Is eBay still a good place to sell?

Spanky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
So it's been a few years since I've sold on ebay and I'm just wondering. Is it still a good place to auction off stuff? I've heard recently that people have been getting scammed or been given negative feedback when neither should have happened. Just wanting to sell some items every now and then but don't want to run into any trouble. Any tips or pointers for a newly but old ebay seller?

It is still the site to use that has the biggest user base.

Of course there are other websites, like mine, that are trying to break-through this economy and make a name for themselves.

Some sites other than eBay offer free ads/listings with no fees.

Listia and recyle are more or less if you don't want to deal with cash value for trade.

If you interested in my website, please message me.

Thanks!

Meh.

Ebay charges/takes 9% of your overall money earned (even money earned on shipping) that you have to pay at the end of the month. On top of the paypal takes (I think) 0.3% of each payment. So if you're looking to make a certain amount of money then try to look else where to earn some cash. If you don't care about how much you get then I'd say to sell on ebay.

I sell on ebay with my boyfriend and have a seperate account for myself when I sell games, but I try not to sell on there if I can.

As far as customers, be as detailed as possible with your product cause I've seen complaints on the smallest thing like "they didn't specify how many scratches were on the disc" or something ridiculous like that. Try to include something like delivery confirmation so you can keep an eye out on the items location so no one can say "they never got it" and try to make a claim against you and ebay forces you to give them ALL their money back.

Good luck! :)

I've never had a problem myself but the fees are quite high and their policies help the scammer, I dont sell there often if i can help it

I use Ebay on and off to buy & sell random things I have laying around or games I no longer play and I've never really had any problems. I don't sell but a couple things a month usually but so far so good.

ive been using ebay sporadically for years now (i actually have 4 auctions right now). ive never had any problems with it. but im sure others on the forum will tell you horror stories. if you dont mind the fees (which i generally dont) then its a fine place to sell.

Ebay is fine if you know what to expect going in - high fees and the possibility of deadbeat buyers.

I think the best use of ebay is for oddball things that you'd have a hardtime selling elsewhere (ie - incomplete items, broken items, small "lots" of movies/games, clothing like worn shoes and jackets, musical instruments, toys, etc). It's not the ideal place for NEW items if you ask me, Amazon gets far higher prices for new stuff.

I have no problem with Ebay and how they work, because they typically don't hide what they charge. If you are selling things you'd have a hard time getting rid in other places, Ebay is great.

They're great when they have their free insertion promos. That way I can offset their fees by at least 5% by listing with my minimum asking price automatically (eBay/PayPal will still take 8% but that's fair since they have a high profile site with lots of traffic).

Make sure you 1) describe items as accurately and in as much detail as possible (I usually take pictures for my own records), and 2) ship with delivery confirmation (automatic if you buy and print the USPS shipping labels online). Other good ideas: 3) Have a "No Return" or "Exchange only if incorrect Item is Shipped" Policy, 4) ship only to Verified PayPal addresses (in order to qualify for PayPal Seller Protection), and 5) ship only within the USA (in order to ensure USPS delivery confirmation works).

However, these steps will not protect you from buyers who don't pay (although you can file a non-paying bidder claim and get your insertion fees back), buyers who don't read your descriptions, buyers who are determined to try to scam you, and other pain-in-the-ass buyers in general.

Yep, eBay is extremely buyer-orientated, but I don't know any other auction sites with as big as a user base or who treat sellers any better than eBay.

bread's done
Back