Is an EA monopoly even good for EA

lordxixor101

CAGiversary!
With EA's recent activities, it doesn't seem out of the question that they could one day hold a sports game monopoly for certain sports. This obiously isn't good for consumers. But, is it even good for EA.

Obvious knee jerk reaction would say yes. But, I just look at the professional wrestling industry. When the WWE was going head to head with WCW, WWE was pulling monster cable ratings (in teh 7's) and WCW would pull in the 3's. Now, with no WCW, WWE pretty much pulls in the 3's. They have lost viewers even though they are the only product in town. The same could happen to EA, they could have the whole pie, but the pie could be smaller than their piece use to be.

Just a thought.

I doubt it. Less people are watching wrestling because it sucks. Seriously, I just don't see its appeal - it's just a bunch of sweaty muscleheads putting on a play in their speedos where most of the on-stage activity involves hugging each other. I really can't understand why anyone would watch it so it is easy to see the ratings slip as people wake up to what it's really all about.

EA, on the other hand, will be putting out software that just won't get old. Technology will keep getting better and the game will keep evolving and people will keep buying their products.

Look what I found

eanazi.gif

[quote name='javeryh']I doubt it. Less people are watching wrestling because it sucks. Seriously, I just don't see its appeal - it's just a bunch of sweaty muscleheads putting on a play in their speedos where most of the on-stage activity involves hugging each other. I really can't understand why anyone would watch it so it is easy to see the ratings slip as people wake up to what it's really all about.

EA, on the other hand, will be putting out software that just won't get old. Technology will keep getting better and the game will keep evolving and people will keep buying their products.[/quote]

Your personal opinion has no effect on industry. When the two different companies merged, there was a lack of competition between them. That lost people on both sides, as well as tarnishing the name. I done think there will be a horrible backlash against EA, i just dont believe it will be too much of a good thing

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Look what I found

eanazi.gif
[/quote]

Not just lame, but entirely asinine. Do you have no idea what the Third Reich and the Nazi Party was?

EA is making great business decisions, while it may not be great for the gaming community (esp. Sega fanboys)... there is a very slim chance of it hurting them in any way.
The only possible problem this could cause is a lack of competition causing a general apathy and a lack of quality which could in turn cause a mass exodus of gamers as a whole.

First off, don't bash wrestling if you don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about. While not all of it is real, some of it is. You say that "less people watch it" because it "sucks". This is your opinion. Some of us like to be entertained, and that does the job. It's your fault that you don't "get it". Don't try to speak for other people. If you get a chance, ask Droz or Owen Hart how fake it is. Droz would be inclined to disagree, he's paralyzed.. and Owen's dead.

Second, it's unbelievable that someone would compare EA to a group of humans that slaughtered thousands of innocent people during WW2. Whoever made that gif should be shot.

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='javeryh']I doubt it. Less people are watching wrestling because it sucks. Seriously, I just don't see its appeal - it's just a bunch of sweaty muscleheads putting on a play in their speedos where most of the on-stage activity involves hugging each other. I really can't understand why anyone would watch it so it is easy to see the ratings slip as people wake up to what it's really all about.

EA, on the other hand, will be putting out software that just won't get old. Technology will keep getting better and the game will keep evolving and people will keep buying their products.[/quote]

Your personal opinion has no effect on industry. When the two different companies merged, there was a lack of competition between them. That lost people on both sides, as well as tarnishing the name. I done think there will be a horrible backlash against EA, i just dont believe it will be too much of a good thing[/quote]

yeah, I know my personal opinion doesn't matter but what I was trying to say is that I think wrestling has reached its peak and many people are saying "been there, done that." How many different ways are there to script everything or to body slam someone? I think it has been maxed out. Video games, however, will constantly evolve and continue to be new and fresh with each passing year. Yeah, you could say that Madden is the same game year after year (not true, IMO) but if you look at Madden '92 versus Madden 2005 it is a completely different game. Unless EA gets lazy and starts putting out crap games (due to no competition) I think they will be OK...

Also, the exclusive license agreement is only for 5 years and if the NFL feels like EA is not doing the job it should then they probably won't renew it. I also wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are certain termination provisions in the agreement involving brand deterioration, etc.

Eh, I gave it a chuckle, and I'm usually more PC than others. I doubt that there was that much malice put into the gif when the person made it.

Nazi's = evil = EA. The most recognizable form of "evil" from history are the Nazi's, so settle down.

Just settle down everyone.....EA just made a BUSINESS DECISION.

Imagine if something like 989 sports or Midway had the exclusive deals.....

Business decision....'nuff said. Good ro bad...oh well.

It also takes TWO people to make an agreement....go boycott all the other parties too.

And no, I'm not an EA fanboy, just a realist

[quote name='doubledown']Just settle down everyone.....EA just made a BUSINESS DECISION.

It also takes TWO people to make an agreement....go boycott all the other parties too.

And no, I'm not an EA fanboy, just a realist[/quote]

we'd be pissed at the other companies as well....but EA has done so many different things at once ranging from thier employee practices to Ubisoft to the exclusive sports games.

[quote name='doubledown']Just settle down everyone.....EA just made a BUSINESS DECISION.

And no, I'm not an EA fanboy, just a realist[/quote]

Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about.

Well, actually, it doesn't take 2 parties to agree. There's something called a hostile takeover, which is what EA is/was trying to pull on Ubisoft.

If you remember, the President of Ubisoft wasn't happy with the whole situation.

[quote name='evilmax17']Well, actually, it doesn't take 2 parties to agree. There's something called a hostile takeover, which is what EA is/was trying to pull on Ubisoft.

If you remember, the President of Ubisoft wasn't happy with the whole situation.[/quote]

well, shit happens........Blockbuster is trying to take over Hollywood Video. Money usually wins.....sad but true

[quote name='Scorch']First off, don't bash wrestling if you don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about. While not all of it is real, some of it is. You say that "less people watch it" because it "sucks". This is your opinion. Some of us like to be entertained, and that does the job. It's your fault that you don't "get it". Don't try to speak for other people. If you get a chance, ask Droz or Owen Hart how fake it is. Droz would be inclined to disagree, he's paralyzed.. and Owen's dead.[/quote]

No offense intended, but just because someone died during a scripted stunt, that doesn't mean any part of wrestling is real. Stunt people die, that doesn't make movies real. It's all entertainment.

And this is coming from a (mostly) life-long fan. I stopped watching when ECW went under because since the '80s, the WWF/WWE has made wrestling a joke. They nerfed it into a kids show and while wrestling has always appealed to kids, you never saw that many at an ECW taping. Not enough cute cartoon characters to root for I guess.

[quote name='MrBadExample'][quote name='Scorch']First off, don't bash wrestling if you don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about. While not all of it is real, some of it is. You say that "less people watch it" because it "sucks". This is your opinion. Some of us like to be entertained, and that does the job. It's your fault that you don't "get it". Don't try to speak for other people. If you get a chance, ask Droz or Owen Hart how fake it is. Droz would be inclined to disagree, he's paralyzed.. and Owen's dead.[/quote]

No offense intended, but just because someone died during a scripted stunt, that doesn't mean any part of wrestling is real. Stunt people die, that doesn't make movies real. It's all entertainment.

And this is coming from a (mostly) life-long fan. I stopped watching when ECW went under because since the '80s, the WWF/WWE has made wrestling a joke. They nerfed it into a kids show and while wrestling has always appealed to kids, you never saw that many at an ECW taping. Not enough cute cartoon characters to root for I guess.[/quote]

Umm, is this an EA topic or wrestling topic??

On wrestling:

Wrestling, like most things, isn't black and white. It's not "fake", and it's not "real". It's all in how you look at it.

If you look at it as an actual 'sport', then it's fake, as the matches have predetermined outcomes.

When looking at it as a physical activity, then it's real. People get hurt all the time, and it's one of the most physically demanding "sports" out there. Just because the other guy knows that a flying body press is coming, doesn't make it easier on the guy doing it.

imo if ea makes a shitty game, for several years in a row, fans of the series will leave...EA has made excellent business decistions

[quote name='MrBadExample'][quote name='musha666']Umm, is this an EA topic or wrestling topic??[/quote]

It's a floor wax and a dessert topping.[/quote]

Im not much of a floor wax expert, but i could go for a nice bg ice cream sundae right about now.

As for wrestling, its a tv show. As real or fake as Friends or The Apprentice.

And EA, good for them.

my roommate watches wrestling and i make fun of him for it, he also listens to eminem and i make fun of him for that too- but then he makes fun of me for reading or watching black and white movies
whatever- dont let someone else saying what you like sucks limit how much you enjoy it.
As far as wrestling ratings go, the waning popularity led to the lack of competition rather than the other way around. Again, i dont really know wrestling, that was just my roommates opinion.

As for EA, it wouldnt surprise me if they themselves were swallowed up by a larger entertainment giant. In which case one could see the ghost of Sierra guffawing at a fellow fate.

[quote name='vherub']my roommate watches wrestling and i make fun of him for it, he also listens to eminem and i make fun of him for that too- .[/quote]

You have EVERY right in the world to make fun of him for listening to Eminem.

[quote name='MrBadExample'][quote name='musha666']Umm, is this an EA topic or wrestling topic??[/quote]

It's a floor wax and a dessert topping.[/quote]

Very cool, very very cool....

New Shimmer, for the greatest shine you ever tasted!

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Did you hear that Nintendo got excusive rights to the Mario franchise???

BOYCOTT NINTENDO!!![/quote]

:: Attempts to sledgehammer my gamecube, wont break tho=-(

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Did you hear that Nintendo got excusive rights to the Mario franchise???

cornfedwb mentioned asinine. You are the definition. Did EA create the NFL? Did they create Ubisoft? Did they create the NCAA? You are trying to compare apples to oxen. Nothing similar in your asinine comparison at all. Did an EA rep tell you that? (Funny that EA themselves now have Mario in one of their games... the irony of your ignorance...)

I think EAs practices will hurt them if they get lazy and stop putting out a quality product. This is perhaps what has happened to the WWE. Does anyone know the ratings right after the WWE took over the WCW? I don't, but it would be interesting to see if they were intially good and then started to drop off.

I honestly don't think a large population will care if there is only one football game or basketball game as long as it is good. The only people who will care are people who don't like EA as a company, similar to Walmart boycotters (both of which are very common on these forums).

Oh, and not trying to start anything with anyone, but the "you don't like wrestling because you don't 'get it'" argument is ridiculous. It's the classic Matrix argument and is the easy way out for those who like it cause you don't actually have to back up your claim that it's entertaining. I used to watch and thoroughly enjoy wrestling, so I think I "get it", but I have not seen any redeeming qualities in it for a long time.

[quote name='chickenhawk']I think EAs practices will hurt them if they get lazy and stop putting out a quality product. This is perhaps what has happened to the WWE. Does anyone know the ratings right after the WWE took over the WCW? I don't, but it would be interesting to see if they were intially good and then started to drop off.[/quote]

Excellent comparison, and yes, that's exactly what happened. The WWE took out their competition, and then got lazy. That's why wrestling isn't even close to the popularity it enjoyed in the late 90s and early 2000's.

[quote name='ryanbph']imo if ea makes a shitty game, for several years in a row, fans of the series will leave...EA has made excellent business decistions[/quote]

I'd llike to think this is the case but the fratboys and gangstas that don't know anything about games will buy any old piece of crap that says "Madden 200X" on the front. Madden is like the video game equivalent of Scarface anymore, a lot of people want it just to say that they have it.

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='javeryh']I doubt it. Less people are watching wrestling because it sucks. Seriously, I just don't see its appeal - it's just a bunch of sweaty muscleheads putting on a play in their speedos where most of the on-stage activity involves hugging each other. I really can't understand why anyone would watch it so it is easy to see the ratings slip as people wake up to what it's really all about.

Your personal opinion has no effect on industry. When the two different companies merged, there was a lack of competition between them. That lost people on both sides, as well as tarnishing the name. I done think there will be a horrible backlash against EA, i just dont believe it will be too much of a good thing[/quote]

yeah, I know my personal opinion doesn't matter but what I was trying to say is that I think wrestling has reached its peak and many people are saying "been there, done that." How many different ways are there to script everything or to body slam someone? I think it has been maxed out. Video games, however, will constantly evolve and continue to be new and fresh with each passing year. Yeah, you could say that Madden is the same game year after year (not true, IMO) but if you look at Madden '92 versus Madden 2005 it is a completely different game. Unless EA gets lazy and starts putting out crap games (due to no competition) I think they will be OK...

Also, the exclusive license agreement is only for 5 years and if the NFL feels like EA is not doing the job it should then they probably won't renew it. I also wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are certain termination provisions in the agreement involving brand deterioration, etc.[/quote]I used to watch WWF and WCW for years, then just stopped caring. It's the closest thing to a soap opera for predominantly male viewership. The main difference is, at least several years ago, many people believed it was all un-scripted. If you tried to question them on that, they would get really, really angry.

Wow morphiend, bad morning or did you completely lose your sense of humor on the sidewalk somewhere?

[quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Did you hear that Nintendo got excusive rights to the Mario franchise???

cornfedwb mentioned asinine. You are the definition. Did EA create the NFL? Did they create Ubisoft? Did they create the NCAA? You are trying to compare apples to oxen. Nothing similar in your asinine comparison at all. Did an EA rep tell you that? (Funny that EA themselves now have Mario in one of their games... the irony of your ignorance...)[/quote]

I don't think that the wrestling decline in recent years has anything to do with WWE's laziness without lack of competition. Simply put, the reason why is because there are simply too many characters to hype up well. Everyone accepted that Wrestling was scripted in the 90's.

Unless EA decides that they now want to make 15 football games instead of 3, their decision probably won't affect the quality of their games. The only real effect will be pricing and how fast(slow) games drop.

So many people here talk about boycotting EA, blah, blah, blah. Reminds me of the way everyone used to publicly denounce hoarding in these forums. Now 1 out of 4 threads are about how well everyone has done at buying just to trade. The sooner everyone stops posturing and trying to join the masses, the better. I know I'm going to buy Madden next year, even though I haven't bought or played a Madden game since 94 on the Genesis and I love 2K5. Why? Because I want to play with the most up-to-date roster, and it's usually the only chance for the current Giants team to win the Superbowl. At this rate, there are gonna be a lot of people hoping EA-bashing threads get accidentally deleted when the new Madden comes out and they're all buying and discussing it in the forums.

[quote name='vherub']As far as wrestling ratings go, the waning popularity led to the lack of competition[/quote]

Bingo!

Katie Vick, anyone? Anyone? Vince NEEDS competition.

What EA does is horrible. Who knows what type of quality they will put into there products now (look what they did with Goldeneye, they had a name that sold and made a shitty game). But what is worse than them having an exclusive deal with the NFL is the fact that they bought 20% of ubi softs shares. I can't imagine what EA would do to Splinter Cell.

[quote name='mbstuff']Wow morphiend, bad morning or did you completely lose your sense of humor on the sidewalk somewhere?

[quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Did you hear that Nintendo got excusive rights to the Mario franchise???

cornfedwb mentioned asinine. You are the definition. Did EA create the NFL? Did they create Ubisoft? Did they create the NCAA? You are trying to compare apples to oxen. Nothing similar in your asinine comparison at all. Did an EA rep tell you that? (Funny that EA themselves now have Mario in one of their games... the irony of your ignorance...)[/quote][/quote]

I found it. It was in my pocket this whole time!!!

No, you just need to be familiar with certain posters. That is Mooky's style. That was his "arguement."

I absolutely can't stand wrestling because of all the fake, corny, and scripted "drama" and "story" they try to put around the actual wrestling. However, I think wrestlers are incredible athletes and some of the moves they do are very cool to watch.

Anyway, back on topic - I think the wrestling/EA analogy is a bad one. As much as I hate the fact that EA bought out the competition, it was a very smart move on their part and their football games will dominate the sales charts because football games will always be in demand and it's a very safe bet. The pie isn't likely to get any smaller, as you put it.

bread's done
Back