Is CAG seeking gaming journalists, writers, and/or editors?

bo0

CAGiversary!
In the latest cagcast there was mention of updating the website in '07. I was interested in becoming a "staff writer, journalist and/or editor" of sorts. I am graduate student in Psychology here in Connecticut. I love writing, reading, and of course playing some games with friends. I'm the editor of a literary magazine in Hartford.

How can I help out ?

Am i the only one ?

[quote name='lilboo']I hope so, I'd love to help out![/QUOTE]

Ah!You are lilboo!
I am bo0. I used to be bigboo but i've lost weight since then. I am now bo0.

Woah.

This reminds me of when I was teaching you how to snipe in the alley's of NYC.
1166525669689rp5.jpg

me on left
you on right

It was a true father to son moment.

I'd be very interested in helping as well... though the above animated gif makes me scared of who the rest of the crew may be. ;)

Someone should suggest to Cheapy to have a section of reviews for games from Cags. Like any random person can write their review and post it in a "review section" and people can go look what they rated the game outa 10 and why

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Someone should suggest to Cheapy to have a section of reviews for games from Cags. Like any random person can write their review and post it in a "review section" and people can go look what they rated the game outa 10 and why[/quote]There is a review forum already. But maybe a little bit more publicity of the things in it would be nice.

[quote name='daroga']There is a review forum already. But maybe a little bit more publicity of the things in it would be nice.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but i do not take forum based reviews as seriously as full write ups and editorials on other gaming websites.

Here's an idea Cheapy: read a Cag's review of a game on the Cagcast. Not only does it incorporate the community in the show, but will also spark interest into reviewing more games (hopefully).

[quote name='bo0']Yes, but i do not take forum based reviews as seriously as full write ups and editorials on other gaming websites.[/QUOTE]

I like reading a swarm of forum reviews (as well as smaller websites like honestgamers and gamecritics) over a commercial site review any day. I find that intelligent gamers who aren't corrupted by advertisers are the best reviewers.

That said, there's lots of talent on CAG and I bet we could put together a pretty mean collective review database. We just need the platform to do it from (and the review forum doesn't quite cut it.) Hiring a few staff writers might not be good, since we won't have a steady stream of reviews coming out...and there are a lot of classic games that need to be reviewed in addition to new ones!

[quote name='Apossum']I like reading a swarm of forum reviews (as well as smaller websites like honestgamers and gamecritics) over a commercial site review any day. I find that intelligent gamers who aren't corrupted by advertisers are the best reviewers.

That said, there's lots of talent on CAG and I bet we could put together a pretty mean collective review database. We just need the platform to do it from (and the review forum doesn't quite cut it.) Hiring a few staff writers might not be good, since we won't have a steady stream of reviews coming out...and there are a lot of classic games that need to be reviewed in addition to new ones![/QUOTE]

Yes but if we hired people to do the work, then there would be a steady flow of reviews. i'm looking to be an editor to the staff writers. I'm an editor to a literary magazine in hartford, ct. If i could get some writing samples from people then we'd be Ok.

I'd be more tahn happy to read and critque people's writing.

[quote name='Ricochet']Here's an idea Cheapy: read a Cag's review of a game on the Cagcast. Not only does it incorporate the community in the show, but will also spark interest into reviewing more games (hopefully).[/QUOTE]
I dunno...no offense, but the last thing I would want to sit through is CheapyD or Wombat reading reviews on the CAGcast...hell, I already think most of the questions people submit for the CAGbag are ridiculously too long. The show moves at a much better pace when it's conversation, not recitation.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I dunno...no offense, but the last thing I would want to sit through is CheapyD or Wombat reading reviews on the CAGcast...hell, I already think most of the questions people submit for the CAGbag are ridiculously too long. The show moves at a much better pace when it's conversation, not recitation.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Listening to people read is boring as hell and will tank the CAGcast.

I think it might be better to come up with a multi-tier rating system that CAGs could vote on in a forum poll. Cheapy and Wombat could then briefly run through the scores on the CAGcast.

Rankings could be something like:
"Worth full price"
"Buy at first price drop"
"Hold out for Greatest Hits/Player's Choice/Platinum Hits"
"Wait for clearance"
"Not even worth it for the case"

The forum could house lengthy discussion and Cheapy and Wombat could maintain a free flowing conversation.

[quote name='Scobie']QFT. Listening to people read is boring as hell and will tank the CAGcast.

I think it might be better to come up with a multi-tier rating system that CAGs could vote on in a forum poll. Cheapy and Wombat could then briefly run through the scores on the CAGcast.

Rankings could be something like:
"Worth full price"
"Buy at first price drop"
"Hold out for Greatest Hits/Player's Choice/Platinum Hits"
"Wait for clearance"
"Not even worth it for the case"

The forum could house lengthy discussion and Cheapy and Wombat could maintain a free flowing conversation.[/QUOTE]

I think that would be great idea. I like the idea of a nominal score system instead of a ordinal measure(a rating like 8.8). It would be new and inovative.

Keep the thinking guys. I'm sure cheappyD would love to see some of these ideas.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I dunno...no offense, but the last thing I would want to sit through is CheapyD or Wombat reading reviews on the CAGcast...hell, I already think most of the questions people submit for the CAGbag are ridiculously too long. The show moves at a much better pace when it's conversation, not recitation.[/quote]

Agreed. I think adding editorials to CAG would be a good move though. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think Cheapy is attempting to diversify CAG as much as possible. Adding user written columns would be a nice way to accomplish this goal.

Establishing regular writers would be crucial though. You could start with a variety of writers on a variety of topics, and then narrow the pool down to a core set of columnists based upon a combination what articles are generating the most interest and are written the best.

The regular columnists could cover various topics ranging from current hot games, to taking advantage of trade-ins and clearances, to those "human interest" type articles that would just cover the flavor of the month on CAG.

Allow me to toss my name into the hat of potential columnists on CAG.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I dunno...no offense, but the last thing I would want to sit through is CheapyD or Wombat reading reviews on the CAGcast...hell, I already think most of the questions people submit for the CAGbag are ridiculously too long. The show moves at a much better pace when it's conversation, not recitation.[/quote]

I agree. We can all read that shit on our own.

And as far as CAG reviews and articles, aren't there already such things going on in the forums already?

IMO, there are only a couple of people who post on this site who come close to being a "professional" read, so I'm not sure where all this is going. Heck even Wombat (through no fault of his own, mind you) can barely contribute regularly to the site.

Unless Cheapy can fork out decent pay for pro submissions on a regular basis, I think CAG is ok the way it is now, minus a general artistic/layout-type redesign.

[quote name='gunm']I agree. We can all read that shit on our own.

And as far as CAG reviews and articles, aren't there already such things going on in the forums already?

IMO, there are only a couple of people who post on this site who come close to being a "professional" read, so I'm not sure where all this is going. Heck even Wombat (through no fault of his own, mind you) can barely contribute regularly to the site.

Unless Cheapy can fork out decent pay for pro submissions on a regular basis, I think CAG is ok the way it is now, minus a general artistic/layout-type redesign.[/QUOTE]

I think a progressive stance needs to be taken for improvement. CAG is good where it is right now but we shouldn't settle for status quo. I'd like to think all sites can improve in one way or another. Don't feed the apathy cow.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Agreed. I think adding editorials to CAG would be a good move though. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think Cheapy is attempting to diversify CAG as much as possible. Adding user written columns would be a nice way to accomplish this goal.

Establishing regular writers would be crucial though. You could start with a variety of writers on a variety of topics, and then narrow the pool down to a core set of columnists based upon a combination what articles are generating the most interest and are written the best.

The regular columnists could cover various topics ranging from current hot games, to taking advantage of trade-ins and clearances, to those "human interest" type articles that would just cover the flavor of the month on CAG.

Allow me to toss my name into the hat of potential columnists on CAG.[/QUOTE]

I'm really looking forward to seeing some written material besides the "AWESOME DEAL CLICK HERE!"

I want to see a more well rounded deal site with gaming news incorperated at the same level as news. I'm sure we'd get a ton more readers if we covered both deals and news. People would flocking to the site to get their deals and news.

Lest we forget, there are no paid positions at CAG save for one, the owner. If any such "editorial" content were to be offered at CAG it would be voluntary. I'm not speaking for Cheapy, just stating the obvious.

[quote name='Ricochet']Here's an idea Cheapy: read a Cag's review of a game on the Cagcast. Not only does it incorporate the community in the show, but will also spark interest into reviewing more games (hopefully).[/QUOTE]
No.

I hate it when he even reads letters.

We don't need a longer podcast.

This is a terrible idea. I'd understand making a "review" tab on the front page, once he does the whole redesign, where the best CAG Reviews are posted by moderators... but then again, reviews don't have to do with videogame shopping, which is what this website ought to be all about.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Someone should suggest to Cheapy to have a section of reviews for games from Cags. Like any random person can write their review and post it in a "review section" and people can go look what they rated the game outa 10 and why[/quote] thats a good idea.

it would also be cool to have a poll on each review. where other people can voice their opinoin w/ every1 having to scroll down and read 50 different reviews. but have it a public poll (where users can see who voted at which score) to prevent disgruntled ppl or fanboys for intentionally throwing off the curve.

bread's done
Back