is bioshock scary?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I agree it does require suspension of belief to believe.

I've posted my opinion of Bioshock a couples times back in the official thread, but the story is really kind of hard to believe. Mainly because you get sent to the surface, are asked to hijack a plane, crash it in a very specific spot then hope to survive to do the bidding of Atlas, who I think probably could've done a lot of the shit he asked you to do in the game without all this ridiculous set up to get you into Rapture in the first place.
[/QUOTE]

But was there really a plane crash? Do we know for sure it wasn't just a planted memory in this advance genetic growth? Plant some flaming debris in the ocean and drop the character in the water and voila, it feeds the false memory.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I agree it does require suspension of belief to believe.

I've posted my opinion of Bioshock a couples times back in the official thread, but the story is really kind of hard to believe. Mainly because you get sent to the surface, are asked to hijack a plane, crash it in a very specific spot then hope to survive to do the bidding of Atlas, who I think probably could've done a lot of the shit he asked you to do in the game without all this ridiculous set up to get you into Rapture in the first place.

But that's just me.[/QUOTE]

Well the reason for getting Jack to do it rather than Fontaine doing it himself was both because Jack had Ryan's DNA (and Ryan had locked out everybody else from being able to use the bathyspheres) and because Fontaine was supposed to be dead.

It does require the same game-related suspension of belief like how you, one dude, could survive through all that shit to get to the end. And of course that there could actually be a city built in the ocean and the plasmids, etc. But as far as being internally consistent to make sense within itself I think it does a good job.

Some games basically have to force you to do something that makes absolutely no sense in order to advance the plot in a particular way, but I think Bioshock covered that pretty well with their story.

To crunchewy:

You should listen to as many audio diaries as possible for it to make the most sense, but it will make sense with the forced narrative too if you just pay attention and give it time.

But that's just me.[/QUOTE]

Within the confines of the fiction, no, Atlas/Fontaine couldn't have done most of the stuff himself. He needed someone with Ryan's DNA, which is why he bought Jack.
In the end, yes, the game's story requires the suspension of disbelief, but the vast majority of game plots do.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I was only scared once in this game, OP don't click because I don't want to ruin it for you but
When it starts getting icy and you pick up that plasmid or whatever and the room fills with steam, and when you turn around as at it starts to dissipated and there's a dude just right in your face staring at you
but otherwise it was more of the atmosphere giving a constant unease and disturbing feeling.[/QUOTE]

Only part that made me jump actually lol glad you mentioned it

bread's done
Back