is installing a new video card easy?

valance

CAGiversary!
a little while ago I bought and installed RAM, and that was super easy. i have a moderate understanding of computers, and I am about to buy a new video card here. is it just as easy to install as RAM? pull out the old, put in the new, install drives, BAM i'm done?

[quote name='CaseyRyback']yea it is. Uninstall the old graphics card, take it out, pop in the new one and install it.[/QUOTE]

indeed, its just that easy ;)

[quote name='CaseyRyback']yea it is. Uninstall the old graphics card, take it out, pop in the new one and install it.[/QUOTE]
Then there's the drivers...

the hardest part is making sure you buy the right card for the port you're plugging into.

if you can do that (tell between pci-e, agp 4x, agp 8x, etc) then you should be able to do the rest just fine.

I remember 2 years ago, when I had a AMD motherboard and CPU, that I had to install AGP drivers for my motherboard before I changed the cards. I was switching from a Voodoo 3 card to a Radeon 9000, and I guess ATI cards need something like that on an AMD-based system. It should also say in the manual that comes with the card if you need to do that.

[quote name='Kayden']If you can make poptarts, you can change PC hardware.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, there are so many instructions on poptarts, I get confused around the 'unwrap' step.

[quote name='radjago']Then there's the drivers...[/QUOTE]

yeah this is by far the most complicated part, even though its not that complicated itself. just remeber to download the most recent drivers from the manufactures website first, because the ones that come on the disc are usually already outdated.

[quote name='Tiphireth']I dunno, there are so many instructions on poptarts, I get confused around the 'unwrap' step.[/QUOTE]

Thats because you're a cuntwacking fuck nugget.

make sure to uninstall the drivers from the old videocard also. And it might not be a bad idea to go see if you can find the manual on the manufacturer's website for whichever card you plan on buying just so you can see exactly what they want you to do before actually buying it.

cool thanks for all the info, that's what i hoped to hear. i'll pratice on the poptarts so i'm ready for the real thing. do they make the 512 RAM smores poptarts yet?

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

That is a good utility to use to make sure you clean out your old drivers properly.

Process that I use:

Add/Remove Programs & go to where your video card drivers are (if applicable)
or you can just do it through the device manager.

Restart into safe mode.

Run Driver Cleaner for your corresponding card manufacturer.

Power off then install your new card....VOILA! Piece of cake :)

bread's done
Back