 4 days to hear back from their security team.

I am really disappointed in apples support on this victimizing a buyer of a fraudulent card even further. I understand the need of investigation but with the documents I provided, it should have been clear cut that this wasn't my fault. If I wasn't convinced to jailbreak before I am now. Being at the mercy of apple to use your product as intended as a legitimate consumer is not fun an I intend to find anyway to not let them do it again.

Anyone know of a good program for organizing the desktop? Two features I'd like are the ability to group apps (such as 'Games', 'Utilities', etc), and the ability to sort apps. They seem like no-brainer functionalites, but i can't find an app for them.

You can just drag and drop like apps on top of each other and it will automatically group them. Or is it that not what you're looking for?

You may also want Pimp Your Home Screen. It provides shelves and little place holders for the app tiles.

At first I was shocked to see this as it was on the Japanese iTunes at first and now it's on the US iTunes... PPTV app is now on the iTunes Music Store for free. This allows you to watch streaming the latest American and Chinese or Asian movies and TV on your iPad or iPhone. Language is in Chinese but just click on the photo of the film to access a movie (you can figure it out).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/pplive-corporation/id405667779

[quote name='bickle']Anyone know of a good program for organizing the desktop? Two features I'd like are the ability to group apps (such as 'Games', 'Utilities', etc), and the ability to sort apps. They seem like no-brainer functionalites, but i can't find an app for them.[/QUOTE]

I have asked this a few times and the general response is that there is sadly no app that lets you have a ton of games in specific folders, auto alphabetizes or does anything else to make apples horrid system more user friendly.

Well, aside from leaving your taking an icon and dragging it on top of the icon which then creates a fold, that is the only way for now.

It works but I tend to use the reset home layout and if you do that, it resets everything and you lose your folders.

[quote name='bickle']Anyone know of a good program for organizing the desktop? Two features I'd like are the ability to group apps (such as 'Games', 'Utilities', etc), and the ability to sort apps. They seem like no-brainer functionalites, but i can't find an app for them.[/QUOTE]

Edit: Requires Jailbreak

I actually find that the combination of FolderEnhancer + MultiIconMover from Cydia is the best way to organize your desktop. It won't automatically sort/group apps by type, but it makes it incredibly easy to do so yourself. Instead of the tiny folders that come with iOS, it gives each folder an entire homescreen, and allows for an infinite number of apps per folder. You can move as many apps around at a time as you'd like with one button press.

[quote name='kndy']At first I was shocked to see this as it was on the Japanese iTunes at first and now it's on the US iTunes... PPTV app is now on the iTunes Music Store for free. This allows you to watch streaming the latest American and Chinese or Asian movies and TV on your iPad or iPhone. Language is in Chinese but just click on the photo of the film to access a movie (you can figure it out).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/pplive-corporation/id405667779[/QUOTE]
Not to be dense, but are any of the programs subtitled? The Chinese language soundtrack is fine but I'd prefer some sort of translation if that's an option.

Speaking of freebies, another bullet-hell shooter goes FREE for the first time with Aerial Assault.
"In 2012, the doomsday with earthquake and tsunami which people used to imagine is not coming. In Nov. NASA announced they having been found the existent of another creatures in the outer space that could astonished the whole world. However, before the news haven't been published yet, a city was ruined by a group of the unknown enemy in one night. In the meantime, such similar happenings put on continuously around the world. Human kind are threatened by the invading of aliens army before the end of the world, a mess of UAV are mad as hell and assaulting all the countries of the world.
The survival of mankind is at stake, your mission is to destroy the alien enemies rushing towards you, get ready for some non-stop fighting and save the earth!"

[quote name='kndy']At first I was shocked to see this as it was on the Japanese iTunes at first and now it's on the US iTunes... PPTV app is now on the iTunes Music Store for free. This allows you to watch streaming the latest American and Chinese or Asian movies and TV on your iPad or iPhone. Language is in Chinese but just click on the photo of the film to access a movie (you can figure it out).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/pplive-corporation/id405667779[/QUOTE]

Looks like it's iPad only.

[quote name='E-Z-B']Is there a way to view all customer reviews for an app besides the three listed on the product page?[/QUOTE]
If there are more reviews available there will be located below the last review either page navigation (if in iTunes on your computer) or a "More V" button (if in the app store on your iDevice). The default is to only show reviews for the current version of the app, to view all reviews ever given you have to click the "All Versions" button above the first review.

Can anyone tell me if "Words with Friends" ever goes on sale? Its my new addicting game and want to buy the Paid Ad Free Version... Don't want to pay the 2.99 though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back