Is it against eBay's ToS to ask a buyer to pay a cancellation fee?

wubb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
So I have a buyer that bought a fixed price listing from me late last night and then e-mailed me saying it was late and he was tired and bought my item by mistake not realizing what I was actually selling until he completed the sale.

He then asked if I could cancel 'his bid' and then the listing would go on without him.

Yeah, but it's a fixed price listing so it doesn't work that way. Now I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's just a buyer and doesn't know the ins and outs of selling but this guy has over 600 FB from selling things on that account. That cheeses me off.

My first instinct was to file a NPB strike against their account. One in any given month wouldn't mean much unless this person is a chronic this month.

Anyway, I looked on eBay's answers community forum - looks like you should file a NPB strike since the person can chargeback any Paypal funds later on (not sure if that was covered below; it came to my mind):

http://answercenter.ebay.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1000086431&forumID=6&start=0

http://answercenter.ebay.com/thread.jspa?threadID=900087163&forumID=6&start=0

And eBay's unpaid item form:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/unpaid-item-process.html

You most likely know about the latter since you consult about eBay often, though.

True they could chargeback the PayPal payment. I don't think that's likely here but it is a good point. At any rate I could just not leave FB and if they do hit me with a chargeback I'd be able to neg them at least.

And thanks for those links to eBay forums very helpful.

I think I'll maybe just suck it up and tell him I'll agree to mutually agree to not complete the sale if he initiates it by this evening as it looks like it's technically against eBay's rules. Seems doubtful they'd care but I don't want to chance it over a buck or two. Can the buyer initiate that or do I have to do it? If I have to do it then I leave myself open to getting boned by him denying the request. :bomb:

Then I can relist tonight and I'll only be out the listing fee plus the time of dealing with this PITA situation.

I've run into the same problem a couple of times. I usually ask them to cover whatever my listing fees were. I haven't run into any problems with ebay.

Dude got back to me that it's his girlfriend who does everything on eBay (bet she's having second thoughts about letting him use the account - assuming that's not BS...) and asked if the total would be under $25. Yeesh this guy is a piece of work.

I just got that excuse that his nephew must hav elogged on and bid on the item. I asked him to pay the listing fees and then did a mutually agree not to complete.

All went fine.

I've had a few as well. I always thought about asking for listing fees, but it never seemed worth it with Paypal fees and the hassle. So as annoying as it is I have just eaten it as a cost of doing business on Ebay. I have also started requiring immediate payment on some of my auctions.

Sell on Amazon instead. You don't have to deal with as many flakey buyers and the price premium usually makes up for the higher fees. Plus you always get the payment with no hassles and it is so much quicker to list stuff. I've stopped selling on Ebay because of the conveniences of Amazon.

Well I just filed an unpaid item dispute against this dope.

As mentioned I offered to do a mutually agree to not complete the sale, but he said he'd decided to pay after all and would take care of it late that night. Which turned into paying for it the next day. Which turned into paying for it a few days later. I just told him he could take a few days as long as he pays within 7 days of the listing's close.

Then he asked if I'd send him an invoice for a little less than the total so he could make two payments. (No...) So now it's been a few days and no further word. the auction was 8 days ago and I filed a NPB dispute just now. Not sure if he's going to freak out or what but the dumbass should have taken my offer to walk away a week ago.

Sounds like his g/f or whoever was telling him to stall in hopes you would drop it altogether.

Good on you for sticking to your guns; schmucks like this need to learn not to play on Ebay if you can't act responsibly.

Good luck, and hopefully no retalitory fb comes of this.

i hate these types of transactions. i had a few of these over the years and it annoys me everytime they decided not to do it. i had 1 or 2 successes where they would pay the whole amount of what i spent on ebay fees. i had one guy who chose to only pay a certain amount, so i decided to give him a strike instead.

what a loser...he sould have just turned off his computer
if you can, see if he can just pay a re-listing fee
its 10c to list items now

bread's done
Back