Is Best Buy interested in purchasing GameStop?

yeah wasnt Kmart in trouble when they bought sears...

what about wendys when they bought arbys?

Or the latest news in which Tmobile (#4) made an offer for Sprint (#3)...

Blockbuster had some bids out as well, and they have been in trouble for years.

i dont think that matters..

[quote name='Josef']Can Best Buy even afford Gamestop? Aren't they in some financial trouble?[/QUOTE]

Isnt that a reason for them to try and buy them? BBV was trying to buy CC before they went down if I recall correctly and Im pretty sure I heard BBV wasnt doing so good. A lot of times these moves are used to help prop up your own failing business to allow yourself a little time to either integrate stuff you didnt have before, or buy time to rebuild from a loss. One thing it will do if its true is boost stock prices temporarily, or drop them significantly (which Im sure they are trying to avoid).

It's all imaginary monies anyway, so what's everyone all up in arms about? Another large corporation buys out another, effectively laying off as much staff as possible and adding to unemployment (that is already inflated from these big corporations putting other mom and pop stores out of business). Nothing new here.

[quote name='Josef']Can Best Buy even afford Gamestop? Aren't they in some financial trouble?[/QUOTE]

Best Buy is not in financial trouble, they have actually done quite well during this economic downturn as a result of quick action on their part last year to cut costs and reduce inventory. But that doesn't mean they can afford Gamestop. Taking the pretty large leap that Best Buy does in fact have an interest in buying Gamestop, there are a variety of ways they could attempt to make such a purchase.

I know Best Buy has been testing used game purchases and sales in a few select stores but I haven't heard any specific news on how well the program is going. I would think that if the program were a huge success that they may well be interested in a purchase of Gamestop but then again, if this program is doing really well I would expect them to roll it out into more stores before they would just go all-in and make a billion+ dollar takeover of Gamestop.

A Best Buy / Gamestop linkup does make sense for Best Buy though with Walmart continuing to move in on Best Buy's marketshare in consumer electronics and Lowes and Home Depot offering very strong competition on the appliance side.

[quote name='Snake2715']yeah wasnt Kmart in trouble when they bought sears...

what about wendys when they bought arbys?

Or the latest news in which Tmobile (#4) made an offer for Sprint (#3)...

Blockbuster had some bids out as well, and they have been in trouble for years.

i dont think that matters..[/QUOTE]

Sears merged with Kmart...

Wendys partnered with Triarc which is the parent of Arby's...

The "latest news" you refer to about T-Mobile was from 2008 and means nothing when you compare customer bases. There is no way T-Mobile could afford to buy Sprint outright. They would have to merge and there would be huge antitrust issues.

BBV never put in a bid for Circuit City. They explored CC's books and viewed their options. That was it.

Good try though...

[quote name='mtxbass1']Sears merged with Kmart...

Wendys partnered with Triarc which is the parent of Arby's...

The "latest news" you refer to about T-Mobile was from 2008 and means nothing when you compare customer bases. There is no way T-Mobile could afford to buy Sprint outright. They would have to merge and there would be huge antitrust issues.

BBV never put in a bid for Circuit City. They explored CC's books and viewed their options. That was it.

Good try though...[/QUOTE]

Ok Mr. perfectionist.

Kmart did purcahse sears for 11 billion.

I had it backwards Wendys was bought by Arby's Triarc as you said. it was what 2.4 billion... but Triarc was in some trouble when this happened wasnt it?

I think BBV was in the works to purchase Hollywood video (hostile takeover) however but Hollywood turned them down I do believe (or accpeted an offer from movie gallery). I didnt mention Ciurcuit City, i actually forgot about that talk.

On the Tmobile thing.. It would only make them #2 size wise.. with Verizon sucking up Alltel how is that different? I would have to dig into that. I thought there was some more recent news on this story.

I guess my point was as mentioned they do not have to be fiscally in great shape to do this type of thing.

[quote name='Snake2715']Ok Mr. perfectionist.

Kmart did purcahse sears for 11 billion.

I had it backwards Wendys was bought by Arby's Triarc as you said. it was what 2.4 billion... but Triarc was in some trouble when this happened wasnt it?

I think BBV was in the works to purchase Hollywood video (hostile takeover) however but Hollywood turned them down I do believe (or accpeted an offer from movie gallery). I didnt mention Ciurcuit City, i actually forgot about that talk.

On the Tmobile thing.. It would only make them #2 size wise.. with Verizon sucking up Alltel how is that different? I would have to dig into that. I thought there was some more recent news on this story.

I guess my point was as mentioned they do not have to be fiscally in great shape to do this type of thing.[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with being a perfectionist at all. I'm not looking to argue with you here, but at least try to get some facts in order.

Regarding the size of the cellular companies, that really doesn't mean shit. You can have a huge company make a tiny profit, or a company the size of T-Mobile making a huge profit. Size is almost irrelevant to some degree.

Oftentimes these mergers go through based not on how great a companies shape is fiscally, but more what the potential for the two merged companies may be for all parties involved, etc.

Best Buy possibly buying Gamestop? That'd be a banner day, especially if Best Buy ended up like Circuit City. It would take out the two companies I despise the most at this point down in one shot.

fuck 'em both.

bread's done
Back