Is GOW2 going to look like crap on the PS3?

variablesunknown

CAGiversary!
Does anyone know what resolutions that God of War 2 is going to support? I loved the first one but I popped it in the PS3 the other day and even with progressive scan enabled it looked like ass (although not as god-awful terrible as most of the other ps2 games). I would really love to play another great God of War game but not if it looks all blocky and jagged. Anyone know anything about this? Anyone else wanting to get God of War 2 for the PS3 (ps2)?

I'd just use the standard cables and run it regular.. cause if you run it in HDMI, it might have the jaggies, and that's assuming that Sony doesn't do anything (firmware - wise) to addres the issue.

[quote name='Thomas96']I'd just use the standard cables and run it regular.. cause if you run it in HDMI, it might have the jaggies, and that's assuming that Sony doesn't do anything (firmware - wise) to addres the issue.[/QUOTE]That's what I do for BC PS2 games, and they look just fine, except for a few with some scaling issues. I feel the issue is overblown by fanboys of other consoles.

[quote name='bortle']I thought that I read somewhere that they are optimizing the game for HD. Could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

If they do that... then the ps2 may get an life extension...

I am going to try running GOW on the regular cables and see if that helps. I sure hope that they try to optimize for HD, support for 720p would be a dream come true! My problem is that I have a 1080p LCD and most last gen games look pretty crappy, even BC XBOX games dont look so hot, I recently put in KOTOR and it looked like someone threw up on the screen! Maybe we all are getting spoiled by the high visual bar set by games like Gears of War and Oblivion.

It is not over blown at all.

I'm not talking random loose jaggies, there are some big issues with pixel flipping and other odd problems. Hopefully with with an update they can address these things.

GoW has progress scan so GoW2 most likely will also. Those with progressive scan modes do look a lot better.

I agree that the issue is not overblown, these are serious graphical steps back with the backwards compatible games. My wife, who is not into audio-visual tech or even really video games saw me playing ssx on tour the other day through the PS3 and she took one look and said "I didnt know they made an ssx game for the PS1?" When your wife or other non-gamers tell you a game looks like garbage there is definately a problem.

[quote name='NamPaehc']It is not over blown at all.

I'm not talking random loose jaggies, there are some big issues with pixel flipping and other odd problems. Hopefully with with an update they can address these things.

GoW has progress scan so GoW2 most likely will also. Those with progressive scan modes do look a lot better.[/QUOTE]I know it's over blown because I have 203 PS2 games, along with 64 PS1 games, tried out ALMOST every single one, and only encountered a few with issues.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I know it's over blown because I have 203 PS2 games, along with 64 PS1 games, tried out ALMOST every single one, and only encountered a few with issues.[/quote]

You must have bad eyesight, or lower standards. :p j/k What kind/size TV do you have btw?

Anyway... here are some pictures of GoW without and with Progressive mode on which makes it appear a bit better.

StatueComp.jpg

If you have a dvd disc you can actually put more information on it, as long as it's being read by a blu ray laser... since the beam is smaller it can read more of the dvd surface. Might be a good idea for Sony to add some additional things to boot the game up to HD...

[quote name='NamPaehc']You must have bad eyesight, or lower standards. :p j/k What kind/size TV do you have btw?

Anyway... here are some pictures of GoW without and with Progressive mode on which makes it appear a bit better.

StatueComp.jpg
[/QUOTE]

it looks better.. but if the game is good.. one could overlook it..

clearly that is a difference from 480i to 480p... however is that big of a difference between 1080i, and 1080p.

God of War 1 looks fine on PS3. (of of the games with no problems on ps3)

I'm sure then that GOW2 will run fine as well.

This may sound like a dumb question but how do you enable progressive scan on the ps3 playing ps2 games, do you have to hold down buttons like the ps2 or is it auto enabled

[quote name='empyrium']This may sound like a dumb question but how do you enable progressive scan on the ps3 playing ps2 games, do you have to hold down buttons like the ps2 or is it auto enabled[/quote]

Some games you have to turn it on in the options menu.
Some you hold down the two buttons, it's triangle and something.

I'm not sure if you have to hold them down when running on PS3, probably do.

can someone else answer me with a more difinitive answer? "probably do" doesnt work lol Ps2 games look like ass on my ps3 and i would like to know if there are settings or does it differ game to game. I tried holding down the buttons to no avail.

[quote name='Gojtron']Depends on the game. Google it instead of being annoying. Or go back to gamefaqs.[/quote]
Now that is what I call "being helpful".

We shouldnt have this hassle of going "interlaced", "progressive" etc. It should be as easy as putting the damn disc inside the ps3 and playing the game as if you were playing in the ps2...

PS2 games look like crap on the ps3, period. :bomb:

[quote name='oasisboy']Now that is what I call "being helpful".

We shouldnt have this hassle of going "interlaced", "progressive" etc. It should be as easy as putting the damn disc inside the ps3 and playing the game as if you were playing in the ps2...

PS2 games look like crap on the ps3, period. :bomb:[/QUOTE]
Except, it is the same on the PS2. Some games have progressive scan, some don't. Some games you can turn progressive on in the menu, some you have to enter a button combination. It all depends on the game, that's why they told him to look it up for whatever games he is interested in.

I found this website to be helpful, it's not entirely accurate, but it's better than nothing. http://144.92.43.200/hdg/

[quote name='zewone']Except, it is the same on the PS2. Some games have progressive scan, some don't. Some games you can turn progressive on in the menu, some you have to enter a button combination. It all depends on the game, that's why they told him to look it up for whatever games he is interested in.

I found this website to be helpful, it's not entirely accurate, but it's better than nothing. http://144.92.43.200/hdg/[/QUOTE]

Thing is that it's not even the same as using a PS2. On the Playstation forums, it's documented that when playing some PS2 games on the PS3, it has some scaling issues and some pixels get swapped.

Games with the option of progressive scan on is suppose to fix the PS3 pixel swapping issue. So if you have experienced GOW on progressive scan on the PS3 then you can pretty much expect the same thing. I've played GOW on the PS2 with my 48" HDTV using component and I didn't think it was jaggy at all. a bit blocky yes but I've always thought that.

gamefaqs? wow some people are hostile, ive been here for 3 years, just had a legitimate question.....simmer a bit

[quote name='jngx80']Thing is that it's not even the same as using a PS2. On the Playstation forums, it's documented that when playing some PS2 games on the PS3, it has some scaling issues and some pixels get swapped.

Games with the option of progressive scan on is suppose to fix the PS3 pixel swapping issue. So if you have experienced GOW on progressive scan on the PS3 then you can pretty much expect the same thing. I've played GOW on the PS2 with my 48" HDTV using component and I didn't think it was jaggy at all. a bit blocky yes but I've always thought that.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I know about the graphical issues. When I said it was the same, I meant the procedure of putting it in progressive scan.

Honestly, im a Sony fanboy and agree that some PS2 games look like utter shit on the PS3. The one that stands out to me is Mortal Kombat Armaggedon

bread's done
Back