iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='pROvIs']Thing is iOS sales are not like the rest of the market. I don't know exact numbers but console games ~90% of sales are in the first 30 to 90 days. I doubt that is true on mobile. They can launch a game at $15 and get the 10% of their market for the first month, drop the price 50% next month on a sale and get another 20%, the item gets in the top 100 in the store and they get another 5% at full price until it falls, etc, etc.[/QUOTE]

The real game-changer from a business standpoint on iOS that distinguishes it from the consoles, probably more than anything else, is the lack of a physical inventory. When you're producing discs, cartridges, or whatever, you need to sell them as quickly as possible after you produce them -- otherwise, you've got not only the money that you've tied up in producing them, but also all of the costs associated with keeping an inventory, all cutting into your bottom line. When that's the case, it doesn't just matter how much money you make, it also matters how many units you move.

With iOS, since there is no physical inventory, there is less incentive to worry about moving products in quantity. If you can make the same amount of money for it selling it at $15.99 and selling half as many copies as you would selling it at $7.99, you might as well. In the long run, you probably even come out ahead, because all of those people who will hold out for a sale no matter what will then end up buying it at $7.99 instead of the $3.99 that you'd have had to discount it to if you'd charged the lower price for it initially.

Also worth noting, as far as Sqaure is concerned, giving it to you for $15.99 is giving you a discount compared to the DS price. When it came out on the DS, MSRP was what, $39.99? Even now, over four years later, it's still $19.99. And before you complain that it's an old game, remember, it was an old game when it came out on the DS as well. Every new version has a new set of development costs that have to be recouped.

And as for not liking paying MSRP, "I didn't pay MSRP for the DS version", etc. -- welcome to the world of the digital download. That's the biggest reason why I'm against the consoles going that way. I honestly couldn't care less about my ability to trade/sell my games, because I rarely do anyway, but I don't think I could stomach paying MSRP for everything. At least sales happen pretty regularly on iOS -- much less hit-or-miss than on the consoles. Still, I'm not at all pleased that things are headed in that direction.

[quote name='eliter1']This game is by no means aimed at the casual market and I understand that but I feel that even for hardcore gamers this must be a hard purchase at this price. I think these guys are going a little bit overboard with their pricing.[/QUOTE]

Apparently not, though, given that they made it to #3 (even if only briefly) on the top grossing chart, against casual games like Angry Birds and Tiny Wings that sell at $0.99 (again, remember, those games had to sell sixteen times as many copies to get there). If enough people are willing to pay it (as it seems they are) then they priced it right where they (from a business standpoint) should have. You've got the right idea, of course -- if you don't like it, don't buy it. The problem is that it really only sends a message if everyone does that, which apparently they haven't.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']The real game-changer from a business standpoint on iOS that distinguishes it from the consoles, probably more than anything else, is the lack of a physical inventory. When you're producing discs, cartridges, or whatever, you need to sell them as quickly as possible after you produce them -- otherwise, you've got not only the money that you've tied up in producing them, but also all of the costs associated with keeping an inventory, all cutting into your bottom line. When that's the case, it doesn't just matter how much money you make, it also matters how many units you move.

With iOS, since there is no physical inventory, there is less incentive to worry about moving products in quantity. If you can make the same amount of money for it selling it at $15.99 and selling half as many copies as you would selling it at $7.99, you might as well. In the long run, you probably even come out ahead, because all of those people who will hold out for a sale no matter what will then end up buying it at $7.99 instead of the $3.99 that you'd have had to discount it to if you'd charged the lower price for it initially.

Also worth noting, as far as Sqaure is concerned, giving it to you for $15.99 is giving you a discount compared to the DS price. When it came out on the DS, MSRP was what, $39.99? Even now, over four years later, it's still $19.99. And before you complain that it's an old game, remember, it was an old game when it came out on the DS as well. Every new version has a new set of development costs that have to be recouped.

And as for not liking paying MSRP -- welcome to the world of the digital download. That's the biggest reason why I'm against the consoles going that way. I honestly couldn't care less about my ability to trade/sell my games, because I rarely do anyway, but I don't think I could stomach paying MSRP for everything. At least sales happen pretty regularly on iOS -- much less hit-or-miss than on the consoles. Still, I'm not at all pleased that things are headed in that direction.[/QUOTE]

Very well said. I agree 100%.

Well another big issue with physical vs digital release is that you are under pressure to generate good buzz about your game and get things selling fast or it cuts in to your sales. Within just a week or two now the used market is flooded with games and retailers like Amazon offer as much as $20 off on these games. Physical games basically make most of their money right out the gate, yes they can have long legs and go on to sell millions more but at greatly reduced prices and the longer a game is out the easier it is to just grab the use copy.

Digital games really do not have that issue. Digital games can have long legs, they can release and be completely under everyone's radars but earn ever more money as word of mouth from gamers and sales spread news of the game. Yes sales cut in to the games profits and yes ideally they want the game to be amazing and have people hyped, but realistically its not required like it is with physical media. If a developer wanted to they could even release a buggy unbalanced mess of a game and still have it go on to be very profitable as they patch it with time and let word of mouth spread that the game is fixed/now amazing. Physical games again do not have that luxury, if people wait for patches to fix the game then the price will fall which cuts in to their bottom line.

Anyways, I always love seeing people talking about DD vs physical release. I think its a very interesting topic and something important to not just gaming's future but the future of media in general. I just wanted to raise this because it relates and I really do not think people take it in to consideration enough when weighing reasons digital can be profitable at lower prices.

[quote name='EGo94']Hey guys, I just wanted to know what are some good photo booth-esque apps for the iPhone. Any recommendations? I heard incredibooth is pretty good but that's really all I know of haha[/QUOTE]
CamWow is pretty high up on the freebie charts. Its free but you have to pay .99 to get rid of the watermark.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I just wanted to raise this because it relates and I really do not think people take it in to consideration enough when weighing reasons digital can be profitable at lower prices.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agreed, however, all of the points that you make also point to why sellers of digital media can afford to charge a higher price initially for their games. Square has very little to lose by selling FF III at $15.99 right now -- they'll get as many sales as they can at $15.99, and once those drop off, they'll put it on sale for $6.99 or $7.99 and catch all of those people who weren't willing to spend the higher price.

If they'd put it out at $7.99 now (and on sale for $3.99 later), they might have sold a few more copies right away, but they'd have lost that extra profit on those early sales, as well as the extra profit that they'd have made off of those people who will inevitably wait for it to go on sale regardless of the initial price. That middle ground, those people who would have bought it now for $7.99 but won't buy it for $15.99, will also be covered when that sale happens.

Basically, sure, they can be profitable at a lower price. But (again, thinking from a business standpoint, not my own standpoint as a customer), if they can do better at a higher price, why shouldn't they?

Also, keep in mind that we're talking Square Enix and Final Fantasy here. It's an entirely different game for them than it is for the smaller, iOS-only developers that no one has ever heard of. No one else would have gotten away with $12.99 for Chaos Rings (a new IP that no one had ever heard of, and a pretty mediocre one at that) either, but because it was from SE, everyone waited for it with anticipation. If anyone else had tried to sell a game like Final Fantasy III without having the FF name recognition behind it for $15.99, they'd have been laughed out of the room.

[quote name='arcane93']Absolutely agreed, however, all of the points that you make also point to why sellers of digital media can afford to charge a higher price initially for their games. Square has very little to lose by selling FF III at $15.99 right now -- they'll get as many sales as they can at $15.99, and once those drop off, they'll put it on sale for $6.99 or $7.99 and catch all of those people who weren't willing to spend the higher price.

If they'd put it out at $7.99 now (and on sale for $3.99 later), they might have sold a few more copies right away, but they'd have lost that extra profit on those early sales, as well as the extra profit that they'd have made off of those people who will inevitably wait for it to go on sale regardless of the initial price. That middle ground, those people who would have bought it now for $7.99 but won't buy it for $15.99, will also be covered when that sale happens.

Basically, sure, they can be profitable at a lower price. But (again, thinking from a business standpoint, not my own standpoint as a customer), if they can do better at a higher price, why shouldn't they?

Also, keep in mind that we're talking Square Enix and Final Fantasy here. It's an entirely different game for them than it is for the smaller, iOS-only developers that no one has ever heard of. No one else would have gotten away with $12.99 for Chaos Rings (a new IP that no one had ever heard of) either, but because it was from SE, everyone waited for it with anticipation. If anyone else had tried to sell a game like Final Fantasy III without having the FF name recognition behind it for $15.99, they'd have been laughed out of the room.[/QUOTE]

Well with Square I think its slightly different. First of Square is known for their high prices which are really starting to piss a lot of gamers off. Second off they are not releasing new and under the radar games, they are re releasing the same stuff we all know about. This means they are less likely to get word of mouth sales that spread slowly over time. I still think that Square has the right to sell their games at whatever price they want to.....but I also feel they are a lot like Sony and tend to price themselves out of the market frequently.

I guess Monday is a slow deals day for iOS. ;^)

I was going to mention Quad, which dropped to free and has a high average (though only 8 reviews), but this is one of the touted features:

"• No troublesome sounds"

It almost enough to get me to download it.

Zombie Drop is one of the new FAAD freebies.
"Zombie Drop is only the coolest physics based puzzle game available. Built from the ground up with a team of artists and programmers to bring you the best game experience possible.
Object:
Drop the Zombie down onto a metal block by destroying all the other blocks. Once all the blocks are gone and the zombie is on a metal block press the ZAPPER button to fry the zombie!
But watch out, hit the ground and it's all over and the zombie will eat you."

[quote name='Flowfaster']Anyone know how long the gameloft sale is going to be active?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Not sure why questions like this pop up so much. Do you seriously have to save up 99 cents to buy a game?

If you're not in a place where you can download it on your device, buy it as a gift to yourself. That way you lock in the price, and can put it on your phone when it's convenient.

[quote name='arcane93']The real game-changer from a business standpoint on iOS that distinguishes it from the consoles, probably more than anything else, is the lack of a physical inventory. When you're producing discs, cartridges, or whatever, you need to sell them as quickly as possible after you produce them -- otherwise, you've got not only the money that you've tied up in producing them, but also all of the costs associated with keeping an inventory, all cutting into your bottom line. When that's the case, it doesn't just matter how much money you make, it also matters how many units you move.

And as for not liking paying MSRP, "I didn't pay MSRP for the DS version", etc. -- welcome to the world of the digital download. That's the biggest reason why I'm against the consoles going that way. I honestly couldn't care less about my ability to trade/sell my games, because I rarely do anyway, but I don't think I could stomach paying MSRP for everything. At least sales happen pretty regularly on iOS -- much less hit-or-miss than on the consoles. Still, I'm not at all pleased that things are headed in that direction.
[/QUOTE]

While digital is more cost effective for a game publisher, that's all it is to us consumers. On the iPod it makes sense why there are so many sales. When there are so many damn games, it's hard to choose which games to buy and it's hard to even notice some games. Sales allow some way to get a app noticed. In the console world, this wont be true. Why would a company like EA have to discount their games, or put their games on sale? They could probably even put their games at full retail a lot longer than they would normally because there is no costs for discs, manuals, cases, etc. We would lose big time.

[quote name='keithp']Did you manage to get your iPad 2??[/QUOTE]

No luck last week. I might try again, but I might just wait until the one I have on order is supposed to arrive... sob... on the 14th ... sob.

[quote name='Poor2More']I hear discussions between Atomic and Mercury Browsers, whats the best one for IPad, even paid is okay with me, thanks[/QUOTE]

How do these differ from the included Safari?

Atomic for the fast tab browsing and download manager. I love it so far.

Edit: oh, and Drop Box support is pretty awesome, too.

[quote name='Poor2More']I hear discussions between Atomic and Mercury Browsers, whats the best one for IPad, even paid is okay with me, thanks[/QUOTE]

I bought the paid versions of both to try them (for 99 cents each, why the hell not?). I like both of them better than Safari -- having the tabs, full screen browsing, ad block, etc. is nice. I like the interface on Mercury a lot more, it feels a lot more slick and professional (especially the "wheel" control that comes up during full-screen browsing). However, from what I've seen so far, the Javascript engine appears to be slightly more robust on Atomic (though neither is perfect -- I can't actually type in a reply box on CAG in either, even though I can in Safari). Atomic also wins for having Dropbox support, for those who care about that (I don't really use it much myself, but I can see why people would want it).

Overall, I'd say that you can't really go wrong with either one. I have the feeling that the two follow each other closely enough that whenever one gets a big feature, it won't be long until the other has it as well. And either way, like I said, they're both an improvement over Safari.

[quote name='arcane93']I bought the paid versions of both to try them (for 99 cents each, why the hell not?). I like both of them better than Safari -- having the tabs, full screen browsing, ad block, etc. is nice. I like the interface on Mercury a lot more, it feels a lot more slick and professional (especially the "wheel" control that comes up during full-screen browsing). However, from what I've seen so far, the Javascript engine appears to be slightly more robust on Atomic (though neither is perfect -- I can't actually type in a reply box on CAG in either, even though I can in Safari). Atomic also wins for having Dropbox support, for those who care about that (I don't really use it much myself, but I can see why people would want it).

Overall, I'd say that you can't really go wrong with either one. I have the feeling that the two follow each other closely enough that whenever one gets a big feature, it won't be long until the other has it as well. And either way, like I said, they're both an improvement over Safari.[/QUOTE]

You can't type in a reply box on CAG? I had this problem. In settings change "identify browser as" to Mobile Safari -iPad, should do the trick for both.

[quote name='Stimes']You can't type in a reply box on CAG? I had this problem. In settings have you change "identify browser as" to Mobile Safari -iPad, should do the trick for both.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that worked, thanks.

How are the non-Starfront (because I don't care for RTS games) GameLoft sale games? I mean I know they're only .99 but I don't want to have another RPG on the iPod just sitting there to never be finished (like Zenonia).

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']How are the non-Starfront (because I don't care for RTS games) GameLoft sale games? I mean I know they're only .99 but I don't want to have another RPG on the iPod just sitting there to never be finished (like Zenonia).[/QUOTE]

I tried out the Zelda clone. It's actually pretty dang good so far.

Well I just ordered a 3DS. I was looking for some games to get and its pretty sad that most of the iOS games look to be better right now.

[quote name='jason506']Well I just ordered a 3DS. I was looking for some games to get and its pretty sad that most of the iOS games look to be better right now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah 3DS isn't gonna get good till the REAL games start coming out (Kid Icarus, Mario, Zelda, etc...). I cancelled my pre-order the day they announced the launch lineup

[quote name='Darknuke']Yeah 3DS isn't gonna get good till the REAL games start coming out (Kid Icarus, Mario, Zelda, etc...). I cancelled my pre-order the day they announced the launch lineup[/QUOTE]

I was going to wait but I traded in my DS lite and XL and that paid for alot of it. I'm hoping that the MGS game is really good. It would be really nice if they made a real Metal gear solid game for the iOS, though the long story doesn't really compliment the system well.

The longer the story in a MGS game, the greater the chance that you'll wind up having a hand possess someone's mind
(and then later have it retconned into being the guy merely faking the hand taking over his brain)
, women that are so abused they become emotionally damaged children in robotic animal suits, psychic puppets, talk about The Patriots trying to override the system
to become a system to end all systems to systematically systemize the system with system-based nuclear railgun systems that are
onboard systems on Metal Gear Ray systems versus Metal Gear Rex systems that want to systematically system the system until a system systemizes your brain...

...and you stare at the screen suddenly wondering why this one guy who is NOT Snake is whining a lot and squealing the name "Rose" over and over more than Jack Dawson on the Titanic. You wonder why it is that Snake is elsewhere doing real spy work while you're babysitting a twerp whose Titanic fetish has crossed over into some strange place where people whine because they simply cannot die.

This is called bloat. Good writers realize that when they edit their work, they actually trim OUT content. Bad writers go through their first draft and ADD content. Again and again. Metal Gear Solid was solid; MGS2 took the whole story off in some crazy direction that the series never really recovered from.

This franchise needs a reboot and a series of short episodic games that will help keep the writer focused and the games narrow enough to make sense. I want to be a spy.
Cybernetic Ninja
Whiners who love Titanic need not apply.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']The longer the story in a MGS game, the greater the chance that you'll wind up having a hand possess someone's mind
(and then later have it retconned into being the guy merely faking the hand taking over his brain)
, women that are so abused they become emotionally damaged children in robotic animal suits, psychic puppets, talk about The Patriots trying to override the system
to become a system to end all systems to systematically systemize the system with system-based nuclear railgun systems that are
onboard systems on Metal Gear Ray systems versus Metal Gear Rex systems that want to systematically system the system until a system systemizes your brain...

...and you stare at the screen suddenly wondering why this one guy who is NOT Snake is whining a lot and squealing the name "Rose" over and over more than Jack Dawson on the Titanic. You wonder why it is that Snake is elsewhere doing real spy work while you're babysitting a twerp whose Titanic fetish has crossed over into some strange place where people whine because they simply cannot die.

This is called bloat. Good writers realize that when they edit their work, they actually trim OUT content. Bad writers go through their first draft and ADD content. Again and again. Metal Gear Solid was solid; MGS2 took the whole story off in some crazy direction that the series never really recovered from.

This franchise needs a reboot and a series of short episodic games that will help keep the writer focused and the games narrow enough to make sense. I want to be a spy.
Cybernetic Ninja
Whiners who love Titanic need not apply.[/QUOTE]

So, how do you really feel?

Who cares? MGS Rising looks badass and will make up for any of the series' shortcomings IMO. Though, I guess I am in the minority in that i have enjoyed all the MGS games.

Puff Puff is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Use the awesome superpower of diodon holocanthus, the spiny puffer, to navigate two beautiful underwater worlds. Requires skill and precision to master the art of buoyancy control and stay alive!
This game allows you to use your iPhone’s multi-touch feature in a new and exciting way!
With stunning 2D and 3D art based on real-life, you’ll get the chance to explore underwater worlds without getting wet!!
The retro music and sound effects promise to lift your mood instantly!!!"

Thanks Dimsdale! I check this thread several times a day now which is pretty sad. I should really limit myself haha, but don't want to miss out on these cheap/free apps and games.

[quote name='litoeon']Thanks Dimsdale! I check this thread several times a day now which is pretty sad. I should really limit myself haha, but don't want to miss out on these cheap/free apps and games.[/QUOTE]

You are not alone my friend

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Tried checking and it seems that Mercury doesn't have Dropbox support :/[/QUOTE]
New update came out today, Mercury Web Browser has dropbox integration now.

[quote name='Karuto']Yes, I bought this the day TouchArcade reviewed it. It's captivating and includes a lot of laugh-out-loud moments. Highly recommended.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i just bought it for 5 bucks.. whatever, i wont eat lunch today.. played about 20 mins.. fantastic

[quote name='litoeon']Thanks Dimsdale! I check this thread several times a day now which is pretty sad. I should really limit myself haha, but don't want to miss out on these cheap/free apps and games.[/QUOTE]
I've been jonesing for more freebie news myself lately. We've been without an Internet connection here at work since last Thursday. Unreal. They finally sent someone out to replace the defective hardware. 'Bout time. The lack of connectivity has severely curtailed my CAG habit. That and this whole pesky "work" thing that keeps interfering with my quest for iOS deals. . .

[quote name='chrisg8888']monkey treats 1 now has a lite version for free and the paid is just a dollar.[/quote]

lol... JUNK.
Also, isn't there a rule about publishers not being allowed to post their own shit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back