Is anyone else super OCD about playing/beating games?

Melatonin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Sometimes I feel like I beat a game not because I really want to, but because it just bothers me to have a game that I started sitting around unfinished. I also generally don't like having unplayed games lying around, i.e. a big backlog, because then it makes it feel like work instead of fun, or like I'm obligated to play it. But, it happens anyways, and has slowly but surely just gotten bigger. I tried to remedy the situation by selling some unbeaten/unplayed games, then I realized that I regretted selling almost every game and it only made it worse, being the materialistic person that I am.

Now I'm just trying to slow down on the game buying, and only buy stuff that either a)I really really want or b)I kind of want, and it's super cheap. I have to say it's some form of addiction though really, since the longer I go without buying games, the more I feel "withdrawal." Thankfully the school season is about to start again, and that's usually when game buying comes to a crippling hault.

It doesn't bother me if I don't finish a game, I'll play through the game until I get bored of it, then it's usually off to eBay or Gamestop. Very rarely do I give games a second attempt down the road. If I don't play a game through until its completion before I get bored or another game comes along I usually won't ever finish it.

Come to think of it, I'll be trading in a couple of games tomorrow that I haven't beaten, and I won't be losing any sleep over it.

I'm with you on that. My backlog continues to grow and I curse every week that worthy games are released because it's a "setback". I wouldn't call it a chore to play the games, but it takes away when you have about a dozen AAA titles you haven't unwrapped to choose from.

[quote name='QiG']I'm with you on that. My backlog continues to grow and I curse every week that worthy games are released because it's a "setback". I wouldn't call it a chore to play the games, but it takes away when you have about a dozen AAA titles you haven't unwrapped to choose from.[/QUOTE]
Sadly this is exactly how I feel.

The only thing I'm a little odd about is playing games in order.

I cant play FF12, because I didnt finish 10.

I havent played any of the mainline Dragon Quest games, and if I ever do, I have to start at 1.

I'll probably never play Persona 3 because I'm still in the middle of 1, then 2 is next. After that, the translation of Innocent Sin will probably be done.

I'm not super OCD about my gaming. I've never been the person who felt they had to beat games 100% or anything of that nature.

Now, I do feel somewhat bad about my backlog (at least at times). What I've done is to think about games while I'm buying them. Why am I buying this game? Is it $5 and I want to play it eventually? Is it a game I've been waiting to play for eaons, and it's now at the right price? Am I planning to play it today or wait a few weeks?

Doing this has helped. Sure, I have 10 games that I haven't touched (or barely touched, maybe an hour or so). But, if I didn't pay much for it, I don't feel too bad about it. Plus, my track record, even if I have a game for a year or 2, I usually find a spare couple of days and go through them.

I don't know how old you are, but once your out of college, you have real work to do (going to work, projects around the house, etc), you just can't make your hobby another job. It just isn't worth it, but, as you said selling them can make you feel regret.

Just enjoy your games, and if your backlog starts to get too large, you'll know it's time to start cutting back.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Absolutely not. I'm lucky if I get a game beaten these days. I'm OCD over a lot of things, but not finishing games.[/quote]

Same. I play until it stops being fun and then I move on to something else.

i jump all over the place... Portal was the first game i've finished since Metal Gear Solid, when it came out! it helped that it was only 3-4(?) hours long i suppose ;)

I won't trade off a 360 game until I have all the achievements. I currently have about 25 games in my library and finished up about 10 games so far.

~HotShotX

If anything I'm not.

If a game pisses me off, no matter how good it once was I gotta stop. For example Super Mario Galaxy is one of my favorite games of all time, but collecting the last few stars is not my idea of fun, so I choose just to replay the fun stages instead.

For me games are supposed to be pure entertainment, just like movies and books. I'm not going to let it enslave me for a simple number! I laugh at all my friends that literally brag about their games making them bitches, while they get 100%.

With that said I complete the majority of my games for the most part. I just don't go 100% crazy. In rare cases I don't finish a game's main story because it flat out pisses me off. (I'm looking at you, Okami)

I can understand if you're literally OCD though, I am not. I'm only borderline OCD about really dumb stuff, lucky for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back