iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='etcrane']Is the iPad version of GTA worth it if I have the iPhone version? I never really play the iPhone version because I found it hard to control, is the iPad version a step up for those of you who have played it?[/QUOTE]

So I tried out both lite and hd lite versions of GTA CTW because I wanted to know what version I should buy and the main difference between the controls is driving you get the in/out of a car button as little circle to the right with your other buttons rather than a big button on the bottom middle witch you have to move your hand on the iPad to hit. I feel like I have more control of the cars while in HD the standard version the cars seemed to go all over the place at times. The standard version was very blurry and hurt my eyes on the iPad. I say double dip bro.

You can also move the in/out button to the left above the steering, actually 4 different layouts on iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Stimes']So I tried out both lite and hd lite versions of GTA CTW because I wanted to know what version I should buy and the main difference between the controls is driving you get the in/out of a car button as little circle to the right with your other buttons rather than a big button on the bottom middle witch you have to move your hand on the iPad to hit. I feel like I have more control of the cars while in HD the standard version the cars seemed to go all over the place at times. The standard version was very blurry and hurt my eyes on the iPad. I say double dip bro.[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks for the impression, think I'll pick it up since the graphics are enhanced as well

Master of Gomoku is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/master-of-gomoku/id367543679?mt=8#).
"Master of Gomoku is a strategy board game where you try to get 5 of your stones in a row before the other player. It has 4 levels of AI to play against the computer and 2 player/multiplayer modes as well. The journey is easy to begin, but hard to master. Can you become a Master of Gomoku?
Play multiplayer head-to-head games using Bump! Just bump your devices together and play. Requires Internet connection (3G, EDGE, WIFI)."

I just want to inform to webmaster friends, do you want to sale you product and service. Don’t be hesitated that imerchant.com website will be give you free service to sale your product and service. You need first signup them and get benefit from imerchant.com site. iMerchant is revolutionary. It is a service that takes an existing database of customers and its goal is to convert then to monthly recurring income. In a nutshell, iMerchant takes a one-time SALE and makes that sale GO MONTHLY! Using iMerchant, businesses now have the ability to produce ONGOING revenue from existing customer sources!

Offer your products and services for FREE and get PAID. Receive instant and recurring revenue for products and services you currently promote.

iMerchant is a payment and bundling platform which provides you with a secondary income stream to monetize your existing traffic, brings you additional traffic sources and pays you to give your product away for FREE! Offer certificates and discounts for your existing product or service and get PAID. Offer a discount to your product or service and GET PAID! about the revolutionary service. Turn your 1 time sales and turn them into monthly recurring revenue. If you will get signup with imerchant with the link imerchant.com/webmaster.cgi website than imerchant will be give monthly basis website payment. But other directories will pay 50USD only one time.

The newly-released Flying Hamster is supposed to be the OpenFeint Friday Fire Sale (.99) title, but it's price hasn't been modified yet in the App Store. In the meantime, you can try out the free, lite version to see if you want to purchase the full game when it does drop in price (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flying-hamster-free/id412429087?mt=8).
"Take control of Newton, the Flying Hamster in this action-frenzy horizontal shooter! Fly to save your girl across the levels full of various foes (animals, robots, aliens...) and beat the most ruthless bosses with any item you may find on your way.
FULL VERSION FEATURES:
▪ 6 unique environments packed with fun from the sunflower fields to the big Japanese city or crazy ancient Egypt
▪ 8 freaky weapons scattered among the levels (bananas, egg-bombs, beer...)
▪ 35 different enemies (sneaky penguins, anti-air cows, exploding foxes, ninja squirrels, toaster-robots...)
▪ 7 dreadful and unpredictable bosses
▪ A neat and powerful Soundtrack made from catchy tunes and killer guitar solos
▪ An unlockable Hard Mode specifically designed for veteran players
▪ 4 control modes designed for touch screen or accelerometer
▪ 40 achievements and leaderboards"

The brand-new action smasher Renoki has been re-priced as FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/renoki/id393682071?mt=8#).
"Smash away in this fast paced, action packed, hammer swinging adventure. The cuddly Renoki are invading and it’s up to you to stop them! Tap a Renoki when it emerges and make sure to not let it get away. You must smash wisely though, not all Renoki are created equal.
20 INTENSE LEVELS
Every level brings new dangers, including stronger Renoki with unique and diverse abilities. Be careful of bosses. They can soak up a lot of punishment.
UPGRADABLE WEAPONS
Collect diamonds to buy stronger and faster hammers, more health, and potions to help you in your quest.
UNLOCK ACHIEVEMENTS
Gather achievement points for great performances and flawless victories.
COMPETE WITH YOUR FRIENDS
Battle your friends for the top score through Openfeint’s leaderboards."

Could fellow CAGs that see Flying Hamster officially drop to .99 please post in this thread. I would love to grab it at that price. I'll do the same if I hear/see.

[quote name='DtotheP']Just read on toucharcade that all the nimblebit games are free. Too many to list from my phone.[/QUOTE]

Here you go, it's from 2 pages back

[quote name='Dimsdale']All the NimbleBit titles are currently available for FREE (links courtesy of Touch Arcade):
Mega Panda, Free (Universal)
Pocket Frogs, Free (Universal)
Dizzypad - Frog Jump Fun, Free
Dizzypad HD, Free (iPad Only)
Fishtropolis - Word Fun for Everyone, Free
Moon Drop, Free
Bluebird, Free
Sky Burger, Free
Kyper, Free
Textropolis, Free
Threads, Free
Scoops - Ice Cream Fun For Everyone, Free
Hanoi Plus, Free
Omium - 2 Player Shooter, Free (iPad Only)[/QUOTE]

In for Stardunk Gold, but I haven't really played the free version much, so I don't know why.

Reiner Knizia's Through the Desert HD, which is actually universal, and even though there is a non-universal version as well, has dropped to $2.99: http://appshopper.com/games/reiner-knizias-through-the-desert-hd

That's the lowest price since release. It's not noted as a sale, so this might be permanent. Hard to say. Also worth noting: it has online, but you can't play across versions. I say, everybody should get the universal one. It's stupid that they are keeping the non-universal one in the store, but I suppose they have to now.

That guide for Game Dev Story is great, but it didn't mention anything about the energy boosts, whatever they are called. Is there some way to give you staff more energy without using that?

Haha I love this thread. Just downloaded Sky Burger and Stardunk Gold to my girlfriend's iPhone. Boy is she gonna be happy :lol:

Real Racing HD is on sale for half off right now ($4.99) for all you iPad racing enthusiasts (http://itunes.apple.com/app/real-racing-hd/id363998989?mt=8).
"Real Racing HD offers the most realistic racing experience available on iPad. With all the content of the iPhone version plus enhanced features, graphics and gameplay to take full advantage of what iPad and iOS4.2 are capable of, this is hand-held racing like you’ve never seen before. Are you ready for all the excitement, competition and glory that only real championship racing can deliver?"

EDIT: Real Racing 2 has also just dropped to $4.99 so iPhone racers won't feel left out (http://itunes.apple.com/app/real-racing-2/id386568787?mt=8).
"Get ready for the most exhilarating handheld racing experience! Take control of 30 officially licensed cars, each with unique performance characteristics. Feel the thrill of authentic pack racing action in an incredible 16-car grid – the first on iOS!"

Another EDIT: The original Real Racing is now on sale for its lowest-ever price of $1.99 for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/real-racing/id318366258?mt=8).
"UPDATED TO SUPPORT ONLINE MULTIPLAYER THROUGH GAME CENTER
Experience all of the excitement, competition and glory of championship racing. This is handheld racing like you've never seen before, in the most stunning, realistic and intuitive racer on iPhone and iPod touch. Get Real Racing today, and find out what everyone is raving about!"

[quote name='dubbfoolio']Anyone recommend any of the nimblebit titles?[/QUOTE]

I played Textropolis back when it was free about a year ago. Fun word game. I just downloaded Fishtropolis, which looks like the same sort of game.

Pocket Frogs has reviewed really well, but these aquarium apps with in-app purchases just rub me the wrong way. Ah well, doesn't hurt if it's free :)

Scoops and Sky Burger are ok. My wife and son had fun with them. I lost interest fairly quickly.

The none-too-subtly named Ow My Balls! has dropped to FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ow-my-balls/id306241251?mt=8).
"Ow My Balls! is a complete entertainment package that brings top shelf kicked-in-the-crotch humor to the iPhone and iPod touch. It is one of the funniest apps in the App Store and the ONLY one that lets you kick a dude in the balls!
Kick Joe the Juggler from a ledge above the city and try to rack his balls on as many targets as you can. Ignite fart jetpacks to gain altitude and hit the most targets. Complete achievements and watch hilarious videos of.. you guessed it."

[quote name='Dimsdale']The none-too-subtly named Ow My Balls! has dropped to FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ow-my-balls/id306241251?mt=8).
"Ow My Balls! is a complete entertainment package that brings top shelf kicked-in-the-crotch humor to the iPhone and iPod touch. It is one of the funniest apps in the App Store and the ONLY one that lets you kick a dude in the balls!
Kick Joe the Juggler from a ledge above the city and try to rack his balls on as many targets as you can. Ignite fart jetpacks to gain altitude and hit the most targets. Complete achievements and watch hilarious videos of.. you guessed it."[/QUOTE]

Lol, awesome. Blue Balls is also on sale for free.

http://appshopper.com/games/blue-balls

[quote name='INCyr']Man, even with this help, I feel like I can't quite get my head around the game. The games I make keep sucking.[/QUOTE]
My games didn't get good until like Year 15.

The latest OpenFeint freebie is Sheepernova (http://itunes.apple.com/app/sheepernova/id408783066?mt=8).
"Your sheep are lost in space and they haven’t got a hope without your help! Guide your flock past planets, suns and meteors to get them back safe and sound. Sheepernova combines accurate physics with addictive action-puzzle based gameplay and precise touch controls.
• Compete with your friends for the highest scores through Game Center and OpenFeint
• Hours of Challenging Physics based gameplay
• Replay levels to collect stars, increase your score and unlock achievements
• Five gameplay modes and over 100 levels to complete
• High resolution retina display graphics"

A couple of very decent virtual guitars are on sale for .99 each right now:
The electric simulation iShred (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ishred/id301203136?mt=8)
"★★★★★ The electric guitar used on Atomic Tom's live subway video: http://$$$$$$$/iShredAtomic and seen on Galileo TV.
iShred starts with a set of high-fidelity guitar samples, then feeds them through eight exciting effects pedals and an overdriven amp simulator. Whether you want a clean trebly surf sound, a spacey rock lead, or an all-out metal assault, iShred delivers the goods."

And its acoustic companion app GuitarStudio (http://itunes.apple.com/app/guitarstudio/id291921788?mt=8)
"Learn and play your favorite songs with Guitar, the amazing acoustic guitar app for your iPhone or iPod touch. More than just a virtual fretboard, Guitar is an instrument optimized for performance. You can perform songs with any combination of chords and melodies on Guitar's highly playable and easy-to-use interface."

Also from the same makers is the virtual piano app called PianoStudio (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pianostudio/id319355218?mt=8#), part of the .99 sale from Frontier Design Group.
"Featuring a unique and truly playable interface designed specifically for the iPhone, PianoStudio lets you compose and perform complex songs that are impossible to play with other apps that limit you to tiny keyboards with limited ranges.
PianoStudio is the first piano app for the iPhone and iPod touch that helps you explore musical ideas, learn songs, write your own tunes, and even play along with your iTunes music.
By placing individual notes, entire chords, and even complete musical phrases onto a set of buttons that you can arrange and play, you can write and perform real piano music with chord progressions, "two-handed" patterns, and melodies in Allegro, all right on your iPhone or iPod touch."

In for paid Disc Drivin' at 99 cents. I'm really liking it a lot, even though the notifications and chat are kind of wonky. The dev is aware, though, and promising improvements there. Even with that it's still a really fun game. I highly recommend it. I'm "crunc" in the game. Send me a game request.

[quote name='crunchewy']In for paid Disc Drivin' at 99 cents. I'm really liking it a lot, even though the notifications and chat are kind of wonky. The dev is aware, though, and promising improvements there. Even with that it's still a really fun game. I highly recommend it. I'm "crunc" in the game. Send me a game request.[/QUOTE]
I'm giving Disc Drivin’ a test drive before I take the inevitable .99 upgrade plunge. I invite anyone to ping your pal Dimsdale if you want to race.

In other news, one of my favorite casual football time-wasters, Backbreaker Football, is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/backbreaker-football/id330281895?mt=8).
"Backbreaker Football brings next-gen console technology to the iPhone. Incredibly fluid animation (using NaturalMotion’s morpheme engine), bone-crunching tackles (based on endorphin simulation technology), a stunning 3D stadium and multi-angle instant replays. Show what your iPhone or iPod touch can REALLY do!"

One of my favorite casual football time-wasters, Backbreaker Football, is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/backbreaker-football/id330281895?mt=8).
"Backbreaker Football brings next-gen console technology to the iPhone. Incredibly fluid animation (using NaturalMotion’s morpheme engine), bone-crunching tackles (based on endorphin simulation technology), a stunning 3D stadium and multi-angle instant replays. Show what your iPhone or iPod touch can REALLY do!"

Is there anything in the app store (non jailbroken phone here) that will let me stream my iTunes library to my phone over 3G?

[quote name='javeryh']Is there anything in the app store (non jailbroken phone here) that will let me stream my iTunes library to my phone over 3G?[/QUOTE]
StreamToMe. That does streaming of more than just the iTunes library but if I remember correctly it does have an iTunes plugin portion.

[quote name='zeb06']Any opinions on Real Racing and Real Racing 2?[/QUOTE]
I really enjoyed the original and bought the second one today as soon as I got the email... I have yet to play RR2 (installing now), but I would be surprised if it wasn't awesome.

[quote name='zeb06']Any opinions on Real Racing and Real Racing 2?[/QUOTE]

imho, real racing 2 is a noticeable improvement over real racing. so if you can only get one, get the second. the game is in its own class.

the only thing that could stop a reasonable interested person from clicking *buy* on real racing 2, is the whole issue of whether iphone games should cost *that* much/why not wait 'til it falls further. i personally feel that $5 is more than fair given that firemint spent $2 mil, 1.5 yrs, and lots of love working on real racing 2. just me.

NFL 2011 has dropped to .99 just in time for Super Sunday (http://itunes.apple.com/app/nfl-2011/id360184660?mt=8).
"**OPTIMIZED FOR iPHONE 4! High-definition graphics that fully utilize the iPhone 4 Retina display**
Football is back on your iPhone/iPod touch for the 2010/2011 season with improved graphics and plenty of new features!
From the Saints to the Colts, Peyton Manning and Adrian Peterson to Tony Romo, experience one of the most accomplished football simulations on the App Store."

After you're done analyzing the playbooks for the Packers and the Steelers, you may want to have a go at the puzzler Collider! while it's still FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/collider/id376129315?mt=8#).
"Thank goodness you’re finally here. There’s been a... “miscalculation” at the power plant and it’s not pretty. There are charged particles all over the place and we need a top scientist like yourself to figure out how to neutralize them, and fast.
Here’s what you’re dealing with:
- A lab with 25 explosive puzzles will keep you addicted!
- Get all positive and negative particle balls to collide and explode!
- Drop, bounce, swing, roll, flip and more with real physics!
- Use pipes, ropes, springs, switches, gears, and much, much more!
- More experiments coming soon!"

[quote name='mcdaking84']any recommendations for a chess app? Ive only been playing for a month but I'm starting to get good[/QUOTE]
I don't know how good it is, but Chess at ICC is FREE and it gives you the opportunity to play against a computer or live opponents (http://itunes.apple.com/app/chess-at-icc/id380526850?mt=8).
""Chess at ICC" is the best online chess experience there is. Join our vibrant community of players, ranging from beginners to Grandmasters - all ready for you to watch, play or learn from, 24 hours a day!
Founded in 1995 we're the longest running online chess site in the world!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']NFL 2011 has dropped to .99 just in time for Super Sunday (http://itunes.apple.com/app/nfl-2011/id360184660?mt=8).
"**OPTIMIZED FOR iPHONE 4! High-definition graphics that fully utilize the iPhone 4 Retina display**
Football is back on your iPhone/iPod touch for the 2010/2011 season with improved graphics and plenty of new features!
From the Saints to the Colts, Peyton Manning and Adrian Peterson to Tony Romo, experience one of the most accomplished football simulations on the App Store."[/QUOTE]

Posted a couple of days ago, the sale ends this sunday.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Heads up.

https://twitter.com/gameloft/status/32954948010516480

[US Only] In celebration of Super Bowl, NFL 2011 will be on sale for just $0.99
starting this Friday @ 6 PM PST! Ends Sunday @ midnight!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nfl-2011/id360184660?mt=8[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jgiovanni']Anyone know if the Dead Space game is any good?[/QUOTE]

Great game. If you like dead space 1this game is in the same spirit

[quote name='Rollobobo']YES!!! Thanks you fellow CAGs. A nice present for myself! Grab this people, its a steal at this price. Woot! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
Your testifying made me give it a look, and I'm definitely snatching it up. I look quirky shmups!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back