iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='Poor2More']I purchased Chaos Rings, and damn is it good. I love the control orb, in which you use to move your character, it feels so natural I actually forgot im playing it on a touch screen.[/QUOTE]

I really wish Square would re-release their other games with the control orb. It does make for much better directional control.
Also loved playing through Chaos Rings. Got everyone up to top level. I got it at full price, and definitely recommend it at the sale price.

[quote name='Poor2More']I purchased Chaos Rings, and damn is it good. I love the control orb, in which you use to move your character, it feels so natural I actually forgot im playing it on a touch screen.[/QUOTE]

It's not bad. I got it last night too. The only thing is I'm still trying to figure out how the maps work and as soon as I get started looking 'BAM' battle sequence.

Sorry, if this is a bit off topic but how do you all organize your apps on device? I find I'm getting so many games that management through the launcher is unruly. I created folders, but they are ugly. Anyone have a solution?

[quote name='pROvIs']Sorry, if this is a bit off topic but how do you all organize your apps on device? I find I'm getting so many games that management through the launcher is unruly. I created folders, but they are ugly. Anyone have a solution?[/QUOTE]

Organize them within iTunes. You can drag and drop them all around however you want there. Click on your iPhone (or whatever) icon in the side bar and then click the Apps tab.

[quote name='crunchewy']Organize them within iTunes. You can drag and drop them all around however you want there. Click on your iPhone (or whatever) icon in the side bar and then click the Apps tab.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, I've used that a few times but I was hoping for something a bit more robust and hopefully could be more automated.

No the droid seems much more flexible when it comes to organization.. I hate that the auto arrange on the iPad and the fact it always puts new apps on a different page even if I have room on my main. Plus want to leave some spaces blank so I can better see my wallpaper

[quote name='slowpantz']Dungeon Defenders: First Wave - Dropped to $0.99 - Universal
"Epic Online Action-RPG meets Tower Defense: battle by yourself or with up to 3 friends! Adventure through a massive Campaign, compete in a new online PvP mode, shop for tons of goods & services, as you build the strongest hero in all Etheria in cross-platform play with the upcoming PC/Console versions!"

http://itunes.apple.com/app/dungeon-defenders-first-wave/id404296113?mt=8#[/QUOTE]

Does Dungeon Defenders have an offline campaign or is everything online. Just wondering if the game is still worth it for someone who does not really play online much.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Does Dungeon Defenders have an offline campaign or is everything online. Just wondering if the game is still worth it for someone who does not really play online much.[/QUOTE]
Yes, you can play offline. I bought it this morning hoping to play online with an iPad friend. I only played 4 waves but the controls seemed a bit wonky. I was constantly spinning in circles. It could just take getting used to /shrug

I'll give it a chance though since there aren't many universal online RPGs out there.

I have Dungeon Defenders from the last time it went on sale, but was pretty turned off by the controls, at least as played on my iPhone. I'm planning to try it again when I get my iPad, hoping it plays better on there. Also, though, I'm not sure I'm sold on the mix of RTS and action. I'm not sure it really does either thing well. But I didn't really give it a lot of time and there are certainly fans of this game so I'm wondering if was just missing something.

[quote name='pROvIs']Thank you, I've used that a few times but I was hoping for something a bit more robust and hopefully could be more automated.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing more you can do other than arranging through iTunes. That's why people jailbreak. I have Folderenhancer and I absolutely love my iPhone and the way it's organized. I only have 1 page and that's it, no need to scroll left or right to find stuff, just one folder dedicated to games and different folders for each category of apps I have. And to give you an idea of what it looks like, I only have 12 icons on my first (and only) page, 4 across the top row, 1 and 1 on the sides of second and third row, and 4 across the bottom row. My middle is open (or rather "blank") to show my wallpaper. I really can't stand the iPhone in its native form, but after jailbreaking it and customizing it completely to my liking, I can't imagine using another smartphone. My wife has a Droid X and though I haven't looked much in "rooting" it, I can't imagine the interface being as nice as my customized iPhone 4 is, and this is after hours of messing around with it and widgets trying to make it into something intuitive and aesthetically pleasing.

Dear Apple,

Please let go of my balls, it hurts.

Signed,
ZForce915

So my 3th generation iPod touch has a messed up headphone jack so I'm now in the market for a new mp3 player. As I weigh the pros and cons of different models the 4th gen touch rose to the top of my list. Apple has me right where they want me and I'm pissed about it, but not pissed enough to get a zune. You win Apple.

For the record my chief complaints were about ITunes and the jacked up calendar, is anyone else having an issue with all of their birthdays being off by one day?

[quote name='ZForce915']Dear Apple,

Signed,
ZForce915

So my 3th generation iPod touch has a messed up headphone jack so I'm now in the market for a new mp3 player. As I weigh the pros and cons of different models the 4th gen touch rose to the top of my list. Apple has me right where they want me and I'm pissed about it, but not pissed enough to get a zune. You win Apple.

For the record my chief complaints were about ITunes and the jacked up calendar, is anyone else having an issue with all of their birthdays being off by one day?[/QUOTE]

I've seen the calendar thing a few times and its usually a time zone issue. Do you sync with an online account? I've seen the time zone in that account affect the dates on your iphone because it compensates for the time change.

As far as a zune as good of a device as it is, I would stay away. Microsoft has ended the life of Zune and chances are they will never make another one. That makes your future options very limited.

[quote name='pROvIs']I've seen the calendar thing a few times and its usually a time zone issue. Do you sync with an online account? I've seen the time zone in that account affect the dates on your iphone because it compensates for the time change.

As far as a zune as good of a device as it is, I would stay away. Microsoft has ended the life of Zune and chances are they will never make another one. That makes your future options very limited.[/QUOTE]

I sync with my Outlook calendar and when I add appointments everything seems to be fine but the birthdays are all exactly one day off. I adjusted all of my contacts so that my birthdays were correct and had the reminders set to "day of" so that there would be no reason for the ipod to think about the birthday any other day except the day of.

As far as the time zone thing is concerned, do you know what needs to be adjusted?

[quote name='ZForce915']I sync with my Outlook calendar and when I add appointments everything seems to be fine but the birthdays are all exactly one day off. I adjusted all of my contacts so that my birthdays were correct and had the reminders set to "day of" so that there would be no reason for the ipod to think about the birthday any other day except the day of.

As far as the time zone thing is concerned, do you know what needs to be adjusted?[/QUOTE]

Check the time zone on your computer and on your device. in iOS its in settings/general/date and time/time zone. Windows you double click on the clock and if its win 7 click change time settings and then change time zone. just make sure they are the same GMT offset.

[quote name='pROvIs']Check the time zone on your computer and on your device. in iOS its in settings/general/date and time/time zone. Windows you double click on the clock and if its win 7 click change time settings and then change time zone. just make sure they are the same GMT offset.[/QUOTE]

I'll do that when I get my 4th gen in. Thanks.

Camera related? Ok, this probably isn't the best app, but I find it useful: Photogene. I do basic edits with it. Mainly rotating and scaling, for when posting stuff online, but it does more then that including color adjustments, sharpening and the like. I don't remember what it costs. There's probably something better out there now, but I got this early on and have been using it on occasion since.

[quote name='outphase']When Square Enix says "through March 31," it really means "through sunrise of March 31." Sale's over folks![/QUOTE]

They probably mean "through March 31 in Japan". It's already April 1 there. ;)

[quote name='pROvIs']Check the time zone on your computer and on your device. in iOS its in settings/general/date and time/time zone. Windows you double click on the clock and if its win 7 click change time settings and then change time zone. just make sure they are the same GMT offset.[/QUOTE]

I just migrated my calendars to google and use exchange sync to keep it upto date on my ipad

if you have multiple calendars with google you can enable them to sync here m.google.com/sync (had to do it from the ipad or it forwarded me to http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/) which did not work otherwise you will only get the primary. For my phone i use a droid so its nice to have contacts email & calendar synced accross devices.

[quote name='jjz203']There's nothing more you can do other than arranging through iTunes. That's why people jailbreak. I have Folderenhancer and I absolutely love my iPhone and the way it's organized. I only have 1 page and that's it, no need to scroll left or right to find stuff, just one folder dedicated to games and different folders for each category of apps I have. And to give you an idea of what it looks like, I only have 12 icons on my first (and only) page, 4 across the top row, 1 and 1 on the sides of second and third row, and 4 across the bottom row. My middle is open (or rather "blank") to show my wallpaper. I really can't stand the iPhone in its native form, but after jailbreaking it and customizing it completely to my liking, I can't imagine using another smartphone. My wife has a Droid X and though I haven't looked much in "rooting" it, I can't imagine the interface being as nice as my customized iPhone 4 is, and this is after hours of messing around with it and widgets trying to make it into something intuitive and aesthetically pleasing.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's because I'm used to it but I would much prefer the android launch/widget system or HTC Sense over the standard launcher of the iPad. It's a great device but its not without its shortcomings.

[quote name='ZForce915']Can anyone recommend 2-3 camera related apps that I should get for my 4th gen, not totaling over $3?[/QUOTE]

Photogene
Camera+
FX Photo Studio (just went in sale for $1 too)

I would also recommend Iris, Photoforge, Autostitch and CoolFX

[quote name='TheBigHouse']My reserved iPad2 finally came in at Best Buy - so I can finally install all of the apps I've acquired thanks to this thread - yes![/QUOTE]

How long did it take? I have a friend who reserved at Best Buy the week the iPad 2 came out and he is still waiting.

So I know this isn't a VIDEO game really, but I just bought MLB At Bat 11. I called their customer service and they said that this will provide me with all the live gameday audio. It blows me away that the app costs $15 and gives you the same thing the $19.99 per year MLB gameday audio feed does.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mobile/atbat/

For those interested I'll let you know my impressions soon.

[quote name='Cimpy101']So I know this isn't a VIDEO game really, but I just bought MLB At Bat 11. I called their customer service and they said that this will provide me with all the live gameday audio. It blows me away that the app costs $15 and gives you the same thing the $19.99 per year MLB gameday audio feed does.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mobile/atbat/

For those interested I'll let you know my impressions soon.[/QUOTE]

Ok so I'm listening to the MIL vs CIN game live through this app. So far so good!!!

To elaborate on what I was talking about before, MLB.com offers a service for 19.99 a year that allows you to listen to the game audio live over the internet. This 14.99 app gives you the same service and more.

I now realize that I'll have to buy a new app for the 2012 season, but I think I'll use it a lot. Very cool!

[quote name='roninld']How long did it take? I have a friend who reserved at Best Buy the week the iPad 2 came out and he is still waiting.[/QUOTE]

I didn't reserve until the Wednesday after the release day (the 16th) and they called yesterday (2 weeks). I was 4th on the list for a black 64GB Verizon one.

[quote name='ZForce915']Dear Apple,

Signed,
ZForce915

For the record my chief complaints were about ITunes and the jacked up calendar, is anyone else having an issue with all of their birthdays being off by one day?[/QUOTE]

My 2G did the same thing. You Can buy a Remote for it, like I did, or a bluetooth headset. Or wait for the next iPod Touch, you know it is coming and it is gonna blow minds.

Rolando 2 has never gone below $4.99 in its almost 2-year history. More than happy to snatch it up. Rolando 1 was one of the first apps I ever bought. According to AppShopper, it's never dropped below $2.99 before.
Excellent time to pick up excellent iPhone-exclusive games!

[quote name='pROvIs']I haven't played either. What types of games are these and should I just buy 2 or go for 1 as well?[/QUOTE]

I have the same question.

EDIT: Who am I kidding, I'm 90% sure that I'm getting both of them. Lol.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I have the same question.

EDIT: Who am I kidding, I'm 90% sure that I'm getting both of them. Lol.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I picked up both about 15 minutes after my question.

Rolando and Rolando 2 were also update for retina graphics! Too bad they didn't toss in a universal update, but given how "old" these games are, I think we can be pretty thankful to get any kind of update, not mention the sale. I bought Rolando 2 to go along with the Rolando 1 ... which I haven't really ever played. Backlog victim. Not sure why not - they're apparently both really good. Better late then never....

Legendary wars received an upgrade to include retinal display and dropped to 99 cents.

Really disappointed with the controls for death race, in fact I would recommend against buying it. When will I learn to stop buying games with virtual sticks for controls?

[quote name='prayformojo']Legendary wars received an upgrade to include retinal display and dropped to 99 cents.

Really disappointed with the controls for death race, in fact I would recommend against buying it. When will I learn to stop buying games with virtual sticks for controls?[/QUOTE]

Anyone know if the Legendary Wars people plan on making this app universal, or will they release a separate ipad version?

I googled this and found a press release from the devs that says "We can’t wait to bring Legendary Wars to the iPad platform in the coming weeks.” which doesn't really answer my question but I just KNOW that I'm going to buy the iphone version for my ipad only to have to rebuy a new version again in a few weeks for full price, because that's just my luck :(

[quote name='DtotheP']Hey Dimms have you seen this Boss Pedal Sketch app? When I was a teenager I wanted all of these, but ended up getting a multi-effect processor. Anyway, free app.

App Store[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I remember seeing that app and thinking that it did virtual recreations of various Boss pedals. Unfortunately, that ain't so. It's main function seems to be as a sort of visual notepad for you to remember your settings on the pedals it depicts. I guess that might come in handy for some. My pedal board is a weird mashup of all kinds of stuff these days. I have TC Electronics stuff next to el-cheapo bargains next to boutique hand-built noisemakers. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, though.

Went ahead and bought the two Rolando games (because I just don't have quite a big enough backlog as it is) and I'll be sucking down this freebie as well:
Big Time Gangsta is the new FAAD featured game.
"Small time thugs don't survive these streets
The streets of Mission Hill are as deadly as it gets. Build up your gang from the toughest bunch of STREET SOLDIERS, ex-cons and wanted crooks roaming the blocks. To survive and thrive in these dangerous neighborhoods you need to TAKE OUT RIVAL GANGS before they get to you first. HUSTLING and dealing, SHOOTING and stealing is the only way to take these streets, earn COLD HARD CASH and OWN THE CITY"

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back