iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

I know the Spider Man Total Mayhem game is .99 cents for the ipad version. Not really familiar with any other ipad deals since I don't own one. There are quite a few universal apps(optimized for both iphone/touch and the ipad) that should still be fairly cheap. check appshopper for price drops and then check the reviews on the app store.

yea, i've spent like 2 hours scrounging around with no real results, was hoping maybe some of you would be like 'definitely buy x,y,z you can't go wrong'.

[quote name='affa']yea, i've spent like 2 hours scrounging around with no real results, was hoping maybe some of you would be like 'definitely buy x,y,z you can't go wrong'.[/QUOTE]

You cannot go wrong with plants vs. zombies. Yes pricey, but worth it. Otherwise, get the appshopper app. Search for anything with HD or for ipad in the title and read reviews, then get notified when there is a price drop. You unfortunately just missed the EA 99 cent sale. I missed the free Broken Sword HD yesterday. Flight Control is a lot of fun. And Angry Birds. Those are the only three I have paid more than 99 cents for. All worth it. Spiderman is worth 99 cents.

[quote name='Winky65']You cannot go wrong with plants vs. zombies. Yes pricey, but worth it. Otherwise, get the appshopper app. Search for anything with HD or for ipad in the title and read reviews, then get notified when there is a price drop. You unfortunately just missed the EA 99 cent sale. I missed the free Broken Sword HD yesterday. Flight Control is a lot of fun. And Angry Birds. Those are the only three I have paid more than 99 cents for. All worth it. Spiderman is worth 99 cents.[/QUOTE]

appshopper is awesome. Also, I created a home icon for this thread on my touch. :)

Off the topic question. I have a 2nd gen Touch and I'm really dissapointed with the battery life. Games I enjoy playing suck it down like a lush. Is the battery life improved any in the 4th gen at all?

I own a 4th gen touch and I'm not happy about the battery life to be honest. Infinity Blade, the cave games, and Galaxy on Fire 2 all burn through my charge pretty fast.

None of the iPod Touch models that use their graphics chips heavily have good battery life. Turning down the brightness helps. I find that turning off auto brightness, location services, and push helps. Also make sure nothing else is running except the game you are playing.

Otherwise if you don't mind spending a bit, I tether my Touch to my ZaggSparq while I play long gaming sessions. The Sparq holds 4 full charges and I can let the device run off the Sparq while I play it. At any time you can press a button on the Sparq and see how many charges you have left. Yes it's $100, but I bought mine for $50 during the last few Zagg sales. They are likely to be on sale again.

I figure in a decade we will all look back on this and laugh because battery life will have improved so much in comparison to all devices of today. That's the one area where innovation is seriously dead: mobile battery life. Sure the MacBook series gets up to 9 hours, but it's also big enough to fit large flat cells inside.

A few good games that are still on sale for $.99 and are probably going back up soon: Geometry Wars Touch, Pool Pro Online 3, Pinball HD, Slingo Supreme HD, Voltron, Jenga, The Price is Right games, Family Feud, UNO, and Trivial Pursuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fatality']I never new that they was a Geometry Wars game for iPhone
Is it any good.[/QUOTE]

No...i bought it:cry:. Controls are really meh...

[quote name='Fatality']I never new that they was a Geometry Wars game for iPhone
Is it any good.[/QUOTE]

I like it but play on iPad.

Is it any good.[/QUOTE]

it's not bad on ipad. it's practically unplayable on iphone though.

The holiday-themed Word Solitaire: Holiday is FREE for a very limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-solitaire-holiday/id405505395?mt=8#).

"In this special puzzle edition of Word Solitaire, you must complete a level by using all of the provided letters AND correctly spelling a pre-defined holiday word such as Eggnog, Snowflake, and Ornaments.

25 levels of increasing difficulty are included. You may find "ELVES" easy to spell on Level 1 but by the time you get to "TINSELED TRADITION" you better be up for a challenge! Each level features a musical theme and special twist. Word Solitaire: Holiday is set on top of a winter wonderland.

Acclaimed by critics and users alike for its unique gameplay, the 4.5-star original Word Solitaire has consistently ranked amongst the most popular word games on the App Store for the last couple of years."

[quote name='Stimes']A few good games that are still on sale for $.99 and are probably going back up soon: Geometry Wars Touch, Pool Pro Online 3, Pinball HD, Slingo Supreme HD, Voltron, Jenga, The Price is Right games, Family Feud, UNO, and Trivial Pursuit.[/QUOTE]

Nice

Anyone know if Pinball HD is any good? I have Last Gladiators when it was free a while back and been looking for a new pinball game to play.

[quote name='affa']...

Anyway, why i'm here: I'm hoping for some recommendations. I don't have many Ipad games. only want to spend $15 or so right now... but a lot of the games i'd really like to get (plants vs zombies, carcassonne, osmos, maybe drawn, etc) simply feel too expensive.

Can anyone recommend a bunch of $2-$3 range great ipad games for me? (note -- ipad, not iphone). do any exist? or should i just bit the bullet and only get a couple more expensive ones?

....[/QUOTE]

So I got an iPad a few months back and have found that I really only play a handful of games versus my iPod touch. Here are my must-haves:

Infinity Blade - visually stunning and perhaps the most fun I've had slashing on an i-device ever. It's "expensive" by iPod/iPad standards but worth every penny.

Plants vs. Zombies - I think enough has been written about this game. On iPad, this was my fourth time buying this game for yet another platform. :)

Angry Birds HD Seasons - I got this when it was just the Halloween version and was 99 cents, I think. It has become the seasonal game and the Christmas update literally doubled the size of the game.

Rage HD - Another more expensive game I grabbed on sale. It's a really good FPS on rails.

Age of Zombies - An universal app, I think. Also purchased on sale. If you like dual stick shooters with semi-juvenile humor and lots of cute zombies being splattered, then you'll like this.

Finally, I have several other 99 cent purchases I come back to time to time: Stick Golf HD, Ultimate Hangman, and the aforementioned Spider-man Total Mayhem HD.

Basically, I got lucky watching the sales posted here by our dedicated members and paid full price for things I knew I had to have (PvZ and Infinity Blade).

is there any apps that prevent from automatically leaving the appstore everytime i purchase something. clicking the appstore and getting boot back to the spring is really annoying especially if youre making multple purchases

[quote name='TheRock88']Nice

Anyone know if Pinball HD is any good? I have Last Gladiators when it was free a while back and been looking for a new pinball game to play.[/QUOTE]

Yes it's good. Slayer Pinball is now on my wish list because of this game.

[quote name='TheRock88']Nice

Anyone know if Pinball HD is any good? I have Last Gladiators when it was free a while back and been looking for a new pinball game to play.[/QUOTE]

It is very good. Looks fantastic and plays fantastic. I would reccomend it immediately for $1 or even the $2 regular price if you like Pinball.

[quote name='Dimsdale']The holiday-themed Word Solitaire: Holiday is FREE for a very limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-solitaire-holiday/id405505395?mt=8#).

"In this special puzzle edition of Word Solitaire, you must complete a level by using all of the provided letters AND correctly spelling a pre-defined holiday word such as Eggnog, Snowflake, and Ornaments.

25 levels of increasing difficulty are included. You may find "ELVES" easy to spell on Level 1 but by the time you get to "TINSELED TRADITION" you better be up for a challenge! Each level features a musical theme and special twist. Word Solitaire: Holiday is set on top of a winter wonderland.

Acclaimed by critics and users alike for its unique gameplay, the 4.5-star original Word Solitaire has consistently ranked amongst the most popular word games on the App Store for the last couple of years."[/QUOTE]

Thanks, didn't actually get this one, but noticed Word Solitaire HD for the iPad was free.

[quote name='mrsamsa']Mirror's Edge is currently free in certain markets, not US or Canada. Looks like Australia, Netherlands and Mexico are confirmed as free.

http://toucharcade.com/2011/01/03/mirrors-edge-for-free/[/QUOTE]

How about Japan? I set up a Japanese app store account. Tonight I'll see if it's free for iPad. I already have it for my iPhone and I don't have an iPad, but eventually I'm going to get one, and I wouldn't mind having this game for it. It was fun on the iPhone.

[quote name='autobot']is there any apps that prevent from automatically leaving the appstore everytime i purchase something. clicking the appstore and getting boot back to the spring is really annoying especially if youre making multple purchases[/QUOTE]

There's a jailbreak hack that does this (rather, that makes it not do this), but I haven't tried it, so not a recommendation.

[quote name='crunchewy']How about Japan? I set up a Japanese app store account. Tonight I'll see if it's free for iPad. I already have it for my iPhone and I don't have an iPad, but eventually I'm going to get one, and I wouldn't mind having this game for it. It was fun on the iPhone.

There's a jailbreak hack that does this (rather, that makes it not do this), but I haven't tried it, so not a recommendation.[/QUOTE]

do you know the name of it?

Is it any good.[/QUOTE]
I think there's a demo. Controls are pretty bad. I would highly recommend Tilt to Live as a better alternative. It's basically Pacifism mode from the 2nd game with power ups to eliminate the enemies. Perfect controls and fun gameplay!

Got to play BANG! a little more recently. It's not bad, but holy crap they left a lot on the table to be updated. Feels more like a beta considering every option I try to turn on says "coming in a future FREE update!".

Basic game isn't bad, but if you haven't played the game IRL or learned all the cards you'll be lost due to it's speed. If you're like me and like the real game, it's worth the price of entry.

Hey guys I need some suggestions. I'm looking for some good .99 and 2.99 games. I'm looking at pocket god right now. Any good? Other suggestions. (I have some of the obvious like pvz, cut the rope, angry birds)

[quote name='realkilla789']Hey guys I need some suggestions. I'm looking for some good .99 and 2.99 games. I'm looking at pocket god right now. Any good? Other suggestions. (I have some of the obvious like pvz, cut the rope, angry birds)[/QUOTE]

Angry Birds has tied me up for weeks.

[quote name='autobot']is there any apps that prevent from automatically leaving the appstore everytime i purchase something. clicking the appstore and getting boot back to the spring is really annoying especially if youre making multple purchases[/QUOTE]

the app store feels like it was designed in 1980 before computers existed.

seriously, if there was ever a deterrent to buying games, that store is it. terrible searching, no cart, no wishlist, drops you out if you actually buy something, ridiculous navigation, barely usable 'lists' that are never quite what you actually want... my god, i bitch about the store every single time i use it.

and to think they make SO much money with it. if only they actually, you know, designed it well.

ps -- thanks for the tips guys, i picked up

plants vs zombies
spiderman
rage
pool pro online 3
voltron
trivial pursuit

and got a year sub to the NYT crosswords while i was at it. can't beat that credit card deal i mentioned.

I just wanted to say to everyone that has been talking up and praising Game Dev Story, F you. Everyone just had to keep talking about it, so when I saw that the price dropped in the Android market, I decided to give it a shot. I started playing so much that I was wearing the battery on my phone down really fast. Because of that, I HAD to buy it for my Touch as well. Now I own two copies to make sure that I am able to play it all day long. I'm freaking hooked and it's everyone heres fault. Thank you all.

That said, is there any real importance to Mister X or the king? The articles make them sound like they might have a purpose, but both are just average. Also, what do I have to do to get the character that will allow me to design my own console? They never show up when I send out job hunting feelers and I'm just wasting money cause of it.

[quote name='affa']the app store feels like it was designed in 1980 before computers existed.

seriously, if there was ever a deterrent to buying games, that store is it. terrible searching, no cart, no wishlist, drops you out if you actually buy something, ridiculous navigation, barely usable 'lists' that are never quite what you actually want... my god, i bitch about the store every single time i use it.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Apple baffles me. Sometimes they get the design of their software so right, where something works exactly the way it should always have worked and didn't on other platforms, and other times you just can't understand what they were thinking, where even the most bare-bones made-by-the-owner's-nephew website does more then they do.

As for good 99c games, some of the Indie Charity Sale games are still at 99c, including Canabalt, Solipskier, and Osmos. They're all really good. They were supposed to go up in price a day ago, so I'd jump on them if you want 'em.

Kaplan is giving away tons of educational ebooks. Open iBooks on any iOS device and go to the Apple store. Search for Kaplan. There's close to 40 that just became free. Mostly things like GRE, Test Reviews, Get into Grad School, Vocabulary Builders, etc.

It's actually free to other devices too (Nook & Sony EReader). Here's a link to the deal page on DealMac.

they are not in Hd but all the tables from Pinball HD are now free if you buy separate.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cycophuk']I just wanted to say to everyone that has been talking up and praising Game Dev Story, F you. Everyone just had to keep talking about it, so when I saw that the price dropped in the Android market, I decided to give it a shot. I started playing so much that I was wearing the battery on my phone down really fast. Because of that, I HAD to buy it for my Touch as well. Now I own two copies to make sure that I am able to play it all day long. I'm freaking hooked and it's everyone heres fault. Thank you all.

That said, is there any real importance to Mister X or the king? The articles make them sound like they might have a purpose, but both are just average. Also, what do I have to do to get the character that will allow me to design my own console? They never show up when I send out job hunting feelers and I'm just wasting money cause of it.[/QUOTE]I never hired them because their stats are much worse than any of my other employees. To get a hardware engineer, you need to buy 5 of those career change manuals (buy before any stat boosters so they are cheaper). You have to level up an employee to level 5 in every job and I think the 6th job is hardware engineer. Making your own system is defiantly the way to go. By the 10th year I was able to make a 64 bit BR console and every game I make sells at least 15 million copies. Another thing I noticed is that the hackers you can hire seem much better at just about everything than the other jobs. I leveled all my employees to 5 and trained the crap out of them so that everyone has at least 150 in every stat. It is much easier to get hall of fame games with all your employee's leveled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back