iRiver iHP-120 MP3 player

I have the ihp140, a very high quality product in my opinion. the blue backlit lcd remote rocks. i've never had an ipod so i can't compare.

there used to be a rebate from iriver, not sure if still exists.

My co-worker had an iRiver - liked it, it was cheap, worked nicely, but then we each got 40 GB iPods from work. Haven't seen his iRiver since :)

So I guess I'm saying that the iPod is probably a better device but it's a trade-off against price.

I've had my IHP-120 since October, and its light years better than iPod in my opinion. For reference I've had an iPod, Creative Julebox 3, Creative Zen Xtra, iHP-120, and had a rio Karma for a bit. My iRiver is the fav.

Better sound( than ipod, not creative), plug&play compatible with windows and mac, it uses your own file tree not IDtags (for me a huge wonderful feature), and comes built in with recording features, FM tuner, and optical ins and outs. Plus the remote (which does all the functions of the main player) rocks.

Did I mention that I get on average 16 hrs. of battery from a single charge? That feature alone pimpslaps the iPod 7 hr.

I would say that ipod probably looks a little bit slicker but it's definitely not a better device, or at least you can't say it is. from my readings around the web. i've seen plenty of negatives for ipods but not really much on iriver. of course there is a much better user base for ipod so that might throw it off.

price wise it's similar. the big thing that the iriver has as a definite advantage is the remote.

edit: I was typing this without seeing OiBoy's post, hehe
'

Right now amazon has it for I believe $292. CompUsa might also have it for $300. And of course iRiver has it for $329.

You could also consider the $400 for the iHP-140. Extra hundred gives you double the capacity.

They might also be dropping soon, depending on when iRiver releases the iHP-3## series players. I say they might, since even their older flash players seem to hold their price for awhile.

Personally, I paid out $430 (with Mass. tax), couldn't be happier with it, and consider even 329 a steal for this player.

If you had 300 dollars and you wanted an mp3 player would you

A)Buy an iPod 15gb
B)Buy an iRiver iHP-120
C)Buy a Rio Chiba 256 for $120 and keep the rest of the cash

If you have a Costco card, and have a Costco near you, there is a cheap Rio Mp3 Player with 256 MB you can find... just grab a savings flyer at Costco, and tear off the Rio coupon.. it isn't better than an iRiver though. :?

$149.99
-$ 30.00
_______
$119.99

I'll go into the details...

ipod
+ killer look and is easily recognizable.
+ chicks love em.
+ interface is great.
- sound quality (one of the worst signal-to-noise ratios and db outputs for an mp3 player on the market today).
- battery life is horrible (6-7 hours).
- can't plug & play.
- have to use software: itunes (which sucks imo. 128k AAC? Give me a break!)
- lack of recording options (voice recorder is an extra peripheral that lacks in quality and adds bulk to the player).
- can't play ogg.
- hard to exchange songs with friends.
- no gapless playback.
- lack of a remote with a display.

iriver
+ second best sound quality for a HD mp3 player (the Creative Zen series is the king of sound quality).
+ amazing battery life (15-16 hours!)
+ backlit lcd remote (can't tell you how nice it is to leave the player in your pocket and navigate via the remote clipped to your shirt/jacket/bag).
+ no software required (PC recognizes it as an external HD).
+ ogg compatability (the best format available - can provide links to support).
+ am / fm radio.
+ suprisingly high quality internal recordings via the built in mic (record class lectures).
+ optical recording and external recording options.
+ gapless playback (coming at the end of the month via firmware update).
+ more firmware support (with fm recording on the way).
- the look of the player is lacking (but the remote looks great).
- if you don't use database mode, the interface is lacking.

There's no contest.

I take the ipod to the gym and sometimes to school, but 90% of the time I'll be with my iriver.

I can't wait for the iriver H300 series, if you havn't seen them...
They have a color screen, 40gb, a docking station with usb recharge, fm recording, possible video playback, and picture viewer.
Plus it has all the features of the H100 series players.
It can also wiork as a storage device for your digi cam and you can view the pics on the fly.

If you don't have a limited budget, wait for the iRiver H340 to debut at the end of the month or sometime in July.
Estimates are around $450-$500 for that baby.

Oh yeah, and they improved the look. :)

why does everyone think that the iRiver isnt nice lookin. The iPod is very plain lookin white and the iRiver is black and silver with a blue screen

The ipod just has the style factor, but thats pretty much all it has.

I personally think the remote looks better then the ipod.

And when you are on the go, that's all anyone will see.

Go with the iriver.

You won't regret it.

Theres no aac support for iriiver?? That sux...all the music i buy is in aac format at 320 kbps or higher. I dont wanna lose any quality. Anyone know any way i coild convert to mp3 or ogg without losing quality? Would dbpoweramp do it? Also, which format would have the best sound quality, mp3 or ogg? im really thinkin abouit gettin an iriver instead of an ipod.

BTW...wherecan i see pix of the new iriver that everyones talkin bout?

well you could google it.. BTW I did myself and while I got a few hits I also saw this which was rather intresting to read about.

iriver_pmp_100_02.jpg

ogg...if you do it to the highest possible rate you lose almost no quality...ogg is the best format you can use to keep quality

Does anyone know what the Zens remote looks like?

amazon has the best deal on a H140 atm

Its like $350 after rebate plus you can take $30 more off if you sign up for their card.

And then you can just cancel a month later.

Grand total = $320 for the 40gb iriver.

[quote name='Valkryst']amazon has the best deal on a H140 atm

Its like $350 after rebate plus you can take $30 more off if you sign up for their card.

And then you can just cancel a month later.

Grand total = $320 for the 40gb iriver.[/quote]
My goodness. 400$ is rape for my 120 then. But its worth it so I'm happy :D

yeah, I paid $380 for my 120 about 8 months ago.

Been a happy camper since, but I can't wait for the h300!!!!

You so made the right decision.

I got mine a month ago and already I can't live without it

Download the Moodlogic H Manager and use that instead of the iHP DB software though

:)

I just bought one from Amazon with the $50 extra in spending there. Might get some better cans or a game.

Also try Redzuco.com they have a $40 rebate from Pricewatch which brings it to $260 if you'd rather not buy more from Amazon.

No! You can only transfer music through MusicMatch, which takes FOREVER!!!!!!!

With my iHp-120 I did 7G of music in less than 10 minutes.

bread's done
Back