Is Final Fantasy Getting Old?

thats like asking, "is simpsons getting old?" or is mario getting old? never. itll be sequeled forever, or up to like final fantasy 99

You do know that a thread like this is just going to get a lot of "yeah it sucks dood al the guys are gay" posts. True or not the conversations is going to be pretty one sided.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Well u must like FF cuz ur avatar is a tonberry lol[/quote]

:rofl:

op, your avatar is awesome (i think i mentioned this already in another thread).

i like the ff series b/c they're all at least better than avg rpg's. if anything, i wait until they hit $20 to buy them and know that i'm getting a quality product which will last me for 50+ hours or more.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal'][quote name='pimpinc333']Well u must like FF cuz ur avatar is a tonberry lol[/quote]

:rofl:

op, your avatar is awesome (i think i mentioned this already in another thread).

i like the ff series b/c they're all at least better than avg rpg's. if anything, i wait until they hit $20 to buy them and know that i'm getting a quality product which will last me for 50+ hours or more.[/quote]

Yep Yep Tru Dat Shit

basically since they are great games, the name doesn't matter. like no matter what name number 12 gets, it will be equally good.

i still do like ff and i will most like buy ffxii though ffxxx :shock: but it not as good as it used to be.

[quote name='Alpha2']You do know that a thread like this is just going to get a lot of "yeah it sucks dood al the guys are gay" posts. True or not the conversations is going to be pretty one sided.[/quote]

Apparently not, because everyone's still posting...

Personally, I can't stand the series. The games that I've played aren't terrible, but I'm beginning to loathe it because of the huge number of fanboys who keep insisting that it's the best game series of all time. Hating the game for its fanboys is almost as cliché as saying that it sucks or that it's the best RPG series that has been or will be created, but that's honestly how I feel.

Besides...I've felt that way for years. My stupid prejudice is older than yours. :wink:

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='Alpha2']You do know that a thread like this is just going to get a lot of "yeah it sucks dood al the guys are gay" posts. True or not the conversations is going to be pretty one sided.[/quote]

Apparently not, because everyone's still posting...

Personally, I can't stand the series. The games that I've played aren't terrible, but I'm beginning to loathe it because of the huge number of fanboys who keep insisting that it's the best game series of all time. Hating the game for its fanboys is almost as cliché as saying that it sucks or that it's the best RPG series that has been or will be created, but that's honestly how I feel.

Besides...I've felt that way for years. My stupid prejudice is older than yours. :wink:[/quote]

It got old when square became more interested in making cgi cutscenes and movies than an actual game.

The series isn't getting old. What is getting old is Square's reluctance to realize that fmv's, metrosexual men and love stories don't make great rpgs.

I never said he wasnt going to get replies what I WAS saying is that the thread is simply going to degenreate into one where people keep saying FF sucks for the same reasons that have already be stated in every FF thread on CAG:

1. Gay/Metro hero characters
2. FMV
3. Love stories

Then it gets repeated for 10 pages with the occasional person that really Like FF giving the people that dont like it more reason to keep posting. Lather, rinse, repeat.

[quote name='Alpha2']I never said he wasnt going to get replies what I WAS saying is that the thread is simply going to degenreate into one where people keep saying FF sucks for the same reasons that have already be stated in every FF thread on CAG:

1. Gay/Metro hero characters
2. FMV
3. Love stories

Then it gets repeated for 10 pages with the occasional person that really Like FF giving the people that dont like it more reason to keep posting. Lather, rinse, repeat.[/quote]

You better get you head on straight cause I never said it that FF "sucked". :roll:

[quote name='Scrubking']No, but you used my points word for word so don't even attempt to go there.[/quote]

"Your" points? Hate to tell you this, but those are the ones that have been used against FF for years. You can use them, but you sure as hell can't claim them as your own at this point...

That's the point I was making, people have felt this way for ever, and every time they claim to dislike the games, those are the most common reasons, heck I dont think I'd even seen our post when I wrote it.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='Scrubking']No, but you used my points word for word so don't even attempt to go there.[/quote]

"Your" points? Hate to tell you this, but those are the ones that have been used against FF for years. You can use them, but you sure as hell can't claim them as your own at this point...[/quote]

Do I really need to elaborate? *sigh* I meant in this thread, and I needed to make sure that, even though my words were used practically verbatim, I never implied that the series sucked.

Not to mention that I have never heard the masses complain about the things I mentioned - maybe it's cause I don't hang out in the anti final fantasy sites.

I dont think the Final Fantasy series is getting old, but I disliked FFX, and I dont play MMORPGs, so Ive never even played XI. However, XII looks like the battle system is simular to the one in KotOR, which Im really looking forward to.

Okay, I'll say it just for the sake of peace:

I was in no way attemping to paint Skubking as an example of those that don't like FF. Any duplication of his post was honestly coincidence. As I said before in every thread the people that didn like it, simply used the same points to defend their position against it.

Personally I dont have any problems with the game and am even hoping to buy the next one baring a massive goof on Squeenix's part.

I think 7 through 10 were pushing it (specifically 8), but 11 and 12 are keeping the series freshy fresh.

That should say "(specifically 8)", I don't know what happened.

EDIT: I don't know why it's not showing up but:

" ( s p e c i f i c a l l y 8 ) "

Heck no. Final Fantasy is the greatest console gaming series ever and it better not end. However, I am disappointed in the way Square Enix is trying to take the series. I personally found FFX-2 a let down, I wasn't too happy about FFXI being online (although if the game was just called FF Online, I'd feel better), and I'm not too happy to see FFXII go real-time for battles. I personally like the old ATB style battles with a world map. I would care if Square Enix continued to make 60 Final Fantasy games similar to FFIV, V, VI, VII, IX, and X. I'd buy them all and like them all.

I can't claim to have played all the old FFs, i may eventually get around to trying if they'd ever port them to the GBA, but I don't think it's getting old. Yeah a lot of the same things go on, but that's kinda what makes you feel at home.

I always thought of the Final Fantasy games as "filler RPG" for me to play between other, better RPGs out there. They're OK games, not the best but certainly not the worst either. They help me pass my video game time enjoyably.

i dont think of them as filler, but there are better rpgs. 9 and 10 were both good but nothing like the awesomeness of 6-8, but i dont count square out, 12 could very well be amazing. they've just been in a slump in general, everything post 99 has been sub-par compared to everything pre 99

front mission 4 and unlimited saga were both great tho.

oh and on topic:
yes final fantasy is getting old, its also getting more respected and expanding it's user base. getting old is not a bad thing.

is ff getting stale? yes and no. the spin-offs are lame imo. tactics advance, cc, and online are giving the ff name a bad rep.

Final Fantasy is not getting old IMHO but that washout crap they called a game (Final Fantasy X-2) is uber crap.

And to everyone else if you don't like FF games then don't play/buy them (yes it is that simple).

Everything was fine up until X.
2 and 3 were great. So was 7. I loved 8 besides the crappy magic system and 9 was good. X felt more like an interactive movie and the voice acting killed it partially. I was bored with it. The opening sequence in X-II looks embarassing.

I do enjoy FF 11 though.

FF is probably the most mainstream RPG, so they're targeting the masses (ooo pretty!) instead of the real hardcore RPG people. The more people you try to please, the less each person will be.

Its still good... But not great.

I picked up final fantasy when II(IV) was released for the SNES and I've been playing each one since. I have been disappointed by several (VIII, X), but I still enjoy the games as much, if not more than others. I just got XI and can't wait for XII to be released, although my favorites will always be the SNES releases and IX. I think the games are great, but overrated. It seems lately that their being overrated has caused a lot of people to loathe the series. That is the best I can do to describe my stance on the FF series : )

i've never liked dthe Final Fantasy series.

A demo of Final Fantasy VII came with my PS1, and after playing it, i had no desire to play it or any other final Fantasy game...

i later played a final fantasy X demo... and then once again had no desire to go buy the game or play any final fantasy game.

the only thing getting old is all the kids on gamefaqs who wont stop screaming how cloud is god and sephiroth is uber.....i hate gamefaqs

[quote name='dafoomie']FF is probably the most mainstream RPG, so they're targeting the masses (ooo pretty!) instead of the real hardcore RPG people. The more people you try to please, the less each person will be.

Its still good... But not great.[/quote]

thats the best summary of FF i have ever heard, short and nails the point

I'm not a huge FF fan, and not a fanboy, but to answer the actual question, Is FF getting old?
Literally: yes. The first FF game came out, what, 20+ years ago?
Figuratively: No. I find that each game I play has enough new stuff to add novelty, while building upon concepts, creatures, characterizations, and general 'feel' that it is still somewhat familiar without being a stale rerun.
Are they the best games EVAR?!? No. There's no such thing as a perfect game, and never will be. They're fun, and yes, more mainstream than some RPG's--if it takes even the most mediocre FF to get accepted, to allow me to buy Persona or Nocturne or La Pucelle, then so be it.
But neither are they the worst games ever. I just finished FFx-2 at 71% percent about about 65 hours. I feel that I more than got my money's worth. It wasn't a super deep game, and of course there are things I'd change if I had my druthers, but I enjoyed it as I was playing it. I don't know if I'll replay it or do the New Game, since I've got other games I haven't beaten yet, but I'm glad they gave me the option of doing so.

Good but not great, every game is someone's favorite, always room for improvement, but still possesses some novelty.

And FFT [the original, on the PS1] is probably my favorite console game of all time, or at least in the top 5.

bread's done
Back