Is he telling the truth? Shipping to Brazil..

supafly1824

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Well I really don't know where to post this, I hope somebody here can help me out.

I recently sold my psp on ebay to a guy in Brazil. 11 feedback... all seems well and good. He payed me through paypal already, so thats not an issue. But look what he told me.

About the gift/value issue, when a package arrive at the brazillian customs they are random picked to be taxed. When this happens they open the package, check them items and charge the destinatary with 60% value of the item. Let's say you declare in the package I paid you $240,00. Then once it gets here, they will see the $240.00 tag and charge me 60% x 240 = $144.00 additional to the value I've already paid... can you see the problem here?

If you declare like $47.90 (just a random number between 40 and 50 usd) and as a gift, not only I have a chance to pay nothing at all but also if I got *lucky* and they get this package I'll be charged only 60% of $47.90. Also, you could write an ambiguous description like "Used portable game" or "Portable media system" or even "Sony Walkman" (lol), that would help that the package isn't choosen.

Now I am rather new to foreign shipping. Is this guy really telling the truth. This may sound stupid.. but does Brazil really do that? Or is this guy trying to pull something on me? I just want to make sure I am safe here..

Thanks

I know that some countries charge import taxes, not sure about Brazil but I wouldn't trust the buyer since the countries that charge import taxes charge all receivers not just a few select ones like the buyer is saying.

Not that it makes it true, but I have been told this same thing from a buyer in Brazil. I really don't understand foreign customs though because I always thought you only got taxed on brand new items.

Well the thing is...

He has a 100% feedback rating, but only 11 feedbacks all sellers).

And he already paid me through paypal, I have the money in my hand. So even if he is pulling one on me... what could he possibly do? It sounds fishy.. anybody live in brazil? :roll:

[quote name='supafly1824']Well the thing is...

He has a 100% feedback rating, but only 11 feedbacks all sellers).

And he already paid me through paypal, I have the money in my hand. So even if he is pulling one on me... what could he possibly do? It sounds fishy.. anybody live in brazil? :roll:[/quote]

Just put the actual amount. It isn't your problem. How are you shipping? UPS bypasses customs if I'm not mistaken.

I've seen it before. This is so they don't have to pay exhorbitant taxes. For example, this Power Seller does the same thing:

International buyers please note that I check "GIFT" and a very low value on all customs forms to avoid unwanted taxes
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290008312079

I'm not saying your guy isn't a scammer, just letting you know I've seen it before.

LOL, had to laugh at the Sony Walkman part. :rofl:

It's probably true, when shipping to another country, the buyer sometimes has to pay taxes. I have been asked the same thing (to declare it a gift) by international buyers before.

I have never shipped to Brazil but I once shipped a saddle and some Tack to Canada and I talked to the guy and he was saying a very similar thing albeit with a much smaller tax rate so I ended up shipping UPS to avoid that but it ended up costing like 150 dollars to ship it so I doubt it saved any money but oh well.

BTW get insurance on items shipped out of the US all the times I have done the boxes ended up being really mangled.

So I would say that is not a scam and since you have the money already I say go ahead and Ship UPS.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']It's probably true, when shipping to another country, the buyer sometimes has to pay taxes. I have been asked the same thing (to declare it a gift) by international buyers before.[/quote]

Ditto, to Mexico. I checked gift, and the item went through without a problem. The buyer left me positive feedback, and it was an all around smooth transaction. However, I'd like to know a little more on the legality of such a move.

Having worked for UPS in the past, they do not bypass customs. A Declaration of Contents will be needed no matter who you ship through, most places will fill it all out for you. Certain gifts are excluded from taxes, it's just saving him from paying more.

bread's done
Back