iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='pROvIs']Bah, they just responded to my tweet:

"The Trifecta only concerns the iPhone and iPod touch versions of the games."[/QUOTE]

Lame

damnit Starfront is ALREADY dropping to .99? Makes me wish I would've waited. Oh well, it's a badass game and I'm happy to support Gameloft in making more badass games.

I'm DEFINITELY getting both the other gameloft games going on sale though. Damn Gameloft has been stepping it up lately...

[quote name='TheHelp']Infinity Field for iPad is on sale for $0.99
I have heard good things about this twin stick shooter and picked it up for my future iPad.
[/QUOTE]

I am a big fan of infinity field, its a really good geometry wars type shooter. I use my fling joystiqs with it.

[quote name='Darknuke']damnit Starfront is ALREADY dropping to .99? Makes me wish I would've waited. Oh well, it's a badass game and I'm happy to support Gameloft in making more badass games.

I'm DEFINITELY getting both the other gameloft games going on sale though. Damn Gameloft has been stepping it up lately...[/QUOTE]

Well they keep copying quality games so yeah..

Zombies Mummies Vampires Werewolves Aaaaarrrgh! is FREE for one week. Starting now.
"For thousands of years, the monsters of Transylvania have lived together killing humans in harmony. Sadly, all good things must come to an end and they are now at war with each other.
Aaaaarrrgh!!!
In this action-packed strategy game for iOS, it's your job to take control of Zombies, Mummies, Vampires, or Werewolves and prove who is the greatest monster race of them all!"

The Lord of the Rings: Middle-earth Defense is the OpenFeint Fire Sale Friday title. Vote for it to drop down to .99 if you are so inclined.
"From deep within the dark lands of Mordor, Sauron's power grows. Protect Middle-earth from his advancing ranks in The Lord of the Rings: Middle-earth Defense!"
EDIT: Looks like it's received enough votes to go on sale. Pick it up before Monday if you want to save a buck.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame Song Summoner can't use the titles on your computer. The songs have to be on your actual IOS device. At least that's what the demo seems to show for me.

[quote name='Darknuke']
Ooo. I might have to get one soon for iPad development.[/QUOTE]

According to sd, most stores are sold out. This price drop came out yesterday morning.

[quote name='DtotheP']According to sd, most stores are sold out. This price drop came out yesterday morning.[/QUOTE]

saw that. I can wait. Don't need an iPad till at least June (that's when I'm releasing my first game on iPhone/Android).

ugh, Gameloft sale doesn't seem to include the iPad versions of Sacred Odyssey/Eternal Legacy. Guess it was wishful thinking :(

Anyone play the iphone versions of either of those on iPad? Is it worth playing them blown up to 2x to only pay 99 cents now, or should I wait and hope the iPad versions go on sale in the future?

[quote name='atregglypuff']ugh, Gameloft sale doesn't seem to include the iPad versions of Sacred Odyssey/Eternal Legacy. Guess it was wishful thinking :(

Anyone play the iphone versions of either of those on iPad? Is it worth playing them blown up to 2x to only pay 99 cents now, or should I wait and hope the iPad versions go on sale in the future?[/QUOTE]

I would say wait they will go on sale. You can download the lite versions to see if they work for you but I think gameloft is trying to milk iPad users by putting the iPhone versions on sale first and then a couple weeks later they put the iPad version on sale to get you to double dip, also this is the reason they don't make the apps universal, I could be wrong but that's what it seems like to me.

Zombies: The Last Stand has dropped to FREE for the first time. NOTE: This app requires fairly recent hardware to run.
"Inspired by Left 4 Dead by Valve, Zombies : The Last Stand is the ultimate mobile first person zombie shooter, with the most advanced graphics engine on a mobile phone to date!
FEATURES:
- Variety of guns, all upgradeable
- 25 increasingly difficult missions
- Unique types of zombies: Crawlers, walkers, runners, tanks, poppers, jumpers, jumping tanks, and even pygmy zombies.
- Leaderboards and achievements using Game Center
- Realtime shadows (only available on IOS 4)
- Normal mapping, detail mapping, parallax mapping
- Freedom to move anywhere in the 3D environment
- 3D Audio (best played with headphones)
- 7 spooky and exciting background music tracks"

[quote name='maxim2boobles']i just got an ipad , what are the best games to buy or get for free?[/QUOTE]

Oh god not again.

Dude, not to be a dick, but you think you might have at least glanced through any of the previous 216 pages of this current thread?

Download the app shopper app and also check the top charts in the app store. You'll be deleting old apps to make room for new apps in no time. :)

[quote name='DtotheP']Oh god not again.

Dude, not to be a dick, but you think you might have at least glanced through any of the previous 216 pages of this current thread?

Download the app shopper app and also check the top charts in the app store. You'll be deleting old apps to make room for new apps in no time. :)[/QUOTE]
you are a douche. thank you

[quote name='maxim2boobles']you are a douche. thank you[/QUOTE]

Downloading AppShopper and following the top charts is actually a very good advice (at least that's what I mostly do). No need to get all offensive with someone that is helping you (even tho there's plenty information around about the question you made).

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Downloading AppShopper and following the top charts is actually a very good advice (at least that's what I mostly do). No need to get all offensive with someone that is helping you (even tho there's plenty information around about the question you made).[/QUOTE]

thank you apple douche #2

Wait, didn't you know? Giving someone solid, reliable advice means you are a douche. I mean, I check AppShopper every day and it's a great service, but the fact that someone told him about it instead of him finding it out on his own means that other guy is a douche, plain and simple. I can find the logic in that!

[quote name='Darknuke']I'm not sure how that logic makes sense at all, but we'll go with it... Sure...

Ooo. I might have to get one soon for iPad development.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for not being clear, what I trying to say is that they keep copying all the great games and do not even try to hide it. Character design, game mechanics, the whole thing without adding anything original or even trying to innovate. So they are making games based on someone else's hard work.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Sorry for not being clear, what I trying to say is that they keep copying all the great games and do not even try to hide it. Character design, game mechanics, the whole thing without adding anything original or even trying to innovate. So they are making games based on someone else's hard work.[/QUOTE]

Too bad, maybe those developers should get on iOS. If there wasn't a demand for those types of games, Gameloft would be out of business. You snooze, you lose.

Pretty clear that GameLoft follows the profit maximization corporate strategy which is why the iPad models didn't drop price and they don't sell universal apps. Just look at The games they make. It's obvious!

[quote name='Vegan']Too bad, maybe those developers should get on iOS. If there wasn't a demand for those types of games, Gameloft would be out of business. You snooze, you lose.[/QUOTE]

/applaud

So true.

Cry more, haters.

[quote name='Stimes']Has anyone else's Atomic Web Browser been crashing lately, mine has done it a lot times in the last few days.

Edit: it just crashed again when I was making a post and everything I typed is gone.[/QUOTE]

I got tired of the lack of memory crashes and switched to Mercury is/was only 99 cents.

[quote name='Karuto']Pretty clear that GameLoft follows the profit maximization corporate strategy which is why the iPad models didn't drop price and they don't sell universal apps. Just look at The games they make. It's obvious![/QUOTE]

ipad games do drop, they do ipad and iphone sales separately a lot of the time

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']/applaud

So true.

Cry more, haters.[/QUOTE]

You completely missed my point. I never said they make bad games, I own some of them myself and think they are top notch material when it comes to fun.

Picked up the Gameloft trio. And because I forgot what the Starcraft wannabe was called, I accidentally bought Star Battalion too, which is also $0.99. Upon investigation, it also appears worth also a buck.

[quote name='caltab']ipad games do drop, they do ipad and iphone sales separately a lot of the time[/QUOTE]

Oh, they certainly do. But what I mean is that they do them separately so that they don't take a hit on sales across the board. It may be apparent, but discounting a game by 50% even for a few days is a pretty gigantic deal if you are selling hundreds of thousands a week, especially during the launch of iPad 2 wordwide. Not an easy thing to do if people are already willing to spend that $6.99 or whatever regardless.

My Star is one of the new FAAD featured games right now.
"Pilot your star from absolute zero to musical hero!
★ Perfecting your star’s look and home
★ Record awesome songs with friends and storm the charts.
★ Post virtual posters at real world spots
★ Check out posters of other My Star players nearby and add them as friends
★ Master instruments including guitars, drums, DJ decks and singing
★ Visit and jam with your friends
★ Earn loads of cash and fame to top worldwide leaderboards
★ Use Game Center and Facebook to find and play with friends"

Ball Slam Fantasy Tournament
is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Ball Slam Fantasy Tournament, an update to the 2009 hit title based on classic 80’s Brick Breaker games, brings multiplayer to the palm of your hand!
All new level design brings you unconvential controls and wild, uncontrollable environments to test your reflexes. Featuring collectable paddles with unique abilities that can travel around the screen, an array of new and modified power-ups, and new bricks and enemies to face.
The best update of all features live multiplayer battles between two players over local Wi-Fi, with three different game modes and a host of new levels to pit your wits in."

Great App a Day is highlighting Special Force Gun Battle right now.
"Mobicle (Developer of “Cubetrix 3D’” iLounge.com's TOP 100 Puzzle game) brings you Special Forces: Gun Battle. This game combines explosive ONLINE Multiplayer FPS game play with Puzzles!
Special Forces: Gun Battle is a novelty and one of it's kind in the Appstore. This is a high-octane puzzler jam-packed with 28 AUTHENTIC Guns from your favorite FPS games such as Counter Strike, Call of Duty, Bad Company, and more.
Featuring simple single-tap game play, the goal of the game is easy yet challenging and incredibly addicting.
Time will be quickly winding down and it’s your duty to assembly your gun in the quickest time possible. Featuring 21 ranks, you have to be nimble and alert like a real solider. Get it right and gain enough experience to move up in rank and unlock more guns!
Combine that with THOUSANDS of competing players online and you have a perfect blend of tense mind-boggling action!"

Free App Calendar is offering Rolo for your puzzling fulfillment.
"Exercise your brain daily.
Rolo is brain challenging, addictive and enjoyable puzzle game with adorable graphics and funny sounds. Slicky, well designed touch control makes the game very easy to use.
Match the pattern shown on the small image, shifting the rows of colorful Rolo-faces vertically and horizontally. Once you have finished one stage you'll start another one. Game automatically saves the stage you're in.
In addition to 70 unique easy and hard stages, you will receive more updates with new patterns soon."

The musical memory game Boulis: Beast Pop is also currently available for FREE.
"The Boulis are landing on Earth!
They sing melodies that you have to repeat without making any mistakes. Be carefull not to anger them !
Make them sing as long as possible, stimulate your memory and challenge your friends by posting your scores on facebook or twitter."

[quote name='omyard']I got tired of the lack of memory crashes and switched to Mercury is/was only 99 cents.[/QUOTE]

It's still @ $0.99 (I think it's normal price now). For me Atomic isn't the perfect browser (the private mode doesn't completely work), but I haven't really had issues with it. Plus, Atomic is higher positioned on the charts than Mercury (just checked, was a bit curious).

The main reason I bought Atomic was because they had Dropbox support, at first I was glancing at Downloads - Download Manager, but it seems the developer won't be supporting Dropbox (it has been requested for a while on his website but no response yet, and he has updated the app a couple of times already).

[quote name='Dimsdale']Zombies: The Last Stand has dropped to FREE for the first time. NOTE: This app requires fairly recent hardware to run.
"Inspired by Left 4 Dead by Valve, Zombies : The Last Stand is the ultimate mobile first person zombie shooter, with the most advanced graphics engine on a mobile phone to date!
FEATURES:
- Variety of guns, all upgradeable
- 25 increasingly difficult missions
- Unique types of zombies: Crawlers, walkers, runners, tanks, poppers, jumpers, jumping tanks, and even pygmy zombies.
- Leaderboards and achievements using Game Center
- Realtime shadows (only available on IOS 4)
- Normal mapping, detail mapping, parallax mapping
- Freedom to move anywhere in the 3D environment
- 3D Audio (best played with headphones)
- 7 spooky and exciting background music tracks"[/QUOTE]

not free anymore :whistle2:(

[quote name='Stry-ker']Phew I got it bout 30 mins ago[/QUOTE]

As did I.

Also, as was mentioned somewhere above (and all over the internet), Verizon is hacking $200 off the price of 1st generation iPads. Some are still around, at least here in NY. I picked up a 32GB for the kids for $399. Now I can use my 2nd G in peace.

Oh, and thanks for all the CAGs who keep this thread going. It's definitely saved me a lot of money, and steered me to some great iPad and iPhone games.

Heh. I keep saying that the App Store is an addiction. I originally wasn't going to buy any of the Trifecta games, sadly I couldn't resist and ended up getting the three of them. :(

Have some filthy fun with Filth Fair, available for FREE.
"How Dirty are you? – Find all 331 filth related words hidden in this dazzling painting.
Roll Up! Roll Up! The Filth Fair is Coming to Town! The Filth Fair is a hidden word game based around some amazing artwork. Every object in the beautiful main image can be selected by touch. Once selected you need to guess the word (or words) that describes that object. To help you in this challenge there is a cryptic clued, a simple hint and a jigsaw jumble. You can also earn 'Wild Stars' that reveal some of the hidden letters. Objects in the game have more than one word associated with them, which means in total there are 331 words to find! Can you reveal all of the hidden dirt in the Filth Fair? Medals and a grand trophy await the curious mind that can!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back