iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='GundamS']Looking in my crystal ball, I see an iPad2 :)

Any of these Gameloft games worth getting now while on sale?[/QUOTE]

Many of the Gameloft games have trials. I recommend downloading those and trying them out.

As for the ones I own, N.O.V.A. Zombie Infection, GT Racing, Gangstar HD, and Dungeon Explorer HD are pretty decent for $0.99 each.

I'm trying to decide if NOVA 2 and Sparta are worth it for me.

Picked up N.O.V.A. - played the demo, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm a fan of both Dead Space and Halo, so it was a fairly easy purchase for me - actually not quite sure why I didn't pick it up a while ago. I guess I thought it was only a multi-player game.

[quote name='INCyr']Picked up N.O.V.A. - played the demo, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm a fan of both Dead Space and Halo, so it was a fairly easy purchase for me - actually not quite sure why I didn't pick it up a while ago. I guess I thought it was only a multi-player game.[/QUOTE]

Now if only EA would put Dead Space on sale....

iSlash is once again available for FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/islash/id388130466?mt=8).
"iSlash is an addictive slashing puzzle where your finger is your weapon. Swipe to slash your way through 100 amazing levels(more to come for free). Keep an eye on the ninja stars; some are fast, some are ghosts but all are deadly. Destroy most of the play-shape and you'll advance to the next one. Open your ninja senses and let the fun begin!"

[quote name='awp']Now if only EA would put Dead Space on sale....[/QUOTE]

Heh. I know this is CAG (I've been waiting forever now for Infinity Blade to drop in price!) but I can fully say that Dead Space is amazing, and totally worth the price it's set at. It really does feel like a full console game crammed into the iPhone. ;)

I really don't think you'd be disappointed if you picked it up at full price.

[quote name='INCyr']Heh. I know this is CAG (I've been waiting forever now for Infinity Blade to drop in price!) but I can fully say that Dead Space is amazing, and totally worth the price it's set at. It really does feel like a full console game crammed into the iPhone. ;)

I really don't think you'd be disappointed if you picked it up at full price.[/QUOTE]

Lol yeah good luck with waiting on infinity blade to drop...they've said several times that they're not dropping it and have even hinted at increasing it once the big update is released...to reward those who paid for it. I think dead space is a different story though bc it's ea and it just a matter of time before it drops lol. Both great games worth the price IMO but I loved infinity blade and can't wait for the update.

[quote name='crunchewy']One of the reviews in iTunes for Save Toshi DX said, with bad spelling and punctuation, that the game should have a panda or something instead of the Toshi girl, and I laughed. Then I played the lite version. This game should have a panda or something instead of the Toshi girl.

Which is a shame because the game seems fun.[/QUOTE]

They just really need to spruce her up but I think her ugliness is a unity engine shortcoming, also, better voice acting. It would be funnier if she only spoke japanese with no subtitles.

Jenga finally got that gyroscope update and it's on sale for a buck.
App Store

[quote name='zeb06']Lol yeah good luck with waiting on infinity blade to drop...they've said several times that they're not dropping it and have even hinted at increasing it once the big update is released...to reward those who paid for it. I think dead space is a different story though bc it's ea and it just a matter of time before it drops lol. Both great games worth the price IMO but I loved infinity blade and can't wait for the update.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm thinking I might bite on IB this weekend. Just finished up a big project at work, it'd be my reward to myself. Just worried I'm not going to like it, and there's no demo for me to try out first. Kinda frustrating.

[quote name='INCyr']Yeah, I'm thinking I might bite on IB this weekend. Just finished up a big project at work, it'd be my reward to myself. Just worried I'm not going to like it, and there's no demo for me to try out first. Kinda frustrating.[/QUOTE]

Always been my experience that without fail if you waited an eternity for it to drop and decide to deviate from a "No sale, no buy" policy, then the price will drop within the week.

So you know... I say go for it. ;) Then I'll get my IB while it's on sale!

Speedy Biker is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/speedy-biker/id393107354?mt=8).
"Tilt your way to victory!
Pirate Monkey Studios proudly presents Speedy Biker, a new reality physics-based 2d motocross game.
Race against the computer, or challenge a friend with real-time Head-2-Head over Bluetooth or separately in challenge mode.
Speedy Biker features 17 track locations across the globe complete with bone-jarring jumps, dizzying whoop-de-doos, ramps, mud, and obstacles galore."

Although it's always been free, iAssociate 2 is being showcased on FAAD right now (http://itunes.apple.com/fi/app/iassociate-2/id370423110?mt=8). This is one of my favorite word games and definitely worth a download.
"iAssociate was one of TUAW's favorite apps of 2009. With the release of iAssociate 2 we are now improving the game further, answering the requests our fans have made, among the biggest being more levels. iAssociate 2 offers brand new, never before seen, levels for you to enjoy. You will get to figure out what some of the most powerful forces on mother earth are, food in all different forms and tastes, go treasure hunting knowing that X marks the spot and LOTS more.
Besides the new levels iAssociate 2 also offers lots of new features to help you progress in the game. You can now get hints for all of those words which you get stuck with, but beware, there is only a limited amount of hints for you to use so use them wisely. If the Hints aren't enough then you can now also quickly ask for help on Facebook, in seconds you'll have your help requests published on Facebook allowing everyone else to aid you in the game.
If these features aren't enough then there's now a new chance for you to prove your worth by competing against all other players. By completing your levels faster than others you'll now have a chance to earn speed medals, which can help you unlock more levels faster."

[quote name='zeb06']Lol yeah good luck with waiting on infinity blade to drop...they've said several times that they're not dropping it and have even hinted at increasing it once the big update is released...to reward those who paid for it. I think dead space is a different story though bc it's ea and it just a matter of time before it drops lol. Both great games worth the price IMO but I loved infinity blade and can't wait for the update.[/QUOTE]

I am a very patient man. They either get my .99 cents or they get nothing at al :rofl:

[quote name='Dimsdale']
Although it's always been free, iAssociate 2 is being showcased on FAAD right now (http://itunes.apple.com/fi/app/iassociate-2/id370423110?mt=8). This is one of my favorite word games and definitely worth a download.
"iAssociate was one of TUAW's favorite apps of 2009. With the release of iAssociate 2 we are now improving the game further, answering the requests our fans have made, among the biggest being more levels. iAssociate 2 offers brand new, never before seen, levels for you to enjoy. You will get to figure out what some of the most powerful forces on mother earth are, food in all different forms and tastes, go treasure hunting knowing that X marks the spot and LOTS more.
Besides the new levels iAssociate 2 also offers lots of new features to help you progress in the game. You can now get hints for all of those words which you get stuck with, but beware, there is only a limited amount of hints for you to use so use them wisely. If the Hints aren't enough then you can now also quickly ask for help on Facebook, in seconds you'll have your help requests published on Facebook allowing everyone else to aid you in the game.
If these features aren't enough then there's now a new chance for you to prove your worth by competing against all other players. By completing your levels faster than others you'll now have a chance to earn speed medals, which can help you unlock more levels faster."[/QUOTE]

I believe the iPad version (iAssociate 2 HD) is free today. The user review/comments seem to indicate that it's normally pay.

[quote name='DtotheP']Bleep!synth just went free. I've had this in my wishlist for a looong time.

App Store

Get it Dimms![/QUOTE]
Snagged it, my brother! Thanks for keeping me well stocked in the synth department. One of these days I'm going to learn how to actually play the darn things. In the meantime, I'm happy to just make cool noises with 'em.

[quote name='DtotheP']Bleep!synth just went free. I've had this in my wishlist for a looong time.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this! Downloading now. Need something to keep the creative juices flowing when away from the studio!

App Store

Get it Dimms![/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Music creation apps are one of the main reason I want an iPad. :)

If anybody wants to try their luck there's some promo codes for the 7th guest for the iPhone/iPod touch posted on SlideToPlay's Facebook page. Sorry if they all have been redeemed.

[quote name='TheSummoner207']If anybody wants to try their luck there's some promo codes for the 7th guest for the iPhone/iPod touch posted on SlideToPlay's Facebook page. Sorry if they all have been redeemed.[/QUOTE]

Got one, thanks!

[quote name='TheSummoner207']If anybody wants to try their luck there's some promo codes for the 7th guest for the iPhone/iPod touch posted on SlideToPlay's Facebook page. Sorry if they all have been redeemed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - got in on one!

Thanks! I managed to grab one too.

All Bravo games, including the newly-released Volcano Escape, are currently on sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/volcano-escape/id412706315?mt=8).
"This classic action platformer will take you on a vacation-turned-nightmare as you try to climb out of a volcano and destroy the tribal minions of the volcano god hell bent on a Charlie Bravo barbecue!
Wielding a whole host of discarded weaponry (previous sacrificial offerings!) including jet packs, grenade launchers and shotguns use skill, cunning and downright aggression to guide our hero to safety!
Introducing Colonel Charlie Bravo, decorated war veteran and all round hero! Charlie recently disappeared whilst taking his summer vacation, only to resurface as a sacrificial offering to appease the lava gods!"

The puzzler Spirits, in regular and HD flavors, is also on sale for .99 (Spirits, Spirits HD.)
"Spirits is an award-winning puzzle game about wind, indirect control and creativity. Guide the spirits towards their destination by using them to manipulate wind, dig tunnels and build bridges of leaves. Find your own creative solution for each of the 40 beautifully hand-drawn levels. Spirits lets you play at your own pace. Pause the game at any time to get an overview over a level. Try to save as many spirits as possible and pick up the hard-to-get plants to reach a higher world rank. Sound and music are done completely with orchestral musical instruments giving the game a unique poetic feel."

The OpenFeint Fire Sale Friday candidate today is Graveyard Shift. Check out the free Lite version to see if you want to vote the full version down to .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/graveyard-shift-lite/id383061413?mt=8).
"Graveyard Shift is a physics puzzler with funny bones and ragdoll skeleton twist.
All skeletons have jumped out of their coffins at the ring of midnight and as the cemetery keeper, you are tasked to get them back in there. Get the skeletons back into their coffins before the break of dawn using the wacky environments in this hilarious and addictive game. You remove various types of blocks by tapping them, triggering chain reactions and hopefully precipitating the skeleton into his casket."

[quote name='Dimsdale']All Bravo games, including the newly-released Volcano Escape, are currently on sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/volcano-escape/id412706315?mt=8).
"This classic action platformer will take you on a vacation-turned-nightmare as you try to climb out of a volcano and destroy the tribal minions of the volcano god hell bent on a Charlie Bravo barbecue!
Wielding a whole host of discarded weaponry (previous sacrificial offerings!) including jet packs, grenade launchers and shotguns use skill, cunning and downright aggression to guide our hero to safety!
Introducing Colonel Charlie Bravo, decorated war veteran and all round hero! Charlie recently disappeared whilst taking his summer vacation, only to resurface as a sacrificial offering to appease the lava gods!"

The puzzler Spirits, in regular and HD flavors, is also on sale for .99 (Spirits, Spirits HD.)
"Spirits is an award-winning puzzle game about wind, indirect control and creativity. Guide the spirits towards their destination by using them to manipulate wind, dig tunnels and build bridges of leaves. Find your own creative solution for each of the 40 beautifully hand-drawn levels. Spirits lets you play at your own pace. Pause the game at any time to get an overview over a level. Try to save as many spirits as possible and pick up the hard-to-get plants to reach a higher world rank. Sound and music are done completely with orchestral musical instruments giving the game a unique poetic feel."[/QUOTE]

Any of them actually good?

One of the best Arkanoid/Breakout games around, Jet Ball, is once again available for FREE for a limited time ((http://itunes.apple.com/app/graveyard-shift-lite/id383061413?mt=8)).
"Destroy all static and moving bricks and obstacles to win the level. Touch and move left or right the pulsing circle under the pad to control it. Touch anywhere higher with another finger (use multi-touch) to release a ball, launch a rocket or shoot with plasma gun.
Shining blocks contain bonuses that can seriously change the situation. Green power-ups will help you to cope the task – such as ball splits, rocket launcher, plasma gun, fire ball, acid ball, magnet, shield and so on. Try to avoid red power-downs, that can speed up balls, decrease board size, make balls flight trajectory unpredictable or even explode the board."

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I didn't see any codes for 7th Guest. Am I missing something or did they delete the post?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheSummoner207']It's on slidetoplay's Facebook.[/QUOTE]

It was posted by 'The 7th Guest' on Slide to Play's page, so you have to click one of the buttons that shows posts from other users.

http://www.facebook.com/slidetoplay.page?v=wall&filter=3

They might all have been used by now though.

I just wanted to mention that I found a really good game on the app store, its called Mushroom Age, if you like point and click adventures this game is an absolute MUST. Its just as good as a Nintendo DS or PSP game and is a long game, so if you are sick of short games this is one for you. First truly good game I discovered on the app store.

The game was free a short while ago.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']In for Need for Speed Shift! :D[/QUOTE]

Anyone know how this compares to Hot Pursuit? I love Hot Pursuit but I already beat all the races.

[quote name='eliter1']Anyone know how this compares to Hot Pursuit? I love Hot Pursuit but I already beat all the races.[/QUOTE]
I liked Shift quite a bit. If you enjoyed Hot Pursuit, I'd grab it while it's on sale. From what I remember, Shift has the same NFS play mechanics as HP. It's just that you're racing in a more traditional track environment rather than trying to outrun (or catch) your opponent. Great arcade racing fun anyway you look at it, though.

[quote name='Starky27']Battleheart is on sale for $.99 through Saturday.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/battleheart/id394057299[/QUOTE]
I'm not a real big RPG player, but I watched the developer's trailer for Battleheart, read a few reviews, and was sufficiently convinced that I wanted to grab this one while it's on sale. I love the artwork and animations! Sounds like it's fairly action-heavy, too. I'm looking forward to carving out some time this weekend to crush ogres with meteors and maybe zap a few adversaries into frogs. Thanks for the heads up!

Also, the puzzler Crack'n Flee is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/crackn-flee/id390406431?mt=8#).
"The thief sneaks into the building with automatic security system and plans to steal all treasures, the only way to next floor is typing correct password to switch on the elevator. The greedy thief needs to key in respective password of each floor to steal all treasures in every floors.
The guessing pattern is to guess the arrangement and combination of numbers, symbols or images results from random numbers. The difficult level from 2-digi to 6-digi with unrepeatable number or image."

If I'm not mistaken, Battleheart is a RTS game. As such I'm not too interested. Every time I play a RTS I get to my first defeat or two, am set with the prospect of having to start that battle all over again and I never quite get around to it. So then the game just goes unplayed for a long time, and then after a while the thought of trying to remember how to play the game ... and you get the idea. It never gets finished. I'll wait for a $0 sale.

A bit off topic but do you guys know if Cydia has anything similar to the Rom Gripper App on the Android Market? I've been using it on the Nook Color and it's by far one of the greatest apps I've used when coupled with good emulators. It would be awesome to have it on the new iPad 2. Anyone know if something similar exists?

For anyone on the iPad and not on the iPhone, I'd like to point out that Dimsdale mention of Battleheart also applies for the iPad too. The same app is designed for both devices.

[quote name='Laughing Man']For anyone on the iPad and not on the iPhone, I'd like to point out that Dimsdale mention of Battleheart also applies for the iPad too. The same app is designed for both devices.[/QUOTE]

Heh yeah the first few times people posted links here for free or on sale games it sucked because I kept getting the iphone version since that is what people were posting. I have kind of just adapted to whenever someone posts a link I ignore it and just bring up itunes and check if its the Iphone or Pad version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back