iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

I don't remember seeing this one posted:
Chainsaw Zombie Slaughter is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/chainsaw-zombie-slaughter/id393569646?mt=8).
"The Zombies are falling from the sky! I don't know why, I don't know why!
ZOMG! Did you hear?!? The Zombies are falling from the sky! What are you going to do? I have an idea...
Grab your chainsaw. Grab your pistol. And get ready to kick some Zombie butt! You heard me, KICK SOME ZOMBIE BUTT!
Tilt your device left and right to chainsaw the Zombies as they fall from the sky!
Tap left or right to shoot the walking Zombies.
The more Zombies you kill, the higher you go. Propel yourself up the building on the growing pile of Zombie body parts!!!
Get to the top of the building and board the escape chopper to clear the level.
Sounds simple, right? WRONG!
Can you get the high score? Can you survive the daytime and nighttime levels? Can you crack the leader board?"

[quote name='chsty']Has anyone here tried Chopper 2 and can tell me if it's worth a download?[/QUOTE]

I just got it because of Dimsdale, thanks, it's a fun little game and it worked with my iPad linked with my 1g iPod touch for the controls! I've made through the first 3 levels so far. If you have two devices than I would recommend this game.

[quote name='darknight88']The game went free in some countries and it was expected to be a WW thing. It was even posted on SD. I was just curious what was going on since in this thread, others are more informed about these deals and was wondering if anyone knew anything. Don't need sarcastic replies, thank you.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you're a big whiner. How's that for no sarcasm?
If you want a soda, do you sit around waiting to find a free one instead of just taking a buck out of your wallet and buying one? If you're jonesing for a game so bad, friggin' buy it. It's cheap, and you'll be supporting the people who make it.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']I think Tiger Woods went free at some point.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I don't know if you meant that to be a joke or not, but Tiger Woods was demo'ing his wares in so many places, I think you have to stop considering it free and start considering it, "He's paying them to play."

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Haha, I don't know if you meant that to be a joke or not, but Tiger Woods was demo'ing his wares in so many places, I think you have to stop considering it free and start considering it, "He's paying them to play."[/QUOTE]

Man did you here he got kicked off the cover of his own game because his skills sucks so much last year their gonna put someone else on Tiger Woods PGA Tour, not like people really buy those anyway

Minotaur Rescue is pretty awesome once you get the controls. The key is short swipes, not dragging your finger around. Think of it like a track ball and you're golden. Really fun game and definitely worth 99 cents. Jeff Minter has a win here. But I don't think I can compete with those scores....

[quote name='crunchewy']Minotaur Rescue is pretty awesome once you get the controls. The key is short swipes, not dragging your finger around. Think of it like a track ball and you're golden. Really fun game and definitely worth 99 cents. Jeff Minter has a win here. But I don't think I can compete with those scores....[/QUOTE]

I bought it just to support Jeff, that guy has been around forever.

[quote name='stoned99']I bought it just to support Jeff, that guy has been around forever.[/QUOTE]

FYI, Minter is active in the thread in the iPad games section of the forums at toucharcade.com. There's also an iPhone games forum and thread, but he hasn't posted there... yet. I'm playing this on an iPhone 4, myself. Anyway, Minter is "stinky ox" there.

[quote name='mcdaking84']did they remove both swords and poker off the app store? just checked on my ipod and they're both gone[/QUOTE]

shows up for me. Maybe "swords" is the reason. It's just titled "Sword and poker"

the same thing happened to me while trying to redownload Soosiz. the page shows up, but when i click download it said its no longer available. that game was awesome. think of mario galaxy as a 2d platformer

I picked up Solipskier ($1), and it has been an excellent take on the "go to the right as far as you can," most fun in that category for me. You draw lines to get a skiier to jump, do tricks, and make it through gates to rack up as many points as you can. Great little game, works really well on iPad, haven't tried it yet on iPhone (universal app). This easily beats out Monster Dash, Canabalt, Rogue Runner and even Fly, Kiwi Fly (my previous favorite).

Another recent gem for me is Trainyard ($1). Great game if you love puzzle games, the controls can be a little frustrating, I end up laying down tracks I don't mean to, but overall easy to forgive given everything else. They have a sharing option that let's you upload your solution and it's f'n brilliant how they let you see other peoples take on the same puzzle. Love it.

Offering a new take on TD games, Towers vs Dragons is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/towers-vs-dragons/id392015311?mt=8#).

"Towers vs. Dragons is a cleverly unique game that blends tower defense, line drawing and flight control for an awesome gaming experience. There are 15 levels for you to tackle and 3 modes of survival to test your battle and strategy skills. Each of the levels varies in style, introducing new elements to help you fight the foe and have a ton of fun while doing it.

Although strategy and tactics are your best defenses, the app supplies you with a rich arsenal of weapons to use, so go ahead and pick your favorite method for destroying evil dragons. Burn them, smash them, stab them, fill them full of holes and freeze them. It doesn’t matter; go with what makes you happy and is available in the level you’re in. Once you’ve kicked dragon butt, your high score may be posted on the game center leaderboard for the world to see."

I correct my note about playing Minotaur - you do sometimes want to drag your finger, or rather, drag and hold. That's a boost that shoots you, say, out of the grasp of the sun, or to otherwise move quickly across the screen.

Also, in case it isn't obvious (it isn't!), you change game modes by tapping the top portion of the main screen. If you are having trouble with the sun, try the deep space version. No sun, no gravity. There's also the jet stream and tanks games. I tried the tanks game and my first play I wasn't totally thrilled with it, but I'll try that again. It's the Atari 2600 tanks game, but with the minotaurs, if you pick them up, providing rapid fire. Entertaining, but I found the control of this mode more difficult. Perhaps also just takes some practice.

I figured out the problem where I thought I was being charged for free apps. It was all in how it was being displayed in iTunes. When I actually clicked on the orders, I saw that the charges were correct. To date, surprisingly, I've only spent about $35 in the app store. Recently $9.99 of that was How to Cook Everything for the iPad. If anyone wants probably the best cooking app on iPad, I highly recommend that one.

This looks like a scam. Read the "disclaimer" at the bottom of the description for this app (I hesitate to call it a game).

★ Ogtus Media is not responsible for the use of this product once it is end the hands of the end user. Does not include actual games. All games are owned and copyrighted by the respective owners. Download and enjoy!★

Also read the one review for it.

[quote name='Fatality']80s Arcade
$1.99
Includes the following classics:
✔ Donkey Kong
✔ Pac-Man
✔ Frogger
✔ Galaga
✔ Karate Champ
✔ Centipede
✔ Missile Command
✔ AND MORE!!!

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/80s-arcade[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Smaxor']This looks like a scam. Read the "disclaimer" at the bottom of the description for this app (I hesitate to call it a game).

Also read the one review for it.[/QUOTE]

lol new it was to good to be true
nice catch

[quote name='DtotheP']It probably has something to do with the Mac app store. Lots of iPhone games now have Mac ports as well. Give it a day or so.[/QUOTE]

Doubt it, the Sword and Poker games haven't been available since at least early December when I tried to get them.

Should update the thread title for the Mac Apps store.

Rushed home to grab the App Store update but am super underwhelmed. Thought more apps would be universal and thus I would have already owned them via my purchase on the iPad or iPhone but they are not. Not yet at least. So far I have installed... nothing.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Offering a new take on TD games, Towers vs Dragons is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/towers-vs-dragons/id392015311?mt=8#).

"Towers vs. Dragons is a cleverly unique game that blends tower defense, line drawing and flight control for an awesome gaming experience. There are 15 levels for you to tackle and 3 modes of survival to test your battle and strategy skills. Each of the levels varies in style, introducing new elements to help you fight the foe and have a ton of fun while doing it.

Although strategy and tactics are your best defenses, the app supplies you with a rich arsenal of weapons to use, so go ahead and pick your favorite method for destroying evil dragons. Burn them, smash them, stab them, fill them full of holes and freeze them. It doesn’t matter; go with what makes you happy and is available in the level you’re in. Once you’ve kicked dragon butt, your high score may be posted on the game center leaderboard for the world to see."[/QUOTE]

Showing .99Cents for me. Hope it drops to free soon.

[quote name='javeryh']Boggle on the iPad rules - easily the best $1 game I've played.[/QUOTE]
Thanks man, I was going to pass this one up. Glad I didn't.

[quote name='Smaxor']This looks like a scam. Read the "disclaimer" at the bottom of the description for this app (I hesitate to call it a game).

Also read the one review for it.[/QUOTE]

There is a few reviews now saying that it's not a game at all just YouTube videos of people playing the games. These people should be arrested.

[quote name='BREVITY']Should update the thread title for the Mac Apps store.

Rushed home to grab the App Store update but am super underwhelmed. Thought more apps would be universal and thus I would have already owned them via my purchase on the iPad or iPhone but they are not. Not yet at least. So far I have installed... nothing.[/QUOTE]

I think you have a misunderstanding. None of them are going to be "universal" (aka - buy on iPhone, run on Mac, or vice-versa), as far as I've heard. Its not like the iPhone and iPad, where it literally is one executable that runs on both devices, just in different resolutions/layouts. Mac OS X and iOS are separate architectures. As such, the stores are completely separate and distinct.

In other words, if a developer writes and compiles an app for iPhone and then just puts the app on an iPad, it works. If they put it on a Mac computer, it doesn't. Macs are Intel x86-based and iOS devices are ARM-based.

[quote name='crunchewy']Minotaur Rescue is pretty awesome once you get the controls. The key is short swipes, not dragging your finger around. Think of it like a track ball and you're golden. Really fun game and definitely worth 99 cents. Jeff Minter has a win here. But I don't think I can compete with those scores....[/QUOTE]

As soon as I saw "Jeff Minter" I went to the App store and bought it.

It rules.

Whack 'N Roll is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/whackn-roll-an-awesome-funny/id381037050?mt=8).
"Use your fingers to defeat loads of whacky birds! Navigate through 45 different levels, in an adventure or classic mode.
Cross 5 worlds and 6 different games. Go face nasty bosses, whack winged enemies. Apply strategies during fast action, discover a new puzzle concept, dance to crazy rhythms and expect a lot more to discover ... Share your scores worldwide. Test your skills in two dedicated game modes that will calculate your "reflex age" and let you improve it."

Fans of Scrabble may want to check out WordSnake while it's FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/id366253902?mt=8).
"WordSnake, by oBo Games, takes word-building to a whole new level of fun. Help Elmer the WordSnake get from his snake den to the den of Ophelia, his sweetheart. One catch - Elmer is a word aficionado. He can only cross the game board over actual words.
You must use 130 letter tiles to build a word bridge for Elmer to cross. To make the trip more challenging, there are Obstacles and Shortcuts to help and hinder. Obstacles are impassable areas on the board, while Shortcuts allow you to jump over several columns to get closer to Ophelia’s den. There are also letter and word bonus icons to increase your score."

Angry Birds on a big screen (Mac App Store) is awesome. Worth the $5 to me, but the game needs multiple saves. They are promising computer specific levels and featureslater too. Apparently also available for Windows 7 via some other "app store" - see the Angry Birds Facebook page. Oh, and $5 is the intro price, allegedly going up to $10 at some point. Seems a bit high, that.

Back in iOS land, I'm totally addicted to Minotaur Rescue and starting to catch up, though still a ways off.

"The running joke in here is that games go free the day after you buy them, which is funny because it's true"

LOL,

Hi guys, this is the "real" faad, I just wanted to let you all know that I come here from time to see what you think about the apps that I am featuring. The joke above is really funny by the way.

I'll keep on working hard to bring you all the best app store apps and I have some pretty big apps coming up in February and some good ones January as well.

If you want to know if it's really me tomorrow's app after Angeofstick starts like this Cr......

Have a good evening!
-Faad your daily free app provider for my cheapassgamer friends! :):D

Reiner Knizia's Kingdoms has dropped to $1.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/reiner-knizias-kingdoms/id398644286?mt=8)

"Kingdoms is a clever tile-laying game by top eurogame designer, Reiner Knizia. In a medieval kingdom, you must scout out resources and hazards to decide where to build your mightiest castles. Commit too soon and you might discover a tribe of ogres right next door, but commit too late, and your opponents will grab up all the real estate!

Six different opponents, each with their own personality, challenge you at a variety of difficulty levels to make the game very replayable."

For all people "tagging" the thread. You can subscribe to the thread underneath thread tools at the top. You don't need to post in the thread that way.

Rebirth of Fortune has dropped to FREE again for all you strategizers (http://itunes.apple.com/app/rebirth-of-fortune/id342112508?mt=8#).
"★ Strategy RPG with Customizable Units!
“Rebirth of Fortune” is a tactical role-playing game borrowing the combat mode made famous by such Strategy RPGs as “Tactics Ogre” and “Final Fantasy Tactics.”Up to eight of your units battle hoards of mercenaries in turn-based, strategic combat on various terrains."

[quote name='FAAD']"The running joke in here is that games go free the day after you buy them, which is funny because it's true"

LOL,

Hi guys, this is the "real" faad, I just wanted to let you all know that I come here from time to see what you think about the apps that I am featuring. The joke above is really funny by the way.

I'll keep on working hard to bring you all the best app store apps and I have some pretty big apps coming up in February and some good ones January as well.

If you want to know if it's really me tomorrow's app after Angeofstick starts like this Cr......

Have a good evening!
-Faad your daily free app provider for my cheapassgamer friends! :):D[/QUOTE]

You are why my ipod touch is littered with apps! ;)

Seriously though, LOVE FAAD.

Board game fans may want to check out Wizard Hex while it's still on sale for $2.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/wizard-hex/id410535271?mt=8). The app has received mixed reviews mostly due to the lack of a comprehensive tutorial or traditional set of instructions (which is promised to be remedied). Anyway, the developers seem really responsive and are actively participating in several forums (one of which is here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=78842). I just thought I'd mention it here because the game looks like it has a lot of potential and the price is supposed to go back up after January 11.

"Wizard Hex – a seemingly simple game. Played on a elegantly designed hexagonal board, you choose your element and then challenge yourself against as many as five other players or as few as one smart computer to attempt to be the strongest and to take forever control.

You begin as an Apprentice, learn to be a Journeyman and eventually challenge yourself and others at the Wizard Level. You play not only your own element but the friendly elements found on either side. Together you struggle to Expand to new regions, Transmute from Bronze to Silver to indestructible Gold, and Attack when the opportunity arises. All the time defending and consolidating a winning position. A new strategy game of resource management and area control – Chess or Go for the modern age.

Wizard Hex is such a great strategy game that we are releasing it first as a traditional abstract piece moving game. Throughout the course of 2011 we will be populating the game with unique Spells that will allow for a more modern fantasy experience. The portal to this clever creation is just now opening….are you ready?"

The sequel to Rebirth of Fortune, Sorcerer of Fortune, is also currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sorcerer-of-fortune/id386290421?mt=8#).

"In the Fortune World, there is a magic energy called, Ether. You can get orbs as you refine the Ether. The Orb can be used for the resource to the magic. There is a class, Sorcerers, who uses orbs to spell the magic.

There are 8 orbs in the fortune world. You can use stronger magic as you place Orbs well-strategically.

40 Sorcerers with each story for new adventures and more than 250 various items. Meteor Dragon is related all of them and is centered in this Fortune World. Start your adventure to defeat the Meteor Dragon."

[quote name='Dimsdale']Rebirth of Fortune has dropped to FREE again for all you strategizers (http://itunes.apple.com/app/rebirth-of-fortune/id342112508?mt=8#).
"★ Strategy RPG with Customizable Units!
“Rebirth of Fortune” is a tactical role-playing game borrowing the combat mode made famous by such Strategy RPGs as “Tactics Ogre” and “Final Fantasy Tactics.”Up to eight of your units battle hoards of mercenaries in turn-based, strategic combat on various terrains."[/QUOTE]

The core gameplay is nice here but not a lot of depth to it. Still not bad for free. A lot of potential here if they'd add a story mode and fix a few small things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back