Is DOA4 everything you hoped for?

gameplay wise, it's way more satisfying than the other doa games and exceeded my expectations. graphics wise, meh.

I'm super happy with it. Not a huge bump in fighting games, but looks and plays great, with really good online. I just wish the AI on the boss wasn't so cheap (again). I'm a laid-back guy, but I was ready to toss my controller through the window after 25 unsuccessful attempts.

hint for the Boss-- find a strong move that knocks her back and spam it...if you actually try to fight her, she's a real pain in the ass (great for training with counters though.)

IMO, its more of the same to me, I don't think this game will help the DoA series have a huge following like other fighting games played competitively such as Tekken, Soul Calibur, CvS2, MvC2 etc...

I don't see this being an EVO game.

wrth picing u, although its taking me sme time to et used to the 360 D-pad, just feels weird and keep hitting the wrong direction by mistake

[quote name='ViolentLee']I'm super happy with it. Not a huge bump in fighting games, but looks and plays great, with really good online. I just wish the AI on the boss wasn't so cheap (again). I'm a laid-back guy, but I was ready to toss my controller through the window after 25 unsuccessful attempts.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like something thats going to annoy the hell out of me. Anyways im going to give it a test drive thru gamefly before i actually buy it.

I think its brilliant. It is definately the most deep and it has changed A TON from DOA 3. If your just looking at the surface it looks the same, but i can't disagree with that more. Its harder, the reversals are TONS harder to pull off, and the online mode is histarical. Now if they can figure out how "Rendon", the number 2 guy on the top 10 list of fighters, cheated to get there i'll be happy that peice of crap cheating duder.

yes. it still is a blast to play. I've only played through as one character, Hayabusa, but so far it's been a lot of fun to play. I do admit it isn't really a step-forward for the DOA series, it is more of the same, but that ok for me, since I wasn't looking for something new/groundbreaking. for this series, I just wanted a fun fighting game. the graphics look really nice as well.

the last boss is cheap. that combination throw of her's is nuts.

I really like this game. The Story mode is a huge step up, IMO, the "boss" character isn't the same for every character which i think really adds to the individual stories... and as far as the graphics go... occasionally i get caught up in the graphics and have to change my pants...

Doa 4 is awesome so far. It has alot of my non-fighter playing friends hooked too which is always a plus. The more audience a fighter has following it the more fun online play is going to be and the longer it will last. I hope to play this game for a long long time.

another thing you don't hear about is that the movesets have been rearranged completely. some moves take different inputs, and many have been taken out completely (and replaced.) I'm also learning the hard way online that the same old bullshit doesn't fly...there are very few throw-punishable attacks, for one thing. the wake-up/counter game is also a much bigger gamble now that you can get up with a mid-kick or character-specific special. it's gonna be a blast learning the ins and outs of this one, and with a nice long 360 dry spell coming up, it's perfect.

I love the game, but it isn't exactly what I hoped it was. I was expecting a single player AI that isn't such a bitch sometimes (which isn't a big deal since I rarely play it offline) and I wish the lobby system actually played a role in the online mode. It's pretty much a useless feature that nobody uses. They should have made it to where we could play around in the lobby while we wait till our fight starts.

finally got the damn spartan. Online play from here has been plagued by lag so far in 3 games I joined. seemed ok with 3 people in the game. but with more it got laggy. Also for the last man standing mode they really should throw everyone not playing into lobby rather than forcing people to watch in spectator mode. In games with 7 people it gets really annoying just waiting. They should give the people the option of lobby or spectating. Hell there's a TV screen in the lobby.

Otherwise it seems a bit tough to rack up points which could get annoying for unlocking stuff and of course there isnt much to do to fix the rock paper scissors countering system that makes this game shunned by most of the fighting game community.
Graphics are great most of the time but some scenes seem convoluted and Wtf is not giving leon a story?

People who say nothing much has been changed from previous installments are crazy. Great depth and the online play rocks, I'm very satisfied with the game.

I enjoy this game alot, it's slightly better then DOA:U. But I don't see how this game is a major improvement over that, outside of crisper graphics and deeper online. Still a must buy if your a fighting fan since It will be your only choice for the 360 for a long time to come.

[quote name='MassiveDuck']So how does it look. I know it will look great, but how huch of a step up is it from DoA 3 or even ninja gaiden?[/QUOTE]

Best looking fighting game ever.

[quote name='howlinmad']How does it play compared to DOAU? Not sure how much better the graphics and fluid movement could get.[/QUOTE]

it's a sequel to doa 3..so it's way different from Ultimate, which was doa 2. it's a lot faster, crazier, the levels are bigger, there are 24 (or 23) characters to choose from, and the fighting engine has had several adjustments. the levels look incredible, but the character models are only a little better.

[quote name='Apossum']it's a sequel to doa 3..so it's way different from Ultimate, which was doa 2. it's a lot faster, crazier, the levels are bigger, there are 24 (or 23) characters to choose from, and the fighting engine has had several adjustments. the levels look incredible, but the character models are only a little better.[/QUOTE]

Yup, the character models are very simiilar, while the backgrounds are much improved. It could be that the characters are cartoon like, for lack of a better term to begin with, if they look too real, then they will lose that quality. Still, if someone never saw the previous DOA's, they would be very impressed. I do think the game is tougher than previous versions in single player mode.

[quote name='Apossum']it's a sequel to doa 3..so it's way different from Ultimate, which was doa 2. it's a lot faster, crazier, the levels are bigger, there are 24 (or 23) characters to choose from, and the fighting engine has had several adjustments. the levels look incredible, but the character models are only a little better.[/QUOTE]

That's cool, I know DOAU was 2, just meant as far as detail and such. Just played DOAU again recently so it was fresh on my mind. Sorry for the confusion.

What's the name of the "Mistress Chief" character -- or is that her name?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I think a good follow-up question to "whether or not it met your expectations", are

"what exactly were your expectations?"[/QUOTE]

Your random trolling posts in the Microsoft boards are annoying charming.

It really is alot of fun, although the AI can be super cheap and I havnt played online yet, I just unlocked the Spatan and am now trying to get more outfits. Is there some trick to getting counter moves or is the AI just that "good"?

[quote name='howlinmad']That's cool, I know DOAU was 2, just meant as far as detail and such. Just played DOAU again recently so it was fresh on my mind. Sorry for the confusion.[/QUOTE]

Nah, no problem, that was just for clarity's sake for you and anyone else who might be reading :)

It really is alot of fun, although the AI can be super cheap and I havnt played online yet, I just unlocked the Spatan and am now trying to get more outfits. Is there some trick to getting counter moves or is the AI just that "good"?

the computer counters way more than a real player would, unless you are playing a very high level player who knows everyones patterns. it's pretty annoying, but helps out a lot when you play real players, since it forces you to mix up your moves.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I think a good follow-up question to "whether or not it met your expectations", are

"what exactly were your expectations?"[/quote]

I was expecting a lot from the game. It's a team ninja game, so of course people had high expectations for it. but since you're just trolling and don't really know anything about doa to begin with, it would be pointless to explain my expectations :p

I have DSL for internet and I couldn't play DOA Ultimate online on Xbox due to the lag. How is online play for DOA4, would I be able to play with my DSL connection?

I luv this game.. I would pick this over tekken anyday of the week... the background has the biggest improvement overall in DOA4... also the lobby system... is pretty fun and to just hang out at...

The AI is pretty cheap like everybody else said... The AI just counter like a b!tch...

Try using low kick & low punch attacks to confuse the AI... that seem to help me out alot...

after another day of online I can say for sure that this game's online sucks immensely. Until they actually utilize some lobby features, fix the horrible lag and online game design it's gonna be a huge waitfest. don't even get me started on the point system. It's ok for ranking systems like with PGR but when you use it as an alternative to buy things it's completely rediculous.

It's a beautifull game. A lot faster and harder than any other version. How in the hell do you unlock the spartan?

[quote name='Zoglog']after another day of online I can say for sure that this game's online sucks immensely. Until they actually utilize some lobby features, fix the horrible lag and online game design it's gonna be a huge waitfest. don't even get me started on the point system. It's ok for ranking systems like with PGR but when you use it as an alternative to buy things it's completely rediculous.[/QUOTE]

Oh thank god the lag isn't just me. I logged in for a half-hour last night and the lag was bad.

[quote name='stf3']Oh thank god the lag isn't just me. I logged in for a half-hour last night and the lag was bad.[/QUOTE]

a patch is definitely in order...but it won't fix the other guy's connection, if ya know what i mean. I really hate the lag when someone enters and leaves a room...that shit is out of control. even during a silky smooth match, people coming and going screws it up.

[quote name='asianxcore']does anyone else think that Zack's 3rd costume looks like a cross between Tingle and a Pikmin? on purpose I suppose?[/QUOTE]

Well, this costume (although hidden) is not new to DOA 4. But the creator of DOA, Tomonobu Itagaki, said his favorite game is actually Pikmin.

yes the last boss is clearly cheap and I loathe having to do that to get the costumes by beating that #@%@#% over and over. There are certain strategies that will make sure you beat her in 1-5 tries but of course that takes trial and error. You'll find out if you're trying to unlock costumes for all the people though. She is truely a pain in the ass for Brad Wong Since he seems to have almost no long range attacks. Good thing he only has 4 costumes.

The weird thing is i've unlocked all of Kokoro's costume and lo and behold the kimono one isn't one of her 7.......... very strange considering it's all there. Perhaps there's an 8th costume needed to unlock another way or future unlock? because as you all see in the intro it's clearly there.

And as for online they're gonna need to do a major overhaul for sure. I'm guessing that's why they delayed release because Online wasn't up to par. I'm guessing they just didn't want to delay it any longer to get it completely fixed. Perhaps a patch? I've heard that DOA Ultimate had the same issues that were never addressed that has me worried though.

A simple way to make it more fun? mini games in the lobby while you wait your turn to fight. Much more fun than watching 8 people for 15 minutes before you get your turn...

I hope a patch comes in cause I love this game but the lag is just plain bad. And the AI is cheap too, so I really want to play againist some people.

bread's done
Back