iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

thank you guys so much for the continual updates. i, too, have been a lurker. i am waiting for Dead Space, Infinity Blade & (now) NBA Jam to go on sale, but atm i have purchased (just in last 2 days) -
NFS Hot Pursuit
BF:BC2
Shadow Guardian
Street Fighter IV
Phoenix Wright
Caster (free).

i never use my itouch now, but these are great to have when i return to work. i've bought MANY more apps (probably over 30$+) just from this thread, and from your opinions' in the last 4-5 months. i've tried every game i've bought (except the ones i just listed), & haven't felt i've wasted any money yet. just want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this topic (info & deals), as you all help many of us save alot of money. thanks again.

These fucking deals!

I bought RE4:platinum and SFIV yesterday.

Going to probably pick up a few more, anyone have any GOOD SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks

Downloaded NBA Jam and SFIV. If you're on the fence about NBA Jam for full price, it's worth it. I was playing for hours. The controls can be irritating from time to time, but overall it's a blast.

I've only played about 30 minutes of Legendary Wars but I can definitely recommend it for a buck. Sometimes the controls are a little screwy but for the most part they're not that bad.

Picked up SFIV and Phoenix Wright. I'm a huge fan of SSFIV, so getting a portable version of it to kill time while I'm sitting around waiting to pick my brother up from school will be amazing. I've never played Phoenix Wright before, but I've heard really good things about it. For a buck, can't beat it. I played through the first case and it's definitely a funny little title. Screens are a bit small, but it translated well over to the iPhone.

[quote name='Stimes']In for Palm Heroes, been on my wish list for a while, thanks Darknuke[/QUOTE]

glad to help =).

Anyone know if Galaxy on Fire 2 has ever gone on sale? I want that game SO bad, but at $10, it's a little too pricey for my taste.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']Boo on 7th Guest if the sale is over. I held off until I could get home from work. Bad move.[/QUOTE]

If it was due to the size and lack of wifi you could have gifted it to yourself.

The castlevania game for the iPod is Columns but in the SOTN universe basically. It's a good game except for the controls are real real sensitive and it's super super easy to fuck up a move.

[quote name='CONMAN999']I've only played about 30 minutes of Legendary Wars but I can definitely recommend it for a buck. Sometimes the controls are a little screwy but for the most part they're not that bad.[/QUOTE]

Alright, you've convinced me. Downloading now. Thanks for pushing me off the fence.

World of Goo might be my first iPad game. Don't have one yet so I haven't bought any games for obvious reason but I get the feeling we won't see it on sale again. Thoughts? Should I just wait? It is only a buck after all.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']World of Goo might be my first iPad game. Don't have one yet so I haven't bought any games for obvious reason but I get the feeling we won't see it on sale again. Thoughts? Should I just wait? It is only a buck after all.[/QUOTE]

If you think you're seriously going get an iPad, I'd grab it now. I know I grabbed a ton of stuff before I got mine.

[quote name='gage006']If you think you're seriously going get an iPad, I'd grab it now. I know I grabbed a ton of stuff before I got mine.[/QUOTE]
I'm an iDevice nut. I have 3 iPod touches, a 6th gen nano, and a classic ipod. I have every intention of getting an iPad as soon as it's up to my minimum standards. Assuming the 2G has a larger storage capacity (128GB minimum) and Retina display at least I'm in.

EDIT: Forgot about my new Verizon iPhone lol.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I'm an iDevice nut. I have 3 iPod touches, a 6th gen nano, and a classic ipod. I have every intention of getting an iPad as soon as it's up to my minimum standards. Assuming the 2G has a larger storage capacity (128GB minimum) and Retina display at least I'm in.

EDIT: Forgot about my new Verizon iPhone lol.[/QUOTE]
That's not happening http://www.tested.com/news/report-apples-ipad-2-is-already-in-production/1796/

The resolution (1024x 768) is going to either stay the same or MAYBE (but highly unlikely) going to increase to 1200/900, 1280/960. And no plans to increase capacity, or add an sd card.

The high res screen is going to happen. It's just a matter of time. If not this year perhaps next year or even the year after that. I can wait. I've seen reports to the contrary about it happening for the 2G. Until Apple makes the announcement one can never really know for sure. I didn't know the Verizon iPhone was going to happen until the day it was revealed. Apple seems to do a great job keeping secrets or at least clouding themselves in a shroud of mystery. At the very least if I decide to get a 2G it better have 128GB capacity. A device that physically large has no excuse for such limited storage.

I waited for 3 years for the iPhone to come to Verizon. I can wait for this too. Especially considering the 3DS is out soon and the NGP is coming in the fall. I will surely get my fill of new toys this year.

The word puzzler Imangi has dropped to FREE for the foreseeable future (http://itunes.apple.com/app/imangi/id284899739?mt=8).
"Imangi - mind-twisting space-bending word mastery at its best. Simply slide rows and columns to create the highest-scoring arrangement of words possible."

Army Lines, an excerpt from the GameBox 2 collection, is the latest FAAD featured game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/army-lines/id395130613?mt=8).
"WWII is RAGING. the TROOPS need a GENERAL. TAKE COMMAND and CHARGE the FIELD in this ACTION-PACKED line-drawing BATTLE!
★★★★★
✓ BEAUTIFUL, highly-detailed ARTWORK
✓ action-packed LINE-DRAWING combat
✓ 11 SCENIC environments, STRETCHING the ENTIRE WESTERN BATTLEFRONT"

[quote name='Vegan']What the hell, World of Goo is back up to $5 now? I was just about to gift it to a friend.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm kind of pissed off. I was at the movies and saw that it was on sale on my phone but when I got home to my iPad it was back to $4.99...

Kinda bullshit....

I need some help. I bought street fighter for iPhone but it was downloading until a message pop up and notify that I don't have enough space, so the item went away on screen and I can't download it anymore even though my purchase history shows I bought it but I rebooted the iPhone and still no show.

[quote name='Nealocus123']Yeah I'm kind of pissed off. I was at the movies and saw that it was on sale on my phone but when I got home to my iPad it was back to $4.99...

Kinda bullshit....[/QUOTE]

I felt this way about 7th guest. What kind on sale only goes for only a few hours in the middle of the damn weekday?

[quote name='ViolentLee']It's from DQ VIII, the fabled Puff Puff Room!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9sv6nvSwPc

It was just too silly to not put as my avatar for a while. :)[/QUOTE]

OF COURSE~! Such amazing memories...I haven't been back to that game in probably 4 years since I've been playing all the rest. Need to go back...

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']The castlevania game for the iPod is Columns but in the SOTN universe basically. It's a good game except for the controls are real real sensitive and it's super super easy to fuck up a move.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! I was going to get this since I love Castlevania games, but it doesn't sound so great...if there's a demo I'll try that out first.

[quote name='ryosnk']I need some help. I bought street fighter for iPhone but it was downloading until a message pop up and notify that I don't have enough space, so the item went away on screen and I can't download it anymore even though my purchase history shows I bought it but I rebooted the iPhone and still no show.[/QUOTE]

You can re-download it from the beginning. It won't charge you again. Just go into iTunes and click to "buy" the app and then a message will pop up telling you that you have already purchased it and ask you to download again for free.

[quote name='ryosnk']I need some help. I bought street fighter for iPhone but it was downloading until a message pop up and notify that I don't have enough space, so the item went away on screen and I can't download it anymore even though my purchase history shows I bought it but I rebooted the iPhone and still no show.[/QUOTE]

You'll need to free up space, then re-download it from the app store, you won't be charged again. Actually, you might need to download it to your comp first, then sideload it, which is generally the way to go with these big apps anyway.

Any comments about Street Fighter IV? I'm not a lover of fighting games, still, the game has very good comments and it's on #1 spot. Should I just control myself and pass? Or buy?

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Dungeon Defenders: First Wave dropped to $1.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dungeon-defenders-first-wave/id404296113?mt=8

Does anyone have an opinion on it? It looks pretty sweet (besides the reports of crashing).[/QUOTE]

I'm an early adopter. The game itself is good, but Trendy Entertainment is getting bad rep with their updates:

• 2.0 Took a while to go live (over two weeks), and when it got released it had several crashes (well, for some people, never really had an issue, but then I didn't play that often).
  • 3.0 When it was on revision to get published, seems that Apple found some crashes that Trendy Entertainment could not reproduce, so eventually this version got skipped in favor of the next one
  • 4.0 After more waiting, this one got live, and tons of people got their character deleted because of some sort of bug when they opened the game. I believe that Trendy Entertainment is making up for this to those that lost their characters, tho.

Still, $0.99 is a bargain, should probably get it (just keep in mind the text above).

[quote name='Nealocus123']Yeah I'm kind of pissed off. I was at the movies and saw that it was on sale on my phone but when I got home to my iPad it was back to $4.99...

Kinda bullshit....[/QUOTE]

It was a one day sale for yesterday only, and it was stated as such. Why are you pissed off at them for telling the truth? Nobody thought it would ever drop below $5. You should have jumped on it during the CLEARLY STATED sale period.

I'm considering Galaga Remix for 99 cents. Anyone tried it?

[quote name='super_dawn']
Thanks for the heads up! I was going to get this since I love Castlevania games, but it doesn't sound so great...if there's a demo I'll try that out first.[/QUOTE]
Depends how well you do on touch screen games, the game itself if great and I would easily buy it on PSN. The touch screen is really easy to misjudge moves on especially when you have to swipe down to make the move go faster which is the the idea and I was often missing or making incorrect moves because of the touchscreen which was fucking up my game.

Also sword and poker is fantastic. I defiantly got my $3 out of the game there.

[quote name='crunchewy']It was a one day sale for yesterday only, and it was stated as such. Why are you pissed off at them for telling the truth? Nobody thought it would ever drop below $5. You should have jumped on it during the CLEARLY STATED sale period.[/QUOTE]

I bought goo for $5 and was kind of mad it went to a dollar but I think a one day deal should last 24 hrs not just be a sale for people who don't go to work or school.

More EA drops for iPad:

Rock Band Reloaded for iPad $9.99-> $4.99
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit $9.99->$4.99
Monopoly for iPad $9.99->$4.99
Risk for iPad $6.99 -> $2.99
Sim City for iPad $6.99 -> $2.99

I picked up World of Goo for future iPad ownership. Don't think I'll get iPad 2, since I'm holding out for iPhone 5 this summer (dual cores baby!). Plus there are rumors that Apple is moving the release cycle of the iPad to coincide with iPods; this would mean they would release 2 iPads this year (both 2 and 3). Maybe that higher res screen will come then. But 128gb? Not anytime soon imo. Oh, have you guys heard the rumors about the iPhone Nano: :D

How good is 7th guest?

Wish NBA Jam wasn't an iPhone game. Need an iPad version ASAP.

That or my employer let's me switch back to an iPhone -.-

Back on topic, World of Goo is great. Didn't get very far for it on PC because when I'm on my PC I'd rather play real games but man that game is PERFECT for iPad.

[quote name='prayformojo']Any thoughts on Rock Band Reloaded for iPad?[/QUOTE]

It's not as good as the original. I'm hoping Rock Band Revolution is better ;)

[quote name='gage006']Wish NBA Jam wasn't an iPhone game. Need an iPad version ASAP.

That or my employer let's me switch back to an iPhone -.-

Back on topic, World of Goo is great. Didn't get very far for it on PC because when I'm on my PC I'd rather play real games but man that game is PERFECT for iPad.[/QUOTE]

The iPhone version isn't bad on the ipad, just that the graphics look a little pixelated when expanded to full screen. I prefer this over the 360 version with the non-classic controls.

[quote name='Darknuke']It's not as good as the original. I'm hoping Rock Band Revolution is better ;)[/QUOTE]

What's different about them?

I'm highly tempted by this one (for iphone). My fiance and I both own iphones and could see breaking this out when we both have time to kill with the bluetooth connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back