iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='crunchewy']Wow. Just wow. What is Apple thinking? They are pushing out a new TOS for Gamecenter which says that they will now be revealing your full name to friends, whether you want them to or not? Wow.

http://toucharcade.com/2010/11/29/a...er-tos-to-include-use-of-real-names/#comments[/QUOTE]
They tried to do the same thing to Warcraft until a massive amount of people complained. Maybe the same thing will happen here. I don't really consider it a huge deal because I don't use the Game Center friends so much, but I know people will hate this.

[quote name='seanr1221']Now everyone will know my name is Robert Paulson.[/QUOTE]

Well as long as people dont know my name is Andrew Carey I think I will be fine. :lol:

Two new "super" offerings from FAAD:
Super Fly
(http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-fly/id384294650?mt=8)
"You're a regular fly just minding your own business but endless waves of enemies want to eat you for lunch! Survive as long as you can!
You start out armed with only a simple stick with a nail in it. Collect coins to spend in the upgrade shop. Purchase more powerful weapons and gear to exact revenge on your enemies!
Super Fly is a game where you battle creatures and collect coins. Coins can be spent in the in-game store to upgrade and customize your character. There are a wide variety of items to buy and they all alter the gameplay in some way."

Superfall Pro
(http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/superfall-pro/id390395183?mt=8)
"Fun. Colorful, hilarious. Ragdoll Physics Game. Pick the basic doll (out of 30) and try to fall as deep as you can. Complete awards and unlock better dolls, each with unique skills. Your journey will take you though 3 beautiful worlds. The game involves you to tilt your iDevice to avoid various obstacles like rotary wheels, pistons, grinders, blackholes, vents, traps, bumpers, mines. Challenge friends and compare your results on global leaderboards. And You are the time master! Touch the screen to slow time! You'll love it!"

Saving Gaia
is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day title (http://itunes.apple.com/app/saving-gaia/id385512061?mt=8)
" This app, Saving Gaia, aims to educate the masses about climate change through interactive and engaging puzzle gaming. Although most people already have a fair bit of idea about climate change, it is still quite hard for any individual to put into practice the things that can improve the environment. Looking at an advertisement or billboard about saving the planet have very little influence on the minds of people unlike the mental involvement and level of awareness achieved when we play games. You will be surprised by the impact this game can bring through the subtle messages about recycling & energy conservation that pop up on the game console."

Also, new tracks and new characters await you in the latest update to Reckless Racing (http://itunes.apple.com/app/reckless-racing/id386234787?mt=8).
"GAME UPDATE AVAILABLE – Download now for the best Reckless Racing experience yet. In response to your feedback, improvements, additions, and optimizations include:
• 2 new race tracks: “The Island” (as seen on Reckless Racing for iPad) and “Frozen Lake”
• 2 new vehicles, “Boss” and “Granny” "

[quote name='jason506']They tried to do the same thing to Warcraft until a massive amount of people complained. Maybe the same thing will happen here. I don't really consider it a huge deal because I don't use the Game Center friends so much, but I know people will hate this.[/QUOTE]

WoW audience != Apple audience.

Apple fans are used to bending over and letting Steve Jobs do whatever to them. Multitasking not available? Who needs it? Not me! Multitasking now available? Only Apple could bring us something so awesome as this! App Variety? Everything you could ever want! Pr0nz? Bad, mm'kay? Have the option of Flash when the web is not all iPod-perfect? Don't need it! La la la!

Let's face it. For the Apple ecosystems, when Apple says something, there just aren't enough people paying attention to make Apple change course on much of anything. But especially so on gaming. Steve Jobs is famously unenthusiastic about the gaming market, even if he realized that the iPod Touch could be marketed around it.

The "hardcore" WoW fans are very technical and understand why this is a bad thing. These are the guys who have built their computer since the days when it was actually difficult and not a modern day lego set. Matching sets of parts being required, even though never outright stated by the manufacturers. The "hardcore" Apple fan is going to be one who remembers the days of RISC, MacOS (before OS X), of an Apple without Steve Jobs, and the "burden" of always being "so much faster" in Adobe Photoshop benchmarks. They might even remember having an Apple clone for five minutes.

But it is the casual market that rises and falls, making things work or not. The casual gamer that plays WoW is still a stone's throw away from the casual gamer that plays a "casual game" on their iPod Touch. A "casual" WoW fan is one who plays the game 1-2 hours a day, 5 days a week. A casual gamer in the iOS-cosystem is a gamer who buys a $.99 game every few months and plays it for a couple hours.

There is such a league of difference between what casual gamers from WoW and the casual gamers from the iOS market will take. And casuals dominate both markets.

Imo. Steve Jobs'll shrug. More importantly, I doubt most of these people who ARE paying attention but are willing to tolerate all of the consumer-unfriendly policies of Apple will be the people who refuse to use their real name. I suspect a lot of them are spamming Facebook walls and pokes, building up their friends list numbers by joining groups of random strangers who also want bigger numbers, between having their name sent out by Gamecenter requests.

Has anyone else had issues with some app asking you to authorize (leading to a authorization loop)/saying they aren't compatible with your device? ...I'm on an iPod Touch 4G. Some apps with this issue (only 6 out of hundreds) are Bit.Trip Beat and Pinball HD for iPhone. EDIT: And it says that the iPod is not compatible... not the iOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, shut up HisDivine. And don't forget to thank Steve Jobs for the consumer unfriendly move of pushing major music studios to drop DRM.

I told my gf about the GameCenter change.

Her response?

"So? I'm not friends with anyone I don't know."

I'm sure the majority of GC users will feel the same.

[quote name='seanr1221']I told my gf about the GameCenter change.

Her response?

"So? I'm not friends with anyone I don't know."

I'm sure the majority of GC users will feel the same.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a single GC "friend" that I actually know. I would like to, but I've only got a handful of family members/friends with iOS devices, and only one of them plays any kind of games, and the one I play with them doesn't (yet) support Game Center (Carcassonne).

Maybe I'll get use to the idea, but right now it's a bit of a shock. I guess they are going for the Facebook approach of having real names on display (at friend request/acceptance, at least), and I do use Facebook. Of course, on Facebook all of my friends are people I actually know.

Thanks for the heads up on the gameloft advent calendar. I'm already following them, but haven't been in the habit of checking twitter every day.

Just saw Slingplayer for ipad was released a few days ago. I've been waiting for it for a long time and just picked it up. 30 bucks is a hefty price to pay, but making the ipad a fully portable TV is pretty awesome- If you have a slingbox and are thinking about getting it, make sure you have the right one, its only compatible with the newer models, all the bad reviews are from people who bought it and don't have one of the right models.

[quote name='seanr1221']Everyone should follow Gameloft on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/gameloft

They'll be giving out free stuff everyday, just by clicking a link.

Details: http://blog.gameloft.com/index.php/2010/11/29/twitter-advent-calendar/[/QUOTE]
Zoinks. Time to dust-off Echofon and resume following. Thanks for the heads up on this. I hope it's easier to grab the freebies than it was the last time Gameloft decided to give stuff away. Some of those dead-of-night announcements were annoying (I know, I know. . .it was for people in other countries). Anyway, I won't complain about the presents (which start on December 1). Thanks again!

[quote name='Dimsdale']Zoinks. Time to dust-off Echofon and resume following. Thanks for the heads up on this. I hope it's easier to grab the freebies than it was the last time Gameloft decided to give stuff away. Some of those dead-of-night announcements were annoying (I know, I know. . .it was for people in other countries). Anyway, I won't complain about the presents (which start on December 1). Thanks again![/QUOTE]

The page about this deal says the deals are available for 24 hours from announcement, and there are no limits on number of downloads. So should be no problem at all this time. However, it's not just iOS, so not all days are necessarily going to have an iOS deal.

Here's one for the iPad crowd:
Fruit Ninja HD
is on sale for .99 for one day only...starting now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fruit-ninja-hd/id370066032?mt=8).
"Fruit Ninja is a juicy action game with squishy, splatty and satisfying fruit carnage! Become the ultimate bringer of sweet, tasty destruction with every slash.
Swipe up to EIGHT fingers across the screen to deliciously slash fruit like a true ninja warrior, taking in all of the crisp detailed effects which have been radically improved from the iPhone version. With two games modes in single player and worldwide leaderboards using Openfeint, the addictive gameplay will keep you coming back for even higher scores."

And while we're in slicing mode, here's one for the rest of us:
Paper Ninja has dropped to FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/paper-ninja/id381461732?mt=8).
"Paper Ninja is a fast and exciting game that requires players to make split second strategic decisions and execute quick combo attacks. It is designed so that players can feel the thrill of a sword-fight by using a finger. Just like sword fighting, it is easy to pickup but difficult to master.
Action packed with

* Power up with 5 Godly Skills! 

* Beautiful artwork and environment.
* Exciting challenges each with its own unique gameplay.
* 15 new Achievements (and more on the way) to collect and post on your Facebook and twitter!
* Lots of OpenFeint leadership boards to compete with your friends.
* Submit your score and compete with the rest of the world to be the best! 

* Optional kid - friendly setting (no bloodshed) available as requested by peace loving friends.
* Humourous storyline.

* 12 levels of difficulty in Dojo mode."

Am I the only one who doesn't "get" Fruit Ninja? It seems like it would be very boring. Its just slashing at fruit thats tossed on the screen right? Then again I'm not a big fan of the castle defense games where you are always flicking attackers away.

On that note I have to say I'm really enjoying Reckless Racing HD though. Its a real showcase game for the iPad (and I assume iPhone). If I had of known it was this much fun I would of bought it sooner (but hey at least I got it when it was $.99!).

[quote name='lilman']Driver is today's Gameloft Advent Calendar game:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/driver/id343583887?mt=8

Should be free for 24hrs.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, thanks for the heads up lilman. I am really hesitating on this one because of its size. It's pretty huge for an ok game and if I'm just going to delete it after 5 minutes, might as well not waste the time dl'ing and installing. :razz: decisions decisions...

Awesome! I'm gonna pick up Driver and Time Geeks when I get to some WiFi. Driver is a pretty big file. If it sucks, I'll delete it, but for free, it's defintiely worth a download.

Thanks for the advent calendar heads up! But it turns out I must have picked this up for free at some time in the past. Says I already purchased it. I know I didn't pay for it. Anyway, I should give the game a try. I probably downloaded it for free and then deleted it due to space without having tried it, because I sure don't remember doing that. :)

Also, not a game, but I'm really liking Delivery Status touch. Great for tracking packages from pretty much any carrier, including Amazon's tracking, with notifications on changes, such as delivery or problems. This may be more useful for Mac users where it syncs with the (free) Dashboard app, which makes it especially nice, but it's still very nice standalone. It's been on sale for $2.99 for a little bit, not sure how much longer:

http://appshopper.com/utilities/delivery-status-touch

Also grabbing Time Geeks. Thanks for the heads up on that too!

[quote name='crunchewy']Thanks for the advent calendar heads up! But it turns out I must have picked this up for free at some time in the past. Says I already purchased it. I know I didn't pay for it. Anyway, I should give the game a try. I probably downloaded it for free and then deleted it due to space without having tried it, because I sure don't remember doing that. :)

Also, not a game, but I'm really liking Delivery Status touch. Great for tracking packages from pretty much any carrier, including Amazon's tracking, with notifications on changes, such as delivery or problems. This may be more useful for Mac users where it syncs with the (free) Dashboard app, which makes it especially nice, but it's still very nice standalone. It's been on sale for $2.99 for a little bit, not sure how much longer:

http://appshopper.com/utilities/delivery-status-touch

Also grabbing Time Geeks. Thanks for the heads up on that too![/QUOTE]

That's strange, according to appshopper, Driver has never been free until today. Maybe you double clicked on the free button? That would prompt itunes to say you already purchased it and to check your downloads. So I've played 5 minutes and now my iphone is 500+ megs free again. =P That's right folks, remember that the actual installed size of an app is bigger than it's app store summary size.

I figure I might as well throw this out there but do you guys know of any apps to check textbook buy/sell prices on Amazon/eBay/Half?

Also, are there are good free productivity apps (like spreadsheets, documents, etc.).

There was a post on the Carcassonne Twitter feed today that the universal update should be out soon. For those of you on the fence, the price is supposed to go to from $5 to $10 when that happens.

Speaking of which, I haven't played a game in a while. You down for one, crunc?

The official Soundcloud app is currently free, not sure for how long.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soundcloud/id336353151?mt=8

While you're at it, maybe you'll follow THORNZ? He's awesome and I'm not only saying that because he's me.

Time Geeks has awesome retro style and is fun. Glad to have picked that up. So far Driver seems decent too. Sort of like GTA albeit without the shooting and walking. Fun in any case.

Thrak - I sent you a Carcassonne game invite.

A Skeleton Story. . .The Game is currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/a-skeleton-story-the-game/id383377228?mt=8)

"The famous comic book "A Skeleton Story ..." has finally come to the AppStore! With its pleasant graphics already known to the fans of this comic book and its simple game-play, it will keep you stuck to play for hours! The game soundtrack will soon carry you in an enchanted, yet intriguing atmosphere, where you can challenge your friends thanks to the online ranking chart, or you can beat your record so to unlock various extra components in the game. 

Catch the kitten while jumping over the various buildings (Warning: Some are unsafe!) trying not to get killed by the enemies you meet on your way! Try to catch it as quickly as possible, collect many coins and boxes for further bonus, and surpass yourself! But be careful! If you hesitate too much, the kitten will run away and throw you off the scent not to be back again, so be quick and catch it!

There's an infinite number of levels; it's all up to you and your skills! Once you got the kitten, have a rest at Henry's pub, where you can improve and upgrade your skills including: running, jumping, human time, ammo and so on! During the game you will find the Sprint bonus. Just take it, and you’ll be three times faster when running and shooting!"

[quote name='jjz203']That's strange, according to appshopper, Driver has never been free until today. Maybe you double clicked on the free button? That would prompt itunes to say you already purchased it and to check your downloads. So I've played 5 minutes and now my iphone is 500+ megs free again. =P That's right folks, remember that the actual installed size of an app is bigger than it's app store summary size.[/QUOTE]
I dunno, I'm in the same boat as Crunc. I already have Driver installed on my iTouch, but I know I didn't pay for it. Maybe Gameloft gave it away during their last freebie promotional (when it was free for all of about 12 minutes). Anyway, I went ahead and (re)downloaded it onto my iPhone. I'll give it a spin after lunch (heh). . .

[quote name='Dimsdale']I dunno, I'm in the same boat as Crunc. I already have Driver installed on my iTouch, but I know I didn't pay for it. Maybe Gameloft gave it away during their last freebie promotional (when it was free for all of about 12 minutes). Anyway, I went ahead and (re)downloaded it onto my iPhone. I'll give it a spin after lunch (heh). . .[/QUOTE]
It doesn't appear as if it's been free before: http://appshopper.com/games/driver

Guy need some assistance! Recently I've been trying to dl some apps straight from iPod touh through appshopper app. Anyhow after inputting my pass, the app seems to start to process to dl but all I get is a grey icon that says "waiting" and never Downloads!! I have like 4 apps like this already. What does this mean and how can I force them to download?? I'm always connected via wifi at home and as I type this on my device, the apps are still not initiating the dl process.

Angry Birds Halloween has been updated to Seasons, I don't know if they told this or not but it only unlocks one level per day until Christmas. That sucks I was all ready to play more angry birds then I see there is only one level to play :(

[quote name='jason506']Angry Birds Halloween has been updated to Seasons, I don't know if they told this or not but it only unlocks one level per day until Christmas. That sucks I was all ready to play more angry birds then I see there is only one level to play :([/QUOTE]

I'll just wait until they're all unlocked and then play if that's the case. I'm still blitz'ing my way through Trucks & Skulls atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back