iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='ViolentLee']ISUD: Bullet-Hell Action, has gone from $1.99 to free. This was on my wishlist, and getting a well-reviewed, non-space-hogging shmup for free is pretty awesome.
http://appshopper.com/games/isud[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Didn't even look at reviews for it. I had the demos for Espagaluda and one of the other Cave games, but I'll take this.

[quote name='crunchewy']Invaders World Tour 3 is free today only. It only has 5 reviews, but they are very positive. Will check it out later:

http://appshopper.com/games/invaders-world-tour-3

It's universal and even supports TV out.[/QUOTE]

I got really excited when I saw this game on Appshopper, I love the two games I have that support video out (Chopper 2 and The Incident) I plug my iPad into my TV via HDMI and play using my iPod touch for a controller via wifi. It's so cool. I can't get Invaders WT3 to work with my first gen iPod touch though. I downloaded it anyways on my iPad in case if there is an update or for if I ever get an iPhone.

Zoombie Digger is one of the new FAAD offerings.
"In this hilarious and funny game you have to protect your home from constant attacks by zombie monsters! Zombie elephants, bouncing zombies hedgehogs, tank-driving zombies crocodiles, giant zombie snails and many others will do everything to destroy your house, and only you can stop them!
Dig traps and bury your enemies underground. Complete levels to upgrade your weapons – from simple slings and bombs, to flying cows and falling anvils - use your arsenal to survive against the onslaughta of ruthless animal zombies!"

BattleZone 3D Eastern Front
is being highlighted on Great App a Day.
"BattleZone is a team-based massively multiplayer online action game dedicated to armored warfare. Eastern Front is the first episode of this game.
In BattleZone you can get into the epic tank battles of World War II with other steel cowboys all over the world. Your arsenal includes 8 armored vehicles from Germany, and the Soviet Union, carefully detailed with historical accuracy. More vehicles will be added soon with updates."

The social iPhone game Hotwired is also currently available for FREE.
"Hotwired is a great social game based on the classic game of running a metal loop along a twisted electric wire without touching the wire.
The greatest thing about Hotwired, is getting all your friends together, and watching them play in one-player mode, two-player mode or even in groups! It is also a great way to meet new girls and guys! See them all run around the device, practice interesting hand gestures, or end up in impossible positions, as they attempt to complete the mazes of twisted wires... It is the puzzle game that will challenge all their senses and teamwork."

[quote name='ViolentLee']According to Kotaku, THQ Wireless lost the Star Wars license. As a result, Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner is going to disappear from the App Store after March 31st. It's an augmented reality shooter mimicking the Millennium Falcon turret scene. It's $2.99 -- had been $0.99 earlier in the year, but if you're interested better buy it now!
http://appshopper.com/games/star-wars-arcade-falcon-gunner[/QUOTE]

Glad I bought it for a buck. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='Stimes']I'm still curious if SW Falcon Gunner works on the iPad2, it won't work on iPad due to the lack of camera. Anyone get it?[/QUOTE]

Some of the comments say it doesn't work on iPad 2. Crashes etc.

[quote name='ViolentLee']According to Kotaku, THQ Wireless lost the Star Wars license. As a result, Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner is going to disappear from the App Store after March 31st. It's an augmented reality shooter mimicking the Millennium Falcon turret scene. It's $2.99 -- had been $0.99 earlier in the year, but if you're interested better buy it now!
http://appshopper.com/games/star-wars-arcade-falcon-gunner[/QUOTE]

That probably affects battle for hoth as well. Haven't played it but it was on my wish list.

[quote name='Stimes']I'm still curious if SW Falcon Gunner works on the iPad2, it won't work on iPad due to the lack of camera. Anyone get it?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I just played it ... it was awesome. Didn't crash .. but then I only played the first part of the first level, but it definitely worked.

[quote name='etcrane']Actually, I just played it ... it was awesome. Didn't crash .. but then I only played the first part of the first level, but it definitely worked.[/QUOTE]

First level works fine for me as well :D

[quote name='etcrane']Actually, I just played it ... it was awesome. Didn't crash .. but then I only played the first part of the first level, but it definitely worked.[/QUOTE]

Just my luck. I bought it based on your coments and it just rebooted my iPad 2 a minute into the first level.

Plunderland is excellent on the iPhone but shines on the iPad, being a universal app ... it looks great and it's a fun game where you sail your ship across the level and take on imperial ships, hostile natives and eventually sea monsters.

The game offers upgrades to your ship for replay value and your crew grows as well and can be killed in each level until you lose your ship entirely.

It has great touch controls and looks great on the iPad. Highly recommended

And it shouldn't reboot your iPad ... unlike SW ... which technically still runs ;-)

+1 for Plunderland, a lot of fun so far, well worth a buck. Thanks everyone for the Falcon Gunner info also. Sucks it crashes, I'm still jealous I can't try it though.

So what's the verdict on pilot winds vs tiny wings? From what I can tell, pilot winds is like vegetable samurai to tiny wings' fruit ninja. Which one is better?

Btw, I prefer vegetable samurai to fruit ninja because it offers much more gameplay, even though it borrowed the concept from fruit ninja, hence my comparison.

IN for Plunderland based on your posts, It was buy milk for the kids or the game so Ill let em play a round if they start crying how hungry they are Thanks guys

[quote name='DtotheP']So what's the verdict on pilot winds vs tiny wings? From what I can tell, pilot winds is like vegetable samurai to tiny wings' fruit ninja. Which one is better?

Btw, I prefer vegetable samurai to fruit ninja because it offers much more gameplay, even though it borrowed the concept from fruit ninja, hence my comparison.[/QUOTE]

Having played TW first, Tiny Wings by a mile. Controls in that game are spot on. Iffy on the other.

Baseball Superstars 2011 Pro is on sale at $0.99 for ONE day! Grab the game before the season begins!

Ad Free DLC on sale at $0.99 for ONE day! Start swinging away for FREE in Baseball Superstars 2011.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/baseball-superstars-2011-pro/id398117601?mt=8

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/baseball-superstars-2011/id414173908?mt=8

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DtotheP']So what's the verdict on pilot winds vs tiny wings? From what I can tell, pilot winds is like vegetable samurai to tiny wings' fruit ninja. Which one is better?

Btw, I prefer vegetable samurai to fruit ninja because it offers much more gameplay, even though it borrowed the concept from fruit ninja, hence my comparison.[/QUOTE]
Let's just put it this way: Tiny Wings puts a big smile on my face every time I play it. Pilot Winds got deleted after one 5-minute session.

In freebies news, Return of the Bots has dropped to FREE for a limited time.
"After ages of secret research, soft soldering, and deep sleep... they are ON! Now it's all in your hands to keep them in shape and lead the way to freedom.
Seek, dodge and defeat!
Look around for micro-chips, hurry up! Deactivate them all to open the security gates. But watch out for enemies: shoot everything that comes in your way. Hit enemy props to power up your energy and pick up packages for enhanced fire power."

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Baseball Superstars 2011 Pro is on sale at $0.99 for ONE day! Grab the game before the season begins!

Ad Free DLC on sale at $0.99 for ONE day! Start swinging away for FREE in Baseball Superstars 2011.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/baseball-superstars-2011-pro/id398117601?mt=8

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/baseball-superstars-2011/id414173908?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Great, great game. Been having a real blast playing it, though I think my thumb has been developing callouses from pressing on the screen too hard when I bat. I have broken many a controller button from doing that. Anyway, there's a lot to do, with 43 games in a season, superstars to garner, areas to train and substitute your team, and goals to reach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pilot Winds is much better in paid form. The free mode you get isn't nearly as fun. Tiny Wings definitely wins on style, but Pilot Winds is also a good game, it has more modes to play (in paid form) and it has the bounce feature, which allows you to continue a combo if you are about to splat and time a tap just right. I'm not sure what the comment about the controls in Pilot Winds is about - Pilot Winds plays just as well. I think you really can't go wrong with either.

Disclaimer - I got a free unlock of Pilot Winds when I posted on toucharcade that the mode in the free version was pretty lousy. Squeaky wheel and all that. :)

Also, I'm in for ISUD: Bullet-Hell Action for free, and mulling over Plunderland.

EDIT: note that Tiny Wings and Pilot Winds are both variants on a free java game that, once again, I'm forgetting the name of offhand. Neither copies off of the other, rather they both copy off of that other game. They took that other game and expanded on it. EDIT2: ahh, it's called Wavespark. Search for it.

[quote name='crunchewy']Pilot Winds is much better in paid form. The free mode you get isn't nearly as fun. Tiny Wings definitely wins on style, but Pilot Winds is also a good game, it has more modes to play (in paid form) and it has the bounce feature, which allows you to continue a combo if you are about to splat and time a tap just right. I'm not sure what the comment about the controls in Pilot Winds is about - Pilot Winds plays just as well. I think you really can't go wrong with either.
[/QUOTE]

I used to think Tiny Wings was the better game and as far as smooth mechanics go, it probably is. But I also got an unlock code from TA and Pilot Winds is much better than it's lite version leads you to believe. I think in the long run there's more to do in PW and, while the controls don't seem as smooth at first, once you get used to them -- particularly the bounce mechanic -- it's just as fun as TW. I haven't deleted either off my iPod yet, but it would be a touch choice.

You don't really need to spend money on Baseball Superstars, though, or worry about not having the HD version. It looks great on my iPad 2. I have the free version, and aside from an ad or two that is delegated only to the main menu when you start the game itself, it looks like it's the exact same experience.

After watching a video of Plunderland, I'm definitely in for it at 99 cents. It looks really fun. Looks like it will be especially good on an iPad. I'm downloading it on my iPhone now and will check it out a bit later.

[quote name='crunchewy']Pilot Winds is much better in paid form. The free mode you get isn't nearly as fun. Tiny Wings definitely wins on style, but Pilot Winds is also a good game, it has more modes to play (in paid form) and it has the bounce feature, which allows you to continue a combo if you are about to splat and time a tap just right. I'm not sure what the comment about the controls in Pilot Winds is about - Pilot Winds plays just as well. I think you really can't go wrong with either.[/QUOTE]
Well, crap. Now you've got me thinking about re-installing PW. Hmmm. May have to re-evaluate it after I get home tonight. In the meantime, I can't wait to try out Plunderland during lunch. An easy blind buy for a buck.

Haha thanks for the tips guys. I should squeak my wheel in TA sometime.

Does BS2011 have retina graphics?

DocScanner is free today only. It has built-in OCR, and evernote and dropbox integration. Apparently the OCR is not spot-on, but free is free

App Store

Oh, and a plus to Pilot Winds is that it's a universal app. Tiny Wings is iPhone/iPod touch native only. Hopefully TW will get an update making it universal.

Plunderland seems fun so far, if easy. I'm not far in it yet, but definitely fun and seems worth the sale price.

[quote name='SilverBulletKY']Tomorrow is the last day to get FF1, FF2 and Chaos Rings at 50% off.[/QUOTE]

At 8 bucks is it worth it? Still expensive at 50% off.

[quote name='BREVITY']At 8 bucks is it worth it? Still expensive at 50% off.[/QUOTE]

Chaos Rings is 5.99. Final Fantasy 1 and 2 are 3.99 each. I'm probably going to get all 3 this evening. They all got great reviews and Chaos Rings got stellar reviews. I doubt they drop lower than these prices.

[quote name='SilverBulletKY']Chaos Rings is 5.99. Final Fantasy 1 and 2 are 3.99 each. I'm probably going to get all 3 this evening. They all got great reviews and Chaos Rings got stellar reviews. I doubt they drop lower than these prices.[/QUOTE]

Wanna bet a $1 on that :lol:

[quote name='SilverBulletKY']Chaos Rings is 5.99. Final Fantasy 1 and 2 are 3.99 each. I'm probably going to get all 3 this evening. They all got great reviews and Chaos Rings got stellar reviews. I doubt they drop lower than these prices.[/QUOTE]

Square Enix has always had sales with the release of new titles. The old games usually go 1/2 price to promote the new release. I don't think they've dropped much more than that ever.

I purchased Chaos Rings, and damn is it good. I love the control orb, in which you use to move your character, it feels so natural I actually forgot im playing it on a touch screen.

Anyone else not able to post replys on CAG from Atomic browser? I can't do quick replys or even regular replys...can't get keyboard to pop up.

Pocket Bugs is the new main FAAD game.
"You like squashing bugs with zillions of different weapons? You like shooting at pictures of your friends? You like trying out lots of different crazy guns? Then this is the game for you!"

The Impossible Test
is another highlighted FAAD offering.
"Do people make fun of you? Are they laughing with you, or at you? Do you think you can swipe, tilt, drag, shake and tap your way to victory? Get The Impossible Test and challenge your friends, family and co-workers to prove them wrong!
Play The Impossible Test and race to finish first! Complete many interactive levels that will challenge your mind! Compete with others to get the fastest time, and get an A on your report card!"

Great App a Day has BridgeBasher for its current freebie.
"BridgeBasher lets you design a bridge and then destroy it. Powered by a sophisticated physics engine, BridgeBasher realistically simulates your bridge reacting to destructive forces in real-time.
Create bridges in seconds through the bridge editor. If you make a mistake, simply tap the Undo button. Zoom in and out by pinching the screen and pan the view using a two finger drag."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back