iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Shape it HD is free down from $3! 5 star reviews to boot.[/QUOTE]

Looked for this and couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

I know a few mentioned Inspire Pro a few posts back -- still on sale for $0.99 (ends today) -- and I ended up grabbing it and I figured I would post a quick sketch I did as my first test. And yes, I am forcing you all to go to my own site just to see the sketch because I am sure the 7 extra page views will make all the difference!

[quote name='Kush']I know a few mentioned Inspire Pro a few posts back -- still on sale for $0.99 (ends today) -- and I ended up grabbing it and I figured I would post a quick sketch I did as my first test. And yes, I am forcing you all to go to my own site just to see the sketch because I am sure the 7 extra page views will make all the difference![/QUOTE]

Very nice. Donatello or Leonardo? I bought yesterday and have 0 artistic ability, mainly for my more artistic friends. I wish I could LEARN how to draw :(

[quote name='darrenaero']Very nice. Donatello or Leonardo? I bought yesterday and have 0 artistic ability, mainly for my more artistic friends. I wish I could LEARN how to draw :([/QUOTE]
Purple = Donatello; Donatello = My Favorite; My Favorite = More Important Than Everyone Else!

[quote name='Kush']Purple = Donatello; Donatello = My Favorite; My Favorite = More Important Than Everyone Else![/QUOTE]

This. Donnie Rulez!

[quote name='jer7583']Dungeon Hunter 2 is showing $6.99 was this only limited time?[/QUOTE]

Should be over by now. Was a one day sale due to end last night.

[quote name='jer7583']Dungeon Hunter 2 is showing $6.99 was this only limited time?[/QUOTE]

It was a one day sale, but they started it early so it was more like a day and a half.

In for Shape It HD, though it only has 10 total reviews, 8 of them from the previous version. In any case, thanks for the heads up.

The freemium puzzler Cleopatra's Pyramid is the latest FAAD featured game.
"Pharaohs going wild: Cleopatra‘s Pyramid has hit the desert!
If you like classic Solitaire and Pyramid card games, you'll love this one!
Cleopatra's Pyramid combines an incredibly captivating gameplay, 212 exciting levels (easily unlockable via In App Purchase or downloading other apps for free), and probably the most beautiful card game artwork you’ve ever seen on the App Store (full Retina display support). This game is highly recommended to all fans of card, board and puzzle games."

Robot 99 is the newest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day.
"In ROBOT 99, your goal is to rescue as many robots as possible. Just tap a robot to open its parachute, then drag and launch it into the sky. Tap on a robot quickly to get an extra bonus. Be careful not to let them collide with each other and make sure to keep their parachute safe. You can also drag the robots to POWERIZONA for better speed and a higer score. ROBOT 99 implements the Openfeint gaming social network. You can save your highscore online, unlock achievements, and compete with your friends."

[quote name='namrog']Papa Sangre is free right now. Been waiting for a price drop for a while now, didn't expect it to go free.[/QUOTE]

This game has me REALLY intrigued... Downloading now. Thanks for the heads up. Papa Sangre

[quote name='namrog']Papa Sangre is free right now. Been waiting for a price drop for a while now, didn't expect it to go free.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. A podcast I listened to had talked about it a while back and it had sounded interesting. Really looking forward to giving it a go.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Papa Sangre lists for $4.99 for me. Hope I didn't miss it.[/QUOTE]

Wow that was a faster sale than World of Goo for $0.99! I dl'ed it an hour ago and was going to post my opinion of it just now and when I saw this comment, I checked again and the price is in fact back up to $4.99! My appshopper alert told me it dropped earlier tonight but looking at it just now, appshopper says the price just went back up. Strange, but I'm glad I got this for free since it's probably one of the more unique and fun experiences I've had with the iPhone so far. For all those that missed it, I hope it drops again so more can check it out. I don't think it's everyones cup of tea, but it sure is fun when you want to give your eyes a break and play a game based on sound.

[quote name='jjz203']Wow that was a faster sale than World of Goo for $0.99! I dl'ed it an hour ago and was going to post my opinion of it just now and when I saw this comment, I checked again and the price is in fact back up to $4.99! My appshopper alert told me it dropped earlier tonight but looking at it just now, appshopper says the price just went back up. Strange, but I'm glad I got this for free since it's probably one of the more unique and fun experiences I've had with the iPhone so far. For all those that missed it, I hope it drops again so more can check it out. I don't think it's everyones cup of tea, but it sure is fun when you want to give your eyes a break and play a game based on sound.[/QUOTE]

What really stinks is that I saw that sale and went to DL it but my wife was using the Ipad...I knew it was the first time she had relaxed all day so I just waited till she was done to check on the sale....and it was over...sniff sniff. Thats what I get for being a nice guy ;(

[quote name='Kush']I know a few mentioned Inspire Pro a few posts back -- still on sale for $0.99 (ends today) -- and I ended up grabbing it and I figured I would post a quick sketch I did as my first test. And yes, I am forcing you all to go to my own site just to see the sketch because I am sure the 7 extra page views will make all the difference![/QUOTE]

What do you use on your iPad? I found a stylus at best buy that's made by targus but I hear there is also a pogo that is more popular.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']What do you use on your iPad? I found a stylus at best buy that's made by targus but I hear there is also a pogo that is more popular.[/QUOTE]
I was using the BoxWave as I have heard consistently good things. It feels pretty good, but it's not perfect; however, I would blame that more on the capacitive vs resistive screen situation. -- And, the stylus linked is more expensive because I prefer having a 2-in-1 input device... it gives me an excuse to have the stylus in my pocket at all times.

I would love to try out the Just Mobile AluPen too. The form factor looks rather appealing.

Reiner Knizia's Medici HD has dropped to $1.99 (from $2.99). Not really listed as a sale. I like the iPhone version of this euro boardgame (I also have the real thing) and will be getting the iPad version, though I'm not in a hurry on this as I don't have my iPad yet and it's not listed as a sale. In any case, here you go:

http://appshopper.com/games/medici

Queue Rollingskull.... ;^)

Also, I downloaded Wild Frontier even though I don't know what it is. :) Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='heavy liquid']I'm so annoyed at Papa Sangre. I just missed it last night! Putting it on sale for only an hour is pretty ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it sounded interesting. Hopefully it was just a timing mistake and it will be made free for a longer period soonish.

Sega Football (Soccer) Manager Handheld 2011 for $9.99.

I found this on Kotaku. Here's the gist:

"S.I. & SEGA will be donating all of their revenue from the FMH app from last Friday for 7 days to a disaster relief fund for Japan."

The iPhone app can be grabbed here for $9.99.

EDIT: Rereading this a bit more carefully, "football" should be read as "soccer" if you're in the United States.

[quote name='crunchewy']Reiner Knizia's Medici HD has dropped to $1.99 (from $2.99). Not really listed as a sale. I like the iPhone version of this euro boardgame (I also have the real thing) and will be getting the iPad version, though I'm not in a hurry on this as I don't have my iPad yet and it's not listed as a sale. In any case, here you go:

http://appshopper.com/games/medici[/QUOTE]
The standard version of Medici is also on sale (for .99) for those without iPads.

Also, Reiner Knizia's Ra has dropped to its lowest price so far ($2.99).
"Build an empire that will live forever. Compete to become the most famous ruler of all time as you wield almost god-like powers over the course of three major Epochs in Egyptian history. Collect tiles representing various aspects of Egyptian life and civilization while your rivals try to do the same. Wisely use the few tokens that Ra, the sun god, has given you to earn your place of honor in the Valley of the Kings."

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']What do you use on your iPad? I found a stylus at best buy that's made by targus but I hear there is also a pogo that is more popular.[/QUOTE]
I use BoxWave: http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-Capacitive-iPad-Stylus-Black/dp/B000BUI76S/
I took the clip off the top of mine. I've read that with some other styli the tip breaks off, with BoxWave that won't happen. I've used it with several handwriting and drawing apps (like PenUltimate and Sketchbook Pro) and am happy with it.

It also comes in a model that doubles as a pen, but I didn't get that one thinking someone using my iPad would try to use the pen on it :/

I'm kinda pissed that I bought Papa Sangre. Never thought in a million years that it would've gone free. I've barely played it since buying it too. Bah!

[quote name='Dimsdale']The standard version of Medici is also on sale (for .99) for those without iPads.

Also, Reiner Knizia's Ra has dropped to its lowest price so far ($2.99).
"Build an empire that will live forever. Compete to become the most famous ruler of all time as you wield almost god-like powers over the course of three major Epochs in Egyptian history. Collect tiles representing various aspects of Egyptian life and civilization while your rivals try to do the same. Wisely use the few tokens that Ra, the sun god, has given you to earn your place of honor in the Valley of the Kings."[/QUOTE]

And Ra is universal. However, don't believe in the onilne - it's broken. The dev promises to fix it, but their first fix was a bust, so it remains to be seen if they can actually do that. Still a worthy game at that price, though.

EDIT: apparently these are sale prices and not price drops, good through April 4th (pulled from the devs post on toucharcade.com):

Hi folks,

Our "March Madness" sale started today and will run until April 4th.

US / Canadian prices are now:

Ra (universal) = $2.99
Medici HD (iPad) = $1.99
Medici (iPhone) = $0.99

By the end of the sale we hope to have our next game ("Tikal") out, and while we may run a launch promotion in conjunction with that next release, you definitely won't see prices any lower than this!

Happy gaming!

Codito Development

If you're wondering what Tikal is, here it is at boardgamegeek.com:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/54/tikal

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the right thread to also give/get recommendations, or would that derail the thread too much? I find this thread to be extremely helpful but it would also be helpful to have some brief discussion/lists to help separate the wheat from the chaff, since there are just so many iOS games out there.

[quote name='lilman']I use BoxWave: http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-Capacitive-iPad-Stylus-Black/dp/B000BUI76S/
I took the clip off the top of mine. I've read that with some other styli the tip breaks off, with BoxWave that won't happen. I've used it with several handwriting and drawing apps (like PenUltimate and Sketchbook Pro) and am happy with it.

It also comes in a model that doubles as a pen, but I didn't get that one thinking someone using my iPad would try to use the pen on it :/[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I use the boxwave as well. It's nice.

I wish the technology was there for something that simulates a pen better for fine lines and precise details, but I guess that's what my desktop is for... or a pen and paper. heh.

[quote name='illennium']Is this the right thread to also give/get recommendations, or would that derail the thread too much? I find this thread to be extremely helpful but it would also be helpful to have some brief discussion/lists to help separate the wheat from the chaff, since there are just so many iOS games out there.[/QUOTE]

A little bit is ok but what invariably happens is someone posts "hey I just got an itouch what r sum gd games?"

And all the lurkers come out of the woodwork to post the standard list of:
Angry birds
Infinity blade
Fruit ninja etc ad nauseum

A safe bet is always posting a deal when posting something slightly off-topic, like this:

Future dj is on sale for $2. Surprisingly good dj app that's similar to serato. Not as tactile as tap dj but easier for a novice to start mixing right away.

App Store

[quote name='illennium']Is this the right thread to also give/get recommendations, or would that derail the thread too much? I find this thread to be extremely helpful but it would also be helpful to have some brief discussion/lists to help separate the wheat from the chaff, since there are just so many iOS games out there.[/QUOTE]

Well, the title of the thread is iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales. :cool:

The Battleship-like Battle of Midway Pro has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"The battleship is the classic naval strategy game where two players try to sink each other's hidden ships. Battle of Midway Pro is an awesome 45 degree angle battleship game in the iPhone. There is no relation between this game and the historical background, it just takes you to a fantasy navy field."

[quote name='Darknuke']I'm kinda pissed that I bought Papa Sangre. Never thought in a million years that it would've gone free. I've barely played it since buying it too. Bah![/QUOTE]

Already back to 4.99. Kinda bummed. It seemed like it would be neat to try out, but I can see why it would get old.

[quote name='Dimsdale']The Battleship-like Battle of Midway Pro has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"The battleship is the classic naval strategy game where two players try to sink each other's hidden ships. Battle of Midway Pro is an awesome 45 degree angle battleship game in the iPhone. There is no relation between this game and the historical background, it just takes you to a fantasy navy field."[/QUOTE]

The iPad HD version is also free.

[quote name='crunchewy']Reiner Knizia's Medici HD has dropped to $1.99 (from $2.99). Not really listed as a sale. I like the iPhone version of this euro boardgame (I also have the real thing) and will be getting the iPad version, though I'm not in a hurry on this as I don't have my iPad yet and it's not listed as a sale. In any case, here you go:

http://appshopper.com/games/medici

Queue Rollingskull.... ;^)

Also, I downloaded Wild Frontier even though I don't know what it is. :) Thanks for the heads up![/QUOTE]

Damn right. I am STILL mad at these buffoons for not figuring a UI out after so many swings at it.

[quote name='mcdaking84']sonic controls horribly with the touch dpad[/QUOTE]

That's a shame, I was wondering how it would play on the iPad.

[quote name='mcdaking84']sonic controls horribly with the touch dpad[/QUOTE]

Did you play on the iPad? Cuz' I'm also worried of lag issues or if it will even play at all on the iPad. I've read most of the reviews for the app and it seems to work better on different devices, but I didn't read anything on anybody playing it on the iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back