iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

Hipstamatic is tempting...but with Instagram providing most of the functionality for free...I can't bring myself to spend the $1, or $6 total for all the packs.

Zen Bound® 2 Universal just dropped to $.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/zen-bound-2-universal/id363308208?mt=8) for the first time. The sale lasts until Sunday.

"Zen Bound 2 is a meditative puzzle game of wrapping rope around wooden sculptures. It is a tactile game, with a focus on making rope, wood and stone look and feel real and believable. The dusty and soothing atmosphere is a combination of beautiful visuals and a unique down-tempo soundtrack.

All levels from the original Zen Bound are included, all with visual upgrades, some with new gameplay. New levels include the Tree of Tribute, featuring guest stars from independently developed iPhone games."

[quote name='seanr1221']How do you save Lego Harry Potter? I figured it auto-saved but it didn't.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played it yet but I was browsing toucharcade and someone there said it only saves between levels or going in and out of the shop. The developers seem to be listening to some of the complaints/additions people want though as it seems a virtual stick for movement and game center support is incoming.

[quote name='RollingSkull']100 Rogues remains glitchy and awkwardly balanced at times (The RNG has too much ability to screw you over, even for a roguelike!) but is still by MILES the best roguelike on the iphone.

Desktop Dungeons is good fun and an Iphone version should have been made by now. League of whatever already has my money.[/QUOTE]

My problem with 100 Rogues are the load times. It can take more than two minutes to load a level.

Give your wallet a break with a couple of current freebies:

Alienz
(http://itunes.apple.com/app/alienz/id383298199?mt=8#)
""How long can you survive?"

Your goal: save the planet Earth from the "cuteness" of the invading Alienz! Ward off cute Alienz that are out to destroy and invade our planet by unleashing different weapons from your disposal.

Alienz is an action-arcade game designed for casual and hardcore players alike. Play through hours of fun and excitement! Compete with your friends via Open Feint's Leaderboards or challenge yourself with a handful of game achievements. Alienz costs just a little more than a cheeseburger but will last you a lifetime of FREE updates, fun and excitement!"

Drums! (http://itunes.apple.com/app/drums/id311549739?mt=8)
"Drums! is a universal application that runs on all iOS devices (iOS 3.0 or higher) including the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. If you are lucky enough to own an iPhone and an iPad then Drums! will run on both devices with no extra cost charged for an iPad version. We give you that as standard.

This Drum App is packed with a wide-range of features that make the most of Apple’s latest devices, including support for the iPhone 4’s Retina Display and iOS 4.2.

In many ways Drums! now sets the benchmark in the Drum App category, delivering a fun interactive experience full of realism and genuine technological brilliance."

vParticle Plus has dropped to $.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/vparticle-plus/id360558230?mt=8)

"vParticle Plus is a labyrinth physics-based puzzle game! You are given control of a swarm of particles and are tasked with leading them to safety using the accelerometer!

Along the way your efforts will be hindered by many different traps and obstacles! (Moving Blocks, Touch Sensitive Blocks, Acid, Vents, Slow Elements...)"

Latest FAAD offerings:

OvenBreak – Infinity
(http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ovenbreak-infinity/id319378145?mt=8)
"A deliciously colorful and tricky game! Ginger Brave's mad dash for freedom has begun! How far can you take this gingerbread man?"

ElementZ
(http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/elementz/id337013874?mt=8)
"The concept is quite simple: you have to align at least 3 same color Orbs, gain bonus to make combos and win as many points as possible!

This version contains 3 game modes:
- Blitz: The classic 4 minutes mode
- Endurance: No given time. Be quick and efficient!
- Training: Train to make the biggest combo you can without time limitation."

Death Cop — Mechanical Unit is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/death-cop-mechanical-unit/id391351357?mt=8)
"On a planet at war, a new brigade of mechanical soldiers was created to fight the attacks from experimental and modified creatures commanded by the enemy forces. They are the last resort of a devastated civilization which struggles to avoid its own extinction. A brigade of giant destructors equipped with powerful weapons designed and devised for the purpose of annihilating the hordes of the enemy. Choose one of the three different Mechs depending on the type of mission and help win this war. Beginning by freeing the main communication facility at the capital city, the different missions will lead you through snow-capped mountains, an abandoned prison in the desert and more, up to the space. As your level rises up, you will be able to equip a higher number of armaments and your team will provide you with more powerful weapons."

Rhythm Racer 2 is the current OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/rhythm-racer-2/id373693698?mt=8)
"Rhythm Racer 2 for iPhone and iPod Touch is a must have for anyone who likes to ROCK and GO FAST! What's new? MORE MUSIC. MORE DYNAMIC GAMEPLAY. BIG NAME ARTISTS. STILL FREE.
Available Now in Rhythm Racer 2:
The All American Rejects, Boston, The Crystal Method, The Prodigy, Edgar Winter, Filter, and music from indie-fabulous artists Ordinary Peoples, Kill the Alarm, and King Atom. The game also comes with original music from the one and only Parry Gripp."

This new iPhone style on CAG is outstanding.

Btw, Need for Speed Shift just got a retina update and is still on sale for $1. Might have to jump on that.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/need-for-speed-shift/id337641298?mt=8

Kill Kill Monster Campaign has dropped to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/kill-kill-monster-campaign/id369547787?mt=8)

"There is a sea of stupid monsters marching towards you. They are absolutely brainless which only know how to run, explode and get themselves killed. Kill as much stupid monsters as you can and try your luck to stay alive!

Features:
* 15 insane levels (and more to come!!)
* Variety of stupid monsters
* Intuitive catapult control
* Bloody catapult experience
* 7 types of savage catapult
* Integrated with OpenFeint
* Play library music
* Humorous music and sound effects
* Auto save progress when you quit app or answer phone call"

[quote name='DtotheP']This new iPhone style on CAG is outstanding.[/QUOTE]

It's a mixed bag IMHO. I *really* dislike that I can no longer open a thread in a new tab by tap and hold on the link. Why in the world did they disable that? You also can't copy a link for the same reason. And no buttons/link to jump to the last/first page of a thread in one tap, not to mention the page jump buttons are now only at the bottom. And more stuff. Of course now we can quote messages and there are other improvements, but I'm not in love with it due to the above.

So I mentioned when it was on sale before, but I wanted to vouch for the puzzle game Shibuya on iPhone (on sale for 99 cents).
I saw a video clip of it a while back and added it on my wishlist for when it goes on sale. Now that I have it, I have to say I'm enjoying it as expected. It's a different kind of puzzler that's best explained in this youtube video. Think of the falling block aspect of tetris, but your only goal is to match colors (more complicated than it sounds).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvITLL7EbO8

My only complaint is the music gets old fast, but it does set the mood and it's a small gripe against an otherwise great game.

EDIT: price increased to 1.99. That was fast!

Check out the clip and if you think it interests you, here's the iTunes link:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shibuya/id327297971?mt=8

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they are going to have any cyber monday sales. I thought Black Friday itself was pretty dissapointing, though there were tons of sales wednesday and thursday.

Another freebie for your consideration:
W.I.P. — Spaceship Driving (http://itunes.apple.com/app/w-i-p-spaceship-driving/id385920680?mt=8#)
"SYNOPSIS
A giant meteor is going to destroy Mytral, an ancient planet populated by a high tech civilization. Drive the engineers by space buses and help them building a super rocket to escape from the planet before the inevitable impact. It's a countdown with no other ways: just your ability and the space buses at your disposal. Let's go: the Work is In Progress.

GAMEPLAY
Each level features numbered platforms and engineers waiting to be carried to the destinations. The player drives the buses by tapping on them and drawing their fligh paths. To take an engineer on board, simply land on the platform he is waiting on.

FEATURES
Space bus driving by touch screen!
Excellent graphic with stunning backgrounds!
Great soundtracks!
Story Mode Gameplay with 24 levels with increasing level difficulty to help the robots escaping from the planet.
Challenge Mode Gameplay with easy, medium and hard level to achieve your best scores."

[quote name='Cimpy101']So I mentioned when it was on sale before, but I wanted to vouch for the puzzle game Shibuya on iPhone (on sale for 99 cents).
I saw a video clip of it a while back and added it on my wishlist for when it goes on sale. Now that I have it, I have to say I'm enjoying it as expected. It's a different kind of puzzler that's best explained in this youtube video. Think of the falling block aspect of tetris, but your only goal is to match colors (more complicated than it sounds).

My only complaint is the music gets old fast, but it does set the mood and it's a small gripe against an otherwise great game.

EDIT: price increased to 1.99. That was fast!

Check out the clip and if you think it interests you, here's the iTunes link:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shibuya/id327297971?mt=8[/QUOTE]

It's a great game. You have to be quick, though. Quick on the hit, quick on the wit. I just bought it yesterday after I finally figured out how you played it (as I want to understand how a game plays before I buy it obviously). Hope lots of people got in before it went away. Awesome game.

Amateur Surgeon Christmas Edition is back on App Store and still free. It's somewhere halfway between AS1 and AS2 in quality. Oddly enough, the Iphone game and the flash game have some different dialogue here and there.

Mah Jong Quest is today's OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/mah-jong-quest/id356430396?mt=8)
"From the wildly popular and massively successful Mah Jong Quest series from iWin, experience the best and most immersive Mah Jong game you’ve ever played.
+ 72 Mah Jong Boards; Match-2, Match-3, and Match-4
+ Fantastic Power tiles to help you win!
+ Try Head-to-Head and test your skills against your friends
+ Freeplay Mah Jong with over 600 classic style boards
+ Exciting, interactive story where you make decisions that affect the outcome
+ Game Center and Open Feint integration for leader boards and achievements
+ iPod Media Player integration enables you to play music from your own iTunes library"

Great App a Day is featuring PushPixPull right now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/pushpixpull/id362456030?mt=8)
"PushPixPull is a brand new puzzle game featuring The Miracleworks' new mascot Pix! Combining unique gameplay ideas and brilliant visuals, PushPixPull is a new experience in puzzle games. Control Pix with the on-screen d-pad to push and pull blocks into position to solve puzzles which range from easy to brain-lancingly challenging across 8 amazing and stylized worlds! Ethereal and ambient music and sharp 3d graphics set the mood for an immersive puzzle experience like no other. Download today and puzzle your way to another world with PushPixPull!"

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']It's a great game. You have to be quick, though. Quick on the hit, quick on the wit. I just bought it yesterday after I finally figured out how you played it (as I want to understand how a game plays before I buy it obviously). Hope lots of people got in before it went away. Awesome game.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a huge fan of the game. I thought it was alright... but then I also got it for free when it dropped a few months ago. I tried reinstalling it again last night and playing it for about 10 minutes and found myself deleting it again.

Slightly OT... my phone doesn't backup properly. Also it often freezes during firmware updates. Awesome combo, huh? Anyone else have this problem. I like gaming on the phone but it's hard to take seriously when I lose all of my data every three months. I tried to do things Apple's way but itunes consistently screws up my phone. Time to jailbreak. I'm so shaq-fuing sick of my phone being rolled back to 6 months ago.

Oooh. I really enjoyed GTA:CW on the DS and was considering playing through it again on my iPhone. I think I'm going to have to bite on that. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='dubbfoolio']Slightly OT... my phone doesn't backup properly. Also it often freezes during firmware updates. Awesome combo, huh? Anyone else have this problem. I like gaming on the phone but it's hard to take seriously when I lose all of my data every three months. I tried to do things Apple's way but itunes consistently screws up my phone. Time to jailbreak. I'm so shaq-fuing sick of my phone being rolled back to 6 months ago.[/QUOTE]

I'd take it back to an Apple Store. I think you've got a hardware issue if you can't restore. Jailbreaking is great, but it's not going to fix broken hardware. And they'll give you a replacement on the spot if they have it in stock.

EDIT: wait - have you tried a restore? You should do that first. If that doesn't help, get it replaced.

Restoring is the problem. The backups are often corrupt and then I have to roll the phone back to many months ago, losing everything. This is an itunes problem I'm pretty sure, not a hardware problem. The phone works fine until itunes screws it up (froze on a firmware update this time). Unfortunately it went out of warranty last month, but I tried presenting some of the problems associated with my phone to the genius bar before and they weren't helpful. I'm so frustrated with Itunes. The PC version is completely broken.

So has anyone else played the Cut the Rope update yet? I find it AWESOME that they continue to innovate the game with a new mechanic (gravity button) when I honestly would be perfectly happy with more levels made with the existing tools.

I'm also glad to see that they didn't ease up on the difficulty. I found most of the original game to be really easy, and so it's refreshing to come back to a challenge. Can't wait for more!

They fixed the achievement bug for the cardboard box. That was the first thing I seen when I loaded up the game after the update. The new levels are much tougher than the old ones but I like that because the original levels were too easy.

[quote name='seanr1221']So you got the achievements then? Mine arent registering.[/QUOTE]

There was a bug on the achievement get 3 stars on all levels in the cardboard box, when I first loaded the game after the update it gave me that achievement, but oddly enough I don't have the achievement for completing the cardboard box.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']Restoring is the problem. The backups are often corrupt and then I have to roll the phone back to many months ago, losing everything. This is an itunes problem I'm pretty sure, not a hardware problem. The phone works fine until itunes screws it up (froze on a firmware update this time). Unfortunately it went out of warranty last month, but I tried presenting some of the problems associated with my phone to the genius bar before and they weren't helpful. I'm so frustrated with Itunes. The PC version is completely broken.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps uninstall iTunes and reinstall it? I don't know. I'm on a Mac and never had problems with iTunes. Well, not big ones.

[quote name='seanr1221']Yeah, I have a feeling I'll have to replay everything...[/QUOTE]

Does it use Gamecenter? I think Gamecenter is the one that's broken. I've got a number of GC games that don't seem to handle achievements right. Or maybe the devs don't know what they are doing yet. Again, I don't know. :)

This is late but Akai's SynthStation app has dropped from $10 to $2 for the time being. I've read mixed reviews on the app store but the reliable sources say it's pretty decent. Can't really go wrong at $2 though. Plus, it's universal.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/synthstation/id373969724?mt=8

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back