iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

Thanks for the heads up on Surveillant. Seems to be a release day only freebie and the reviews so far are excellent (4.5+ stars). I have no idea what it is, but had to download it. :)

If you have elementary school-aged children at home, you may want to download the currently FREE Plus Tale to help them with their basic math skills (http://itunes.apple.com/app/plustale/id389750359?mt=8#).
"Plus Tale is an enjoyable and well designed game for adults and children. An easy and amusing game helps people get to improve and strengthen your arithmetic math skills and concepts, situational judgment and decision making abilities while having great fun. There is also Extra Game, which has three kinds of modes, TimeAttack & Character, Together modes, and it will give you great satisfaction and different type of fun."
Don't be too put off by the Engrish description. The app is actually pretty polished and does a fine job of presenting a variety of math problems for the younger set. I downloaded it specifically for my 7-year-old but I think the combo problems (number times number minus number, etc.) will even be good for my 10-year-old. I like the fact that you have to do the math in your head without staring at the equation. Hopefully, it will help reinforce the idea that you need to pay attention (in class as well as other areas of life).

[quote name='crunchewy']Why do you say that Verizon iPhone users won't be able to use video chat? Apple even has an ad out showing Verizon and AT&T customers using Facetime together. I'll be with AT&T for a while yet, probably sticking with them now that the coverage at work is great, but I'm curious about this.

I'm downloading 700 Solitaire Games for iPhone and iPad. Thanks for the heads up Dims![/QUOTE]

over 3G, not in general

[quote name='jcslao']Again you do not have to go into store to swap phones. You can do it right at your home or anywhere less than five minutes.

Get a phone with a clean ESN (someone who paid their contract off or who no longer uses the phone) and call #228 and BOOM! From that point forward it's easy. You have a new phone. Verizon has had a strict policy on that in the past but they have made it easier to swap phones for others if you want on the fly.[/QUOTE]

Very good to know.

Alien War 2 is available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/alien-war2/id343191278?mt=8) if you feel like zapping some aliens.
"Alien War2 is really simple and attractive action game. With the lightning, you can enjoy a unique game style in defeating Alien.
Very easy to play, isn’t it?
* Marvelous Graphic again
* With one single touch, feel thrilling lightning attack
* Various alien
* New weapon added.
* Upgrade shop for lightning power / Attack range / HP
* Cutting edge realistic lightning effect and sound
* Outstanding visual effect"

Although it's been free for awhile now, Marbles Multiball 3D - The Castle Adventure is being featured on FAAD (http://itunes.apple.com/app/marbles-multiball-3d-the-castle/id338663277?mt=8).
"Marbles Multiball is a coordination game - but not your average one!
Dive into the mystic world of Marbles Multiball!
Tilt your device to control many marbles simultaneously through atmospheric 3D levels!
Master ramps, traps and slopes, solve puzzles and crazy labyrinths. Use the realistic physics to your need!
Find hidden shortcuts and use all your brains to solve the later levels in this unique combination of skill, puzzle and action. This game will keep you entertained for hours and hours!"

The puzzler Qbism HD is the new FAAD featured game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/qbism-hd/id406129137?mt=8).
"Qbism HD is a unique and challenging 3D puzzle game like no other!
Slide the cubes into the outline to solve the puzzle. Sound simple enough? It is, so we added a 3rd dimension. Now the challenge is on! Challenge your perception and solve Qbism HD!"

Doodle Blast is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/doodle-blast/id397680616?mt=8).
"Doodle Blast is an survival arcade style shooter with good doodle images where you control a astronaut with a big arsenal of weapons.
The objective is to extinguish every single object you meet through the outer space while collecting itens and new weapons.
If things get too complicate you can tap the screen to realese a bomb to vanquish all the objects."

[quote name='jacknicklson']Best app for editing office documents and text files? Specifically looking to work out of dropbox, thanks[/QUOTE]

I use Office2 HD..... integrates with dropbox and much much cheaper than apple's programs

[quote name='Dimsdale']If you have elementary school-aged children at home, you may want to download the currently FREE Plus Tale to help them with their basic math skills (http://itunes.apple.com/app/plustale/id389750359?mt=8#).
"Plus Tale is an enjoyable and well designed game for adults and children. An easy and amusing game helps people get to improve and strengthen your arithmetic math skills and concepts, situational judgment and decision making abilities while having great fun. There is also Extra Game, which has three kinds of modes, TimeAttack & Character, Together modes, and it will give you great satisfaction and different type of fun."
Don't be too put off by the Engrish description. The app is actually pretty polished and does a fine job of presenting a variety of math problems for the younger set. I downloaded it specifically for my 7-year-old but I think the combo problems (number times number minus number, etc.) will even be good for my 10-year-old. I like the fact that you have to do the math in your head
without staring at the equation. Hopefully, it will help reinforce the idea that
you need to pay attention (in class as well as other areas of life).[/QUOTE]

Nice one.

anyone ever seen any deals on bookworm? i love most popcap games, but don't own that one... 3 bucks is cheap but 1 is cheaper...

If I had an iPad, I'd be snagging a copy of Monkey Island Tales 1 HD while it's on sale for $2.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/monkey-island-tales-1-hd/id406248957?mt=8). But that's just me. . .
"Prepare yourself for a thrilling adventure in this all-time great series.
Episode 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
While stripping the evil pirate LeChuck of his demonic mojo, Guybrush Threepwood inadvertently infects the entire Caribbean with his arch-fiend's voodoo. Guybrush must stop a mysterious pox that’s transforming buccaneers into unruly pirate monsters!"

[quote name='revsmitty']Nice one.[/QUOTE]
There's also another FREE version of this learning game (Plus Tale) called Plus Heaven (http://itunes.apple.com/app/plus-heaven/id381261470?mt=8). It's pretty much the exact same game except it uses fun, animated 2-D sketches for the visuals. It's also available in standard and HD (http://itunes.apple.com/app/plus-heaven-hd/id385698684?mt=8) flavors. My 10-year-old actually found it pretty challenging because it spits the numbers out fairly fast as you keep progressing.

I like Dead Space, I really do. But after watching the preview video for the iPhone/iPod/iPad version of it, it looked rather boring. Good graphics, but just didn't do the same thing the console version did for me.

i really want to try it...especially since it's a prequel to DS2. but $7??

I dropped that on Infinity Blade and felt it was worthwhile though

I picked up dead space and have put about 45 minutes into it. As a dead space fan, I have to say, it's excellent. I'm usually fairly cheap when it comes to my iPhone purchases, as I've picked up some rather expensive titles in the past ($5) and never really felt lie I've gotten my moneys worth. 45 minutes into Dead Space, and I can already tell you I feel like I have. It's basically the console game, on your phone. It's not perfect, but for something I can play anywhere, I think it's amazing.

The controls are very well done. One side of the screen moves, the other aims. Tap on the screen to raise your weapon, tap again to fire. Tap on the ammo indicator to reload. All very easy, all very well done. The graphics are amazing - I'm not a big graphics person, and I haven't played infinity blade, but it's definitely the best game I've seen on my phone. Again, its a mobile version of the console game - if you played the original, it will look and feel very similar.

The only downside, so far, is combat. It's just a little too slow to aim, and the bad guys are just a little bit faster than I think they should be, but really, it only adds to the tension. I hear on the iPad, with more real estate, it's a bit better, but I've only died once so far, so it's really not that bad.

I'm off to bed, but I'll be happy to answer any other questions about it in the morning, provided someone doesn't beat me to them.

[quote name='boredasfook']If anyone buys dead space would like to hear some immpressions.[/QUOTE]

I played about 45 minutes of it and walked away extremely impressed. If you like Dead Space this is a must own, it feels exactly like the console version. The graphics are incredible, the control is decent (though not great, it feels pretty close to battlefield as far as movement goes), the combat seems pretty exciting, you have to do quick motions sometimes like swiping your finger to cut off the arm of the creature grabbing you, the sound effects and music are incredible (easily one of the best I've heard on the ipod). Basically if you like Dead Space you'll like this one.

[quote name='dallow']Normally I'd instabuy the iPad version right now but it's an EA game so I can wait a bit for the quick drop.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

On a side note, all of Amidio's apps are on sale right now. I suggest Noise.io at $5, $10 off and lowest price it's ever been. Jr Hexatone, iHolophone and the previously mentioned Seline are also on sale for $2.

Noise.io

To the guy who wanted a word processing app with good online support, Quickoffice probably has the best support (google docs, dropbox, box.net etc), but the long promised PowerPoint support is still missing. It also goes on sale often, and usually costs less than documents to go.

Quickoffice

Update: Amidio has made Piano Pro free (normally $5) as part of the sale. Dimsdale, definitely grab this one.
Piano Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sad to see that Dead Space is not like Infinity Blade where it works on both the iPad and iPhone. I know I could get the iPhone version and play it scaled on my iPad, but I would rather have it match the actual resolution of my device.

I can wait. It's EA, it will drop to $.99 very very soon. Look at all those Need For Speed, The Sims, and others all dropped to $.99 in less than a week to a month. Even if it's not $.99 it will be at least half off.

[quote name='tenzor']I am sad to see that Dead Space is not like Infinity Blade where it works on both the iPad and iPhone. I know I could get the iPhone version and play it scaled on my iPad, but I would rather have it match the actual resolution of my device.[/QUOTE]

You mean that Infinity Blade is Universal (works with both iPhone/iPod touch and iPad natively) and Dead Space isn't.

[quote name='DtotheP']Exactly!

On a side note, all of Amidio's apps are on sale right now. I suggest Noise.io at $5, $10 off and lowest price it's ever been. Jr Hexatone, iHolophone and the previously mentioned Seline are also on sale for $2.

Noise.io

To the guy who wanted a word processing app with good online support, Quickoffice probably has the best support (google docs, dropbox, box.net etc), but the long promised PowerPoint support is still missing. It also goes on sale often, and usually costs less than documents to go.

Quickoffice

Update: Amidio has made Piano Pro free (normally $5) as part of the sale. Dimsdale, definitely grab this one.
Piano Pro[/QUOTE]
Thank you, my electronica brother! I'll definitely be checking out Amidio's wares this morning. In the meantime, here's another rhythm-based diversion that's currently available for FREE:
muBlip (http://itunes.apple.com/app/mublip/id352640163?mt=8)
"muBlip is a rhythm & shapes game that will require you to flex your memory muscle. The core gameplay is simple: learn multi-touch patterns then replay them as accurately as possible. Think of it as Simon says meets multi-touch."

[quote name='mtxbass1']My iPad does that. Some days it'll take forever to drain, then others the entire battery will drain in 2.5 days or so. I've found that if you have push notifications on, that will drain your battery. I also make sure to close any programs that had been opened, since multi-task seems to drain the battery as well, even when it's sleeping.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, turning the push notifications off helped me a lot. Is there a way to know what programs are still running in the background after you are done with them like a task manager?

[quote name='miriamleo']I can wait. It's EA, it will drop to $.99 very very soon. Look at all those Need For Speed, The Sims, and others all dropped to $.99 in less than a week to a month. Even if it's not $.99 it will be at least half off.[/QUOTE]

Truth. That's what I'm doing, too. Then again, I'm also waiting for a drop on Infinity Blade and I'm sure that's months away. I just don't think any iPhone game is worth more than $3. And only the very best are at that $3, like Space Miner: Space Ore Bust and Game Dev Story. Both of which, I might add, I got for less than $3.

[quote name='snakeneck']Double click the home button and a bar with all open apps appears at the bottom.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I seriously just closed 50 - 100 apps.

[quote name='DtotheP']

Quickoffice[/QUOTE]

I'd caution someone about a purchase on Quickoffice. I have had MANY documents make the app simply crash. It actually does have powerpoint support and supports the external monitor. That said, I used it for the first time in a presentation yesterday, and it crashed so many times I had to switch to my laptop.

[quote name='dallow']Normally I'd instabuy the iPad version right now but it's an EA game so I can wait a bit for the quick drop.[/QUOTE]

very true.

Burger Queen went from .99 to FREE. (good user ratings and has Game Center!

Rock to Hockey is an air hockey game and is FREE. Don't ever have to worry about putting quarter after quarter in the machine! Game Center also!

@blandstalker- thanks for those two games I downloaded them and like them a lot!

[quote name='Stimes']Thanks, I seriously just closed 50 - 100 apps.[/QUOTE]

Me too! What am I doing wrong, why do these stay running in the background?

[quote name='namrog']Me too! What am I doing wrong, why do these stay running in the background?[/QUOTE]

Just because you see a huge list doesn't mean all of those are running. It's just your list of your most recently used apps. Only the last 4-10 or so are in the background, depending on your device.

[quote name='Stimes']Thanks, I seriously just closed 50 - 100 apps.[/QUOTE]

again, thanks. i just saw that nearly every app on my iPad was running. great tip.

Guys. Those apps are not running in the background and thus, not draining your battery. Its a list of the most recently opened apps.

iOS doesn't do true multitasking, it only freezes compatible apps in memory so they can opened again quickly later. If another app opens that needs that memory, it removes the older apps first.

First in, first out.

[quote name='dallow']Guys. Those apps are not running in the background and thus, not draining your battery. Its a list of the most recently opened apps.

iOS doesn't do true multitasking, it only freezes compatible apps in memory so they can opened again quickly later. If another app opens that needs that memory, it removes the older apps first.

First in, first out.[/QUOTE]

Really? I've noticed that if an app hangs and I can't do anything even after exiting and going back in the only way to "close" it is to double click the home button, hold down the app icon and press the minus sign to truly "close" it. Then it will open with no problems. I always assumed this meant that everything in that list was open and running somehow in the background...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back