is it bad to sleep with contacts in?

pacemakerguy

CAGiversary!
one of my friends slept for 12 hours with them in once and said he just woke up and moved his eyes and they went back and nothing happened.
another has kept his in for 4 months straight and he's just fine and always sleeps with them and his eyes look normal and don't hurt.
well is it? i read alot saying not to

[quote name='pacemakerguy']well is it? i read alot saying not to[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you answered your own question. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge though.

A lot of contacts claim you can leave them in, which you can, but the most preferable thing to do in terms of safety and health is to take them out at night.

As for me, I can't leave them in for a few hours without my eyes being irritated to all hell, let alone sleep in them.

Depends on the brand. Some you take out every night, others are ok to sleep in. I keep mine in for around 1 - 1 1/2 months straight. I sleep in them every night and they are fine in the morning, maybe a little dry for the first few minutes but then they are fine.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']A lot of contacts claim you can leave them in, which you can, but the most preferable thing to do in terms of safety and health is to take them out at night.
[/QUOTE]

My eye doctor says it's better to have them in day and night because it is less time I'm messing with my eye. I assume in general people probably are not always as clean as they should be and the less time they are shoving their fingers in their eyes and picking out contacts the better. I always wash my hands before messing with my eyes but I'm sure many people do not.

Either way, his claim is that it is more healthy to keep them in for a couple weeks to a month at a time than it is to put them in every morning and take them out every night.

[quote name='mission42']Depends on the brand. Some you take out every night, others are ok to sleep in. I keep mine in for around 1 - 1 1/2 months straight. I sleep in them every night and they are fine in the morning, maybe a little dry for the first few minutes but then they are fine.[/QUOTE]
when u wake up what is it like? do u blink ur eyes a lot? then they r fine

I had contacts a while back and well... I don't have the time nor the patience for them. Not to mention the last brand I had was so bad I felt like I was gouging my eyes out every time I wanted to take it out. But yeah... not good to leave them in overnight.

I've just decide to settle and stay with glasses. I'd rather be partially blind than full blind from scratching my eyes to all hell.

I've always worn mine all the time. When I wake up they're in the same spot they were in when I went to sleep.

[quote name='mission42']My eye doctor says it's better to have them in day and night because it is less time I'm messing with my eye. I assume in general people probably are not always as clean as they should be and the less time they are shoving their fingers in their eyes and picking out contacts the better. I always wash my hands before messing with my eyes but I'm sure many people do not.

Either way, his claim is that it is more healthy to keep them in for a couple weeks to a month at a time than it is to put them in every morning and take them out every night.[/QUOTE]

I can see the logic there. Obviously I'm not an eye doctor so his word should be taken over mine. All I know is my eyes would probably fall out if I did that, but they're more prone to dryness than most eyes.

My eyes feel like there is hard plastic in them when I wake up after sleeping with my contacts on. I read you're supposed to take your contacts out every night you go to sleep because of protein build up in your eye. Every time you blink, your eyelids wipe away anything on your eye, but the contact lense covers that part that gets cleaned so dirty stuff builds up there.

Even if I just fall asleep for 30 minutes with my contacts in my eyes hurt when I wake up. I also have a headache. I say just don't do it. Also you should make a poll.

it takes for ever to put them in it sucks hate putting them in.....u see at the top for the link to my contacts i use?

I wear mine for a month or 2 at a time. My doctor doesn't recommend it, but says it's not horribly bad for you.

It really just depends on your eyes. Some people can and some can't.

Also, daily disposables are almost exactly the same as monthly ones according to my eye doctor.

[quote name='pacemakerguy']it takes for ever to put them in it sucks hate putting them in.....u see at the top for the link to my contacts i use?[/QUOTE]

Really? It only takes me 30 seconds to put them in.

It's better to take them out. I had some the optometrist said I could sleep in like 10 years ago and I did it for a while.

But my eyes felt crappy in the morning and I got a couple eye infections so I stopped.

I've long been wearing Focus Dailies since then, which I love the convenience of just chucking in the trash each night.

[quote name='jaykrue']Hehe. Nice trolling.:applause::roll:[/QUOTE]

thanks. I try. but seriously my eyes feel like crap when I fall asleep with them in even for a few minutes. Don't your guys eyes get dried up?

[quote name='pacemakerguy']when u wake up what is it like? do u blink ur eyes a lot? then they r fine[/QUOTE]

Sometimes they are a bit dry but I don't notice having to blink a lot. I just wake up like normal and my eyes just feel a bit dry then by the time I get up and make my way to the bathroom and take a piss they are feeling fine. Only takes a minute or two for them to rehydrate.

It's just so nice being able to wake up in the middle of the night, roll over, and be able to see the clock or get up and go to the bathroom without trying to find my glasses or whatever.

When I have contacts I take them out nightly. Once I fell asleep with mine in and when I woke up a few hours later they were glued to my eyes. I tried re-wetting them and stuff but they would not come out. Ended up messing with my eyes and they got all irritated and red so I couldn't even touch them so I had to leave the contacts in. Took like 3 days to get them out. I will never sleep with them again! Went back to glasses after that.

Also, my cousin said the same thing has happened to him twice. He sleeps with his contacts in for months. He's gotten 2 eye infections that way. He had to go to the eye doctor and they had to scrape away the infection from his eye. His dad said he was so disgusted watching the procedure. Take caution!

I'm too lazy to take off and then put them back on. but when i do have them on their on 24/7 for a month. nothing happens to me. Only thing is when i wake up i usually have alot of 'eye buggers' the slimy kind i guess from the contacts ??? but no big deal.

One thing to keep in mind for those who want to try sleeping with them in, is there are certain kinds you should get. I.E. certain disposables that are thinner and more breathable and designed to be slept in for 2 weeks or a month or whatever.

Definitely don't do it if you have the type of non-disposable soft lenses you are supposed to sterilize every night, as those aren't very breathable.

In any case, like I said above, I did it before but vastly prefer disposable dailies. Probably takes at most 1 minute to put in (usually much less) and like 10 seconds to take out and chuck in the trash each night. I prefer wearing glasses around the house anyway as contacts tend to bother my eyes after 8-10 hours so I just put them in when I'm going out somewhere and just wear glasses in evening and days I work at home etc.

bread's done
Back