iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

In for Diner Dash! Also, though not a deal and not a game, I thought it worth mentioning that Skype now supports video chat, including over 3G. Finally! Quality isn't great on the computer side, but it works. We had a lengthy video chat with my brother last night.

[quote name='Thrakker']On another note, with all these Big Fish hidden objects games that are on sale until tomorrow for $1.99 phone/$4.99 pad, are any of them good. Or more appropriately, which one(s) are considered the best. I'm not sure I'd like them, but the themes of some of the games are pretty intriguing[/QUOTE]

My SO loves hidden object games -used to play a lot of the Big Fish ones on the desktop before realizing the joys of ipad- and she's been happy with some of the non Big Fish ones that were free a few days ago (Cassandra's Journey etc). Hasn't played the Big Fish ones on ipad yet, so don't know how well they translate to a tablet versus a mouse/PC. But the games themselves, at least the major ones (Hidden Expedition, Treasure Seekers, Mystery Case Files), are all pretty high quality with a fair amount of variety to keep you from getting bored. At least the PC versions are, again I don't know how well they make the transition to the new medium...

[quote name='Thrakker']On another note, with all these Big Fish hidden objects games that are on sale until tomorrow for $1.99 phone/$4.99 pad, are any of them good. Or more appropriately, which one(s) are considered the best. I'm not sure I'd like them, but the themes of some of the games are pretty intriguing[/QUOTE]

I really like the San Francisco one and the Expedition Everest one. "Drawn" is also amazing (ranked in the top 7 best in 2010 iPad games on IGN).

Tower Bloxx Deluxe 3D is 99 cents. It's not a new deal but I haven't seen it posted and it ends in a couple days, also has anyone played either of the Silent Hunter apps? I used to play it on pc as a kid and thinking about getting it.

So much talk about Game Dev Story -_- still haven't bought it and probably won't

Anyways back on topic, Shadow Guardian and Eternal Legacy on sale, $1 off...I forget the price maybe 6.99?

Here's what I have so far for the Twitter feed. I made two, one that follows iOS developers, one that follows all of the iOS review & sales twitter feeds. This way the developer feed will be strictly from the mouth of the developer. I might still split up the review and sales into two separate feeds. The only one I've populated so far is the developers feed. Work in progress. See it here.

Those of you unfamiliar with Twitter lists, they are used to compile multiple Twitter feeds into one. At least that's my understanding, I'm a bit new to this myself. In the end it should be much easier to find what you are looking for, and get updates when you want them, without it all getting shoveled to you in the same feed as your Twitter friends posts.

Had an awesome surprise this morning. I never knew that one of my favorite board/card games, BANG!, was on iPhone. It's on sale for .99 too!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bang-the-official-video-game/id406634232?mt=8

It's a card game meant for 4+ players. Each player is randomly assigned role. Either a Sheriff (to win, he must kill all the outlaws and renegades), Deputy (to win, he must protect the Sheriff ad kill everyone else), the Outlaw (to win, he must kill the sheriff), or the Renegade (to win, he must kill everyone else before killing the sheriff). You also have Character cards which give you unique abilities.

The twist is you don't know who is what role except for the sheriff (who wears a badge). So there's the possibility that the Sherrif kills his Deputy by accident (and there are penalties if you do so).

I'll play the iPhone game later and let you know how it is, but it looks pretty good. There's single player and multiplayer so it sounds like a good value considering I paid $40 for the real game (+ expansion)

Update: So I checked out the tutorial and it serves as a good job to teach you how to play. My biggest complaint with it right now is the speed of the game. It can be quite off putting if you don't know what a card played was. An AI can play it's hand in seconds. Looks like the Expansions will come with future updates. Don't buy this expecting to know everything right off that bat. There is a learning curve. Fans of the game should enjoy it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cimpy101']Had an awesome surprise this morning. I never knew that one of my favorite board/card games, BANG!, was on iPhone. It's on sale for .99 too!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bang-the-official-video-game/id406634232?mt=8

It's a card game meant for 4+ players. Each player is randomly assigned role. Either a Sheriff (to win, he must kill all the outlaws and renegades), Deputy (to win, he must protect the Sheriff ad kill everyone else), the Outlaw (to win, he must kill the sheriff), or the Renegade (to win, he must kill everyone else before killing the sheriff). You also have Character cards which give you unique abilities.

The twist is you don't know who is what role except for the sheriff (who wears a badge). So there's the possibility that the Sherrif kills his Deputy by accident (and there are penalties if you do so).

I'll play the iPhone game later and let you know how it is, but it looks pretty good. There's single player and multiplayer so it sounds like a good value considering I paid $40 for the real game (+ expansion)[/QUOTE]

According to the reviews, there is a lot still missing from the game, but hopefully that will be fixed with updates. My curiousity got the better of me, and I went ahead and bought it, but probably won't get to play any time soon (I've never played the card game version, btw).

Is anyone having luck playing Draw Race online? It keeps saying there's a network error, invalid line numeral from server (when you look in the setup screen it says what the last network error was), whatever that is.

For some reason Bang! requires 4.2 so I couldn't buy/install it.

[quote name='DtotheP']Street Fighters Bubble just dropped to free. I've had this on my watch list for a while. I had a feeling it was going to go to free...

App store[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this! Ive never even heard of it but I love anything to do with street fighter even if its not officially licensed hah!

Not a game, but a potentially useful app if you work with PMS colors:
Color Expert has never been on sale before. For some reason, however, this $10 app is now available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/color-expert/id292243338?mt=8#). As a professional designer, this actually looks really useful.

"Includes licensed data of your favorite color libraries, many with CMYK info:
PANTONE® solid coated, PANTONE® solid uncoated, PANTONE® Goe™ coated, PANTONE® Goe™ uncoated, PANTONE® f + h cotton and PANTONE® f + h paper.

We built Color Expert from the ground up with the creative spirit in mind. Designers of all types, regardless of their medium, have a common thread—and that common thread is color. We use it to be loud, quiet, bold, subtle, soothing, frenzied and sometimes just to stand out. But working with color can be difficult away from the studio."

Get a head start on that New Year's resolution you're going to break with CalorieMinder (http://itunes.apple.com/app/calorieminder-calorie-nutrition/id302882699?mt=8#), currently available for FREE.

"Recent research shows that dieters who record the food that they eat lose twice as much weight. CalorieMinder makes it easy to for you to record your daily food and exercise using your iPhone with no monthly fees.

The user interface has been carefully designed to minimize typing, and is intensely user tested. You can enter each meal in seconds.

The database has over 7000 foods and 32 kinds of exercise. You can add your own custom foods and exercises. You can also add complete meals that you can then access with just two taps."

Woo! Emailed itunes support yesterday asking them if I could get a refund because I bought Diner Dash for $2.99 and then it went free and they gave it to me!

[quote name='Dimsdale']Not a game, but a potentially useful app if you work with PMS colors:
Color Expert has never been on sale before. For some reason, however, this $10 app is now available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/color-expert/id292243338?mt=8#). As a professional designer, this actually looks really useful.

PANTONE® solid coated, PANTONE® solid uncoated, PANTONE® Goe™ coated, PANTONE® Goe™ uncoated, PANTONE® f + h cotton and PANTONE® f + h paper.

We built Color Expert from the ground up with the creative spirit in mind. Designers of all types, regardless of their medium, have a common thread—and that common thread is color. We use it to be loud, quiet, bold, subtle, soothing, frenzied and sometimes just to stand out. But working with color can be difficult away from the studio."[/QUOTE]

Nice find! If only the Pantone app would finally go on sale, though I heard it's super unreliable due to the inconsistent color display across iPhone screens.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Not a game, but a potentially useful app if you work with PMS colors:

We built Color Expert from the ground up with the creative spirit in mind. Designers of all types, regardless of their medium, have a common thread—and that common thread is color. We use it to be loud, quiet, bold, subtle, soothing, frenzied and sometimes just to stand out. But working with color can be difficult away from the studio."[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this -- my wife is a graphic designer and might actually like this! She bought the Pantone app too, but I can't really vouch for what benefits/differences would be.

Also, I don't know if anyone explicitly mentioned it, but the iPad "HD" version of Broken Sword 1 Director's Cut is also free today! I grabbed both. I played the DS version when it came out and really enjoyed it; I'm assuming they both went free to drum up support for the remastered version of Broken Sword 2, which is on the App Store now for $6.99. The first is definitely worth your time to download; a great classic adventure point-and-click.

New FAAD offerings include the puzzler Splat It! (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/splat-it/id410388332?mt=8).
"Splat It! is a puzzle solving game that brings you hours of fun. Along with your puzzle solving skills it will also challenge your reaction times.
It starts with simple levels and slowly builds up to quite tricky levels. The levels are designed such that it keeps you entertained throughout by introducing new balls with unique abilities, helpful items and devious obstacles.
Splat It! has an exciting scoring system which will bring out the perfectionist in you when you try to achieve gold, silver or bronze medals for each level."

Another puzzler, Fuzzle, is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fuzzle/id289962221?mt=8).
"Fuzzle is the top-selling, dangerously addictive puzzle game. Both simple to learn, yet challenging to master!
Move the balls around the board to create lines of five balls of the same color, thus removing the balls. After every other move you make, more balls are added. The goal is to keep the board from filling up as long as possible."

[quote name='realkilla789']Woo! Emailed itunes support yesterday asking them if I could get a refund because I bought Diner Dash for $2.99 and then it went free and they gave it to me![/QUOTE]

When was it free? Its $2.99 now.

[quote name='Thrakker']I'm surprised it's been in the store for as long as it has, or that it got approved at all. Pretty blatant infringing of Capcom's IP.[/QUOTE]

yeah no kidding, and its pretty much full of suck. I was kind of excited because i love all things street fighter, but its a horrible HORRIBLE game. Its pretty damn buggy too. It would quit on me when i chose other characters. However the names were pretty funny and retarded... :chunchun, kent, ray, etc.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Solipskier (http://itunes.apple.com/app/solipskier/id383281764?mt=8). I think today is the last day of the .99 sale with a portion going to support Child's Play Charity, so it's an easy recommendation as a blind buy for a buck.
"Solipskier is a fast paced skiing game where you draw the slopes to pick up speed and do jumps. Paint your own cliffs, do tricks and slalom through gates to get huge scores!
Supports iOS4 Retina Display and iPad resolutions."

If you're looking for a multi-app freebie, the All-in-1 Logic GameBox has dropped back down to FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/all-in-1-logic-gamebox/id347310316?mt=8).
"Wanna have 7 incredibly fun games absolutely for free?
This is the case with All-in-1 Logic GameBox which includes SEVEN TOP-QUALITY puzzle games with more than 1,000 levels of complexity! New updates with new amazing games!
Are you looking for another way to challenge your mind, or at least kill some time?
All-in-1 Logic GameBox is a depository of goodies: more than 1,000 levels of complexity, 7 awesome logic games, new games with updates, in-game achievements that you can share via Twitter or Facebook!"

Anybody know that one game where your some stick figure running in directions to avoid the big circles and stuff so you don't get crushed...lol i can't think of the name, played it on someone elses itouch.

Anyways, what other good games and apps should i get?

(Got an itouch for christmas)

Think I'm done with this game

rSLOS.jpg

Joe Cable is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/joe-cable/id387848024?mt=8#), available in regular and HD versions (both free for a limited time).
"Meet “Joe Cable”; a clumsy power line technician... Not only is Joe afraid of heights, he also finds himself dangling on a power line every now and then when his ladder slips away on an average day of work! Quickly being able to grab and wrap his belt around one of the power cords he notices the danger has only just begun when he starts sliding and making some actual speed!"

Blitz Blok
is the current Free App Calendar featured game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id306375896?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4).
"The goal of the game is to pop the Bloks falling from the top of the screen before they reach be bottom by tapping on them. The game will get increasingly difficult as more Bloks are popped in the form of higher drop rates, more types of Bloks dropping, and other surprises! There are different game modes available to keep players on the edge."

This one looks to be geared more toward women, but it may be useful for anyone starting (or re-starting) a new workout program:
Exercise by MDWorkout.com is FREE until January 15 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/exercise-by-mdworkout-com/id409945436?mt=8).
"Exercise by MDWorkout.com features MD and certified yoga instructors demonstrating exercises through written instructions, high resolution photos and video demonstrations of over 80 exercises!
Features:
Extensive library of exercises
Exercises performed by Medical Doctors and Certified Trainers
All key training areas covered
High Resolution Photos
High Resolution Video
Ability to chart workouts
Ability to chart measurements
Ability to chart weekly nutritional intake
Ability to link to MDWorkout.com for news and updates"

If you're into the B-Boy scene, you may enjoy the currently-FREE Red Bull BC One Game (http://itunes.apple.com/app/red-bull-bc-one-game/id403710178?mt=8).
"Do you have what it takes to be a star in the B-Boy scene? You’ll need skills, rhythm and creativity in your moves to become number 1 in this authentic dance game for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad!

Battle against the best of the best, throw down the coolest moves and win the respect of the crowd. Forget about gravity, let your body pulsate to the beat and take the lead with motion-captured moves from Roxrite, Lilou, Cico, Hong 10, Taisuke, Pelezino and Ronnie. Make the most spectacular moves using the special drag & hold feature on four rhythm channels and take it to the limit!"

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Malik112099']Think I'm done with this game

rSLOS.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Would you believe me if I said that last night when I was trying to sleep, several times I kept wondering what kind of game I'd create?

As in I'm the owner and I saw all games options thru my eyes... Because of that it took a while for me to sleep.

Thanks for the heads up on Death Worm. Downloaded it.

I wish I'd bought Game Dev Story when it was on sale. I was slow to trying the demo, and I ended up liking the demo then finding out that the full game wasn't on sale any more. I guess I'll wait for the next 99 cent sale....

I was planning to buy the Apple AV out cable for $50 bucks, but before I do, has anybody been stream the Justin TV app to their TV. The only reason I ask is because I have heard some apps get "locked out"...

Thanks for the help and sorry for the noobish question.

P.S. If anybody knows where to get a cheaper cable, please share!

[quote name='dubbfoolio']so game dev story.... does it have an ending? Cause I want my life back.[/QUOTE]

After 20 years a message comes up saying that it ended, but yhat you can keep playing that save. Or, start a new level but keep the genres levels from the previous.

[quote name='sandaz93']I was planning to buy the Apple AV out cable for $50 bucks, but before I do, has anybody been stream the Justin TV app to their TV. The only reason I ask is because I have heard some apps get "locked out"...

Thanks for the help and sorry for the noobish question.

P.S. If anybody knows where to get a cheaper cable, please share![/QUOTE]

My understanding is it's not that apps get "locked out" they just need to develop specifically to allow video out. It is pretty safe to assume that if video out is not mentioned in the description, it is not currently supported.

As for third party video cables, they seem to be a mixed bag. There are some cheaper cables, but none that are universally praised. If you do choose to go for something cheaper, be sure to take a look at the reviews carefully as some of the cables will work for some things, but not others (i.e. they might play video fine, but not work with video out on the Netflix app).
I hate to say that you should buy a premium cable, but this might be one of the few cases where this would be a good idea just to guarantee as much compatibility as possible.

first, a YMMV deal: I just got a postcard from my Bank of America Mastercard that i will get an automatic 50% rebate on all itunes purchases during the month of January up to a $25 rebate if i spend at least $10. So, to translate, basically 50% off purchases during january up to $50 as long as i spend at least $10.

Anyway, why i'm here: I'm hoping for some recommendations. I don't have many Ipad games. only want to spend $15 or so right now... but a lot of the games i'd really like to get (plants vs zombies, carcassonne, osmos, maybe drawn, etc) simply feel too expensive.

Can anyone recommend a bunch of $2-$3 range great ipad games for me? (note -- ipad, not iphone). do any exist? or should i just bit the bullet and only get a couple more expensive ones?

i only recently got the ipad and i've never owned an iphone so most of these games are new to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back