Iraqi Woman severely beaten in Cali, note says "Go back to your own country."

Everybody wants to think this is their country all of us should go back home and give the native americans their land back if this is the case thats all that matters in this country nowadays is the color of your skin well its always been that way but damn america you make me ashamed to be a citizen this country acts like a big kid that will never grow up and get out its childish ways

How many times have we seen angry Iraqis telling Americans to GTFO of Iraq? This guy is saying to someone, who I'm guessing is a legal immigrant, to get out of his country when we've invaded and occupied the poor woman's native country? God damn that's fucked up. If only she could have replied with "I will when when you get the fuck out of mine".

The invasion was probably the only positive thing we've done for Iraq in decades. Not to say that makes up for anything, but I don't think that would have been her sentiments.

[quote name='Clak']How many times have we seen angry Iraqis telling Americans to GTFO of Iraq? This guy is saying to someone, who I'm guessing is a legal immigrant, to get out of his country when we've invaded and occupied the poor woman's native country?[/QUOTE]
We should not be involved in the Middle East militarily. Our kind of aggression breeds resentment for people back home, who prey on people who are otherwise law abiding. If we instead traded with Middle Eastern countries, that would be a kind of mutual beneficial act that breeds friendship. At the very least, it would cause indifference, which is better than resentment.

I see a kind of parallel to World War II in which we were fighting the "Japs" and some saw Japanese-Americans as the enemy at home. It makes no sense.

EVEN IF you are a war-monger, it still makes no sense to fight the "enemy" at home. The coward should enlist and go after real terrorists, if he can find them, assuming we aren't responsible for creating them in the first place.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The invasion was probably the only positive thing we've done for Iraq in decades. Not to say that makes up for anything, but I don't think that would have been her sentiments.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't go that far.

I don't know, was that hyperbole? The U.S. seems pretty ineffective at nation building, but the country isn't exactly a death camp anymore.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I don't know, was that hyperbole? The U.S. seems pretty ineffective at nation building, but the country isn't exactly a death camp anymore.[/QUOTE]
Well, I guess you could say that if it wasn't for the invasion, we wouldn't have left, but we haven't exactly left yet? I believe we still have a lot contractors out there eventhough we've left a skeleton crew of military personnel compared to what we've had the past few years.

While it's not currently a death camp of the same scale as before, I can't even imagine the kinds of problems they'll have in a few years with all of the irradiated land from depleted uranium munitions.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I don't know, was that hyperbole? The U.S. seems pretty ineffective at nation building, but the country isn't exactly a death camp anymore.[/QUOTE]

From what I hear it was better off before the 1,000,000+ deaths that came after the invasion.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/09/06/fear-still-reigns-iraq-even-after-saddam.html

As a Shiite Muslim who was interrogated by Iraq's secret police and lost her job because she would not join the regime's Baath Party, Fawzia al-Attia should feel safer now that Saddam Hussein is no longer in power. She does not.

Death threats and Baghdad's daily bombings have made al-Attia more afraid than she was during Saddam's reign of terror, she says.

"Before, I couldn't say anything in my own home," said al-Attia. "But at least I was safe. I was only afraid of Saddam. It is not like now. Now, you open the door to your home and you could get killed."
After America shows up, it doesn't quite get better. Yes, there is a legit debate over whether or not Iraq is better off now than under Saddam.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500202_162-1649689.html

There is someone, however, who does believe Iraq is much better off now than under Saddam.

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=52549

Are you surprised?

[quote name='dohdough']I wouldn't go that far.[/QUOTE]
They're better off in theory, at this point I'd say only in theory.

[quote name='Clak']They're better off in theory, at this point I'd say only in theory.[/QUOTE]
Right, I agree. I'd say the jury is still out on this because not that much time has passed since the withdrawal. It'll be at least a decade before we see the structural and institutional changes for better or worse.

[quote name='dohdough']I wouldn't go that far.[/QUOTE]

Neither would I. Now religious violence is at a modern high, their infrastructure, which was once decent, is now rubble. New social ills like prostitution and overt drug use has popped up. A generation of kids are growing up with dead/murdered fathers and families. In the past their rage may have been directed at the evil dictator, Saddam. Now it's directed to an entire country and its residents...Americans. I was much safer before the Iraq invasion than I am today.

Additionally, we invaded Iraq to thwart their non-existant WMD program, remember? It wasn't to remove Saddam.

The war has been a complete disaster. We have helped create the terrorists of the future...while watching our gas prices that we care so much about, continue to rise. Saddam's dead, now more people than before are in worse shape. The cup isn't half full or half empty, the cup exploded when a suicide bomber blew himself up next to it while a drone dropped a bomb on him.

[quote name='Rockinjs']this country acts like a big kid that will never grow up and get out its childish ways[/QUOTE]

Make ssense, we've only been a formed country for about 1/10th the time of the countries with which we are presently at war.

[quote name='berzirk']Neither would I. Now religious violence is at a modern high, their infrastructure, which was once decent, is now rubble. New social ills like prostitution and overt drug use has popped up. A generation of kids are growing up with dead/murdered fathers and families. In the past their rage may have been directed at the evil dictator, Saddam. Now it's directed to an entire country and its residents...Americans. I was much safer before the Iraq invasion than I am today. [/quote]

I haven't been awfully impressed with our progress yet, either, but there is still much work to be done. If Iraq and the world was better off because things were simply "safer" under Saddam, then that's a depressing view on things indeed. Keep it like North Korea because at least they're safer, I suppose.

Additionally, we invaded Iraq to thwart their non-existant WMD program, remember? It wasn't to remove Saddam.
Yeah, Bush exaggerated the reasoning for the war to the general public. Although it's easy to see he was planning on going in regardless. We had a hand in destroying that country to begin with, placed Saddam there, didn't get rid of him when we had the chance 20 years ago, and now a key part of the world's oil economy was a death camp for its inhabitants and a harbor to extremists. If we hadn't intervened, someone else would have, and I don't think anyone would want to see what could have come of that. The president sugar coated things, but these facts were available to anyone who wanted to delve deeper. Iraq had already long violated the criteria for warranted military intervention, and the U.S. of all nations held the most responsibility in the matter.

The war has been a complete disaster. We have helped create the terrorists of the future...while watching our gas prices that we care so much about, continue to rise. Saddam's dead, now more people than before are in worse shape. The cup isn't half full or half empty, the cup exploded when a suicide bomber blew himself up next to it while a drone dropped a bomb on him.

I don't like the apologetic view for Islamic extremism, it's a war that's been waging for centuries and it can be rekindled for something as minor as a Danish cartoon of muhammad. There's no sense in pretending we don't have a serious issue on our hands, or that we are somehow asking for it because we're now fighting it.

And going back centuries we see western powers meddling in places they neither understand nor have any business meddling in. As far as ousting Saddam during desert storm goes, that was one of the few smart decisions Bush Sr. made. Had we stayed and fought this war back then we'd be dealing with the repercussions now and the 90s wouldn't have been as prosperous as they were.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I haven't been awfully impressed with our progress yet, either, but there is still much work to be done.[/QUOTE]

Much work to be done? Yikes, like what? It's reverted to tribalism and radical religious leaders now ruling parts of the country instead of a centralized dictator, which hasn't improved most of the Iraqi people's lives.

didn't get rid of him when we had the chance 20 years ago, and now a key part of the world's oil economy was a death camp for its inhabitants and a harbor to extremists.

He signed a treaty, and left Kuwait (which by the way, politically was brilliant because he tried to stage it as "we'll leave if Israel leaves the disputed areas in Israel/Palestine that the US so strongly supports"). Saddam was a secular, arab-nationalist. They didn't harbor extremists. That would have been completely against his rule and personal philosophy. He killed people based on the threat to his power as a dictator.

If we hadn't intervened, someone else would have

WHO!!!? Nobody else considers themselves the world police. Nobody else had the resources or the war drum ability to convince a nation that invading another country was a grand idea. Saying al-qaeda was there allowed for it to be palatable to Americans. The last Gulf War was so noble. Get Saddam out of Kuwait, he invaded a country. That's bad (well, and he has lots of oil).

Iraq had already long violated the criteria for warranted military intervention, and the U.S. of all nations held the most responsibility in the matter.

How? And what did he do that was so egregious that other countries didn't do? South African government? Multiple West-African countries? Sudan, Congo, Libya, the Balkans? There was a horseshit justification for going to war in Iraq while turning a blind eye to similar situations worldwide.

I don't like the apologetic view for Islamic extremism, it's a war that's been waging for centuries and it can be rekindled for something as minor as a Danish cartoon of muhammad. There's no sense in pretending we don't have a serious issue on our hands, or that we are somehow asking for it because we're now fighting it.

How many attacks were there on US soil by those muzzies who hate us? A couple? When did they take place? Over the last 20 years. Centuries of conflict with the West? The US' biased handling of international conflict is giving the terrorists of tomorrow the fuel to operate. Our foreign policy is so bad, and so one-sided and transparent, that even our allies have a hell of a time going to war with us. It's like the ghost of foreign policymakers past keep coming back from the dead saying, "Well, communism is basically dead, who should we start picking a fight with now?" I have spent considerable time in the middle east. They didn't hate us in the summer of 2001 when I lived in Saudi Arabia, and they damn sure didn't hate us for our "freedoms". The rage in the middle east is 99% based on the situation between the Palestinians and Israelis, and 1% about the huge military presence in Arab countries (which the Saudi's desparately need to keep their corrupt monarch in power). If the US got the hell out of the way and let the international community assist in resolution, or make the Israelis and Palestinians do it at their expense, we would have a very different result, and IMO be better off than we currently are with the US sucking off Netanyahu while he keeps pissing in our face.

[quote name='Clak']And going back centuries we see western powers meddling in places they neither understand nor have any business meddling in. As far as ousting Saddam during desert storm goes, that was one of the few smart decisions Bush Sr. made. Had we stayed and fought this war back then we'd be dealing with the repercussions now and the 90s wouldn't have been as prosperous as they were.[/QUOTE]

Bush Sr was amazing in the way he handled the Gulf War. Had a noble cause excuse, we got in, got out. Minimal civilian casualties. Minimal American casualties. Sr's roots in intel were extremely beneficial. I know the last name is tarnished horribly because of his inept son, but IMO Bush Sr was the greatest President that has served in my lifetime. Hell, his downfall was promising no new taxes, then raising taxes to cover spending (that and Perot taking a ton of votes from him). 90% of this forum believes in raising taxes in some way, shape or form. Bush Sr actually did it.

Well to make the point though, he did it (raise taxes) because he was forced, not because he wanted to. There's an ideological difference there.

[quote name='berzirk']Much work to be done? Yikes, like what? It's reverted to tribalism and radical religious leaders now ruling parts of the country instead of a centralized dictator, which hasn't improved most of the Iraqi people's lives. [/quote]

I don't know what to say here. I said there's much work to be done, and you just restated why there's much work to be done.

He signed a treaty, and left Kuwait (which by the way, politically was brilliant because he tried to stage it as "we'll leave if Israel leaves the disputed areas in Israel/Palestine that the US so strongly supports"). Saddam was a secular, arab-nationalist. They didn't harbor extremists. That would have been completely against his rule and personal philosophy. He killed people based on the threat to his power as a dictator.

Didn't Saddam erect mosques in his name, have his own version of the Koran written in his own blood (according to him), and placed an islamic verse on the nation's flag? I may be wrong, I've just heard these commonly thrown around, among examples of Iraq funding Islamic extremism, and I could try to look this all up later tonight, but I thought these were widely thrown around points of interest. Always happy to learn new facts though if these are indeed not true!

Also all that talk of how Abdul Rahman Yasin found refuge in Baghdad after his partaking in the 93 attack on the WTC, and Abu Nidal living in a wealthy residence under Saddam's protection until the invasion. I thought the general impression of our CIA these days is that they have no idea what they're doing. Again, something I'd like to learn more about, just throwing this out for the sake of discussion.

WHO!!!? Nobody else considers themselves the world police. Nobody else had the resources or the war drum ability to convince a nation that invading another country was a grand idea. Saying al-qaeda was there allowed for it to be palatable to Americans. The last Gulf War was so noble. Get Saddam out of Kuwait, he invaded a country. That's bad (well, and he has lots of oil).
I didn't mean in terms of world police, we have plenty of enemies in the region that would love to use the imploding state of a crime family to their own benefit.

How? And what did he do that was so egregious that other countries didn't do? South African government? Multiple West-African countries? Sudan, Congo, Libya, the Balkans? There was a horseshit justification for going to war in Iraq while turning a blind eye to similar situations worldwide.

If you want to talk about the failures of the U.S. and the U.N.'s foreign policy in other regions, I can sit in agreement with you for the entirety of a new thread. But as it stands, Iraq committed genocide on its own people, aided international criminals, held and used weapons of mass destruction, and invaded neighboring countries. All of these done repeatedly, no less. If Bush made a poor case for the war, then so he did, but the justification is as good as any if you look at the situation yourself and not through the words of a politician.

How many attacks were there on US soil by those muzzies who hate us? A couple? When did they take place? Over the last 20 years. Centuries of conflict with the West? The US' biased handling of international conflict is giving the terrorists of tomorrow the fuel to operate. Our foreign policy is so bad, and so one-sided and transparent, that even our allies have a hell of a time going to war with us. It's like the ghost of foreign policymakers past keep coming back from the dead saying, "Well, communism is basically dead, who should we start picking a fight with now?" I have spent considerable time in the middle east. They didn't hate us in the summer of 2001 when I lived in Saudi Arabia, and they damn sure didn't hate us for our "freedoms". The rage in the middle east is 99% based on the situation between the Palestinians and Israelis, and 1% about the huge military presence in Arab countries (which the Saudi's desparately need to keep their corrupt monarch in power). If the US got the hell out of the way and let the international community assist in resolution, or make the Israelis and Palestinians do it at their expense, we would have a very different result, and IMO be better off than we currently are with the US sucking off Netanyahu while he keeps pissing in our face.

The situation in the Middle East has been known to the United States since the Barbary Wars of the late 18th and early 19th century. It was a war over trade, but nonetheless introduced a very young U.S. to theocratic regimes and how they operate. Even their ambassadors claimed they could attack U.S. trading vessels because the Koran allowed for it.

Not comparing that with what we have on our hands now, of course the situations are very different, but there is a history.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I don't know what to say here. I said there's much work to be done, and you just restated why there's much work to be done.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. To me, that's like learning someone has a tumor in their leg, so you walk up, chop off their leg, then tell them they're welcome. The reason why there is much work to be done is because we borked the whole thing so bad.

Didn't Saddam erect mosques in his name, have his own version of the Koran written in his own blood (according to him), and placed an islamic verse on the nation's flag? I may be wrong, I've just heard these commonly thrown around, among examples of Iraq funding Islamic extremism, and I could try to look this all up later tonight, but I thought these were widely thrown around points of interest. Always happy to learn new facts though if these are indeed not true!

I had never heard of the "Blood Quran" but apparently such a thing exists...sort of. According to the wiki page:
the Umm al-Ma'arik (Mother Of All Battles) mosque in Baghdad, erected by Saddam to commemorate the 1990-91 Gulf War and designed with minarets in the shape of Scud missiles and Kalashnikov rifle barrels.
Other reports have questioned the official Saddam Hussein government version of how much blood was donated in the making of the Qur'an (or if it was even Saddam's blood in the first place). Reporter Philip Smucker reported in Baghdad on July 29, 2001; "Most striking is the dubious and totally unverifiable claim that Saddam donated nearly 50 pints of his own blood for the writing of a Koran." Smucker also wrote: "Western diplomats based in Baghdad are unimpressed with the Iraqi leader's religious devotion, dismissing the mosque and its holy book written in blood as a crude publicity stunt. 'How can we be sure this is Saddam's blood and not that of some of his victims?' one asked."

So a mosque with rifles and missiles for minarets, and severe doubts regarding Saddam's devotion. Not to mention, it was common knowledge that he had mistresses and a strong fondness for alcohol, both against the religion of Islam.

Also all that talk of how Abdul Rahman Yasin found refuge in Baghdad after his partaking in the 93 attack on the WTC, and Abu Nidal living in a wealthy residence under Saddam's protection until the invasion. I thought the general impression of our CIA these days is that they have no idea what they're doing. Again, something I'd like to learn more about, just throwing this out for the sake of discussion.

Looks like Yasin (who is Iraqi) was a bargaining chip:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Rahman_Yasin#Return_to_Iraq.2C_1993

But as it stands, Iraq committed genocide on its own people,

And so have LOTS of other countries that we haven't invaded or even condemned publicly.

aided international criminals

Which America has done too

held and used weapons of mass destruction

No they didn't. They used (allegedly) chemical warfare, which is illegal, much like the phosphorous rounds that Israel (allegedly) used against the Lebanese in their recent conflict. We did not invade Israel either.

and invaded neighboring countries

Which America has done repeatedly throughout its history.

If Bush made a poor case for the war, then so he did, but the justification is as good as any if you look at the situation yourself and not through the words of a politician.

It's now common knowledge that there were no WMDs and many international advisors pleaded to be heard as they proclaimed this. The next plan then was to say al-qaeda was all over Iraq. This was proven as a lie too. So Plan C eventualy became, "Yah, well we can get Saddam!" That wasn't a good enough reason to raize the country and send it into a social, political, and economic spiral.

The situation in the Middle East has been known to the United States since the Barbary Wars of the late 18th and early 19th century. It was a war over trade, but nonetheless introduced a very young U.S. to theocratic regimes and how they operate. Even their ambassadors claimed they could attack U.S. trading vessels because the Koran allowed for it.

Didn't Bush proclaim a "Crusade" against those who attacked us on 9/11? Barbary Pirates attacking US ships in the ocean shortly after Captain Jack Sparrow was getting a tan, is a wee bit different from setting up military bases all over another countries' land and bombing their cities and political leaders to death, then staying after your "objectives" have been completed in the name of safety and stability (which neither have improved under American control). There is no comparison whatsoever.

Not comparing that with what we have on our hands now, of course the situations are very different, but there is a history

Uh, I'm not trying to be a total ass, but after using that as historical juxtaposition when piracy in the 1800's wasn't being discussed previously, you are kind of using it as comparison.

There is extensive history of early Islamic populations actually getting along exceptionally well with their non-Muslim neighbors. In fact, according to wiki:

Umar ibn al-Khattab signed a treaty with Monophysite Christian Patriarch Sophronius, assuring him that Jerusalem's Christian holy places and population would be protected under Muslim rule. When led to pray at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the holiest site for Christians, the caliph Umar refused to pray in the church so that Muslims would not request converting the church to a mosque. He prayed outside the church, where the Mosque of Umar (Omar) stands to this day, opposite the entrance to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre

But in contemporary history, there have been very, very, VERY few attacks on Americans on American soil by foreign terrorists. This does not warrant tens of thousands of deaths of innocents in other countries, nor does it warrant the deaths of thousands of American soldiers. Get them the eff out of there before more get killed.

Edit: And just wanted to throw in a quick note-not trying to be an asshole in my reply, it's just something I'm really passionate about, as I personally know of 2-3 dear friends who have had their families assassinated in Iraq for being the minority in the new Iraq. I think a lot of the things like mosques, blood quran, etc, are nifty buzzwords and phrases, but their significance beyond a one liner on the crawl of a Fox News broadcast is probably about as much as it's worth. IMO there was no justification for this war, and it has ruined a ton of lives (both American and Iraqi), and has been a completely pointless tragedy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, ironically, some majority Muslim countries were actually quite tolerant of other religions years ago, even more so than most majority Christian (ie European) countries of the time. They weren't always the hard line conservative nations we think of today. But no one would know that without 1) studying history, and 2) opening their mind, two things many people seem unwillingly to do much of the time.

I have to side with berzirk on this one.

If I remember my world history correctly, Muslims were relatively nice to non-Muslims in the ancient world. Sure, you had to pay a tax to keep your faith, but at least they didn't try to completely wipe your culture from the face of the earth, unlike some of their later western neighbors.

[quote name='dohdough']I have to side with berzirk on this one.

If I remember my world history correctly, Muslims were relatively nice to non-Muslims in the ancient world. Sure, you had to pay a tax to keep your faith, but at least they didn't try to completely wipe your culture from the face of the earth, unlike some of their later western neighbors.[/QUOTE]

And actually the tax was even less severe. It's technically against the religion to destroy vegetation or the house of worship when at war with an opponent too, oh but back to tax, muslims were required to pay a poor tax (zakat) along with many being required to serve in the military. Since the Christians and Jews weren't paying the zakat to the Islamic government, they had a different tax to pay. I truly don't know if it was more than the zakat, but if so, one could make the argument that since they weren't required to serve in the military, but the military would defend a church or synagogue in their territory as strongly as if it were a mosque, you could say they were paying a security tax as well. Getting military protection without having to serve.

Of course modern so-called Muslim countries are run by a bunch of crooks and criminals, but in its early stages when people were following the tenets more closely, there were very good relations between muslims and Jews and Christians for the most part (polytheists or atheists admittedly being a different story).

I'll never forget a friend of mine trying to compare Christian suffering to that of pagans and/or atheists. I think that's one sad thing that unites most followers of the Abrahamic religions, none of them like atheists. Muslims, Jews, and Christians may not agree on much, but none of them seem to like the faithless.

[quote name='berzirk']And actually the tax was even less severe. It's technically against the religion to destroy vegetation or the house of worship when at war with an opponent too, oh but back to tax, muslims were required to pay a poor tax (zakat) along with many being required to serve in the military. Since the Christians and Jews weren't paying the zakat to the Islamic government, they had a different tax to pay. I truly don't know if it was more than the zakat, but if so, one could make the argument that since they weren't required to serve in the military, but the military would defend a church or synagogue in their territory as strongly as if it were a mosque, you could say they were paying a security tax as well. Getting military protection without having to serve.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for filling in my gaps in knowledge. The text we used for class was more focused on Mohammed and the Shi'ite/Sunni split with the ensuing struggles...and of course, the Crusades.

[quote name='nasum']Make ssense, we've only been a formed country for about 1/10th the time of the countries with which we are presently at war.[/QUOTE]

Iraq gained independence from the United Kingdom in 1932. It's current borders have only been in effect since 1920. Before that, it was ruled by the Ottoman Empire. Iraq has been populated since the beginning of recorded time but that doesn't mean it's had a stable (or even sovereign) government the entire time.

[quote name='Clak']I'll never forget a friend of mine trying to compare Christian suffering to that of pagans and/or atheists. I think that's one sad thing that unites most followers of the Abrahamic religions, none of them like atheists. Muslims, Jews, and Christians may not agree on much, but none of them seem to like the faithless.[/QUOTE]

Do you usually find it easy to like or get along with people that openly think you're an ignorant simpleton that isn't as enlightened, wise, or evolved as they are?

[quote name='thrustbucket']Do you usually find it easy to like or get along with people that openly think you're an ignorant simpleton that isn't as enlightened, wise, or evolved as they are?[/QUOTE]

And right on time, the Christian persecution complex rears it's ugly head.

It's getting so I can time a watch to it...

[quote name='Spokker']Arabs have seen better days, like when they were inventing algebra and shit.[/QUOTE]

America has seen better days, like when we were going to the moon and shit.

[quote name='camoor']America has seen better days, like when we were going to the moon and shit.[/QUOTE]
Some would say that those days weren't that great, but that's for another thread.

Although, I'm surprised that Spokker didn't link that story about Muslims in the UK beating up a white woman cause...you know...it's the same thing.

No it isn't

On the actual subject of the thread - no one thinks the notes might be a cover and this is some kind of domestic violence, or at the most extreme, an honor killing? Seems odd that there haven't been reports about any forced entry, etc.

[quote name='dohdough']
Although, I'm surprised that Spokker didn't link that story about Muslims in the UK beating up a white woman cause...you know...it's the same thing.[/QUOTE]
A group of Muslim women in the UK did beat up a white woman, calling her white slag in the process. They got off light because the judge was convinced they were intoxicated and not used to the effects of alcohol because of their faith. On the other hand, that tram experience lady spent time in jail and last I heard was on trial.

[quote name='kodave']On the actual subject of the thread - no one thinks the notes might be a cover and this is some kind of domestic violence, or at the most extreme, an honor killing? Seems odd that there haven't been reports about any forced entry, etc.[/QUOTE]
I had not thought of that, but it is certainly possible. It wouldn't be very honorable at all to kill your wife per your culture and then blame it on an American. At the very least, the man wouldn't be very proud of his culture if he did that.

[quote name='Spokker']I had not thought of that, but it is certainly possible. It wouldn't be very honorable at all to kill your wife per your culture and then blame it on an American. At the very least, the man wouldn't be very proud of his culture if he did that.[/QUOTE]

I'm not entirely up to speed on honor killings, but I can't imagine most western honor killers just say "Yep I did it, sorry about that." Having some sort of cover story or diversion makes sense to me. Trying to divert attention to make it look like a hate crime against Muslims would put Muslims in a better light since they become the unjustly treated victims. After all, when there's a dead wife, no sign of forced entry, and nothing missing, I think suspect #1 is the husband, and if its a Muslim couple, people start to think about honor killings. The notes could be an attempt to divert the cops' attention.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Do you usually find it easy to like or get along with people that openly think you're an ignorant simpleton that isn't as enlightened, wise, or evolved as they are?[/QUOTE]
Heh, I don't' know, do you?:lol:

[quote name='dohdough']Some would say that those days weren't that great, but that's for another thread.[/QUOTE]

Yeah - I was just being a smartass.

The forum has been pretty 'serious business' lately...

[quote name='kodave']On the actual subject of the thread - no one thinks the notes might be a cover and this is some kind of domestic violence, or at the most extreme, an honor killing? Seems odd that there haven't been reports about any forced entry, etc.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with speculating, but I could just as easily say Pat Robertson might have done it. If there was something fishy going on you would think the kids, who have expressed fear and disgust, would have at least known something and police investigations would have exposed it. Those kinds of secrets aren't kept for very long. Not saying it's impossible, just that it is equally as likely that Pat Robertson descended from an alien spaceship and beat the woman with a tire iron.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Spokker']Arabs have seen better days, like when they were inventing algebra and shit.[/QUOTE]

Arabs did NOT invent shit, you liar. Shit was invented by Hammurabi in 1983.

[quote name='berzirk']Nothing wrong with speculating, but I could just as easily say Pat Robertson might have done it. If there was something fishy going on you would think the kids, who have expressed fear and disgust, would have at least known something and police investigations would have exposed it. Those kinds of secrets aren't kept for very long. Not saying it's impossible, just that it is equally as likely that Pat Robertson decended from an alien spaceship and beat the woman with a tire iron.[/QUOTE]

The police haven't said they're solely focusing on this as a hate crime and that all options are open. While yes, you can take speculation to the ridiculous, it seems more likely they're also looking at people close to the family like the husband.

[quote name='kodave']The police haven't said they're solely focusing on this as a hate crime and that all options are open. While yes, you can take speculation to the ridiculous, it seems more likely they're also looking at people close to the family like the husband.[/QUOTE]

So we went from premeditated act of violence from a stranger, to speculation of "honor killings". Yup, Pat Robertson did it.

[quote name='berzirk']So we went from premeditated act of violence from a stranger, to speculation of "honor killings". Yup, Pat Robertson did it.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand your trolling. I don't visit this part of the forum enough, apparently.

The cops aren't sold that its an actual hate crime, so I'm really not sure what you're trolling about. If its indeed not a hate crime, the next likely thing would be domestic violence, and at the most extreme of that, you have honor killing. It's not like anything has been reported stolen to indicate a robbery or anything. You can keep trolling and be absurd and say Pat Robertson did it. Great contribution to the thread.

[quote name='kodave']I don't understand your trolling. I don't visit this part of the forum enough, apparently.

The cops aren't sold that its an actual hate crime, so I'm really not sure what you're trolling about. If its indeed not a hate crime, the next likely thing would be domestic violence, and at the most extreme of that, you have honor killing. It's not like anything has been reported stolen to indicate a robbery or anything. You can keep trolling and be absurd and say Pat Robertson did it. Great contribution to the thread.[/QUOTE]
Maybe because an honor killing is one of the least likely possibilities. Suggesting it as being more plausible than a hate crime plays on stereotypes and xenophobia. Something to think about, dude.

[quote name='kodave']I don't understand your trolling. I don't visit this part of the forum enough, apparently.

The cops aren't sold that its an actual hate crime, so I'm really not sure what you're trolling about. If its indeed not a hate crime, the next likely thing would be domestic violence, and at the most extreme of that, you have honor killing. It's not like anything has been reported stolen to indicate a robbery or anything. You can keep trolling and be absurd and say Pat Robertson did it. Great contribution to the thread.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it is a hate crime either. It's a murder. And saying that this is an honor killing is speculatory and insane, with absolutely no proof whatsoever. I'm just saying, if we're not requiring any substance to a theory, then it's just as likely that Pat Robertson came down from a spaceship and killed her personally.

Nobody is ready to call this a hate crime yet, everyone is calling it a murder. I'll let the FBI and cops do their job though, rather than guess at who did it and the motive..but Pat...my eye is on you, you rascal!

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/st...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-03-27-23-15-58

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-03-25/...aqi-woman-el-cajon-life-support?_s=PM:JUSTICE

So if you have evidence it's an honor killing, I strongly encourage you to call your local FBI office and provide this information. It will bring those responsible to justice.

bread's done
Back