iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

It seems they screwed the touch controls up on Dungeon Hunter 2, you now have to press the attack/open chest button now instead of just tapping on the enemy or chest. Have to use virtual stick and use two hands now instead of just using one finger to play like I used for the first one. Don't know if I'm going to be able to get into this one unless they fix it. Also no map on the HUD? Wtf

[quote name='peanut_gallery']As someone posted earlier, there will probably be an app or genre of apps that will come along that will make the iPad a must buy based on the experience. For me it is the music production apps. There are some amazing apps out there for creating and recording music on the go. They are fantastic on the iPhone, but the screen-size gets prohibitive to work-flow a lot of the time. Suddenly the iPad looks like a great alternative, and with camera connection kit, you can now use USB devices with it (i.e. MIDI controllers, etc). It's not going to replace my regular DAW, but for immediate and portable sketching of music ideas, as well as performance possibilities, it's a game changer.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I stopped using my laptop at least 80% less.

Geared 2 has dropped to FREE! (http://itunes.apple.com/app/geared-2/id405759718?mt=8)

Now some more iPad drops...

Master of Alchemy HD has dropped to $0.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/master-of-alchemy-hd/id373513573?mt=8)

The Creeps HD has dropped to $0.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-creeps-hd/id364906949?mt=8)

Babylonian Twins HD Premium has dropped to $0.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/babylonian-twins-hd-premium/id365891062?mt=8)

And while it's not a game, DJ World Studio has dropped from $19.99 to $9.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/dj-world-studio/id420409073?mt=8)

P.S. I know how people complain when the thread gets away from just mentioning sales and whatnot, so maybe it would be a good idea to actually have a link to the discussion thread in the initial post of this thread. I may have missed it, but I don't see a mention of the discussion thread at all.

Described as a better Carcassonne-like experience, Xeno Sola has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"A new future is under construction. But who will dominate this diplomatic experiment? You are tasked with building modules of Star One, the galaxy's first interstellar space station. Compete with up to three other players as you lay out a unique structure every game. The classic and limitless play promises to entertain for hours."

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Loving Dungeon Hunter 2! Never played the first... so I have nothing to compare it to. But this game is quite addictive![/QUOTE]

Same here! For $0.99 this was a STEAL!

Anyone have any issues downloading Dungeon Hunter 2 directly from their iPhone? I clicked to download and it progress bar is just stuck half way since last night.

NVM seems like I had to sync to comp now its downloading from iTunes.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Shimrra']Anyone have any issues downloading Dungeon Hunter 2 directly from their iPhone? I clicked to download and it progress bar is just stuck half way since last night.[/QUOTE]

I had a game do that before. Try canceling and restarting the download.

[quote name='Shimrra']Anyone have any issues downloading Dungeon Hunter 2 directly from their iPhone? I clicked to download and it progress bar is just stuck half way since last night.

NVM seems like I had to sync to comp now its downloading from iTunes.[/QUOTE]
It probably has something to do with the amount of people dling this thing and that its also like 400 mb.

Oh and btw, anyone here played and recommends Prince of Persia: WW for iPad?

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']It probably has something to do with the amount of people dling this thing and that its also like 400 mb.

Oh and btw, anyone here played and recommends Prince of Persia: WW for iPad?[/QUOTE]

I am near the end of prince of Persia, and i am enjoying it. It got it for .99 right after Christmas, and is easily worth the money. The game looks great, but the camera and controls can be annoying at times. The game also gets confusing at times.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Loving Dungeon Hunter 2! Never played the first... so I have nothing to compare it to. But this game is quite addictive![/QUOTE]

[quote name='keithp']Same here! For $0.99 this was a STEAL![/QUOTE]

If you guys are on the iPad by chance, the first one is still on sale for a dollar.
http://appshopper.com/games/dungeon-hunter-hd

Downloaded DH2 and it is pretty good. I grabbed IB a couple days ago when it was cheap and it goes through an iPod Touch's battery like a warm knife through butter, so I was a bit worried about DH2, but I seem to be getting pretty good battery life with it.
Pretty pleased with it for only a dollar.

So is the first Dungeon Hunter iPad only or something? I saw a couple posts up where it says it's on sale for the iPad and have never seen it in iTunes, so figured maybe it was 'Pad only.

I'm about 20 minutes into Dungeon Hunter 2. I love it. It's exactly what I have been waiting for on my iPhone, and exactly the right price!

[quote name='EYEL1NER']
So is the first Dungeon Hunter iPad only or something? I saw a couple posts up where it says it's on sale for the iPad and have never seen it in iTunes, so figured maybe it was 'Pad only.[/QUOTE]

There is an iPhone/iPod version but it's not on sale, it's 5 bucks, I'm sure it will go on sale sometime.

[quote name='Stimes']There is an iPhone/iPod version but it's not on sale, it's 5 bucks, I'm sure it will go on sale sometime.[/QUOTE]
Okay, cool. I'll be on the lookout for it. I have never searched specifically for it, but searching for DH2 would have turned up something for it or had it in the recommended block, I would have thought. But, guess not.

[quote name='Kush']I am now a member of the iPad family.

...my first time standing in line for anything. A surprisingly enjoyable experience.[/QUOTE]

When I waited in line for the iPhone 4 (AT&T) I had a good time too, even though I wasn't successful in getting one. People were pretty down to earth, just liked their iPhones. I'd have waited in line for the iPad 2 if I'd had the time. Oh well. Going to check it out today and order one.

I bought DH2 for iPad. I wasn't going to get the iPhone version since I think I'll enjoy it more on the iPad. I did try the iPhone demo and definitely liked it. If you could swap back and forth between the versions I'd get both, but I presume it doesn't do that (save on the cloud).

[quote name='crunchewy']If you could swap back and forth between the versions I'd get both, but I presume it doesn't do that (save on the cloud).[/QUOTE]
I don't think there is a single iOS game that saves to the cloud, but that would be cool. Probably a feature Apple would build into the sdk, maybe save to mobile me.

[quote name='mrsamsa']Real Racing 2 has it:

"Online Save Game
Save game data is stored online with your game identity, so if you need to reinstall the app or buy a new device, you can restore it and pick up right where you left off including all your game progress."

http://firemint.com/real-racing-2-features/#savegame[/QUOTE]
That's a good start. I'm hoping for universal app cloud saves, i.e. I play a universal game on an iPhone, switch to an iPad version of the same game and continue where I left off.

You can do what Real Racing 2 does manually using iPhone Explorer (with no need for jb). Just connect your device to iPhone Explorer, copy the Documents folder of an app to backup the save data, copy back the Dcouments folder if/when you need to restore. I backed up a lot of games that way when I recently switched my iPad from syncing with a Windows laptop to syncing with a Mac laptop... luckily I didn't lose any save data in the transition since I had authorized and transferred purchases to the Mac laptop beforehand, but I would have been covered.

[quote name='lilman']You can do what Real Racing 2 does manually using iPhone Explorer (with no need for jb). Just connect your device to iPhone Explorer, copy the Documents folder of an app to backup the save data, copy back the Dcouments folder if/when you need to restore. I backed up a lot of games that way when I recently switched my iPad from syncing with a Windows laptop to syncing with a Mac laptop... luckily I didn't lose any save data in the transition since I had authorized and transferred purchases to the Mac laptop beforehand, but I would have been covered.[/QUOTE]
Cool! Thanks for the heads up on iPhone Explorer. Looks like a very useful little utility. I have a ton of games in varioius stages of completion on my iPod Touch that I'd like to transfer over to my iPhone (a few at a time, of course). Nice to know I don't have to re-start all of them just because I switch devices.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']Which theme are you using? I'm using "iOS Style" and it's alright...[/QUOTE]

Ahh just the default. Just tried the iOS style, not so much for me on that one.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']Which theme are you using? I'm using "iOS Style" and it's alright...[/QUOTE]

I'm viewing just the regular version on my iPad and it looks great!

[quote name='keithp']I am on the iPad as a matter of fact. Is the first DH worth getting after playing the second one? I know it's only .99, but how much of a step backward from the 2nd one is it?[/QUOTE]

Quite a step back, I'd save the dollar. If you have 2, there's no reason to go back to 1. Gameloft's earlier stuff really is pretty crappy (not to start this argument) but their newer offerings are getting better imo.

[quote name='etcrane']Quite a step back, I'd save the dollar. If you have 2, there's no reason to go back to 1. Gameloft's earlier stuff really is pretty crappy (not to start this argument) but their newer offerings are getting better imo.[/QUOTE]

Normally, I'd say it's only a dollar, so no matter how crappy it is, why not give it a whirl? However, SINCE the guy asked US IF he should spend a DOLLAR, then I'd say no, it's probably not going to end up with him being happy with his purchase.

[quote name='keithp']I am on the iPad as a matter of fact. Is the first DH worth getting after playing the second one? I know it's only .99, but how much of a step backward from the 2nd one is it?[/QUOTE]

I actualy feel DH2 is the step backward, as I mentioned a couple pages back I like the first one's touch controls better. It's also one of the few games I've played all the way through, don't know if I'm going to with the second one. Also there is a minimap in the first one that is missing in the second one. I'm going to play part 2 but not nearly as much as the first one due to having to use both hands to play.

Both hands make way more sense in my opinion, I'm not sure how you hold the iPad but I find it more natural to have my thumbs on each side. Plus the terrible thing about the first one's touch controls was that your hand obscures the view every time you have to tap on an enemy or a chest. Have to say I disagree tremendously in regards to DH2 being a step back ... it has better graphics, better controls and multiplayer ... for .99 it's a steal compared to the first. But that's just my 2 cents.

I didn't have to hold my iPad at all for the first one, I could lay on the sofa with the thing plugged into the wall if I wanted, controls are more like Diablo in the first one.

[quote name='lilman']That's a good start. I'm hoping for universal app cloud saves, i.e. I play a universal game on an iPhone, switch to an iPad version of the same game and continue where I left off.

You can do what Real Racing 2 does manually using iPhone Explorer (with no need for jb). Just connect your device to iPhone Explorer, copy the Documents folder of an app to backup the save data, copy back the Dcouments folder if/when you need to restore. I backed up a lot of games that way when I recently switched my iPad from syncing with a Windows laptop to syncing with a Mac laptop... luckily I didn't lose any save data in the transition since I had authorized and transferred purchases to the Mac laptop beforehand, but I would have been covered.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. I wonder if the save format for DH2 is compatible between them? Probably, so now I might get DH2 for iPhone 2 because... looks like I won't be playing the iPad version for another month. 3-4 weeks delivery on my just ordered iPad 2. :( Well, at least I got to see it in store and decide on the color (I chose the black - I didn't like the way the white looked. It looks like an off-white, or at least it sure did in the Apple Store).

there's been rumors about mobile me having cloud storage for media, maybe it will also have game saves too. that would be awesome and solve a lot of problems with switching devices.

Another game I can think of that allow you to port saves between devices is Broken Sword 2, which uses DropBox in some way - I don't know exactly how, as I don't have it.

Also, Hook Champ Worlds lets you sync your saves via OpenFeint. I forget if Hook Champ and Super Quick Hook also let you.

Not a game, but has anybody tried Inspire Pro (painting app) for iPad? It's on sale for 99 cents. I'd like to have a paint app. I'm not a painter really, in fact I'm not very good, but it seems like something I'd have fun playing with and my kids might like it too. It's been on sale for 99 cents a number of times, so I'm sure if I don't buy now it will go on sale again later, but I'm still thinking about it. Anyone want to sway me one way or the other?

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/inspire-pro

Just updated to 4.3, and I noticed that GameCenter now shows me as having 134 games, whereas before it seemed to max out at 81, and if I played one of my GC games that wasn't showing up, it would show up and boot off the previously oldest displayed game.

[quote name='crunchewy']Not a game, but has anybody tried Inspire Pro (painting app) for iPad? It's on sale for 99 cents. I'd like to have a paint app. I'm not a painter really, in fact I'm not very good, but it seems like something I'd have fun playing with and my kids might like it too. It's been on sale for 99 cents a number of times, so I'm sure if I don't buy now it will go on sale again later, but I'm still thinking about it. Anyone want to sway me one way or the other?

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/inspire-pro[/QUOTE]

It's pretty good actually, especially for 99 cents. I've also tried Sketchbook Pro, Brushes and Sketchclub. I can't say any of them are a hands down winner, but all of them are great programs and handy for sketching and painting practice.

Oh, I also use a stylus as well for more control, but you can still fingerpaint nicely with just the ipad.

[quote name='crunchewy']Not a game, but has anybody tried Inspire Pro (painting app) for iPad? It's on sale for 99 cents. I'd like to have a paint app. I'm not a painter really, in fact I'm not very good, but it seems like something I'd have fun playing with and my kids might like it too. It's been on sale for 99 cents a number of times, so I'm sure if I don't buy now it will go on sale again later, but I'm still thinking about it. Anyone want to sway me one way or the other?

Just picked it up. I haven't used it but I hear it's amazing and better than other paint apps. I recommend it just based on price.

Picked this up as well, thanks.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Described as a better Carcassonne-like experience, Xeno Sola has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"A new future is under construction. But who will dominate this diplomatic experiment? You are tasked with building modules of Star One, the galaxy's first interstellar space station. Compete with up to three other players as you lay out a unique structure every game. The classic and limitless play promises to entertain for hours."[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Thought I had it on my appshopper but I didn't. Been wanting to snag this for like 2 years!

[quote name='Saraquael']It's pretty good actually, especially for 99 cents. I've also tried Sketchbook Pro, Brushes and Sketchclub. I can't say any of them are a hands down winner, but all of them are great programs and handy for sketching and painting practice.

Oh, I also use a stylus as well for more control, but you can still fingerpaint nicely with just the ipad.[/QUOTE]

Artrage is great on Mac, and they also have an iPad version. If I had an iPad, I'd buy it.

Artrage

Also, super quickhook supports open feint back up too. I don't know why this isn't a standard app feature.

[quote name='DtotheP']Artrage is great on Mac, and they also have an iPad version. If I had an iPad, I'd buy it.

Artrage

Also, super quickhook supports open feint back up too. I don't know why this isn't a standard app feature.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll have to look into that.

Van Pershing – The Showdown is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"Do you know what Van Pershing likes to do early morning? Eat a bowl of cereal?
Maybe a tuna sandwitch? Or maybe he is jogging with a gun in his hands breathing zombies gore?
Check out yourself and enjoy New Adwentures of Van Pershing. Join him with the run to destiny and discover."

Space Freight is being featured as the main FAAD game right now.
"Space Freight throws players into the shoes of a galactic navigator as they attempt to help their mother-ship – the Galactic Explorer SV-3 – reach as many new and exotic planets as possible before it runs out of energy.
To succeed in their quest of exploration for as long as possible users need to direct numerous cargo ships at once towards the Galactic Explorer SV-3 all while keeping a keen eye out for – and battling – dangerous alien enemies who attempt to thwart them in their progress. To ensure gameplay stays varied throughout Space Freight includes five unique cargo ships for players to direct each of which offers users diverse benefits and challenges. Furthermore the game includes three unique alien enemies for players to battle as they fly from one planet to the next, inching ever deeper into the cosmos."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back