is gamestop fine with your friend using your edge card?

unknownthreat

CAGiversary!
My friend and I are going to do the b2g1 and Im wondering can I let him use my edge card or will gamestop say something?

Also if my friend wanted to trade in games and get the 10% bonus from my edge, how should he get the credit? He wouldn't put it on the card since it's mine.

Technically if they catch you they can ban you from store. Card isn't supposed to be shared. Plus if he tries to trade in games they will check ID and they will know the card isn't him.

So do it at your own risk.

If you let your friend use your edge card your basically stealing - in this case a service but its still theft.

They CAN ban you, or kick you out, or throw glitter in your face. Basically if you want to do something illegal like let a friend use your card then its a risk your going to have to take.

Ban? are you sure? that does not seem right. The customer paid for the EDGE card, and should be able to use it how they want for their friends and family. If a GameStop employee tells you otherwise then he or she is probably just making it up because they wouldn't be able to sell a EDGE card to a new customer for their performance numbers.

They should be checking id and phone number when doing trade in's though and they will see the card doesn't belong to you.

Simplest solution is just go with your friend and have him give you the money and you pay for it. Then its legal and they can't say something. You can also trade in the games for him like 62t said and ask em to put it on a giftcard.

[quote name='tenzor']Ban? are you sure? that does not seem right. The customer paid for the EDGE card, and should be able to use it how they want for their friends and family. If a GameStop employee told you this then he is probably just making it up because he is bitter that he or she can't sell a EDGE card to a new customer for their performance numbers.[/QUOTE]

Except the edge card is NOT for friends and family. Its for the person who paid for it only, just like the blockbuster reward zone card is restricted to the person who signed up for it. You can't just pass it around or else no one would buy it. They'd just leave one taped to a gamestop door for everyone to use.

Purposely doing something like that COULD get you banned - most likely they'd kick you out and flag your card to always check ID or something.

Coming from a former employee, they should not care, their statistics are based upon this. Each sale that you don't get an edge subscription adds to a stat. The sales in which edge cards are used don't count negatively towards them, so it is really not hurting anyone.

Oh they might not care thats true. Then again in my experience your just as likely to get an employee in a bad mood who loves a chance to punish a customer for breaking the rules. Hence why you should be careful and try not to do it. Especially as your planning to do this during one of their busiest times and their employee's will be extremely swamped with annoying people swarming them.

It is NOT a good idea to do anything that might piss off a sales person around black friday, if you've ever worked retail you'll understand why.

[quote name='MediaJunkie92']Coming from a former employee, they should not care, their statistics are based upon this. Each sale that you don't get an edge subscription adds to a stat. The sales in which edge cards are used don't count negatively towards them, so it is really not hurting anyone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought gs wouldn't care. Brian made them sound like they actually follow their own rules but we all know the employees at gamestop never really do and they don't even know that much about games. This one gamestop employee tried to sell me a wired 360 controller without the usb cord and she said you didn't need it. :bomb:

I let my friends/family use my Edge card all the time- usually I give it to them at the counter with the cashier watching. They don't care- like stated, extra edge card transactions make the store look better.

We don't do trade ins, though- I'm not sure how that plays out, but your friend would have to spend the credit immedately, I doubt they'd put it on a new card. Maybe call ahead and ask if you can do some trades and buy a gift card with the crecit immediately- it's Christmas, after all. If you can, he should do that.

I let my friend use my edge card after me once for a trade in. The manager said after ringing up his games "You can't use that." He took his games and said okay then I won't bother. Then the manager says "Alright, but only this one time."

I guess the lesson was that you really aren't supposed to, but if they really want/need trades, they will bend or break the rules to accomodate you.

Well you can request the credit be put on a new card. I've done that before. If they raise a fuss just tell em you want to give it to someone for a gift. The main issue is here they take your drivers license and compare the address, phone, etc to whats on record for card. Now that might vary from state to state depending on how they classify gamestop. Some states or even counties i believe classify em as a pawn shop and they follow stricter rules.

So for a trade in it might not work. Like i said before though, they CAN do that. What they actually do is impossible to say until you try, just be aware you COULD get into trouble for it. Most likely you won't but it IS possible. The edge card does specifically state on the back it can't be transfered.

Yeah, one week my gamestop got loads of edge accounts. We were wondering how we would keep the numbers up if all the customers had them. Then we realized that transactions with edge don't count against us. So no problem haha. God I am glad I left that place.

I'll report back on what happens. I don't expect them to ban anyone. Their response is probably going to be "You can't do this" or "Sure, it's fine" and not "You broke our rules! You're banned from our store for trying to get 10%."

What's the difference between you making the transaction on behalf of someone else, and lending them your card? Just don't do something dumb like using a credit card with a different name.

As far as trading-in you have to be able to trust each other. Basically just put his credit on your card then buy a gift card to give him.

bread's done
Back