is ipod the best mp3 player for the price?

My response to this is: Hell No.

Check out Creative's Zen line, they're like really cheap (got my 20 gig Touch (latest model) for 194)

well iPods are certainly the most popular mp3 players. but costco in store had 20 gig ipods for $280. i quess thats a decent price.

They can't play wma's, have expensive replacement batteries and are overpriced. I have a Creative Nomad Zen Xtra 30 gig I got from Amazon for around $200 and love it. The rechargable replacement battery is $30 at Radio Shack when you need it. Stock item, unlike Apple's expensive battery. Doesn't look as cool as an Ipod thought.

I have some friends who have the Dell DJ which is also very good and plays both formats. They are on sale today for $200 for a 20 gig.

Whatever you buy, you should check out Red Chair Software's Notmad software. It is the best for transfering to your unit.

Ipods are the most popular, but most people would consider getting a better deal with other brand such as iriver, zen, or dell dj.

[quote name='62t']Ipods are the most popular, but most people would consider getting a better deal with other brand such as iriver, zen, or dell dj.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: You just said better deal and iriver.

iPods aren't the cheapest but you get what you pay for. I love my iPod and after testing several other players out I decided the extra money was worth it.

Being a macintosh user, I am glad to see them achieve such success with the ipod (I do graphics work), hope their computer business will benefit more from it (apart from my XB, I despise most microsoft products)

The itunes software is one of the most used programs on my computer,

If you picked apart the features on an individual basis (size, battery life, price), ipods may not be the top option, but as a whole package, they can't be beat, and are very cool to have to the point ipod is a household name...

If you're g oing to shell out $300, why not buy an iRiver? Its got the same 20gb hdd as tyhe iPod, and it has a color screen, support for many formats including ogg vorbis and mp3, has better sound quality, better battery life, and a whole bunch of other stuff that make it the best player out there.

If your looking best as in pricewise, hoowever, then the creative mp3 players might do you good.

If I would go out and buy an mp3 player now, I'd go with one of the Creative ones for the price. However, I got kinda lucky and my dad gave me his old 3rd Gen iPod since he never used it, and while it is pretty good, I don't think I'd ever pay $300 for one of them. I'd gladly spend $100 less and get something that has more space even though it's a little uglier. I mean, I keep my iPod tucked in the inside of my jacket pocket so it's safe, so its stylish looks are pretty much wasted on me (and I feel some of the style removes a bit of the functionality (no power button, lock button is hard to move, and a non-easily swappable battery)).

If you are going to buy an iPod and you're still in college, be sure to get it off of Apple's website. They give educational discounts (I think it's around 10% off).

[quote name='Rich'][quote name='62t']Ipods are the most popular, but most people would consider getting a better deal with other brand such as iriver, zen, or dell dj.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: You just said better deal and iriver.[/quote]

yes i did

you know you can always try to get a free one check the referral thread for more info.. but if you actually want to purchase one..

I'd try ebay first.. if you can't get it for 200 or less then say go with a 200 dollar creative... I don't know how "bulky" they are (i remember the old ones were pretty bulky.. like a cd player).. but if they have a smaller design now then go for it.. because it can probably play more formats..

and then.. i'd suggest getting napster.. (you can fill your player for 15 bucks.. thats not bad..)

laterz
ROb

[quote name='62t'][quote name='Rich'][quote name='62t']Ipods are the most popular, but most people would consider getting a better deal with other brand such as iriver, zen, or dell dj.[/quote]

yes i did[/quote]

Well good job, since iRivers are fucking expensive.

Just say no to Ipods. Get a Creative Labs player, I just upgraded players and got a Zen Micro and have never been happier with a portable music device.

[quote name='Rich'][quote name='62t'][quote name='Rich'][quote name='62t']Ipods are the most popular, but most people would consider getting a better deal with other brand such as iriver, zen, or dell dj.[/quote]

yes i did[/quote]

Well good job, since iRivers are shaq-fuing expensive.[/quote]

Same price as the iPod with more stuff. So I'd say better deal...

iPods are by far the best music player IMO. It's not just the music player, though -- You get to use iTunes. It is definately the best music collection software out there.. and all this is easy to use..

And, if I were you, I wouldn't be caught dead using WMA... It's a messy, bloated format.. and Microsoft makes it so you don't know what is coming along with it...

Edit: Oh, and student discounts for iPods wouldn't bring it down to $70. It'd be around $260.

And if you're getting an iPod right now, your best deal would be the 30GB iPod Photo, which has a color screen and better battery life. It's $350 normal price.

[quote name='Coolnat2004']iPods are by far the best music player IMO. It's not just the music player, though -- You get to use iTunes. It is definately the best music collection software out there.. and all this is easy to use..
[/quote]

Nah, torrentspy is. Cheapasses need not apply to iTunes.

[quote name='Rich'][quote name='Coolnat2004']iPods are by far the best music player IMO. It's not just the music player, though -- You get to use iTunes. It is definately the best music collection software out there.. and all this is easy to use..
[/quote]

Nah, torrentspy is. Cheapasses need not apply to iTunes.[/quote]

That's not the way we do business around here. We're cheapasses, not criminals. :evil:

I have a Shuffle (ok, my wife does). If you're looking at this capacity range (512MB - 1GB) I'd say go with the iPod. Competitive price at this level. But I would recommend another brand for cheapness sake over the other iPod models.

Yes, I will concede that the iPod is expensive and lacks several prominent features. But I am sick of everyone slamming it because: 1) It's an Apple made product and/or 2) it's popular. It's popular for a reason: no other MP3 player has more intuitive controls or offers such ease of use as an iPod. The interface and music syncing are near flawless.

If you want a good deal on an MP3 player, don't get an iPod. But if you really want the BEST player, it's worth the extra money.

[quote name='Jrunt20x'][quote name='Rich'][quote name='Coolnat2004']iPods are by far the best music player IMO. It's not just the music player, though -- You get to use iTunes. It is definately the best music collection software out there.. and all this is easy to use..
[/quote]

Nah, torrentspy is. Cheapasses need not apply to iTunes.[/quote]

That's not the way we do business around here. We're cheapasses, not criminals. :evil:[/quote]
Notice I said "music collection software" not "online music store". Although iTMS is very good, you don't have to use it if you use iTunes..

I have used 3 mp3 players extensively.

512MB Samsung Yepp.
PRO:
Ultra Small and light.
Has a screen for playlist.
Voice recording to mp3 (take very little space).
Radio and Radio recording to mp3.
Inexpensive.
No software required to play.
Runs wav,mp3 and wma.

CON:
Not enough space.
battery drain fast (adventised 12hr with a AAA but I barely got 6hr)
Contrl stick doesn't work sometimes.

Ipod 20GB
PRO:
Capacity.
screen and dial for fast selection.

CON:
Heavy and expensive.
Battery drain very fast but it is rechargable.
I realized 80% of songs I put in, I have never listened to after so many months.
No radio and voice recording.
Must install software for file transfer.
Runs only apple format.

SANDISK 1GB
PRO:
Ultra Small and light.
Has a screen for playlist.
Voice recording
Radio and Radio recording to mp3.
Inexpensive.
Just enough capacity.
Battery runs forever.
Runs wav,mp3 and wma.

CON:
Voice recording to wav (take a lot of space).
Slightly bigger than Samsung Yepp.

[quote name='Coolnat2004']And, if I were you, I wouldn't be caught dead using WMA... It's a messy, bloated format.. and Microsoft makes it so you don't know what is coming along with it...

.[/quote]

WMA bloated?? It rips way smaller size file with similar quality.

Check your encoding software.

[quote name='ngxbox2004']Buy a CD player that supports MP3 CDs for $50....[/quote]
$50? :shock: Last time I got one (over a year ago) I paid ~$30 and that was with an LCD to show the tag info.

All keep in mind that ipod are getting more advertisment. As for best way to get songs, use allofmp3.com

[quote name='javeryh']iPods aren't the cheapest but you get what you pay for. I love my iPod and after testing several other players out I decided the extra money was worth it.[/quote]

i completly agree. They are more expensive than other mp3 players of the same sort, but you will defiantly get what you pay for. I love my ipod.

I got an iPod mini last week for $180 from Amazon.

I love it so far, except for the battery life on it. But it is rechargable so it makes it a little bit better. I never really realized how many songs you could put on those things. I figured an iPod mini wouldn't be enough GBs, but I've only used 1 GB so far.

Buy.com has the new 4 GB iPOD mini right now for $185 w/free shipping and I am thinking of biting on it. They supposedly gave it a new battery which doesn't drain as fast. Should I get this or a Zen Micro (about $200)????

no one who owns a different mp3 player is going to stand up for the ipod, please keep that in mind. likewise, if you gave someone their choice of any player, no matter the price, they would pick ipod every time. it's an incredible little device, and worth every penny if you can afford it. just some food for thought.

Just chiming in here as both an iRiver and Ipod owner. I just got an iPod last month and I think it is the best in terms of usability (iTunes, Click wheel, menu system), and the build quality is second to none. Try comparing the Zen or Touch and the iPod side by side, feel the weight and robustness of the case. Someone else here said the iPod was too heavy. Well, that's how solid the iPod feels. I can't tell you how many times I went into a store selling mp3 players and I see these competing products from Creative and they are FALLING APART! These are lighter because they are cheaply made with inferior plastics and metal. You're comparing Hondas to BMW's here. Sure, they will both do the same thing, but one is a luxury product with a luxury price.

I just got a Zen Micro from Amazon,

Initally I was going to go with an ipod, but after seeing

http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

I started to look for another player. The battery program is a little different, but still not very pleasing.

I was looking for something comparable to the mini. The mini's battery can be replaced, but still requires some work.

The Micro at around the same pricepoint has an extra gig, fm tuner, + recorder and a 12h battery life.

If you want the most stylish "hip" mp3 player, want it to be simple to use and don't really care about how good of a deal you're getting go with the IPod. If you wan't a better deal and more features but don't really care about not having the cool looks that the IPod does go with Creative or IRiver. The Creative players are definitely the best deal (40gb for around $200) and are known to have the best sound quality out of all the players. The IRiver players usually have the most features, good sound quality and decent value for what you get.

Another brand to consider (although most usually just look past it) is Archos. You can get the Gmini xs200 (I think that's the name) for under $200, has 20gb and is pretty small. The Gmini400 is about the size of an IPod but has a color screen and can play movies, I think you can get it for around $200 also, but I'm not positive on that. Someone in another MP3 player thread brought the Gmini400 to my attention a while ago and it looks like quite the deal, especially if you want he movie playback feature. Maybe some one else will chime in with some deals on the players I mentioned.

bread's done
Back