iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

Seriously ... and people crap on Gameloft for their "terrible" games ... and then we get some of these "Indie" apps that look absolutely atrocious ... I mean, really, what do you call those if Gameloft games are so awful?

I've gotten to the point where I will blatantly judge a game by the 5 images that are previewed and if it looks like it was designed by a team of 3rd graders and has at least 1 bad review, I just pass on it. There are way way too many options on the App store to download every free game that gets posted on here and lord knows they aren't all 'keepers.'

[quote name='etcrane']Seriously ... and people crap on Gameloft for their "terrible" games ... and then we get some of these "Indie" apps that look absolutely atrocious ... I mean, really, what do you call those if Gameloft games are so awful?

I've gotten to the point where I will blatantly judge a game by the 5 images that are previewed and if it looks like it was designed by a team of 3rd graders and has at least 1 bad review, I just pass on it. There are way way too many options on the App store to download every free game that gets posted on here and lord knows they aren't all 'keepers.'[/QUOTE]

Haha, I agree 100%. If you're complaining about getting a "terrible" game from Gameloft on sale for $1, then you've lost perspective.

I (more-or-less) do the same thing when deciding whether to download an app or not, although a CAG recommendation will often change my mind.

Mirrors Edge is $.99 again for iPhone

http://itunes.apple.com/app/mirrors-edge/id378977849?mt=8

TheSlayers is free and has good reviews

War is unavoidable between the two races. Become a hero and lead your people to victory!
Control your hero character to cast magic and slay enemies.
In order to win, you must kill your enemies to collect mana and produce units to conquer your enemy’s castle.
Your enemies will become stronger. Collect gold and upgrade your units.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/theslayers/id382040397?mt=8

iBasket Pro HD is free with good reviews - iPad

http://itunes.apple.com/app/ibasket-pro-hd/id381504018?mt=8

Alright so Verizon took away my call blocking when I got my iPhone and now wants me to pay $5 a month for the privelage. Anyone know of an app that can do this? Kinda ticked at Verizon about it and may just give them an unpleasent call. I keep getting calls from telemarketers looking for someone else. I've told them they have the wrong number but they don't listen. So frustrating I've been getting calls every day now that my number is not blocked. :(

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Alright so Verizon took away my call blocking when I got my iPhone and now wants me to pay $5 a month for the privelage. Anyone know of an app that can do this? Kinda ticked at Verizon about it and may just give them an unpleasent call. I keep getting calls from telemarketers looking for someone else. I've told them they have the wrong number but they don't listen. So frustrating I've been getting calls every day now that my number is not blocked. :([/QUOTE]

Get used to it. Verizon charges you for everything and works as hard as they can to force you to take on all sorts of features you do not want. Me and my wife went recently to look at upgrading our phones and pretty much every damn phone required you to sign up for a 3G and texting plan.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Alright so Verizon took away my call blocking when I got my iPhone and now wants me to pay $5 a month for the privelage. Anyone know of an app that can do this? Kinda ticked at Verizon about it and may just give them an unpleasent call. I keep getting calls from telemarketers looking for someone else. I've told them they have the wrong number but they don't listen. So frustrating I've been getting calls every day now that my number is not blocked. :([/QUOTE]
Not possible through an app, blocking calls must be done at the carrier level or be implemented in the phone os. Unfortunately your best bet is to either:
1) Pay the $5 a month (a total rip, blocking numbers should be a standard and free feature on all carriers since it reduces bandwidth and wasting minutes)
2) Save the unwanted callers as contacts and set their ringtone to silent. I don't have an iPhone so I don't know if you can set individual contacts to silent or not... you may have to download a silent ringtone instead.

I get at least three calls a day from the same bs auto caller, it likes to leave an empty voice mail as well. On my phone I went with option #2 and clear out the voicemails every so often.

If you don't mind jailbreaking, then iblacklist might work for you. $12 to purchase the app and no monthly fee. There's a trial version if you want to try it. Someone else might have a better suggestion. Good luck.

I've jailbroken my iPod touches and was planning on JBing my phone once it's available for iOS 4.3 after it releases. Going to snag MiWi for it as well since paying monthly fees for tethering is insane. Thanks for the tip.

I've gotten some telemarketer call before and I call them back and it gives me the option to get removed of their stupid list. I have done it about 3 or 4 times and I have not received a call in a long time. I also got in the habit of not answering the phone if my caller ID doesn't recognize it.

[quote name='eliter1']I've gotten some telemarketer call before and I call them back and it gives me the option to get removed of their stupid list. I have done it about 3 or 4 times and I have not received a call in a long time. I also got in the habit of not answering the phone if my caller ID doesn't recognize it.[/QUOTE]
I've talked to them about removing me at least 4 times now and they continue to call. I saved all 4 numbers they have called me from in my book and now whenever I see "Wrong Number" come up I just ignore it. Still annoying though.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Isn't Gun Bros. always free? Thought it was free+IAP?[/QUOTE]

Oh... yeah. Guess you are right. Oh well, it's out there for anyone who didn't know. :p

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I've talked to them about removing me at least 4 times now and they continue to call. I saved all 4 numbers they have called me from in my book and now whenever I see "Wrong Number" come up I just ignore it. Still annoying though.[/QUOTE]

I used to work at a telemarketing place and when you ask them to remove you most people mark it to call you back just to be a dick.

If you can port your number to Google voice and then forward all your calls to your new cell number then you can use Google voice to block the calls. Unfortunately it costs $20 to port your number and there could be issues with breaking your contract to port the number. I haven't done anything with Google voice but I've been thinking about it. Here's a link to see the features it offers

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

I got 3 calls today 2 from the same place and now APS thinks I have an account there. I told the Car dealership that has been harassing me to take me off their list and I will be calling the authorities if I get another call. As far as APS is concerned I hope they shut that idiot's power off. Seems like my number is spreading around even more. How do you not know your own phone number? Honestly.

Helmet Hero: Head Trauma is the new FAAD featured game (http://itunes.apple.com/app/helmet-hero-head-trauma/id412379134?mt=8).
"Meet Helmet Hero - a hard-headed speed freak with who lives to break stuff! From Chainsaws to Jackhammers and Snowblowers to Hair Dryers, Helmet Hero has converted them all to wearable helmets! Use these helmets to demolish your way through 45 action-packed obstacle courses with speed, accuracy and quick reflexes!
Unleash SUPER HELMET HERO and become invincible! The more destructive you behave, the larger Helmet Hero becomes...until he completely fills the screen and becomes UNSTOPPABLE! Crush everything in your way!
String together multiple smashes to earn score multipliers that catapult your score up the leaderboards. With Game Center support you'll know exactly where you stand per level and globally."

Skitrix: The Word Game
is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/skitrix-the-word-game/id412857775?mt=8).
"Enjoy an unusual twist on classic board and computer games. Skitrix is a falling block word game like no other before! Line up the letters to make 3 to 7 letter words. The longer the words the more points you get.
Be on the look out for the Red and Blue Pills, which can erase any row or column. The Bomb will erase the row and the column where it lands."

Railroad Tycoon 2 HD is available for FREE for all you iPad enthusiasts (http://itunes.apple.com/app/railroad-tycoon-2-hd/id420364407?mt=8).
"Description If you have already played in the classic pipe puzzle game, such as "Pipe Mania" or "Pipe Dream", then you're familiar with this genre.
Game "RailRoad Tycoon 2 HD" is a development of this genre, where you have to lay a pipeline from sources to consumers of ready-made elements by their rotation in opposite directions.
If you have already played in the first part of the "Gas Tycoon", then you'll love this sequel. We tried to make the game more interesting, more beautiful, and created more and more new levels."

[quote name='etcrane']Someone needs to get sued ... I was really excited when I read that, then clicked the link ... wtf is that (no offense Dimsdale, I know you just post the deals) ... damn, I want a real railroad game on the iPad ... not whatever this is[/QUOTE]

Seriously!
I raged a bit when I clicked the link.

Not only that, but they basically reskinned the game and renamed it Oil Tycoon, Gas Tycoon, etc. Their City Tycoon game seems to have all the Tycoons. Wtf man, wtf.

So I've been reading that the optimization kind of sucks for Back to the Future on iPad. Anyone who picked it up recently have thoughts? I'm not really surprised, considering the PS3 version was laggy in some spots and a real disappointment compared to the PC version. Dunno ... Telltale seems like they make OK games but not GREAT games, just my 2 cents.

[quote name='jcp42877']Game Dev Story question....

I won GOTY in-game and, uh, where's my million dollar prize???![/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it goes right into your money but is a million really that important. A million is absolutely nothing when I played but then again maybe your early in the years yet.

[quote name='jason506']I used to work at a telemarketing place and when you ask them to remove you most people mark it to call you back just to be a dick.[/QUOTE]

Better keep that to yourself if you don't want your place of business getting swarmed by violations against the DNC listing and subsequently fined out of business.

[quote name='etcrane']Someone needs to get sued ... I was really excited when I read that, then clicked the link ... wtf is that (no offense Dimsdale, I know you just post the deals) ... damn, I want a real railroad game on the iPad ... not whatever this is[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, sorry 'bout that. I should've read the description more closely. If you want to play Stratego on your iDevice, give iStrategia a look-see:
iStrategia is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/istrategia/id406423322?mt=8).
"Behold the classics of strategic board games!
Master the battlefield and capture the flag!
Features:
● Universal application [all-device-for-one-price]
✓ Runs on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
✓ Graphics adjusted for iPad screen size
● Retina display support
✓ Enjoy HD quality
● Right formation is 50% of success
✓ Create and save your custom formation
✓ Dozens of preset formations
✓ From ultra defensive to very aggressive"

[quote name='Rollobobo']Tiny Wings is an awesome game to grab for your idevice. Its only .99 on the Itunes store.[/QUOTE]

Unless I'm missing something, 99¢ appears to be the normal price for Tiny Wings, not a sale price.
Though I do like the graphical style, looks like a children's book.

[quote name='brett2007']Unless I'm missing something, 99¢ appears to be the normal price for Tiny Wings, not a sale price.
Though I do like the graphical style, looks like a children's book.[/QUOTE]

It was more to bring the game to people's attention. No sale or anything, just some recognition to an awesome game that NEEDS to be checked out!

[quote name='Rollobobo']It was more to bring the game to people's attention. No sale or anything, just some recognition to an awesome game that NEEDS to be checked out![/QUOTE]
Tiny Wings has a really glowing endorsement from Touch Arcade as well. I may have to break my CAG "only on sale" credo and make an exception for this one. After all, it is priced at the CAG-approved magic .99 price point.

I just downloaded "Remember Me?", which quizzes you on your iPhones contact. It's kinda neat, but it's limited based on how much contact info. I got a number of repeat questions because I don't have a lot of birthdays or employers listed. I was reallying it would quiz phone numbers, but it doesn't seem like it. Might be worth a download (I've downloaded worse freebies) and I'm actually a little motivated to updated contacts.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Tiny Wings has a really glowing endorsement from Touch Arcade as well. I may have to break my CAG "only on sale" credo and make an exception for this one. After all, it is priced at the CAG-approved magic .99 price point.[/QUOTE]

Haha, .99 is the CAG price point. I can't bring myself to buy NBA Jam for Iphone because its NOT .99. Even with all the praise for it, 4.99 is too much for me. But yes, Tiny Wings is a blast. Its not often that I really get sucked into an Ipod game but this one did it!

[quote name='Dimsdale']Hmmm, sorry 'bout that. I should've read the description more closely. If you want to play Stratego on your iDevice, give iStrategia a look-see:
iStrategia is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/istrategia/id406423322?mt=8).
[/QUOTE]

The description sounds good and I was going to download this, but then saw the "screenshot". Now why would a dev put up a "screenshot" like that and nothing else, especially when the tout the retina graphics and iPad graphics? It makes me presume the game isn't even worth a free download, but I wouldn't know, because I didn't download it.

My kids aren't little babies anymore, but if yours are you may be interested in the freemium My Baby Einstein (http://itunes.apple.com/app/my-baby-einstein/id356758383?mt=8).
"Engage your baby and inspire his curiosity with beautiful images and music created to delight baby and put a smile on his face. Interact with your child with the best that Baby Einstein has to offer:
~ Get clips of your favorite Baby Einstein DVDs and open the door to a fascinating world of animals, art, shapes and colors with Videos. My Baby Einstein comes with two video packs, Baby Neptune and Baby Beethoven.
~ Introduce baby to colorful objects and images with Discovery cards. You get a set of Colors Discovery cards with the initial purchase.
~ Use a picture from your iPhone library, record your voice and customize a Discovery card made especially for your little one.
~ Capture baby’s first steps, first words, birthdays and more by creating your very own Memory book. Sync up to your Facebook account and post status updates, pictures and pages from your Memory book.
~ Preview some of the greatest songs from the Baby Einstein Music Box Orchestra from the official Definitive 100 Baby Einstein album, orchestrated for little ears to nurture a love of music."

[quote name='Dimsdale']My kids aren't little babies anymore, but if yours are you may be interested in the freemium My Baby Einstein"[/QUOTE]

Oh come on... A true CAGs disciple would take almost any free game, even if it meant updating it until they had grandkids! HaHa.

[quote name='Shimrra']How is the Sims on the iphone? Is the rate smooth? I have always been hesitant about jumping into one.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't really be able to tell, even tho I bought The Sims 3 Ambitions during the last holidays, I don't really play much, and I'm not really into The Sims to give an answer, at least of what I saw with Ambitions (which is a different flavor) it was decent (at that time it was also @ $0.99).

Here are some reviews:

http://toucharcade.com/2010/04/02/sims-3-world-adventures-arrives-in-app-store/
http://theappera.com/2010/04/19/the-sims-3-world-adventures-iphone-review-expand-your-horizon/
http://appmodo.com/17159/the-sims-3-world-adventures-review-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/

[quote name='Shimrra']How is the Sims on the iphone? Is the rate smooth? I have always been hesitant about jumping into one.[/QUOTE]

It's very good. It's reduced in scope, because it's for the iPhone, but the game plays well.

Bit on Tiny Wings (http://itunes.apple.com/app/tiny-wings/id417817520?mt=8). Very charming. Really easy to pick up and play but definitely has some timing skills and strategy to deploy. After a dozen or so plays, I still break out into a huge smile whenever the bird finally takes flight for the first time. Reminds me a bit of Solipskier but with a much different personality. Easy recommendation for a buck.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Bit on Tiny Wings (http://itunes.apple.com/app/tiny-wings/id417817520?mt=8). Very charming. Really easy to pick up and play but definitely has some timing skills and strategy to deploy. After a dozen or so plays, I still break out into a huge smile whenever the bird finally takes flight for the first time. Reminds me a bit of Solipskier but with a much different personality. Easy recommendation for a buck.[/QUOTE]

Tiny wings is awesome, i love the music and the pseudo adrenaline rush when you hit perfect jumps is crazy haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back