iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='ryanflucas']Kaplan is giving away tons of educational ebooks. Open iBooks on any iOS device and go to the Apple store. Search for Kaplan. There's close to 40 that just became free. Mostly things like GRE, Test Reviews, Get into Grad School, Vocabulary Builders, etc.

It's actually free to other devices too (Nook & Sony EReader). Here's a link to the deal page on DealMac.
[/QUOTE]

This is AWESOME. I'm taking the GRE in march. I have an iPhone being shipped to me right now. I'm downloading on my iTouch right now. Hopefully my phone gets here before the deal is up.

Thank you so much for posting.

[quote name='dugbrandon']This is AWESOME. I'm taking the GRE in march. I have an iPhone being shipped to me right now. I'm downloading on my iTouch right now. Hopefully my phone gets here before the deal is up.

Thank you so much for posting.[/QUOTE]

You can always download to iTunes and transfer the purchase later.

[quote name='autobot']is there any apps that prevent from automatically leaving the appstore everytime i purchase something. clicking the appstore and getting boot back to the spring is really annoying especially if youre making multple purchases[/QUOTE]

There is if you are jailbroken. Search for StayOpened on cydia.

[quote name='mcdaking84']does fruit ninja ever go on sale for free?[/QUOTE]

There are clones that have gone on sale for free, but honestly, it's well worth your $0.99. If you need a more direct answer to your question, might I empower you to find it out yourself?
http://appshopper.com/games/fruit-ninja

Chopper 2 is on sale for 99c. It's universal, supports TV out on iPad/4th gen devices, game syncing between devices, and using your iPhone as a controller when playing on the iPad.

http://appshopper.com/games/chopper-2

The first one is also on sale for 99c, but not quite as graphically impressive. It was one of the original app store games.

[quote name='Fatality']I never new that they was a Geometry Wars game for iPhone
Is it any good.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played it, but Isotope: A Space Shooter, is a very good game much like Geometry Wars, but with a very long campaign and TONS of stuff to unlock. Lots of fun, might be my favorite iphone game I own.

GeoFighter -Light Wars is a really good geometry wars clone for iphone. The full version is currently free I believe.

[quote name='dugbrandon']This is AWESOME. I'm taking the GRE in march. I have an iPhone being shipped to me right now. I'm downloading on my iTouch right now. Hopefully my phone gets here before the deal is up.

Thank you so much for posting.[/QUOTE]

Good luck on the GRE...Kaplan makes some of the best study materials out there.

Apparently the japanese itunes store has lots of bad reviews for The Game Dealer. Things like "unexpectedly disappointing" and "boring". Forget where I read that. I think in the touch arcade forums. So maybe should hold out for Game Dev Story 2... then again, they could be wrong.

I suck at Game Dev Story. How long does it take to make a hit game? I've released 5 games and #28 on the charts is as high as I've gotten and I never seem to have enough money to improve my development skills.

Have any of you had any experience with downloading these "free" apps, only to then be charged for them later when you receive an update? I noticed earlier on my iTunes account that there were two apps that both charged me that I had downloaded for free a few months ago.

[quote name='javeryh']I suck at Game Dev Story. How long does it take to make a hit game? I've released 5 games and #28 on the charts is as high as I've gotten and I never seem to have enough money to improve my development skills.[/QUOTE]

Takes a few games before you get rolling. You should be close, if you are low on cash be sure to do contracts. Once you get a game to top 10, things get rolling and snowball into an avalanche. Hire the right people and train some of the ones you have, advertise (cheaper ones first). When making the games, look at POPularity on the list and pick the ones that are A. The better your staff (hackers have high stats), the better game you make. Heck, my BEST seller was a Reversi Sim game.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Have any of you had any experience with downloading these "free" apps, only to then be charged for them later when you receive an update? I noticed earlier on my iTunes account that there were two apps that both charged me that I had downloaded for free a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

Updates are always free, or at least they are supposed to be. I'd contact Apple if that happened. Are you sure you got them for free? Sometimes it takes a while before Apple charges you, so perhaps they weren't free when you bought them (I've made that mistake once), and the charge just showed up now?

[quote name='crunchewy']Updates are always free, or at least they are supposed to be. I'd contact Apple if that happened. Are you sure you got them for free? Sometimes it takes a while before Apple charges you, so perhaps they weren't free when you bought them (I've made that mistake once), and the charge just showed up now?[/QUOTE]

I thought that I was getting charged for free updates and then I clicked on the "purchase". The details showed all of my updates for free and then a couple of games that I had purchased. The updates and purchases get lumped together.

[quote name='crunchewy']Updates are always free, or at least they are supposed to be. I'd contact Apple if that happened. Are you sure you got them for free? Sometimes it takes a while before Apple charges you, so perhaps they weren't free when you bought them (I've made that mistake once), and the charge just showed up now?[/QUOTE]

100% positive that when I clicked on them to purchase, they were free. I never received receipts afterwards like I do when I actually purchase anything with money. It was for two titles that I have zero interest in. I plan on adding up my purchase history and making sure that it adds up correctly.

Rogue Runner is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rogue-runner/id393339689?mt=8).
"You are a highly trained, top secret "super soldier" -- the product of the best military training available, and a little alien technology thrown in for good measure.
But now you want out! Break out of the secret desert base in a stolen jeep with rocket booster technology, or a jumping tank, and floor it.
Get as far as you can before the hordes of men in black, aliens, UFOs, black helicopters, and tailgun-mounted jeeps take you down.
But don't worry, even if they destroy your vehicle, you'll still have a chance to keep going. Leap out of the wreckage and press on!"

Don't know if there's really a demand for it, but now you can play Pogs (remember those?) on your iDevice with OpenFeint's latest Free Game of the Day, iPogs! (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ipogs/id403396005?mt=8).
"You're Cal, a young pog player trying to the best pog master in the world. But first he must beat the best of the best in his hometown of Poglandia... Can he do it? Does he have the skills to beat pog masters like the socialite hot chick Rose or the school bully Wade? Will he get special throwing techniques and rare slammers to make his way through the city? Only way to find out is to help Cal be the best of the best and harness your timing skills to be the Pog Master of Poglandia! The challenges await you...."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mtxbass1']Have any of you had any experience with downloading these "free" apps, only to then be charged for them later when you receive an update? I noticed earlier on my iTunes account that there were two apps that both charged me that I had downloaded for free a few months ago.[/QUOTE]
Happened to me when I redownloaded something last month. Just had to email iTunes support. I did get into some crap with them because they said they were doing to refund my credit card specifically in one email then they just gave me back the money in iTunes credit. It took some time to resolve it because "Starkiya" the girl who was first helping me had to transfer me to her supervisor to get it all squared away.

Does anyone know of a way to print out your purchase history. I know it can be viewed in iTunes but the font is tiny and purches and freebies are listed together. I have downloaded a few hundred freebies over the past year.

[quote name='snakeneck']Does anyone know of a way to print out your purchase history. I know it can be viewed in iTunes but the font is tiny and purches and freebies are listed together. I have downloaded a few hundred freebies over the past year.[/QUOTE]

I emailed apple about this a while back and they said no. Basically have to do it the hard way on itunes. But this was probably close to a year ago, so could give it a shot to see if anything has changed.

[quote name='darknight88']Could anyone answer this Q: when is Mirror's Edge gonna be free on US iTunes store??[/QUOTE]

The day after you buy it.

[quote name='DtotheP']The day after you buy it.[/QUOTE]

Dont be an ass. I'm asking about the giveaway thing. If it's never coming free here then fine.

[quote name='darknight88']Dont be an ass. I'm asking about the giveaway thing. If it's never coming free here then fine.[/QUOTE]

Dude, no one knows when it'll be free. We don't even know what's going to be free tomorrow on Free App a Day. I don't think any paid EA title has gone free that I recall.

[quote name='darknight88']Dont be an ass. I'm asking about the giveaway thing. If it's never coming free here then fine.[/QUOTE]

He wasn't making fun of you. It's a joke about how things always seem to go on sale right after you buy them. Don't take things so personally. Relax.

Yeah, Mirror's Edge has hit $.99 a few times but never free. It's EA so I doubt it ever will. It's an easy purchase at $.99 cents.

[quote name='GamerChris']Dude, no one knows when it'll be free. We don't even know what's going to be free tomorrow on Free App a Day. I don't think any paid EA title has gone free that I recall.[/QUOTE]

The game went free in some countries and it was expected to be a WW thing. It was even posted on SD. I was just curious what was going on since in this thread, others are more informed about these deals and was wondering if anyone knew anything. Don't need sarcastic replies, thank you.

I had not read that it was worldwide. Seemed only to be in a handful of european countries. You could probably create an account in one of those countries and download it that way. Would need to find out a proper address for that country.

[quote name='darknight88']The game went free in some countries and it was expected to be a WW thing. It was even posted on SD. I was just curious what was going on since in this thread, others are more informed about these deals and was wondering if anyone knew anything. Don't need sarcastic replies, thank you.[/QUOTE]

The running joke in here is that games go free the day after you buy them, which is funny because it's true. You must be new. Can't really say more because I'll get modded. So rather than say what I actually want to say, I'll say, "why don't you get an old thread favorite for free?"

Chop Chop Ninja

App Store

I Must Run! is still free and is pretty similar to Mirror's Edge.

App Store

:cool:

photopj.png

[quote name='chsty']Has anyone here tried Chopper 2 and can tell me if it's worth a download?[/QUOTE]
After trying out the free version of the original Chopper, I went ahead and bought the sequel. Chopper 2 is definitely a step up all the way around. Better 3D graphics, much better music, and a lot more polish and atmosphere are evident throughout. The prettier graphics and additional obstacles (frickin' birds!) also make for a slightly harder game. It's not too difficult yet, but I did die a couple of times on the first level. All in all, I like Chopper 2. I've only completed the first level so far but I actually want to go back and spend some more time with it to see what the other missions contain. For a buck, I think it's a solid buy.

BTW: Right now you can download the original version of Chopper for your Mac FREE from Majic Jungle Software's website: http://majicjungle.com/chopper.html.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back