iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='Darknuke']Best Buy has:
Apple iTunes $50 Gift Card for $42.50 with free shipping: here
Apple iTunes $100 Gift Card for $85: here

Just in case anyone wants even more discounts on their app purchases =). I bought the $50 one. Figured I'd use it all eventually.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Darknuke.

[quote name='mtxbass1']What does that have to do with iPad/iPod apps?[/QUOTE]
Wow, I am actually shocked by what a jackass you are. It was one post, by a guy who has contributed a bunch of legit deals to this thread, about a game that is pretty much synonymous with iOS gaming, linked to another thread so people can discuss it there. Congratulations, you've earned my vote for whiny bitch of the year:applause:

[quote name='mtxbass1']What does that have to do with iPad/iPod apps?[/QUOTE]

I think angry birds started as an iPod app, I believe I remember people mentioning it when it came out for Mac and Ps3 on this thread, I could be wrong. It's a slow day for iPad/iPod apps I didn't think anyone would mind.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Fragger Desert Strike is the latest FAAD featured game [/QUOTE]
Thanks! I've been on the fence about fragger so I guess I'll get it for free and check it out.

[quote name='Liveforlaughs76']Wow, I am actually shocked by what a jackass you are. It was one post, by a guy who has contributed a bunch of legit deals to this thread, about a game that is pretty much synonymous with iOS gaming, linked to another thread so people can discuss it there. Congratulations, you've earned my vote for whiny bitch of the year:applause:[/QUOTE]

Here you go then. Here's someone else who beat him to it.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285936

PS. Threatening me over PM's is only going to get you banned.

[quote name='Stimes']I think angry birds started as an iPod app, I believe I remember people mentioning it when it came out for Mac and Ps3 on this thread, I could be wrong. It's a slow day for iPad/iPod apps I didn't think anyone would mind.[/QUOTE]

nope, i think it was sharing so a good post, most of us were introduced to AB's on the iPhone. I wasn't even aware that a pc version exists. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='Stimes']I think angry birds started as an iPod app, I believe I remember people mentioning it when it came out for Mac and Ps3 on this thread, I could be wrong. It's a slow day for iPad/iPod apps I didn't think anyone would mind.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind you posting about it in this thread and I appreciate what you post in this thread. I just don't see how it pertains to iOS gaming. It's not on sale for iOS. It's not a deal for the iOS versions. This thread is very much on topic about iOS deals, so I'm not following why the free Angry Birds discussion needs to be brought up here, when it's not available at all for free on these devices (ipod, iphone, ipad).

[quote name='mtxbass1'] I'm not following why the free Angry Birds discussion needs to be brought up here, when it's not available at all for free on these devices (ipod, iphone, ipad).[/QUOTE]

Because this is cheap ass gamer and I don't want you to spend your hard earned money on a game you can get for free if you own a pc.

An Astro Boy game that looks nearly identical to the GBA classic Omega Factor just got released for 2 bucks. Did anyone try it yet?

mzl.geiluako.320x480-75.jpg

I just decided to take a risk and blind buy that new Astro Boy game but I'm getting the "no longer available" message. I was going to take one for the team, but it wont let me, sorry!

[quote name='dubbfoolio']fragger looks exactly like another game I've played. Is this an iteration of another title? I'll figure it out when I look on itunes.[/QUOTE]
I don't know, but these games always remind me of Gorilla, lol

qbasic-gorilla-screenshot.gif

Sheeple is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/sheeple/id329732332?mt=8).
"Sheeple (“Sheep People”): People unable to think for themselves.
You are the Overseer of the Sheeple and it is your responsibility to help guide the Sheeple out of their various predicaments! You have many interesting tools at your disposal to help guide the Sheeple through various challenging situations that they would otherwise be hopelessly stuck in forever."

But Thomas Jefferson said the sheeple could never be free.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

[quote name='mujahid9']new sku for baseball superstars 2011 on iphone (in addition to the lite and pro) - free http://itunes.apple.com/app/id414173908?mt=8[/QUOTE]

I saw it this morning, but I'm wondering what's the difference, maybe it's like their 2009 version that has the full version but ads?

This is what GAMEVIL wrote:

Whoa! Baseball Superstars 2011. is now LIVE! Enjoy Full Features of the FULL Version for FREE! YES! FREE! http://itunes.apple.com/app/id414173908?mt=8

Edit: Got more info.

Baseball Superstars 2011. is now LIVE!
You can enjoy ALL the contents of the full version for FREE!

YES! Play unlimited matches in My League, Season, Exhibition, Match Play, HR Race and Mission Mode!

Grab it now and experience baseball fever on your iOS devices!

Last edited by a moderator:
Presumably it now has ads, but I'll download BS2011 for free for sure. Thanks for the heads up on that!

EDIT: In for Sheeple too.

So just an update on Riven:

As someone who only played MYST and NOT Riven before, I'm finding this game enjoyable. Just beware that it is very open and it gives you no leads when you start. A lot of self exploration and discovery leads to you figuring out environmental puzzles with trial and error. A lot of stuff you have to put in the back of your brain (or take a snapshot of) until it comes up again later.

Definitely feeling proud of myself for figuring some of these puzzles out (though I have to use the shake and show me what I can effect feature). I'm going to go as far as possible without a FAQ and it's lead to some pretty cool solutions.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Sheeple is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/sheeple/id329732332?mt=8).
"Sheeple (“Sheep People”): People unable to think for themselves.
You are the Overseer of the Sheeple and it is your responsibility to help guide the Sheeple out of their various predicaments! You have many interesting tools at your disposal to help guide the Sheeple through various challenging situations that they would otherwise be hopelessly stuck in forever."[/QUOTE]

[quote name='doodofdoods']But Thomas Jefferson said the sheeple could never be free.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."[/QUOTE]

http://appshopper.com/games/sheeple-hd

Thanks, a very fun game. The iPad version looks like it's a different game, levels are bigger and has a screen scrolling feature. It's normally $2.99 on sale for $.99 also.

I am sure most of you probally know about woot.com right? The site that has only ONE thing for sale everyday. Well for those of you who know about woot, you probally know about thier sister site shirtwoot

( http://shirt.woot.com/ )

I buy t shirts from them every once and a while, well todays tshirt I thought was awesome, and I thought you guys might enjoy it too.... Its a pic of cupid making unlikely people fall in love with each other. There is a pic of a droid and an apple together (droid phone vs iphone), there is a donkey and elephant hugging (demacrat vs republican), there is a zombie hugging a plant (plants vs zombies) and a bird hugging a pig (angry birds)

Like i said in the title its sort of on topic :)

[quote name='mrmagoo1974']I am sure most of you probally know about woot.com right? The site that has only ONE thing for sale everyday. Well for those of you who know about woot, you probally know about thier sister site shirtwoot

( http://shirt.woot.com/ )

I buy t shirts from them every once and a while, well todays tshirt I thought was awesome, and I thought you guys might enjoy it too.... Its a pic of cupid making unlikely people fall in love with each other. There is a pic of a droid and an apple together (droid phone vs iphone), there is a donkey and elephant hugging (demacrat vs republican), there is a zombie hugging a plant (plants vs zombies) and a bird hugging a pig (angry birds)

Like i said in the title its sort of on topic :)[/QUOTE]

On-topic for having angry birds and PvZ :applause:
I check out that site from time to time but never found one that I really like and buy...

Kinda On-topic question... Is there an app/software that lets you backup your game saves without jailbreaking? I remember seeing it in a forum somewhere but not sure whats the name...

Super Fly (http://itunes.apple.com/app/super-fly/id384294650?mt=8) and Super Fly HD (http://itunes.apple.com/app/super-fly-hd/id412655684?mt=8) are currently available for FREE.
"You're a regular fly just minding your own business but endless waves of enemies want to eat you for lunch! Survive as long as you can!
You start out armed with only a simple stick with a nail in it. Collect coins to spend in the upgrade shop. Purchase more powerful weapons and gear to exact revenge on your enemies!
Super Fly is a game where you battle creatures and collect coins. Coins can be spent in the in-game store to upgrade and customize your character. There are a wide variety of items to buy and they all alter the gameplay in some way."

Einfach Genial, also known as Renier Knizia's Ingenious, is on sale for .99 for the month of February (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ingenious/id344523873?mt=8).
"The already addictive nature of the Ingenious board game is greatly enhanced on the iPhone, giving the user a really exciting- and graphically stimulating-experience every time. Build lines of colour tiles, try and block your opponent, and remember that the winner isn't necessarily the player with the highest scores in only a few colours!
You must excel in all your colours."

The reviews look split between those who love it and those who definitely don't, but AstroRaider has dropped to FREE for the very first time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/astroraider/id329900724?mt=8).
"AstroRaider is not your daddy's shooter.
That is unless he likes fast paced action, flying around in space, shooting asteroids and aliens, and surviving death rays from a nearly impossible to defeat queen mother ship.
The only question is, are you up to the challenge?
In AstroRaider you have to navigate your way through outer space and try to complete each of the eight levels. Each level gets more difficult as you go, with tougher aliens and more asteroids coming at you. To complete each level, you have to defeat all of the queens and open the warp gate. But be careful, a queen packs quite a punch, dishing out devastating damage with each attack."

Lastly, Subsolar has near-perfect reviews and is currently on sale for half off (.99) during its introductory period (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/subsolar/id392661067?mt=8).
"The gameplay concept of Subsolar is so original that you've never played anything like it. Yet it is simple and fun for newcomers. All you have to do is to capture photons, while avoiding red antimatter, by placing series of three fields. Once a chain is complete, it explodes and you score points based on how many photons you captured. That's all there is to know to enjoy Subsolar!
Experienced players always praise its sophisticated advanced techniques and deep scoring mechanics. You'll learn how to change antimatter into photons, how to create vortexes, and take advantage of power-ups, how to use super power fields...and the list goes on!
*Please note that even though graphics, sound and story are unique to Subsolar, its gameplay content is the same as Love Battle Princess. Before deciding on which version you prefer, please check Love Battle Princess on our app store page!"

[quote name='SirDiealot']
Kinda On-topic question... Is there an app/software that lets you backup your game saves without jailbreaking? I remember seeing it in a forum somewhere but not sure whats the name...[/QUOTE]

If you're on Mac, you can use a combination of iPhone backup extractor and iPhone explorer to do this, and you don't need to be jailbroken. You can also recover a lot of other data this way as well.

[quote name='DtotheP']If you're on Mac, you can use a combination of iPhone backup extractor and iPhone explorer to do this, and you don't need to be jailbroken. You can also recover a lot of other data this way as well.[/QUOTE]

Ah iPhone explorer, that's the name.

Thanks!

Woohoo! Definitely in for Game Dev Story at 99 cents. I missed it last time, and had enjoyed the demo. Definitely going to fire it up later today.

Crap, My 32GB iPhone 4 only has .04GB of space left after I synced it this morning. I suppose I could get rid of a few albums that I barely listen to, but dammit I really need a 160GB iPhone... Can't help it, I REALLY LOVE MUSIC and buy at least two or three albums a week.

Yeah I have GameDev Story on my Droid (which I will lose once I get my Verizon iPhone =( ) and it is extremely entertaining. I won't be rebuying it as I got a significant amount of use out of it, but definitely recommend it to anyone. I can't wait for The Game Dealer and GameDev Story 2 to come out. Those games will also be a blast =D.

[quote name='nasum']Crap, My 32GB iPhone 4 only has .04GB of space left after I synced it this morning. I suppose I could get rid of a few albums that I barely listen to, but dammit I really need a 160GB iPhone... Can't help it, I REALLY LOVE MUSIC and buy at least two or three albums a week.[/QUOTE]

Ever consider something like AudioGalaxy? Free streaming of music from your home with an app. Then just keep your essential music on your iPhone and stream everything else. Assuming you have a decent data plan.

http://www.audiogalaxy.com

Not exactly a sale, but there is a free ad-supported version. Anyway, Disc Drivin' is actually pretty darned fun. Read the help first or you'll likely be confused, or at least missing out on the power ups and how to activate and use them. It's a turn-based (including asynchronous online, with notifications) disc sliding racing game. Umm... you just have to try it, and you might as well since the ad version is free (but those ads are pretty obnoxious. Hopefully the paid version goes on sale....)

I am user "Crunc" in the game. Feel free to start a game up with me:

Free version: http://appshopper.com/games/disc-drivin-free

Paid (2.99): http://appshopper.com/games/disc-drivin

[quote name='crunchewy']Not exactly a sale, but there is a free ad-supported version. Anyway, Disc Drivin' is actually pretty darned fun. Read the help first or you'll likely be confused, or at least missing out on the power ups and how to activate and use them. It's a turn-based (including asynchronous online, with notifications) disc sliding racing game. Umm... you just have to try it, and you might as well since the ad version is free (but those ads are pretty obnoxious. Hopefully the paid version goes on sale....)

I am user "Crunc" in the game. Feel free to start a game up with me:

Free version: http://appshopper.com/games/disc-drivin-free

Paid (2.99): http://appshopper.com/games/disc-drivin[/QUOTE]
Game seems decent enough. What's the online like? Do you play the whole game in one sitting or can i move and come back later like in Words With Friends?

And I'll friend you or whatever so we can play.

League of evil released tonight for .99 and it's awesome. It's a pixel art style platformer like super meat boy or n+. I highly recommend it for a buck. Toucharcade has a review on it on their front page if you want more Info.

Also, not a game but "The Daily", a newspaper/mag, released it's first issue today for the iPad. Its pretty cool to play with and see what the future could hold for print media on the iPad. You get it free for 2 weeks and it's 40 bucks for a year of dailies.

New FAAD offerings include:
Doodle Evil Fly (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/doodle-evil-fly/id386595237?mt=8)
"Now, everything changed to EVIL style!
Doodle Evil Fly is a parody of the original game - A Doodle Fly. With everything changed to EVIL style, now you are not an idiot anymore. You are an EVIL!!
Fly to the Moon, EAT the Moon Rabbits!
Launch your own evil character into the sky and make use of the items like evil rockets, evil banana ship and hell car to go as far as you can. Upgrade the items will help you fly further during the flight. With an addictive gameplay and a FUN, HILARIOUS and EVIL Doodle style, Doodle Evil Fly will just make you LAUGH!"

Solitaire Deluxe
(http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/solitaire-deluxe/id387301602?mt=8)
"Solitaire Deluxe® is free for the first time ever!
Play unlimited hands in the 16-game “Solitaire Arcade” and earn rewards fast. Or, play ad-free “Winnable Deals” which are updated daily. Get bonus rewards when you come back every day!
16 GAMES
Klondike, FreeCell, Spider, Pyramid, Tri-Peaks, Chinese Solitaire, Scorpion, Yukon, Golf, Canfield, Kings Corner, Vanishing Cross, Spiderette, Poker, Russian Solitaire and The Harp."

The new OpenFeint freebie is Flick Kick Field Goal Kickoff (http://itunes.apple.com/app/flick-kick-field-goal-kickoff/id414544336?mt=8).
"Intense Field Goal Kicking that will keep you coming back for more. The roar of the crowd, the taste of victory. Do you have what it takes to bring it home for your team?
BONUS - Play Kickoff and win cool Football prizes! Unlock the 'In to Win' OpenFeint Achievement and you could win an autographed jersey from the Steelers or Packers Quarterback!"

The FREEmium Zombie Isle from Glu (Gun Bros) is now available in the U.S. (http://itunes.apple.com/app/zombie-isle/id394872093?mt=8#).
"Seek endless fortune and adventure in ZOMBIE ISLE!
Live the life of a sea-faring, swashbuckling pirate as you captain your vessel and crew of zombie scallywags across uncharted waters. Explore the high seas and discover islands to find buried treasure -- in addition to gold, food, and supplies, you'll be able to seek out over 100 unique and valuable objects. Be on your guard though; the perils of rival pirates will stand between you and your plunder, so arm your ship with the finest zombie crew and send your rivals to the bottom of the sea. Hoist the Jolly Roger and chart a course for Zombie Isle!"

Also, Kick Buttowski has finally made its FREE way over to the U.S. App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/app/kick-buttowski-loco-launcho/id399845380?mt=8).
"Go the farthest distance, reach the highest heights and perform the most death-defying stunts! Fly through rings, collect stars and earn WOW points to upgrade your vehicle! With each new stunt, you can build your Confidence, Awesomeness and learn sweet new Tricks!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']
The new OpenFeint freebie is Flick Kick Field Goal Kickoff (http://itunes.apple.com/app/flick-kick-field-goal-kickoff/id414544336?mt=8).
"Intense Field Goal Kicking that will keep you coming back for more. The roar of the crowd, the taste of victory. Do you have what it takes to bring it home for your team?
BONUS - Play Kickoff and win cool Football prizes! Unlock the 'In to Win' OpenFeint Achievement and you could win an autographed jersey from the Steelers or Packers Quarterback!"
[/QUOTE]

DUDE, get this game. I got the prequel to this one when it was free last year, and I was addicted to it for weeks. It's so simple, but so addicting. Great for very short bursts of play.

I was number 2 for a while in Flick Kick at 100+ points. I'm sure that's been blown away now.

That game is awesome.
Their soccer version is even better.

[quote name='Stimes']I guess Devil May Cry 4 is out now for iPod with a intro price of $1.99 it looks good

http://appshopper.com/games/devil-may-cry-4-refrain[/QUOTE]

Nice, just grabbed it, will post impressions later. Considering it was supposed to be $6.99, this seems like a damn good deal.

-edit- So played it for about 10 minutes and so far I'd say go for it at $1.99. It definitely feels like Devil May Cry, though watered down. Not the most visually impressive offering on the iPhone but a good mobile version of the series.

A few things disappoint me, it's a 155 mb file, so not too big but they use all stills during story parts of the game and some in-engine stuff. It would have been cool if they used a bit of the CGI from the console version here and there, though that would have bumped up the size substantially, but even at the intro and end would have been enough.

Controls and framerate both seem smooth, the combat does have more depth than you might expect, though guns and sword are now 1 button with gun triggered at close proximity and guns at a distance. Enemies are reminiscent of the console version but lack detail ... think Dead Rising on iphone rather than Infinity Blade. Rooms are empty and large ... if anything this actually makes me a bit sad because I feel like the original Devil May Cry would have been a more solid re-imagining on iphone, both having a better story and graphics that would have been on par with the original, rather than obviously rebuilding DMC4 from the ground up for iPhone.

Bottom line, if it were $6.99 I would say wait ... but at $1.99 it feels like a solid attempt at Devil May Cry on the iphone and is worth the money, even if the genre isn't the best suited for iPhone given that this is a button masher on a device sans buttons.

I'm gonna pass on DMC. I'm a huge fan of the series, but that portable version is basically DMC 4 remade for iPhone. Same levels, bosses, main characters. If it was a new experience, I DEF would've bought.

I might go in on the NFL game on friday tho. That sounds like a decent deal. I'll try the free version first to see if I like it on my iPod Touch.

Oh and I just pre-ordered my iPhone 4 for Verizon! WOOOOO! :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back